Comments By Gary J.

https://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo24/gjambazian/trucking/Haircomb_zpssflgxxc1.jpg avatar
  • Gary J.
  • Comments:

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Roehl, July 20th!!

Nice Ken! Keep things rolling.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Calling all mainahs

Don't forget the lobstahs!! I spent a couple weeks every summer for my entire childhood life in York. My Mom lives in Kittery now. Was just up that way last month. Best of luck at OD!

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Joining Team Roehl 6/29/15

Good advise about the pre trip. That's one thing I have not studied yet. Glad that they like to make it fun yet professional at the same time. I'll definitely be taking it seriously and working hard to earn my keep. Keep us posted!

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Joining Team Roehl 6/29/15

How's it going Todd? I start July 20th in Marshfield. Best of luck!

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Beginning my journey with Roehl.

Good luck Donnie. I'm interested in following your progress.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Roehl, July 20th!!

Ernst, what kind of miles do average each week and what division/route do you run? I'm signed up for flatbed national. Out 2 weeks or more, home for 3 days.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Roehl, July 20th!!

Thats frustrating, just lost my response to you guys. Here is a shortened version.

Ken, keep calling them. You should always call your prospective employer after applying for a job. That email might have been a automated response. Keep calling until you speak to someone. You'll be able to get your questions answered and establish a working relationship with a recruiter and the company. Best of luck!

Donnie, hopefully we'll run into easy other some time. Good luck in Phoenix. Hope they have shade structures for pre-trip practice! F***ing Hot!

Tim, that list is just one I made for myself on things I needed to do. I did a lot of research on truck driving this past winter. I got a lot of info from Trucking Truth website, then dug deeper into company and government sites. The reason I suggested to get all endorsements was to not limit yourself on the type of freight you hall. Get them all, your already at the testing sight for your permit, spend the extra dollars now to open up more options in the future. The passport and TWIC is another thing to add to your list of qualifications. It only helps to have those things beforehand. That way you can just focus on becoming a safe and successful driver. You need a passport to get into Canada. Mexico too.

My list was all the things I did. I had the time and finance's to get things done, so I took care of it. My free time will be pretty scarce when I start training and working full-time again. I always like to have a backup plan in case things don't work out with my first choice.

Good luck to all you guys. We should try to keep in touch.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Question for the experienced drivers

Yeah the roads suck in NE, but if your born and raised there like I was it's all good. It adds to the beauty of the area.

Spencer, I worked in Ludlow for a total of 16 years, are you attending United Tractor Trailer School? I was planning on attending this summer, but my plans changed. Staying in MO. They seem like good people at the school.

Good luck and drive safe!

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Roehl drivers, do you like it?

Hey Travis, I'll be going to Roehl CDL training on July 20th in Marshfield. I chose them because I felt very comfortable with making a commitment to them and them making a commitment to me. My interactions with the company have been positive all the way and things handled in a very professional manner. Everything that is expected of me has been clearly laid out and in my eyes their requests are very reasonable. Simply put I trust the company.

I obviously can't comment on driving for them yet, but I'm not at all worried about that being a problem. Good luck with your search! Drive safe.

MA CDL A exam state troopers

Why not move, or at least "move your mail" in a different state, and go thru that state??

In MA in order to transfer an out of state CDL you need to have had it for at least 2 years. Otherwise you need to go through the testing again, including permit.

This past year I just moved to MO from MA. Was planning on moving back there but plans changed. Getting my CDL out here, actually WI. But will be easily transferred to MO when need be.

I said this before. They call it Taxachusetts for a reason.

Good luck Michael, don't give up!!

Considering making the jump to trucking at 45

You might be a Prime Inc. candidate. Lots of guys on this forum work for them. I'm sure they will chime in. Prime is based out of Springfield MO.

I'm going to get my CDL though Roehl Transport out of Marshfield WI. I start July 20.

I too live in Missouri, up in the northeast corner and am 45, starting a new career.

