Profile For Liz D.

Liz D.'s Info

4 years, 7 months ago

Liz D.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Racy Work History - Please Help

Hey Errol V. Sorry, I just got it. I haven't been checking my email or this website too much today because, to my surprise, I think I might have found a girl who wants to rent out the master bedroom in my apartment! That would bring my rent down to only $400, which is totally affordable during my first 6 months of trucking. I am so excited about this that I haven't been thinking about too much else. Unfortunately, it's not a sure thing yet until she brings over the deposit tomorrow. So, we'll see what happens!

Thx for checking back, btw!

Costs of Living - Starting Out

Okay, so again... I wonder if an average sized girl would be able to do that. My guess is, probably not. The Dude, what do you think since you have gotten some experience within the last 2 months?

Costs of Living - Starting Out

Yes, I have been watching her(AllieKnight.com) videos for a while as well. I wonder if she replies to email responses. If so, maybe I could contact her for questions if she wouldn't be bothered by it.

Also, paying my bills is very important for me right now so I will be looking more into reefer driving as well as flatbed. However, I am really not sure if flatbedding is that easy. Who is this guy? http://www.getloaded.com/blog/post/Why-Drive-Flatbed-Loads-Trucks. He says that flat is one of the most physically demanding jobs for a trucker in the first sentence! Lol...

Costs of Living - Starting Out

I'm flatbed at Prime in my 2nd month solo. I've been grossing about $1100 per week on average since being solo. During training I grossed a minimum of $700 per week, but usually a little more.

Okay, this could explain why you are making enough to cover all of your expenses. I heard that flatbed trucking pays much more than dry van, box, or refrigerated. I have considered applying for flatbed but I am afraid I might not be able to do it because I'm a girl. Not that I would be prissy or not do my work or anything. What I mean is, I just want to stay within my realistic limitations.

Perhaps if I have bills to pay, flatbed trucking might be the way to go. Can you please provide some insight on how hard it is? And honestly, do you think the average girl could do the job? When I say the average girl, I'm asking you to consider a girl on the weaker side not a girl on the stronger side. Obviously, a very athletic girl who is 6' tall might be able to do it. How about the other ones? Do you think this is realistic?

Racy Work History - Please Help

I got let out of a lease once by showing the landlord that I had been employed in another city and had to move.

I've seen that in contacts, too. Liz seems to be dealing with a landlord that either writes his own, of doesn't know what's in them.

Yes, exactly! My landlord wrote the lease and it is pretty short and to the point. To be honest, when I moved in it seemed like a good deal in a perfect location so I didn't pay attention to the lease that was very short. I read it of course but I didn't have any objections at the time. There is no termination agreement that is listed and I now realize that I do not want to continue with the line of work I am in. It is good money but I am miserable. I dream of driving a truck everyday. Not only that, I have been missing a lot of work because I just don't want to be there anymore (I set my own schedule).

Anyway, it would be nice to terminate my lease but my landlord doesn't want to budge. I also don't want to push too much because I DO NOT want an eviction, which will look bad on my record no doubt. I am going to keep trying to find someone who can rent the place but so far it just isn't looking good. Again, as far as I know my only options are finding someone to rent it or buying out of it by paying 3 months in advance. After 6 months I would only have to pay 2 months rent to buy out and after 9 months it's only one month's rent. It's a year lease that I started in January so I am in it until December. :-(

Have a good night guys if you are turning in now. I will continue to check back in for your responses and can also check tomorrow as well. I am still looking for good suggestions and I hope that getting into a truck this year isn't some far off pipe dream.

Costs of Living - Starting Out

Okay, well that sounds realistic since I have been reading that most trainees get paid at lease $400 per week. I have a question though, you said you can save about $1,000 per month. How long have you been driving? What did you make for your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd month driving? Also, if you feel comfortable saying, who do you drive for?

I guess that last question might be a little personal. Not sure if you feel comfortable answering that, but, I am curious to know how much you made during your 1st - 3rd month's driving.

Racy Work History - Please Help

I already tried something similar to that and my landlord wouldn't go for it. He said I had to pay a 3 month buyout with no exceptions. He said if I found someone to move in, he might give me a partial refund but he couldn't confirm how much or when he would send it. I have been trying to discuss ways to get out of it with him for about a month now. :-( I am pretty much stuck here unless I find someone.

Racy Work History - Please Help

Unfortunately, I can not get out of the lease without paying a three month exit fee, which would be a almost $3,000. While that is doable for me, I just do not want to give up that much. Especially when I need to have some money saved up on the side when I first start out. :-(

Costs of Living - Starting Out

Does anyone know if I will be able to afford food on the road AND a nearly $1000 per month living expense for rent/utilities during my first few months as a driver? I have been trying to rent out my apartment, but after going through three months of people who have flaked out on me or people who I just do not trust in my apartment, I do not think I am going to find anyone. I am also locked into a lease until the end of the year (Dec. 2015) and I do not want to wait to start trucking until next year. Therefore, I have no choice but to keep my apartment. Savings are not very important to me during the 1st year, I just want to be able to pay my rent. Can anyone let me know if that is possible with a little over a $1,000 bill? Especially within the first 3 - 6 months of driving?

I also plan on having a crock pot/slow cooker in my truck once I go solo so that should cut down on the costs for food.

