Profile For SQ TierHog

SQ TierHog's Info

Fresno, CA

Considering A Career

4 years, 11 months ago

SQ TierHog's Bio

I've been considering becoming a truck driver for quite some time (as my brother puts it...to 'drive truck', lol) and I stumbled on this website. So far, the few blogs I've read by some of you guys have been very interesting reads. I highly appreciate all the info and insight I've gained from you guys. The input I freely receive here, from all of you folks' trials, tribulations and efforts taken to document it all, will help me tremendously (not to mention, motivate me) in making my decision.

So, I suppose all anyone here needs to know about me is that, although I'm new here and don't even have a license (yet...?), that I'm all ears and eyes and appreciate what you all are puttin' down!

Safe drivin' to you all....

I am to old to become a truck driver.

Hey, I'm 61 and starting training in a few days with Roadmaster. And it is because of TT giving me support to follow my dream! I feel excited and looking forward to the new adventure, like I was 20 again! Don't let age stop you from doing anything.

I'm recently retired, and have for many, many, many of those years wanted to drive. Now, that I'm free to do what I want, I was a bit nervous because of my almost 52 yr. age. Until I found TT. Now, I feel much more comfortable. It's all about that physical. I've already started to get on my 'eat better' program that's helped me lose weight many times. Thanks for posting that concern!

SQ TierHog

New guy wishing information on CA driving schools, as well as any other state.

Scott,

Thank you! Will do that right now. :)

New guy wishing information on CA driving schools, as well as any other state.

Welp,

Just got back from errand running in Fresno, CA. I didn't get to visit, didn't have time for that, but chatted on the phone with a gal from Major Express Trucking School, Fresno, CA. She explained the process they use and how quick they get you started training in a truck, etc.

David, I haven't called Bill yet, maybe today, definitely tomorrow. But, wow, what a nice website, ACI. Gonna look at that today, once I get my boys settled in (the after school pick up program, lol).

Scott...found Trucker Mike on Youtube, yeah, WigWag Productions. Thanks for the hook-up on him! Boy, from little bit of Youtube I saw regarding some Drivers posting some stuff they supposedly shouldn't have. Yikes. Not for me, I think I'll be the quiet one, listening and learning. :)

Drive safe everyone,

SQ TierHog

New guy wishing information on CA driving schools, as well as any other state.

By the way, I'll be watching Youtube from here on out. If you've got a favorite Youtube channel you watch that might suit me well, please let me know. I'm interested in anything that'll give me valuable insight out starting out (I don't even have my license...YET!). So, videos of schools, trucking '101', whatever. And, some of you folks gotta listen to podcasts, so, I'd be happy to have some suggestions come my way, so I can listen while I drive...a regular truck, that is. lol.

Okay, I gotta get out the door to Fresno.

Thanks to you all!

SQ TierHog

New guy wishing information on CA driving schools, as well as any other state.

Daniel, Scott, David...

Wow, thank you gentlemen...I didn't expect such quick replies!

Just after I posted my initial post, I went to the CA school link here on TT (I've visited that link prior to today, but this time I wrote all of the one's from Sacramento to Bakersfield (yeah, there are a lot near the L.A.-Fontana area), then I checked to see your replies, thanks guys!

Daniel..Thanks for that Link you posted, I'll be looking at it later today and I did notice Fontana area. I appreciate you letting me know that it's SoCal's spot, I'll keep that in mind.

Scott...Thanks for those links, I'm all over them! And, I downloaded the android app for CDL test questions Brett provided (thanks Brett!) and I will start the High Road Training as soon as I get home later today.

David...I totally appreciate the personal hook-up you gave me with Bill, I'll call him and tell him you recommended him...then fire some questions at him. I did see and write down Advanced Careers' info.

Thanks again guys!

I won't be able to post too often today, in a few minutes I'm off to Fresno on some personal errands. I'm gonna try and visit one of the schools there, If I get the time today.

Tons of appreciation and proud to be on this site,

SQ TierHog

New guy wishing information on CA driving schools, as well as any other state.

Hi all!

I'd like to start off by thanking Brett for starting this 'place', and also to everyone here who has posted, answered and shared. Thank you all!

