Profile For Monica M.

Monica M.'s Info

Palm City, FL

In CDL School

5 years, 6 months ago

Monica M.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

I don't get me...

The same thing happened to my husband and he was surprised by it, as well. He found a team partner (took a while to find one he is compatible with) and now he is doing fine. He had to get used to sleeping in a moving truck, though. His company is good about paying for a hotel room if they have more than a 6 hour lay-over.

Can my wife and I drive as a team as non-employees?

Exam Expedited hires husband/wife teams to drive double sleeper straight trucks as 1099 drivers. No taxes, no health benefits. 5 weeks out, 1 week home. There are a bio-medical transporter - human organs, plasma, and research related items so you must have your HazMat endorsement. The money is only $1000 per week, tops. It's more like $750.

Henderson Hardknocks....The Joys of a new life!

What did Joyce and Lester say to you? Because I am exactly where you were. I am discouraged to the point of dropping out of CDL school and accepting my fate with my current (safe) job. My husband was really hoping that I would take to driving so that he would have a permanent team partner. So, I would be letting him down if I don't make it.

That little voice that eats at ya.

I would caution anyone thinking of trucking to avoid romanticizing the job. I did just that, and the jerk back to painful reality hurts like heck. It is a tough job and only the tough will be happy and prosper. I thought the cab of a tractor trailer would be my own little world where I could escape ignorant people and attitudes. Nope, they come right along for the ride. I have nothing but ultimate respect for the drivers that can be successful in this challenging industry. I can't believe the meager amounts of money being paid to skilled professionals who risk their lives every day to get products to places on time. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. I just think that every driver on the road should be making at least twice the amount of income they bring in. It's hard.

H...e...l...p...feeling small and pitiful.

Bob, Ignore that first question. I realize now how uninformed it must read. I would like to know, physically, how you and Patty are holding up. I have a lot of respect for what you are doing. With summer coming soon, I am in serious debate over which job to focus on. Should I keep my tenured teaching position or go for Schneider? I am so burned out at school. But the danger of driving makes me hesitate. I am slowly getting better at the backing maneuvers and don't feel so stupid anymore. My husband wants me to go to work with him at Armellini out of Palm City. Floral. Long-haul with deliveries. The company does put its drivers up in hotels if there is a lay-over for a reload. He's comfortable there. While the potential money with Schneider is attractive, the recruiter told us that because of our south Florida zip code we could only work in their "fly-to-drive" program. Fly out of West Palm, drive for at least 21 days, fly home, have 5 days off. Schneider will pay for one piece of baggage. Hmmm...having a different truck every month, not sure we would want to live so spartan. What to do? Just taking one day at a time. Drives 10 and 11 coming up next week. Wish me luck.

H...e...l...p...feeling small and pitiful.

Will that be $1500 each or together? How are you feeling in terms of sleep and fatigue?

Central Refrigerated Transport review

I just wanted to tell you that your earlier advice on choking and holding the hard turns for a parallel maneuver really helped me. As did your advice to "see" what the instructor wants you to "see." I just listened and did what the instructor told me to do. I didn't question it, didn't analyze it - just made like a robot and did it. Your system works!

H...e...l...p...feeling small and pitiful.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and support. It really means a lot to me. This is a caring community.

School Complete! Class A CDL and a New Chapter of Life!

I really appreciate your humility and honesty in sharing this. The connections between over-thinking, over-emotion, and over-reaction are genius. Not just in driving a big rig, but in negotiating relationships and work situations. AND, never underestimate the power of your hunches, or what you know to be true. Best of luck in all your future endeavors.

H...e...l...p...feeling small and pitiful.

Thanks, guys, for the support and suggestions. I am so fortunate in that I have almost one-on-one drive time with the instructor. He's concerned that it is taking me longer to learn the maneuvers and that I am behind on their schedule. I offered to pay extra for extra time. (Over and above the $5000 tuition - sheesh...)

