Comments By Jason C.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/trucks-parked2.jpg avatar
  • Jason C.
  • Comments:

4 weeks into shcool

I don't get that, just hope it don't effect you to much goin from 30' to 53'. Its all about angles. I've gotta improve my offset backing this last week. Good luck!

4 weeks into shcool

Why are you not using a 53' trailer. That's crazy. I start my 4th week tommorrow and we been drivin and pretrippin a 53 footer since day 1.

Shifting

I really wish we could drive loaded in school but I understand why we dont. But just to get the feel of starting in 2nd, we start off in 4th in class. I struggled with downshifting but Ive gotten it down, its fairly easy using the MPH. Man, riding up that high u see everything from a whole new view, especially ****ty drivers and rude ones. We have been honked at and cut off numerous times, and I know that big student driver tape makes them nervous, make a wide right with cars sitting there and watch them pucker up, hilarious.

Shifting

You wont be at a disadvantsge and yes it will definately be taught in school. They actually prefer you not know how to drive a stick, well mine did. Say its easier to teach somebody that never has vice someone who has because you gotta break then of their 5 speed cars.

Shifting

I felt the same way. Its really easier than you think it is. Im about to start my fourth week of school and Im shifting really well. We use a 10 speed. Its basic and easy to learn. You can google the shift pattern and that would help a little. A easy way to determine what gear u should be in is look at he MPH and add it up. So 35 equals 8th gear. Downshifting is a little tougher than shifting up the gears but just remember the MPH thing again. So your rollin at 45, which is 9th gear, so slow on down to 35 and clutch out, rev up the rpms and downshift to 8th gear. You have a hi/low range selector switch, make sure when your shifting from 5-6 and downshifting from 6-5 you make sure itd in the correct position. Down for gears 1-5. Up for gears 6-10. Dont know if this helps but you will learn it and be like this isnt so bad. Just timing a finesse. The clutch is somehing else you have to get used to, gettimg that left foot accustomed to doing something. Anyway, then you float gears one day, and you ask why eveb clutch it out. Easy as pie.

GONNA GET TO PRACTICE FOR REAL..... :-D

Thats awesome, must admit I'm jeolous. Enjoy the training trip!

Still pursuing that flat-bed dream

Ditto to Guy's post, you could have gave up old school but you are a perfect example of hard work and determination. My last week of school is next week then plan on heading to TMC, can't wait to learn flat bedding. It sounds tough, but its better once you kesrn it I'm sure plus its a workout everyday. Can't wait to see more of your updates old school, keep it up! Awesome job!!

Pre hired with TMC

I'm pre hired with TMC to, graduate May 8th, can't wait to go thru their training and drive those nice trucks!

I'd like some advice on becoming a truck driver....

The Highroad series is a amazing tool. I started it but did not finish it, just gotta stay with it. I must admit that my learning and testing would have been much easier and smoother had i finished the training. I cant stress enough how important it is. Dont do like I did and start and then get sidetracked like I did. You will learn it all school, but it will be fresh already. I did well, but would have done better had I finished Bretts training.

Had to turn down a kenworth truck! at Prime

Unsafe is the main reason to deny of course. And your years of service shoukd give you pick of the litter. Im trying to go to work asap, and unless the truck is safe and just a pos, then im takin it. Im not knockin capone cause hes setting himself up for his own success, and if he feels like he dont want it cool just crazy thst he did it lol.

Are you a bad American?

Very moving piece!

Had to turn down a kenworth truck! at Prime

Wow, speechless as well. Man I don't care what truck I get, I'll drive the hell out of it. You must not be wanting to get payed yet lol.

I've seen so many truckers that have served our country that its time I give them their "props"

Thank you starcar, it was a honor to serve this country as a US Marine. Can't wait to honor it as a driver. 8 yrs-USMC

I'd like some advice on becoming a truck driver....

I'm in school now in my 3rd week and I was nervous about it all, never drove a stick nor used a clutch, never driven anything bigger than at 26' Uhaul and now I'm driving and backing this big beast. You will improve everyday, and then once it clicks it gets better. Just go with it and follow your gut ya know. If YOU wanna do it then do it, don't let other people decide for you. Then when u succeed all the people that doubted you will feel dumb lol. Everyday I wake up ready to learn, can't wait to go with a trainer, that's where the real learning begins. I'm sure there are some bad ones but if you happen to get one and don't like how your treated, deal with it or if its really bad request a new one. Good luck!!

Reconnect – Recharge – Resupply

Nice to hear! Can't beat being home. You've have hit the ground running, keep it up.

Start CDL School Monday!

It feels good to be out. Im happier, feels good to be in school and learning this new occupation. Week 3 starts today, tryin to get my driving skills better everyday. Im gettin there, lesrnimg from my mistakes ha ha. When u comin home man.

Final Decision

Good luck!

Well Here We go

Congrats! Good luck

Started as a trainer on dedicated account. A trainer's perspective.

I know right. We got it!

Dont feel bad

How humbling of ya to share that story. Rookie or vet, mistakes can be made. Man, u was in a hell of a jam. Never know what the day could bring. Good job on handling it, could have turned out real bad. I was driving last week in school rookie talk but anyway I learned a good lesson. I was stopped on a 4 lane divided highway which is cake to a normal trucker right. Well I wait for traffic to clear and I get into the intersection to make my turn and here a car comes, and I freeze with my trailer in the oncoming lane. Its so much muscle memory to get rid of what u know in a car to driving a big rig. I know what I did wrong, but my body was like hold up. I was already committed to the turn so I had to go just so used to stopping I guess. Anyway, rookie mistake. But man did I feel stupid. Lesson learned.