Profile For Sammy Clue

Sammy Clue's Info

Charlotte , NC

Experienced Driver

4 years, 8 months ago

Sammy Clue's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

I'm pretty sure frieght is slow but..

*cap = Crap

I'm pretty sure frieght is slow but..

Me personally? I would do it. Money is money and doing the cap runs will show the company that you can be trusted to run whatever in return will come back to you in another good run.

I get ask all the time to do those under 50 runs and as a result I spend no time sitting staring at a parking lot and not making money.

But that's just me.

I don't want to do 65 (Or under) for my career..

1. I am not making a decision on a company based on the fact of speed governors alone. As I have said and had conversation with many people, I understand the reason for governors. But to govern 1 type of vehicle and not the other is ridiculous.

*The Government - Lets make the biggest vehicles go 15-20mph slower than cars/trucks, thus forcing all trucks to maintain their position in a single lane which will cause miles and miles of nothing but a line of trucks traveling the highway in the right lane. Which happens to be the merge ON lane AND the merge OFF lane..

Makes sense yeah? good-luck.gif

2. I don't want a local job because I currently don't have a home and practically live in the truck except when I stay with a friend for a few days every few months during off time. Seeing as I have been offered over 12 local jobs thus far and non of which pay even close to the .29cpm I make now. Plus having a house payment, utilities, food, gas, etc.. while working a local job would be a few step backwards from where I was in automotive.. by a couple hundred dollars backwards.

3.confused.gif I am not really sure where to go from here. I guess i'll just go with Trans Carriers pulling another dry van seeing as they offer the most pay out of the 51 I spoke with. Still a month to figure out a plan.

I don't want to do 65 (Or under) for my career..

Hello everyone! Hope all is well in your world.

So as I grow closer to being completed with my contract with PAM I am rally bothered by the fact that of the 51 companies I have spoken to, ALL of them are governed at 65mph or less but travel roads set at 75-80mph. I really enjoy trucking and have thought for a very long time before ever getting into it. But after driving a slow truck (63.9mph) for a year now, I can tell you it really is a horrible feeling (To me anyway) to be constantly holding up traffic, getting forced to always slow down for merging traffic, forced to stay in the fast lane after allowing slow traffic to merge and them not allowing me to get back over, cars constantly passing on the right when I move over for a emergency vehicle on the side of the highway and being passed by every car/truck on the road everyday for 10-11 hours a day.

I have searched long and hard to find a company that isn't doing the slow truck thing and have had 0 luck. I mean, I don't want to be doing 75-80mph down the highway, But if I could just find a company that would do at least 68 when traveling highways set to 75-80, I could be out of this "slow truck" crowd and feel a bit safer I'm sure.

My main question is..

Are there any companies that hire out of North Carolina that are known to meet such standards? Or will I be forced to do a LP just to have the freedom to do 68 or better?

Will I spend my career in trucking, traveling the country at 65mph?

Is PAM a good choice for female

Oh and as far as those "You pay for out of route miles" goes? I personally know a driver that was in FTA in Asheboro with me that is still with PAM. He went 244 miles out of route because he input the wrong route into his GPS and PAM was like "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?", "Please don't do that again..."

Not saying they won't charge him if he does that again, but he made a mistake and they understood and forgave him.

Is PAM a good choice for female

Hello. I am finishing up my CDL training here in NC and test Monday. Some may remember me as the police officer from NC who signed on a year ago when I was preparing to retire. Anyway, I am in school under a contract with P.A.M. Transport. I am a very loyal person and so appreciative that PAM has given me a chance to learn and drive for them. However I am hearing horror stories about pay and how they treat their drivers. I don't take everything I hear as gospel but I am curious as to the opinions of others here at TT. I really don't want to jump ship after my year but rather grow with the company and do a great job and become a mentor. Then again I worry if my efforts will be appreciated. Am I making a good career choice? Oh, and there is a rumor going around here at school that if you miss an exit ramp with PAM during your route you have to pay for each mile you go pass the exit off the route. Please tell me that is not the case.... thanks. DG

I've been with PAM now for almost a year, went through the training school in Asheboro, NC last year. Started officially driving for PAM on 4/20/15 and as I grow closer to ending my contract period I am starting to doubt looking for a different company really. I get good miles each week, I make decent pay each week, I drive a good running truck and my DM is a amazing person who does all he can to make sure I keep running.

