Profile For William C.

William C.'s Info

Saint Augustine, FL

Company Driver In Training

6 years, 9 months ago

William C.'s Bio

Hard core surfer, native floridian, working so I can take time off to surf ;-) F1- Fan

Heading to Schneider Orientation next Tuesday

My trainer observed my technique and driving style and did not comment generally unless warranted. I considered my self lucky that I didnt have any personal issues with him and the week went by smoothly. Its hard enough to get along with a total stranger for a week much less in a training student environment, but I found him to be a solid instructor and really filled in the blanks when needed but also left me independent when needed. High marks for him. He did wake me up a couple of times with certain warnings but they were needed and right on....

good-luck-2.gif

Sounds awesome. I will be starting my orientation next Wednesday in Coraopolis, PA for Schneider Bulk Carriers. What sort of training style is your trainer using? Does he observe and then comment, or does he do a running commentary giving you input as things happen? Dunno if that makes sense lol.

Heading to Schneider Orientation next Tuesday

Was with my trainer last week, covered a great deal of the southeast. Did most of the driving, including mountain driving, from Kentucky to North Florida. Lots of in town stuff in Atlanta and rush hour fun in Nashville. So far I really think Schneider is a super training program, it has worked well for me. This week is my final week for trip planning etc and then final tests on Thursday.

smile.gif

I'll be following your reports. Schneider, Prime, and Superior Carriers are pretty much top of my list right now. I graduate on May 17th so I want to head out end of May.

Is Schneider having you team drive during the training?

Good Luck with your school, yes, Im teaming up with my driver Trainer this weekend for my week OTR Training then back to the Operations Center for the final phase of training. Got my driver number and will head out this weekend. More reports to follow but so far I have passed all driving test and am moving ahead!

dancing-banana.gif

Heading to Schneider Orientation next Tuesday

Sunday update: Heading out today with my trainer, already at the Operations Center and we will be heading out a bit later. Five days out on the road. Trainer seems cool and the program seems structured to give feedback in both directions during the training process, which I think is a good thing. More updates this week as things develop.

Is Schneider having you team drive during the training?

dancing-banana.gif

Heading to Schneider Orientation next Tuesday

Finished week one and ADTC Training this week. I will meet with my trainer this weekend head out for my week OTR. So far everything has been top drawer and done in a professional manner. The truck simulator was awesome! I got to steer a truck after it had a steer tire blowout in the snowy mountains!

More to follow ;-)

I leave tonight!

Best of Luck! good-luck.gifgood-luck.gif

Heading to Schneider Orientation next Tuesday

Is Schneider having you team drive during the training?

dancing-banana.gif

Heading to Schneider Orientation next Tuesday

Very cool to hear it's gotten off to a good start! Hopefully they'll keep you busy enough that you won't have much time to reflect on the folks back home.

Day two and three have been good, doing a lot of driving then heading out with trainer this weekend, destination unknown at this time. Education on driving techniques of the gear has been excellent. I consider this a masters degree in driving after the general education of the driving school, which was good.

Schneider has a very complete program in that respect. There are many drivers here from other companies and they tend to agree that the training and welcome and respect here has been superior to many of the other companies. Varied reasons and stories for sure, but that has been what Im hearing.

More to report later!

High road is awesome

Congrats on passing your tests! Good Luck! good-luck.gif

Heading to Schneider Orientation next Tuesday

Ok, Day 1 went well. Schneider really seem to be a professional company and tons of support for their drivers. I must say I already miss home ;-) but looking forward to the real training which really begins today, as well as actually making money! I know there are good things ahead!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Heading to Schneider Orientation next Tuesday

William, you have chosen a good company, and congratulations on you being picked by them. Now will be the time to turn your mind into a sponge, and learn everything that they throw at you. Don't judge their delivery of the knowledge, just take it, learn it and use it. The Punpkin trucks have been around a long time, and with a good rep, so they must be doin' something right. GOOD LUCK !!! and as always, keep us informed.

Will do, thats good advice, listen and learn ;-)

Boyfriend needs co-driver CRST Orlando based.

Boyfriend started with CRST a few months ago. He's with his 2nd co driver already. First one nearly killed them by taking an exit at 65mph and the one he's with now likes to text and watch videos on his phone while he drives. He wants to get those miles and the money like the rest of you but he'd like to run safely with someone who pays attention and knows how to navigate. He prefers a non-smoker. Here's a link to his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/faike.mcfakey?fref=ts

Hope you find a good co-driver, Sounds like he needs a new one ;-)

Heading to Schneider Orientation next Tuesday

My roommate is a driver for Schneider. He really enjoys working for them.

