Profile For Todd W.

Todd W.'s Info

5 years, 3 months ago

Todd W.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Training

My employer is offering to give a raise to any non commercial driver that gets a CDL. When I went to inquire about it he said that he did it with the manual and YouTube videos. Does this sound strange to anyone but me?

Unexpected benefit of getting to my delivery early

I know out in California in a town called Lockford south of Stockton is a place called The Lockford Sausage Company that has some of the best jerky from the Rockies west.

In need of some beta testers for a new ProDriver GPS Navigation Device

I would also be interested, while I am still working on getting all of my training done. I am working for a small company moving freight around in a straight truck. Always looking for a better way to get around.

Coolest load ever

That would be easy, we have a coffee roaster as a major account and I sometimes get to deliver several pallets of freshly roasted beans to one of the storage facilities they have for their local delivery drivers in my bobtail.

Good lesson for all of us

Just had a good lesson for all of us happen at the place I currently work at. The other night one of our non commercial drivers took out a class B truck to do his route with. Needless to say he happened to get pulled in for inspection at the weigh station and they busted him for driving out of class and he got a nice expensive ticket from what I heard. Remember to know what you can and cannot do with your license and endorsements. That ticket is going to follow this driver for years to say the least and keep him from a better job as well as other things.

The point is a driver operated a CMV requiring a Class B CDL when his license only allowed him to drive a truck with a GVW under 26000 lbs. I cannot help but call out that your company dispatched this driver in a vehicle he was not qualified to drive and I would suggest it was likely not the first time it happened. What lesson did they learn in all of this? I'd be very leery of them.

I should have been a little more clear in what I said. I think it is important to know what you can drive as well as what you cannot drive, especially if you don't have an endorsement say for doubles/triples. Being aware of these things can save you a lot of stress and keep your good name intact as a driver.

Good lesson for all of us

Dispatcher/manager question

Thanks Bud, I just got a similar chunk of advice from a fellow trucker at another company. I have been trying to employ those tactics and will add what you have that he didn't have. Nice to be able to get sound practical advice for a situation.

Dispatcher/manager question

I currently work for an LTL company in Ca., we have a manager/dispatcher who most of the drivers I have talked with agreed is a bully. She tries to get us to go faster then we should on the road. doesn't understand what it means when you are waiting in line to pick up or drop off freight that you have to wait in line among other things. have any of you out in TT land delt with such a person and how. I always try to be polite and civil, I am far from perfect as a driver, any guidance would be useful.

Don't forget who the customer is!!

This guy is going to burn out or have a heart attack soon at this rate. I am in a lit of the same places every week to drop off and pick up freight. I can assure you that being polite and civilized has got my paperwork done faster and better treatment far faster then any temper tantrum ever could. Yeah I don't like standing around, I also don't like my dispatcher calling every 15 minuts to see if I am rolling again. But I have founddancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif that a little patience saves me tons of stress later on.

OOIDA Chain Law App

I know in CA that we are required to have chins when we go into the mountains. not just a good idea but could really get you out of a being stuck in a ravine.

$500 REWARD ~ Tractor-Trailer stolen from TA/Petro in Carlisle, Pa.

This is one of the reasons where I currently work, the owners constantly remind is to gab the keys when we leave the truck/ We do a lot of work at the San Francisco airport so our trucks are well known so if one gets stolen, imagine what a nut job with a bomb could do at the airport. Not to mention if the truck has a full load of freight on it.

Truck Fleets with automatics transmissions

I can tell you that where I work we have a mix of automatics and stick and I can use either one on a daily basis. About the only time I can get away with specifically asking for an automatic is when I have to take a full load into or out of San Francisco. Other then that you get what you can so it pays to be able to use both.

Thoughts On A Female Driver?

I can tell you that I know several ladies I would rather see behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle then several men I know in the industry. I say it is about the ability to get the job done, not the gender.

Truck Drivers In Cold Weather

I could also add a raincoat to the cold weather gear. Growing up and living my life in Northern California and parts north .I can assure you that wet clothing, even the good stuff will suck the warmth right out of you.

Big building behind the scale house at weigh stations

Having work driving bobtails in Ca. for several years I have been through inspections several times. I find that as long as you are not pulled into the first bay you can usually have about a 20 to 30 minute inspection. Bay one usually means you are going to get the full treatment or they spotted something wrong and you could be in for a long day.

Looking for iinformation

I just had an interview with a freight company here in Ca. and wanted to see if anyone had heard anything about them. They are Called Ryan's Express Freight out of Fremont Ca. and had a lot of the right answers and asked me the right questions. I just like to be diligent if they make me an offer. Any answers or places to get answers would be appreciated.

Truck Driving Trivia

I thought this might be a fun topic for everyone to mull over and reply to. Driving trivia, the thing that got me thinking was the fact that if you could drive a vehicle straight up from the earth it would take you an hour to leave the atmosphere at freeway speeds. Like I said, a little fun, who has something else?

What's In Your Tool Bag?

Found a neat tool called a FUBAR that is a pry bar a 2x4 tweaker and a hammer in one, Mostly it is used in demolition but I like it for the heavy parts you have to move on a truck.

Trucking anhydrous ammonia - complete rookie driver

Or to put it in the simplest terms possible, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I think Barnum said that there is a sucker born every minute and people are out in the world are looking for them.

You might be a trucker if......

You might be a trucker if you hate it when you can't se around the SUV in front of you because you are in your car

You get nervous when you go near a weigh station in your car.