I work hard (Well as hard as you can driving a truck.), I don't argue when I get a load I don't really want to do like NY or NJ, I just do it and it really pays off. I am to a point now where my DM will ask me where it is I want to go next and I get to choose my next run and will even call me just to "shoot the s**t". Granted the pay isn't as good as a lot of companies that I have spoken to (And I have spoken to well over 40 companies in the last month searching for better pay) and it seems the average pay for SOLO drivers is about 36-38cpm for driving dry van, 38-42cpm for Reefer, 42-45cpm for non haz tanker, and 44-48cpm for flatbed. Which does put PAM on the low side of pay for sure seeing as I get .29cpm right now and come MAY 15th it goes to .32cpm. But I like my DM, I have grown use to the runs/routes, I know how to handle the shippers, I get good miles and I don't have a hard time getting home when I want.

Never-the-less, if you put forth the effort and show you are a valuable asset to daily operations, you will get miles and keep a pay check coming in. But my DM tells me stories about a lot of the drivers he alone has on his board that are just incredibly lazy, fussy drivers who just complain about things and can't be trusted to get loads to there locations on time. So those are the drivers that don't get loads and don't make money and end up quitting and they owe Driver Solutions/PAM money for breaking the contract.

All in all, I am not disappointed with PAM. They covered schooling/training, paid me while in schooling/training/orientation/while with mentor. Got a guarantee during the first 6 weeks or so of $500 a week if it was slow (Which I only got twice, always gotten over 500 a week since) when I got upgraded to first seat, and I been running steady ever since.

Hope my ramblings help, Good luck to you!

MythBusters Truck Wedge

Yea, that was pretty cool. Enjoyed watching that! Sometimes you just wanna do that on some of these roadways during those crazy days. rofl-3.gif

Looking for a change!!

Well I can speak for PAM somewhat. The company as a whole is okay. They have their problems just as anyone else im sure, but they are a "Training" company. I am about to finish my 1 year contract with them come April 20th and though I will miss my DM, I am looking forward to finding a new company that will treat me as good or better then PAM has. I get good miles and average 2600-3200 miles a week.

If you go through their sponsored schooling you agree to 1 year of driving for them and 6 months team within that year.

If you quit or get fired before the 1 year you are obligated to pay $6000 back to Driver Solutions for braking your contract.

Check em out, hope others charm in with other options.

A small log I typed to give am idea of what to expect.

Good luck!

Air Brake test

Don't worry so much about memorizing the bleed down test as of right now. Focus on the entirety of the Pre-Trip so when you get into class and watch someone do it you can run it through your head and follow along. When you get into a truck the Air Brake test will become clear.

Question about 1099

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking that there had to be a lot more to it than what was mentioned. Also talked to the cat while driving my shift today so not really concentrating on the conversation to be able to ask all the important questions.

Will push this one to the side and move on to the next.

Question about 1099

Hello everyone so I received a call from a company that has flatbed positions open and I would be driving one of their trucks that they will have Leased to csrt/Malone. I would attend CRST orientation which is 4 days and then I would be driving for the company that called me but hauling loads for Malone . Sea pay is $0.50 per mile $25 tarp and anywhere from 2500 to 3300 miles per week.

Now still being new to the trucking industry he explains that I would be operating as a owner operator without actually being a owner operator they will cover the cost of fuel all maintenance and tolls I would just be driving the truck and then doing my own taxes.