Thanks! Thats good to hear... Ive generally heard good comments about Schneider.

Heading to Schneider Orientation next Tuesday

Heading to Atlanta next week for orientation with Schneider, then will be slotted in an OTR position out of Jacksonville Florida. Trying to get home things taken care of this week before heading out. Will be reading post here as usual on the forum as it can be super useful. If anyone has recently gone thru orientation at Schneider and want to add anything new, let me know ;-)

I will try and update moving forward, thanks for all of the support, this is a great forum.

Bill

Schneider National

I talked with Covenant , plus their recruiter had come out to our school... I did put paperwork in with them, they seemed like a good outfit from what I could tell. The 3 weeks out was the turnoff for me IF I could find something else, and I did with Schneider. Im ok with going solo but it was important to get home as often as I could to start. Talked with a recruiter yesterday and he told me about a company that was hiring teams, 20 days out and 10 days home. He didnt mention a name but based on the orientation cities I think it was Heartland Express. I could def work with that schedule!

Schneider National

I agree, there are advantages to team, for sure. I would not mind it. Im keeping my options open for the next couple of weeks and then will make my move. Yes, the Schneider job out of jax is prob the one you looked at as well. Who are you looking at to go with team wise, and how is their sometime?

Schneider National

I can totally relate! I have a degree and many many years in the tech field and zilch! Have now gotten a few offers after getting my CDL Class A in Feb. I have been pre-approved and ready to go to Schneider as soon as I am ready. Will be doing orientation in Atlanta. Its for a solo seat. Those companies doing 20/10 off are appealing, im looking into those before i finally pull the trigger...

Good luck!

good-luck-2.gifgood-luck-2.gifnull

Any Tanker companies hire straight out of school?

CTL will hire you in the tanker division if you have hazmat and tanker endorsements, they are based in Florida but have many locations.

Bill

Re-newed Trucker Starting Again - Its changed a bit out there!

Hey, welcome aboard!

Are you gonna be hauling food grade tanker? I pulled food grade for a year one time and it was a fantastic job - really unique form of trucking. I wouldn't pull a chemical tanker myself - don't want to be in chemical plants all the time hauling dangerous stuff. Especially considering the fact that hauling orange juice pays the same (or better) than hauling gasoline or hydrochloric acid.

But yeah, things have changed quite a bit since the 70's. The most profound difference really is the equipment - the trucks themselves and the technology we have for communicating and navigating. The nature of the job and the industry itself haven't changed as much as the equipment and technology has.

The company says "general chemical" transport.... I know they don't pull gas stuff, but not sure on the other yet. I have already done a road test with the company and go for the orientation next week. There is a company in Florida, Indian River that I would have loved to have started with but I needed at least 1 year OTR, so, I think this company will be a great starting point and then I will have more options later ;-) I suspect this is where they start new drivers to see if they can cut it, so , it should be interesting,,,, I figure if I can handle this.... ;-)

It looks like the truck I will be driving will be a Freightliner with an automatic, so that will take some of the stress out of driving the tanker. I go next Tuesday to finish orientation ;-)

PS.. and all that work I put in at driving school to learn to double clutch again lol!

Bill

Re-newed Trucker Starting Again - Its changed a bit out there!

Hey, welcome aboard!

Re-newed Trucker Starting Again - Its changed a bit out there!

Greetings all,

New to the forum but have been reading for a couple of months. Enjoyable and very educational, as I just went through CDL School here in Florida (National) and now have my CDL Class A and Hazmat and Tanker Endorsements. I used to drive for a couple of years in the mid 70's and then have had office jobs primarily since then. Put myself thru college in the 80's and a series of tech layoffs and here I am. Some students in the school didnt understand why I was driving again, but for me it was to make some money again and stop collecting unemployment. Tech skills are nice but the job market is tight and being my age didnt help much. So fast forward to today and Im putting my head around this new challenge. This has been a bit of a work culture shock for me but I need to make some money and I do like to drive. I have little OTR exp from the 70's driving from Florida to Michigan for an O/O.. but it was a long time ago. I drove mostly Florida runs back then.

Today my priorities are home time, money is important too, but being gone weeks at a time is not appealing to me anymore. From what I can tell all decent regional positions here in North Florida seem to require some type of recent experience to land. Im going to a company in central florida next week to go thru orientation to drive OTR tanker. They are telling me I will be out 7-10 days and home some weekends. Time will tell.

Look forward to keeping up with the forum and learning from those that have been down the road and hopefully I will be able to add a newbie chapter along the way!