Truckers make the BEST philosophers. I love the time/opportunity angle. At age 56 myself, my instructor suggested maybe my "blanket" was a little hole-y. But I refuse to even contemplate that. It's amazing and painful to learn a skill that one is not naturally talented for. My natural talent is for teaching, but after 20 years in a public high school classroom, I am burnt out. My dream job has turned into a nightmare. So, after missing my OTR husband for many years now, this is my new challenge. And classA, you are correct. Some opportunities are in place momentarily, and then disappear. I feel that this endeavor is exactly that.

H...e...l...p...feeling small and pitiful.

ClassA, Thank you for the kind and spot-on advice. I HAVE been afraid of irritating the instructor by getting out of the cab and looking at the positioning of the combination at each step of the backing maneuvers. I have wished that I was a bird so I could fly over and get an aerial view. And yes, he has instructed me a hundred times to stop "overthinking" this. Yet, I am to concentrate. My brain is a hot, chemical soup and yes, it must be affecting my ability to perceive what I am looking at. I must also be directionally challenged. A tattoo of L and R on the back of my hands, maybe? At least I'm smiling again. You rock.

H...e...l...p...feeling small and pitiful.

What a hot, sweaty, and frustrating morning on the driving range it was for me. My instructor is frustrated with me, as well. The backing maneuvers are not going well. He has exhausted all his tips and still I often fail to find straight/center of the front wheels and can manage to jack the combination into all sorts of unpleasant shapes. My brain was so fried this morning that I couldn't even tell right from left. I don't seem to be getting the "feel" or the "hang" of the backing maneuvers. I am following the printed instructions but cannot even "see" the travel of the tractor/trailer combination in my mind. I'm telling myself that millions of people have learned to do this. Surely I can't be the ONE that cannot learn these backing maneuvers. On the positive side I can double-clutch pretty well and I have the Pre-Trip nailed. Careful reading of this site has shown me that many students face dark days such as this. My instructor suggested I borrow a non-commercial truck/trailer set-up from a friend and practice, practice, practice. He must be able to tell that I have never backed anything else before! Sympathy? Condolences? Should I consider yet another career change?

School Complete! Class A CDL and a New Chapter of Life!

Yes, please continue. I am reading with great interest. It helps me to know that others have felt the same frustration that I am currently dealing with. My current drive range instructor keeps telling me to "Relax, don't stress so much." Hard to do for an anal, type-A perfectionist such as myself. Honestly, I think learning to drive a truck is much like learning to play an instrument and I have never been musically inclined! But, I will get this. I'm not retarded, even though I often feel like I am!! Haha.

New driver, about to start training tomorrow morning!

AND, what absolutely KILLS me is that the Department of Labor labels this occupation unskilled. Just.Kills.Me. I have a ton of respect for the skilled driver you will soon be. Best of luck to you. Signed, another vet.

Starting orientation with Schneider National

Well done! I was wondering how you were doing. I figured you guys were out with a trainer when so many days went by without a post. You've clearly earned a well-deserved weekend. I hope you have great weather and get something wonderful to eat! You're only missing 87 degree weather here. Hot and humid on the driving range. Dripping wet with sweat! And no shade to speak of. Will you two be coming back here for your home time when you get it?

Not gonna lie... What The F%*K did I get into?

Watch one or two of the "gluttnous" videos and you will be reminded of why you are doing what you have chosen to do. She always improves my state of mind. I think you said you liked them.

Starting orientation with Schneider National

YIKES. That was an intense day. Everyone here is rooting for you and Patti. Good luck! Keep us posted.

Internet OTR

I'm getting ready to join my husband as a team driver. I am in charge of securing fast, consistent Internet service for our truck. So, what service providers do you guys use? How much do you pay for it? Are there places where even the best provider does not deliver service? How about hardware? I have heard that touch-screens get "wacky" over time due to the vibration from hard-driving. What type of laptop would be a solid investment? What are your issues when trying to connect to the Internet from a moving truck?

I really appreciate any input you can share. Thanks so much!

Starting orientation with Schneider National

That is comforting news regarding SAGE. I will say "Hi" to Tim and Eric for you. When you two finish orientation, where will your home base be?

Starting orientation with Schneider National

Hi Bob and Patti, I was wondering how you were getting on. Please update as you continue your training with Schneider. My husband and I have applied to them, as well, but cannot start until June 5th (last day of public school for me, horray!!) I'll be reading with interest.