Comments By hamrhed12

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/red-truck-nose.jpg avatar
  • hamrhed12
  • Comments:

HAZMAT Practice Exam

Hey Hamrhed,

Mind if I ask what school you went to in Jax?

Not at all. Florida Coast Career Tech, a division of Florida State College Jacksonville. It's a 320 hr. program.

HAZMAT Practice Exam

Thanks. I'll have a look at that.

Hey, man, no rush. I just went down to the DMV and smoked that exam!

HAZMAT Practice Exam

I think there's supposed to be a "both" answer that isn't there. I'm gonna take a look at that one. Just skip it for now.

Brett - it's question #10 in the first of four sets of HAZMAT practice questions. Here's the whole cut and paste with the given answer:

10. Your load includes 20 pounds of division 2.3 gas and .1001 pounds of flammable gas. What placard do you need? A. Flammable B. Explosive C. Poison

⊟ Answer

B. Explosive

I told you this is a tough test. Know the rules about flammable gases.

Progress

Hey man, Congrats! I have been on the road all week, and finally got some layover time to crank up the lap top. Good to hear you made it through. We both came on the web site around the same time, took different paths to it and got there. Now I am sitting in my truck, in the rain, at a truck stop in Tacoma Wa worrying about getting a load out of here. Hope you get out there soon. It has all the highs and lows just like the experienced people here ave told us. Overall though, I am loving it.

TROUB!!! Man, I've been wondering when you'd come up for air! Great to hear you're lovin' it overall. Right now, I feel like a serviceman waiting to go on deployment. I've read a lot about what to expect, heard even more, but I have to experience it for myself to get the real scoop. Lock and load!

Starcar, how are you at backing a pickup with no trailer? One old ex-trucker told me he could back a 53 footer into any slot from any angle, but he can't back a car or pickup unattached to save his life!!

HAZMAT Practice Exam

I haven't seen the question yet in the training but, based on what you've written I'd say you need both, the flammable placard (1,001 lb or more of 2.1 flammable gas)AND the poison placard (any amount of 2.3).

I don't believe you can use the Dangerous placard because of the 2.3 which is a Table 1 hazmat item.

Is that the whole question?

I would agree with you, but both is not an option and the answer given is 'EXPLOSIVE'. Makes no sense to me whatsoever. And, yes, that is the whole question...I did a cut and paste from the practice exam on this site.

HAZMAT Practice Exam

There is a question on the HAZMAT Practice Exam in the CDL Training Materials that is driving me nuts:

A. Flammable B. Explosive C. Poison

The answer given is B, Explosive. How does this combination of class 2 materials become a class 1 material? And, a division 2.3 gas is poisonous, requiring a placard in any amount. But, explosive??

I've literally spent hours studying the training guide, and I'm just not finding why this is the answer. Any help from anyone, so that I can move on, would be greatly appreciated!

Progress

When I land on my feet, I can only hope to get a trainer as helpful and solid in what he knows as you, Guy. Thanks for the post.

And, Starcar, yeah, I'm sure we looked like a couple of hillbillies out on a lark! But, there was this older gentleman in a pickup truck that drove over by us and gave us the benefit of his experience. He told us to try your trick; hands at the bottom of the wheel!

Progress

HOT DANG !!!!! and you were worried....

Hey, Starcar! You know, renting that U-Haul trailer during spring break really helped with the fundamentals. Now, I just want to get out there and get at it before I go cold on everything I've learned!

Progress

Old School, you really have some serious insight into this. I was speaking to the Instruction Program Mgr. at our grad party this a.m., and he gave me pretty much the same advice. Time to rethink and reconsider.

Thanks!

Potty Break

Us "older" guys can have the same problem, but then we can just hook our arm through the stearing wheel and use a "whiz jar" without even slowing down.

You ladies, unfortunately, might have to stop the truck!

Progress

Way to go man! You make me proud! I knew you could do this, all along I had faith in ya! So what's your next move?

Today we graduate...and PARTY! I plan to study this weekend and go for the HAZMAT next Monday or Tuesday (already have doubles/triples & tankers), then I put myself up on the auction block.

Was all set to go with one company I had a pre-hire from, but then I found out I'd have to bring the truck and trailer home if I ever wanted to get home! Don't know what I'd do with them...I live in the burbs, 2 miles from the nearest truck route, and their nearest terminal is 6 hours away.