Like the topic reads, I'm a new guy to every aspect of trucking and am new to this wonderfully thought out, information packed website. I'm beginning my search for a school and wish to begin that search here in my home state of CA. Since I'm new here, I have spent much of my recent personal time reading posts and the beginner advice topics, such as general info on schools, the types of schools (sponsored or independent), and I am in the process of studying the offerings (posted on this website) of the companies that offer schools, what they provide, etc. However, I'd like to start with CA specific stuff first, then if not satisfied, I'll be willing to go out of state to find that great school. As many have advised here...school is of utmost importance if one is lookin' to 'drive truck'. That being written, if I've started a post that has been started elsewhere here, specific to what I'm posting about, please accept my apology and feel free to 'direct' me to that forum. :)

I feel that if I provide a little info on me, you folks might be able to give me a bit more of a tailored response. So...

I reside in CA, near the Fresno area. As I wrote, I'm willing to travel out of state to a great school if CA doesn't have a school that would be considered by you folks, to be top-notch instruction. While I don't have money to waste, I do have the funds to pay for my schooling. I don't have to suffice with some company's offerings, or sacrifice getting quality training because I'm in desperate need. I'm fortunate to not (at this moment!) be in that position. I have read here that there are some companies that will provide the school, however I must contractually promise that I'll drive for them for a specified amount of time, usually a year. Now, I'd love to save some cash like the next person, so I've got no problem with obligating myself to a company for a specified time to save me the tuition (I gotta drive for someone, right?). BUT, I'm not desperate to get a job (thank goodness) because I've recently retired and have a decent income and benefit package from that retirement. That being said, I can afford (time...and money-wise, if need be) to be choosy with who I train with and get employed by.

While I wish to hear replies from anyone who wants to share where they got their top-notch training (please share!), I'm hoping I'll get replies from you folks who've actually had experience (good or bad...especially bad!) with schools in CA, or at least you know or have known someone who had good things (or like I wrote, 'bad' experience, as well) regarding a CA school.

Can't think of anything else to share that would help you folks give me a tailored response....oh, yeah, one more thing I could add...As far as what type of driving....I'm open to OTR (I think that'd be a great starting experience for me) and any other type of driving and I'm willing to do physical work (helping dockers load, unload, whatever would get me in and out of their place!), however not so physical that part of my driving job is that it be demanded that I load and unload most everyday. I'll save that constant, daily activity for the younger folks (I'll be turning 52 soon). But, again, I am willing and definitely able, to get physical when my doing so would help get the job done. Hope that all makes sense. :)

Well, thanks in advance to any help you all provide me.

Most respectfully,

Old School Appreciation Thread

Daniel,

What a nice topic to start!

Being a new guy here who's never driven a big truck, I'd like to add my appreciation toward Brett (who started it all, I think) and to the rest of you who've taken the much valued time out of your day to post and reply so that everyone, regardless of their 'time in' (especially to us new-comers, of course), maybe benefit hugely from what you all have to say. Thank you! But, this is for Old School specifically, so...thank you sir!

May Mr. Old School's travels be safe and his personal life be filled with happiness...we all need that, most importantly.

SQ TierHog

Is my career over before it starts?

At 6'1"/230 - your BI is 30.3. Under the threshold that companies use - even though that BMI is considered to be on the "threshold of obesity".

BMI Categories: Underweight = <18.5 Normal weight = 18.5–24.9 Overweight = 25–29.9 Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

Trucking companies use from 34-39 to flag people for sleep studies. 130/80 BP is also well in specs for physicals and DOT medical cards.

Rick

Rick, Thank you Sir, for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time and sharing some stats! I have planned on losing 10 to 20 lbs or so, just to be healthier, plus the benefit of dropping the blood pressure, as well. Also, the BMI you mentioned would be a little less of a red flag too. Thank you!

SQ TierHog

Is my career over before it starts?

Rick, thanks for the insight! I'm 6 foot 1 inches, about 230 pounds. while my blood pressure is usually 130's/80's, my regular medical doctor has never recommended high blood pressure meds so I have never been on them. I don't know if my height and weight ratio would be a disqualifier, but these are things I am concerned about when it comes to the DOT physical, or a company physical for that matter. Again, thanks for taking the time to reply to this gentleman's post. I'll be searching this website for information on the physicals. G'LUCK Andre!