Any thoughts on this it sounds like a good deal but I'm not sure so I come to you for advice

Naked Woman Climbs On Top Of Big Rig After Crash On Highway

The driver is still in the truck! HAHA rofl-3.gif

The CDL School

$8000 is a pretty steep price indeed. Especially if you are paying out of pocket. The School I went to in NC was $6000 company sponsored w/ 1 year contract or a tad under $4000 if out of pocket.

There are tons of options out there, do as AnchorMan recommends and check the listings and even run some google searches. You can definitely find a better deal than that.

Backing fun, how would you go about getting a truck down my drive?

Also if you have a bit of trouble, try sliding the tandems all the way up on the trailer, that will help with the turning radius.

Backing fun, how would you go about getting a truck down my drive?

Based on the Orientation of the Maps Photo? Come in from the South and Site Side it in would be the easiest. Just be sure it can hold the weight. Looks to be just dirt, also looks sorta like a 1 lane road so you may need to widen the entrance a bit so you have the room to maneuver properly.

What type of drug testing is done at major trucking companies?

As for the OP question, PAM Transport does Urine testing.

Good luck

What type of drug testing is done at major trucking companies?

Im kinda nervous as to why anyone would ask this personally. To me this type of question leaves me to believe drugs were used and your worried about what kind of test there is so you dont get popped with a dirty drop.

Anyway I know when I got my job with Modular it was just a urine test. Good luck.

I get tired of seeing responses like this. You have no right to judge anyone at all. You have no idea what people go through in their life. I ask this question personally on several different forums not just here on TT. It is a very important question indeed and you all should just give straight answers instead of being "******s". I smoked Marijuana since I was 15 years old up until I was 29 (Last year) and quit to become a truck driver, haven't thought about smoking it again since. So am I a bad person? Does that make me a Unsafe driver or a ignorant human being? NO it does not.

This question is ask because whether you realize it or not, it takes Marijuana 30-90 days to leave the system to pass a Urine test and could take over a 1 YEAR to leave the Hair. So if someone who is going through anything like I was and is leaving a career of 18 years and trying to do something new and has VERY LITTLE TIME to make a decision, this is the most important question of all.

Most of the population that uses Marijuana are not bad people, we work hard, we pay our bills, we take care of our families and we function just as anyone else. Stop making assumptions based on maybe one person you know or making accusations based of media reports. Just answer the question, be helpful, this is a FORUM used to get HELP. Not be judged...

Sad to say it but if you are worried about a drug test... You probably should not consider driving as a career. I read what Brett wrote but still... I am pretty sure they are screening for THC, cocaine, meth, and opiates... If you don't have a scrip then diazapam, alprazolam, and clonazepam use should also keep you from driving. Had a tooth removed you should have dental records that would support taking something for that and should be justified.

Driving a rig is all about safety.. I for one don't want to see someone that should be in rehab behind the wheel.

.....

Building A Relationship With Your Dispatcher

As I grow closer to finishing out my contract with PAM I can not agree with this enough. Out of the 4 classmates that are still with PAM, I am the one that gets to "Pick his own loads" on quite a few loads. But when talking to others they are just assigned a load at random and if they refuse said load then they will be sitting for quite a while waiting on the next. Me and my Dispatcher have a excellent relationship to the point that he will call be almost every morning and ask how I'm doing, then we will end up talking for 10-20 minutes about non sense until I make him get off the phone with me and get to work.

Drivers Solutions/PAM Transport Training Log.

Hello again everyone. Sorry for not keeping an eye on this topic but I have been really busy.

sorry.gif

So here is an update for those whom are still thinking about, whom are already undertaking, or whom are not so sure what is going on with PAM Transport in general.

So here it is 03/05/16, and I am just a tad over a month away from completing my Contract with PAM (04/20/16). So here is some information about what I have been through in the last 11 months.

PAM as a whole is not a bad company to work for, and I seriously mean that. I have had very little problems in the grand scheme of things with PAM. But I will tell the good and the bad as best I can.

The GOOD: -If you just do your job and drive, you will get the miles.