Time to throw out some more bait, I suppose!

Pre-Trip *check*

In-Cab *check*

Skills Pad *check*

Road Test *check*

CDL-A dancing-banana.gif

Progress

Hamrhed...I'll let someone else say whether renting a trailer to practice with would be a good idea..Is the campus totally closed for the whole week ??? Maybe it would of been nice if they had had an instructor who was willing to spend some time a few days that week, with those that wanted to practice...The trailer isn't a bad idea...I'm just wonderin' if it would be worth what ya get out of it.

The campus is closed, totally. Several students have inquired about extra instruction for those of us that are struggling, for an additional fee, of course, but the answer has always been that it's against school policy.

Progress

What a week! It was Friday before I was able to knock out a perfect alley dock...went 3 for 4. We were evaluated for progress on Wednesday, and I knocked out an offset, but in practicing them on Thursday and Friday I was all over the pad. Terrible! Been so discouraged, this is the first time I've been back to the forum all week. So, Crazy Reb, I'll try your perspective of looking at it the next time.

Now, here's the rub. Spring Break. We are off for an entire week, then we test out, skills and road test. It wouldn't be so bad if this was the kind of test we could study for, but skills are all about practice, and we can't.

This student friend and I are thinking of renting the biggest U-haul trailer we can find and using that one day next week just to practice backing up. I know the dimensions and perspective will be off, but we figure it's got to be better than doing nothing.

Or, do you guys and gals think it would do more harm than good? confused.gif

Progress

I can parallel park to the right or to the left, but my offsets have regressed to worse than awful. What's wrong with THAT picture? One should be able to offset decently before they can parallel park. We start alley docking next week, and I Hate to add that to the repertoire before I conquer the other.

Perhaps I should change the title to this thread!

On the Road Again!

That's great news Old School. I hope TMC appreciates what they're getting.

Hammer down, my friend!

Progress

Best friends I never met!! thank-you.gif

Progress

Dang, Old School...you very nearly put a tear in my eye and a croak in my throat! When you're done with this, you and Brett should team up. You two could be the Norman Vincent Peale's of trucking! In the meantime, though, I'll be looking for you in that flatbed. I intend to collect my handshake and buy you a cup of Joe!

And thanks to you too, Daniel B. I think I'll be okay once I get rid of the sensation of turning the wrong direction when I'm backing a trailer! It feels so weird...almost like an amusement ride that's intended to mess with your senses.

I'll get it. I just have to keep hacking away. Thanks to all for sharing your sentiments.

Progress

Brett - I sometimes wonder if I will ever be as mature as you. I spend almost as much time beating myself up as I do evaluating. I doubt I've had 5 hours behind the wheel on the pad, and before this week I'd never been in truck before with the engine running. I know I should cut myself some slack, but I don't want to graduate just by the skin of my teeth...I want to be the best there is.

And, Troubador, I hear ya. That's what bothers me the most...the fear of not getting enough practice time on the skills pad. They keep stressing, "this is college, not a trucking school." Well, okay then, in college if a student needs extra help, tutoring is available. What about it? If a student is willing to put in the extra time and pay an extra fee, there should be a way and a means to get the extra practice. But, NOOOooooo! It's against policy.

Starcar...yes, I know, but I have to get out there first!!

Sorry. I just had one of those days that so often follows a good one. A day where I could do nothing right. I really need a restart this weekend! sorry.gif

Progress

The double clutching is coming along nicely. Down shifting is still a pain, but that will improve with practice. I drove through one of the most nightmarish traffic spots in the Jacksonville area today. My instructor said if I can drive a big rig through there, I can drive anywhere. I'm thinking of having Blanding Boulevard tattooed on my arm!

I performed my first offset parking maneuver today without being walked through it, which brings me to my question for anyone who wants to pitch in and help. When I did my offset, I had to pull forward before I could back in the slot. This is allowed, but I want to do it purdy. So, here's where I'm having difficulty. You do a hard turn, then a counter-steer to get your tractor and trailer squared at a 45 degree angle toward the slot. Then you center your steering wheel and do a straight back toward the center cone. At what point do you stop and do a hard turn to get the back of your trailer into the slot? Do your tandems need to be centered at the center cone, or what?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.