Forced Dispatch

I've taken every load without complaint, and have thanked my dispatcher quite a few times for particularly good loads. It paid off yesterday when the only shipper near my drop was a place that is universally hated by drivers. I was resigned to having to go there and mentally preparing myself to dragging three tarps to the top of a 13' load and tarping in 25 mph winds.

Instead of sending me there (40 miles away), he gave me a 220 mile deadhead for a 300 mile no tarp load. I thanked him with extra !!!!s for that!!!

Even with forced dispatch, your relationship with your dispatcher is everything. If you have a good relationship, your dispatcher will know what you really don't like to do and will help you out. I agree with Daniel that it doesn't really matter. What matters is how you handle yourself.

Bud...tremendous insight, thank you!

Forced Dispatch

I wouldn't let it be a factor in my decision making. Theres so much bigger and more important things you have to think about. You won't be turning down loads, especially as a rookie. Honestly, you could really dig yourself a deep grave if you use this "power" often.

So I'm going to go against the tide here and say it doesn't matter. If you aren't forced dispatch that's great, if you are that's great too. This isn't something that should even be a factor in your decision.

Daniel,

Thank you Sir, for that response. I was kinda feeling that's how I'd be operating, especially considering I'm the noob driver. I'm not a push-over, but, I surely don't wanna be the one they're gonna roll their eyes at every time they deal with me. I'd rather be the guy they know'll get the job done. Would I get dumped on (handed what would be considered by experienced drivers 'bad' loads)? Probably. But, I'm the new guy, I'd expect it. Maybe it doesn't matter in this line of work, but, I would want the respect of the senior drivers and I'd expect they've 'earned' the good runs. Heck, they're gonna pay me, right? lol...

Thanks to all who're posting the questions and the folks giving us the answers!

SQ TierHog

REALLY??? Will you turn down questions from rookies at truck stops or will you answer a question or two???

I hope this thread isn't being perceived as an indictment on Schneider. They're not my company, but as far as I know, they're a good and fair company, one that is more respectful to new drivers than other companies.

The fact is, the kind of people who post on this website, drivers who are helpful and proud of what they do, they are in the vast minority of what you will see out there. The people who will post here are people who love the job. The vast majority don't, they are in it for the money, they are selfish, rude and unprofessional, they set a gallon of **** next to the fuel pump, and they are the reason you have to take a 30.

Every company has that driver in vast abundance.

You need to have thick skin and a big stick out here, regardless of what company you're at.

'The Dude'..... Brotha! Thank you for that advice! The job I finally retired from was like that, so, hehe, I'll fit right in out there! lol...

Yeah, I'd figure many folks also might feel uncomfortable about answering questions to what they probably see as strangers....non drivers. At least that's what I might think. Somewhere here, someone did mention that it would be a good idea to approach these folks and ask 'em about their opinions and such. While I'd be okay answering questions to a newbie if I was a driver, I could see where many would not be comfortable with it... they don't know you are who you say you are, etc. That's why I'm glad I found this site. Here, drivers of all levels of experience who respond are obviously okay with 'our' questions and are willing to give us the straight scoop on things. By the way, thank all of you for volunteering your time to be here and help us wanna-be-noobs and noobs.

How I'm feelin' by now, is read as many forum posts as possible, If you don't find the answers within those posts, ask away. The more I stay here (with this website), the more I feel comfortable with suggestions from the administrators of this site and the other drivers that post their opinions and experiences, to make some sound decisions on what to do...and not to do. Considering where I come from (the line of work I retired from), I'm pumped to find out that hey, if I'm not happy somewhere, I can leave! lol. Heck, startin' out new as a driver...it seems the only up front obligation I'd owe a company would be the first year of employment with them. I do feel that would be sufficient time for me to figure out if I'm diggin' it, or not.

Again, thanks you to all folks here, drivers and non-drivers, for all the writing you post. I highly appreciate and consider it all! I value everyone's time put in here, I'm the one reaping the benefits of having a 'heads-up' before I jump in! Thank you!