-They have never messed up on my pay.

-You will get a lot of long haul runs (1200-2000 miles one way)

-You as a new driver are expected to make mistakes and they understand that and help you the best they can.

-The Equipment is in very good condition (I have drove 2 2015 International ProStar 10 Speeds with no issues at all)

-The DMs that I have dealt with (3 in total as MAIN DMs) are good people who want to see you make money. They do their job as long as you do yours.

- (My personal experience and talking to friends whom I met in school) You will do very little North East runs. But you will go to Michigan a lot. Deal with it.

** And I'm sure there is more but I can not think of it as i sit here typing this.

The BAD -*Almost all load assignments that I have ran over this last 11 months (164 loads to date) are incorrect in some way, whether it be incorrect Pick-Up numbers, Incorrect addresses, Incorrect Pick-Up & Delivery times or getting assigned a load that was also assigned to another driver by a different DM/Department.

** This is a BIG one!! Do your research on every load you receive!! Get on Google Maps and find the place, Use the 'Request Directions" Macro and compare what it says to where your Load assignment says. DO NOT JUST INPUT THE ADDRESS AND DRIVE, YOU WILL GO TO THE WRONG PLACE/STREET/CITY/STATE!! (I had a load that said to deliver in TN and it was actually in KY) Do not take this lightly, triple check everything.

- (From a friend) The Log department will put you on "Probation" for not operating your Qualcomm correctly. Even when you are team driving and your team driver does not fill out his Macros/Load tab correctly you will also be punished for the mistake. PAM insist that you babysit one another and be sure everything is done correctly. Failure to do so will result in you being punished as one. Don't slip!

- You will be dealing with Laredo, TX A LOT!! Ending up in Laredo, TX give a good 60-75% chance that you will spend the weekend there if you show up late Friday night or Saturday/Sunday. The Border closes @ about 5pm friday, is only open a few hours Saturday (2-3 hours) and a few hours Sunday (2-3 hours). Loads get hard to come buy unless you build a good rep with your DM, CSR and Planner. You work hard, you get loads to get you out when others sit. (From personal experience I have been chosen to run loads over others because I run hard and get all loads there on time or Early without questions or complaints)

**I'm sure there is more, just not coming to mind at this moment**

All in all? PAM is a decent company to start driving for. Work hard and show you are worth the investment and you will be rewarded for your service.

Some things you may want yo know: Pay scale - -First 6 months 0.175 (17.5 cents per mile) Team driving (Required for a total of 6 months within the first year) -Second 6 months 0.19 (19 cents per mile) Team driving -Second 6 months 0.25 (25 cents per mile) Solo driving -1 year of driving 0.29 (29 cents per mile) Solo driving -1 year 1 month of driving 0.32 (32 cents per mile) Solo driving

As of the day of this reply, this is the current scale. It may change, it may not.

Where all do you go driver? -CA, AZ, TX, AR, LA, MS, AL, FL, GA, SC, NC, TN, KY, OH, MI, VA, WVA, MD, ME, PA, NJ, NY. Not much more than that.

I have personally seen many come and go. I personally try and stick to my commitments and finish what I start no matter how hard it is sometimes. But I am what seems to be a rare breed now a days. So if you really want to get into driving a truck and think you have what it takes, jump on in and get it done. Keep your record clean, ask questions when ever you have them and don't listen to cry baby steering wheel holders who think they live on cloud nine. Make your own assumptions and think for yourself. Out of my class in school there are only 4 of us still with PAM, out of the class after ours there are only 2 left.

No one said it would be easy.

Please if you have questions or anything please feel free to send me a email @ dschristenbury@gmail.com as I can check that a lot more often then the forums.

Just want to say thanks again to this site for all the information it provided before I even went into school to start training, it put me so far ahead of the other students that knew nothing when we all showed up and it made a world of difference. Do not overlook the study material here. USE IT! It's FREE!!

GPS Placement.

Thanks, will move mine down to the bottom.