Good luck and welcome!!

Happy fathers day!

Happy Fathers Day men.

Roehl, July 20th!!

Hey Matthew, keep in mind there are many other schools that offer paid CDL training too. Look under "Trucking Schools" on this site. It's a great start for your research.

Also, though I get paid while in CDL trading at Roehl, it is by no means free. I have a contract to fulfill of promising to run at least 120,000 miles for them. If I break that contract I owe Roehl $5,000 for the training.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Roehl, July 20th!!

Since you've already been accepted, I did have one question. I saw that they pay you weekly during cdl training, is that true pay or is it a loan?

My understanding is that it is true pay. The verbal agreement, yes verbal... is 4 week Monday-Saturday CDL training which includes 3 meals daily, hotel, $500 paid weekly. I need to supply my own transportation to Marshfield Wisconsin and my food on Sundays.

The written agreement pay wise is, "Upon hire, you will earn $90/day Monday through Friday, and $50 for Saturday, for the On-The-Job training portion of the program. Phase 2, the Over-the-Road Training, will be performance based and last up to 15 days. You will be paid $90 a day for each full day you work with a trainer. (A full day of work is at least 6 hours of work.)"

This equals out to $500 per week also for Phase 1.

I didn't focus much on the pay side of things, I was more interested in being trained by a trustworthy company

Glad I could help. Need anything else just ask.

Roehl, July 20th!!

Matthew, go online now and apply at Roelhl, August is not that far away. I applied in mid May. After you apply, immediately call them and speak to a recruiter. I'm working with Dylan, he's a good guy. After my initial call it took him about three weeks to get back to me. I kept calling during that time and sending an email. They are pretty busy over there, since they changed the driver pay. When I applied I did not have my permit yet.

While you waiting here's a list of things to do:

1 - Keep doing TT High Road Program - you will pass the permit test if you study this.

2 - Get a passport. I went to the post office. It took about three weeks to get it in the mail. Passport Application

2 - Get your DOT physical. DOT Medical Examiner List

3 - Apply for Hazmat and TWIC. Copy and paste the link, I couldn't get the link to work. TSA - Hazmat Endorsement Threat Assessment Program http://www.tsa.gov/stakeholders/hazmat-endorsement-threat-assessment-program While your getting fingerprinted for Hazmat you might as well get fingerprinted for TWIC also. Since you would already be there. It will cost an extra $128.00. It takes a few weeks to get these back in the mail.

4 - Take your permit test (all endorsements). I failed passenger so I opted out of school bus too.

Hope I don't sound like I'm ordering you around. Sorry if I do. Hope the info above helps and keep me posted on your progress. See you in August. Look me up when you are there.

Roehl, July 20th!!

Hey Folks. Just got the call from my recruiter at Roehl. I start CDL school July 20th in Marshfield WI!! Wanted to see if anyone else on this site is heading out that way too. It feels good to be accepted into their school and on a determined track!

Possibly Roehl CDL Training

A lot of New Yorkers on this forum! I didn't know Roehl was that known out east. So I got my Hazmat approval letter from the state and my TWIC card in the mail today. That's one advantage of living out in the middle of nowhere, there is usually not a line or a backlog of applications for things like this. I just went and applied for them last Tuesday, June 9th. I did have to drive 2 1/2 hours to get fingerprinted though. But its all good. Ohh and ignore my profile picture, it just a joke.

Mallory, how's the training going?

Medical update

Keep the wheels rolling Ernie!! Best of luck.

Future of Trucking

Thanks Erroll! Glad you have a sense of humor. I had more of the Flock of Seagulls look back in the 80's. Check out the stunning profile picture.

Future of Trucking

Thanks Errol. I should have looked further to see that. I gotta ask, is your profile picture actually you or is that Wally from Leave It To Beaver? Haircomb_zpssflgxxc1.jpg

A little bit of a learning curve here, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Your a classic no matter what man. I enjoy your posts! Keep them coming.