Unbelievable.......

Thought I'd check in to see if Weatherman got the help he needed. Hope all went well. Since I've never been a driver, I sure didn't think about the other drivers not having on their radios (I didn't think CB's were still used, lol). But, although everyone's on a schedule to make money, wouldn't it have been possible for someone to make an effort to pull over and see if the guy needed help? I could try and imagine that it'd be a pain for other drivers to do that, but, I dunno, it's easy for me to make comment (I probably shouldn't have!) not being a driver. Regardless, wish Weatherman well!

Safe travels,

SQ TierHog

Age discrimination in trucking?

TW, I was totally worried about the age thing (I'll be 52 in april) until I started reading the forums here. It seems that there's many folks older than I am. The only thing I'm concerned about is the physical. I plan on looking around the forums to see what I can find out regarding that issue. Regardless, my attitude is that if I want it bad enough, I'll do what it takes to get in the seat and rollin' down the road! :)

Thanks for the post, G'luck to ya!

Unbelievable.......

So I'm sitting on the shoulder of I 20 near Covington, Georgia for almost an hour now with an exploded inside trailer tire. At least 150 trucks have passed by and not one call on the CB asking, "You alright there driver?" Its so sad out here the way things are now. wtf.gifwtf-2.gif moo

Hey brother,

I promise ya, if I saw ya, I'd make the effort and take time to help. Good Karma. Regardless, I know a post doesn't help you, but, hopefully help will be there to save the day (or night!). Be safe.

MILLIS TRANSFER Recruiters

Thought their was something better out there but I will go to Swift and be the best employee possible and always remember they gave me a chance when no one else did!!!!!

Have you tried Prime, Inc.?? Best of the big training companies as far as pay and other considerations . . . just wondering . . .

Jopa

smile.gif

If you have any questions about Prime... I'll be glad to answer them. Ive been with them for 3 years now I am a Certified CDL Instructor with them and I've been training students for almost 2 of those years

Terry, Thanks for that offer about answering questions. I sent ya a PM.

New Life - Fullfilling A Dream

David, Wow, thanks for that post! Thanks for serving our country, standard phrase nowadays, but, I do mean that. I was Navy, early 80's. Congratulations on your retirement! I surely know how that feels, I retired on my 50th birthday (State of CA), was the best present to myself , was a very long road getting there. Like you, I've many, many times wondered what it would be like and wished I could "drive truck" (as someone once told me it was called). But, I couldn't apply because I had too much invested in my line of work to quit. Well, like you, I made it finally. And, as I'm sure you know how it feels, I'm free now, to do what I want! So, first that came to my mind was...lol...yep...Drive Truck!! lol. I found this place (TT) not too long ago and as I read the stories, I find myself getting that twitchy feeling in my gut, an excited feeling, a feeling like when you're a kid. Dumb feeling I know, to feel that way at such an older age... Anyhow, I wanted to thank you for sharing here, congratulate you on your CDL exam and wish you the best of luck with Schneider.

Best of luck,

Davey and CDL

Dave, you may think I'm crazy, but I want to challenge you to forget about even looking at that Texas CMV handbook. Trust me on this - you're going to ace those exams just by using the High Road Training Program and you're retention of the material will be there whenever you need it. I hope you'll take my advice, because I can guarantee you it's solid and proven.

Old School, Thank for sharing that!

Swift Orientation, Memphis, TN

Errol, Sir, thank you tons, for posting your journal! I learned a few things, one of which is being concerned that my age (52 in april) was gonna get in the way of me being hired by a reputable company. You're in your early 60's, that made me feel a bit better. :) I do have a few questions about the physicals, but I'll look around the forums before I bug anyone with my concerns. It seems that other than the backup skills (although I consider myself a damn good driver, even in reverse, I'd be sweatin' bullets on backin' up the trailer), that driver 'clock' is tedious. Tryin' to get your runs done while staying within the legal driving time limits is a juggling act.

Anyhow, just wished to share with you that I'm glad you started your journal as you were beginning school, you gave me a little insight there, as well.

Thanks and safe driving to you Sir!