Profile For David H.

David H.'s Bio

Starting SWIFT academy in Richmond, Va. Next month

Pre trip inspection

Looks like a SWIFT future

Thanks I'll remember that

Pre trip inspection

Can't find it on here forgot who posted had pics

Looks like a SWIFT future

I start their training academy next month in Richmond, VA. A NY suggestions or anyone been through there?

Just want to say please be careful

Anyone driving through extreme northwest or northeast in next 36-48 hours please be careful looks like another Sunday through Monday storm of large proportions. Just want everyone to know I may not be on the road yet but my family and I think about everyone of you and your safety.

Dave

How Do You Get Loaded Or Unloaded Early?

I agree with Woody I was a dock receiver for diapers.com up here and I can agree with what he says. I know I got points for the amount of merchandise I received per hour so I would try to fit drivers in as long as they were being polite about it or stay a lil late to finish unloading if they were close to end of my shift but were very early on delivery.again All warehouse and receivers are different but politeness and manners go a long way between "sure buddy I can squeeze you in" and "sorry bud schedule is full you have to come back at your scheduled time."

Question about keeping entertained on road?

Do most trucks have CD players? Satellite radio? Is listening to music while driving a good/bad idea?do most trucks have wifi or to I need hot spot? What luxuries? Like fridge/cooler,TV/DVD player?,microwave? How hard is it to use cpap machine in truck for those with aspnea? Etc

My truck has a satellite radio built in but I am responsible to pay for it. Invaluable must have. It has a mount for a flat screen TV but I bought the TV/DVD combo unit that I put in, but i find i dont use it as much as i thought i would. I also had to add the refrig and microwave. These will save you a lot of money over eating in restaurants and are must haves. Our new company trucks have them built in.

Without a doubt I get the most pleasure from audio books. I buy them with my points from the various truck stops but the library in my hometown has a great program where you can download audio books online for a month. Saves lots of money.

One thing...audio books require some level of focus so I never listen to them driving through cities, construction or in poor road conditions. Watercolors jazz channel on Sirius radio is great then.

Tracy

thank you Brett and Tracy just thinking of budget for down the road don't want to leave family in a bind if I spend too much too soon but now can look into these items a lil at a time until finished schooling and solo driving

Any florida drivers

I plan on moving to Flat. By Jan so I would love to read a blog about Fla or any other state for info on rough traffic areas etc.

Ok last question for a few days

Northeast Pa. Sorry

Ok last question for a few days

Thanks Steve, up here in north east PS. Our Walmart don't mimf so oi get some small talk from drivers

Pre-Trip Inspection - My Way! A must see!

Thank you Daniel, The pocsd help explain so much for those of us who haven't been that close to trucks for inspection. I'm a visual person so this makes it much easdier to learn

Ok last question for a few days

Thanks Rob I will to that

How to find out which companies have terminals around Orlando

That what also think I just have to make sure driveway big enough for tractor and one or two cars lol

Ok last question for a few days

Thanks makes sense

How to find out which companies have terminals around Orlando

Thank you Gunner really helps me know who to contact and research

Ok last question for a few days

Family looking into moving to Fla. By Jan. I have not found answer to these questions my wife asked concerning diving . 1- do I get assigned tractor and trailer? I see every company assigns tractor but read on here others talking about they had to clean out trailer or pull nails from floor 2- do I park it home when on home time? This one so can get info of what places allow truck into neighborhood when buying house and need to know for driveway 3- if don't bring home truck where do I park it? I promise no more questions til at least Tues don't want to be pain in ass bothering everyone

Again thank you for comments and knowledge

Dave

The one question I have not found definitive answer for

OK great just thinking ahead to start picking supplies when I can so I have when solo is all you know give list to family for possible birthday or Christmas gifts .things I need to research to see best on market vs if right size for truck storage space needed power needed etc. Not trying to put cart before horse just looking at future expenses and budget accordingly is all

The one question I have not found definitive answer for

I have read the articles here and posts but most cover clothes and bedding. I actually wanting real necessities other then that. Like GPS or motor carrier atlas ( where do I get one), tire gauge,do I need night stick to check tires or use for leverage?, basic tool kit?do need my pocket knife?,do I buy load locks and lock kit? (I sawone company on here requires it), I know stock up on fuses, bulbs, oil, coolant, wipers, window cleaner etc at terminals but what else is needed?

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

I just googled them no address but seems like a third party company one line on the page talked about filing paperwork to help you start your own company so I'm not sure who/what they are

The one question I have not found definitive answer for

What's really needed to be carried by drivers? Gloves,flashlight,atlas/GPS,any basic tools? stuff not provided by company I know stock up on fuses,oil,wipers coolant,washer child etc I wanna know what really needed I have to provide myself Do all trucks have CB's etc. What will make myjob easier on a daily basis?