Getting Hired - Advice Needed

Perfect, thank you! I think that is the most reasonable answer so far. I think I will put entertainer for the job description and Independent Contractor for the job title.

Racy Work History - Please Help

Okay, great! I would be all ready to start looking for prehire letters except for my living situation. I am having a hell of a time trying to rent out my apartment. My rent is $865 plus utilities and I am not sure if I could foot this bill within the first couple of months of working. Does anyone know if that amount is possible? I have put an ad online for the apartment and I have had many people contact me to tell me they are interested. One girl even told me that she wanted to put down an deposit and talk with the landlord. However, she never gave him a call about it and when I asked her about to she said she would get to it when she had the time. Pfffffft! Okay, I know she is not serious so I am not going to let her move in here now anyway, but I am now worried about affording my rent.

Does anyone know if I will make enough for food on the road and a nearly $1,000 per month rent and utility cost once I get hired? I will have a little bit saved but only for about a month or two.

Racy Work History - Please Help

I have no problem putting down an entertainer but won't the trucking companies call my employer? I would think they would wonder what type of work it is once they called to verify my employment through my manager.

Getting Hired - Advice Needed

Thanks guys for all of your great responses. Jopa, that was very funny. No, I do NOT intend to drive with my top off, no matter how bored I get. Lol

My basic concern with putting this job down on my application is that I was afraid I would be denied a job because of it. I guess if I was really concerned about what people think, I wouldn't be going into trucking. I honestly don't know anyone who has been supportive of this career choice, unfortunately.

The companies that I plan to apply for are; May Trucking Company, Schneider, and Shaffer Trucking. I know it's recommended that I apply to the bigger companies when I first start out, but Shaffer and May seem to have good reviews and great pay for newbies. It seems that May has also hires from the school I plan to go to. Schneider would be my first choice because it appears they have so many options once you get in good with the company after 6 months. However, the starting pay is very, very low. Sorry to be so picky during my first year but... $0.28 per mile seems to be pushing it! I am open to more feedback about this and, like I mentioned above, Schneider is not my first option but is on my list. I will look into Prime as well. Other than trying to get hired, my other concern is having as little stress as a new driver as possible. I know that my first year will be hard and I am already prepared for that but I want to cut down on my stressful experiences as much as possible if I can by choosing the best company.

About my job description, I have decided to put "Entertainer/Independent Contractor" and the name of the company on the application. The duties will be; excellent customer service, entertain guests at a night club, stage performer. I don't think my manager will write a detailed letter about my job description, but I did get an employment letter from him about a year ago. Hopefully I can use that or my tax returns if I need some other sort of employment proof.

My only question with that is, when would I submit those documents? At the time I submit the application? I thought those applications were online but I could be wrong. Of course I could always scan those documents and submit them as an attachment.

Well, thanks again guys! I am always open to even more advice about this topic so please feel free to chime in. I will provide an update in a few months once I finish school and start applying. I will be going to school in mid-June or July.

Getting Hired - Advice Needed

Subject: I HAVE SOMETHING I DON'T WANT TO PUT ON MY RESUME BUT DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET AROUND IT. I hope I will be safe by putting this post here. The women's forum seems to be slower than the men's in addition to having less seasoned drivers. Respectful responses only please. Thank you for your help.

Topic:

I have wanted to be a truck driver for as long as I can remember (more than 20 years) but never went to truck school because I haven't met ANYONE who has been supportive of me going into this industry, and I do mean NO ONE! I come from a family that believes a bachelor + master degree is the only way to go in life and they all have pretty high incomes. Therefore, there has always been a lot of pressure on me to make a lot of money in whichever career I chose.

Well, to make the long story short, I never found my calling in life (aside from a driving job) so I chose a profession that is very well paid but much less respected than trucking... a dancer at a gentleman's club.

While I have never worked below the belt (if you get what I mean shocked.png ), and I don't have any desire to ever do so, I have been dancing without my top on for almost 2 years while getting paid very well for doing so. However, after having a great time at this job for 2 years, I am now ready to move on and don't want to be in this line of work anymore, as is the case with most racy jobs.

I only took a job like this because there has been so much pressure on me to make a lot of money in my family ( who don't know what I do, btw). I know that it was morally wrong of me for taking up a job like this and I hope that no one here is judging me since none of us are perfect. Aside from right or wrong though, I would like to enter the field that I have always dreamed of but, obviously, working as a stripper is not going to look good on a resume.

So, without being too terribly judgmental, is there anyone who can give me some advice as to how I might get hired after having worked at a place like this? The way I see it is that I have three options:

1) Put it on my resume as "Independent Contractor" and the name of the club. 2) Put self-employed and include a reference. 3) Lie by putting "****tail Waitress" and the name of the club (assuming my manager will back me up. I'd have to ask).

All of my work history prior to that was pretty consistent in retail stores such as Nordstrom, Macy's, etc. My other qualifications are pretty good as well. I have a clean driving record, can pass a drug test, and have no criminal history. So, aside from my recent job title, I am a pretty good candidate. I also know that some jobs don't even call your recent employers but I'm guessing that trucking companies are more particular about employment histories.

Anyway, any feedback about this would be great! I am very eager to start a trucking career so I hope I will be employable. Can anyone who is familiar with the hiring process fill me in?

Racy Work History - Please Help

Topic:

Racy Work History - Please Help!