Comments By Greenhorn Trucker

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/misc-images/green.jpg avatar

Who's this Greenhorn trucker?

Well my real name is Mike but I decided to take this name because it is suppose to be derogatory term for a new driver, however to me even a pro driver can learn something new so in essence they are still greenhorns to some degree. I have known people in the trucking industry as well so I have a general idea of what is needed, and I have also found a lot info on my own as I like to research things before going in all the way. I try and help out where I can with what info I have come across, and I am glad I have helped out in some small way. I am hoping that once I get accepted to go to Prime I can do daily videos and such and share them here to maybe answer some questions, of course the schooling part will be priority one first and foremost though. I have other ideas in my head for other videos but those will have to remain hush hush for now, or as I like to post Soon™.

I guess all in all I am Jack of many trades but master of none kind of person, and if I wasn't so lazy I would finish my bio page... That apparently I didn't dosorry.gif Also thanks for kind words! thank-you.gif

My first day with a trainer after obtaining my class a cdl

That bridge looks like the Skyway bridge in Florida, I drove across that thing in an old Ford Escort LOL. big rig truck driving across the Skyway Bridge in Florida

Looking for a Prime instructor for PSD

I wish you weren't taking off Terry because I have family in Florida that I could visit if I was to go out on the road with ya LOL rofl-3.gif . That is my fault though for waiting to pull the trigger, I could kick myself now.

Is Prime short of instructors

To me it depends on how you are to others and how energetic you are to find a trainer, going back to your room and not socializing might be a bad thing. I know for me that is going to be tough when I go as I am not overly social, but I think I can wing it for a few days without it wrecking my brain LOL. As far as the "shortage" I think it boils down to, do not think I am saying people on here, those individuals are being antisocial and not getting a second look from trainers, or are waiting for the perfect match up that may or may not happen. For me I can work with most people be them smokers or not and music choice isn't really that big of a deal breaker, and as far as location I have family in Florida who I am sure I could room with for a few days so I do not need to come back to Michigan.

What would a trucking newbie need with him...

I think of it like a camping but here is my short list: Gloves (at least 2 pairs and one heavy duty for fueling) Boots Cloths appropriate for the season Personal hygiene things Wet wipes Pens (black and blue and more than two) Phone charger Any prescribed meds you maybe on Over the counter meds as needed (pain relievers, allergy pills, cough syrup, and/or supplements) Poncho Laundry soap Laundry bag of some sort Bedding (Pillow, sheets, and blanket) Shoes Shower shoes Sun glasses Flashlight Appropriate personal entertainment (books, laptop, or something)

Going to Celadon!

Even if you have a trainer that is not that excited just remember that soon you will be on your own and the captain of your own ship, that is what I am looking forward to anyways.

Going to Celadon!

Remember the old adage: "Measure twice and cut once." for when you are backing up, always double check/triple check just to make sure you have the room. I seen lots of nasty things when I worked in retail of drivers misjudging where the dock was, and it wasn't pretty at all.

My tea.... Smells weird?

You can have my "Barney the dinosaur" purple Freightliner when I turn it in August 6th!!

I just sent in the ap and waiting to hear back, so hopefully I can go there asap on the dirty grey dog (I hate riding buses). So you are not training no more or going lease (sorry if I missed this somewhere else ><)?

Why Spotters are Needed With Big Loads

Main problem though is this driver had no pilots at all, our other points are valid though but not having the pilots was a very big risk... at least in my opinion anyways.

My tea.... Smells weird?

I'll be following your truck then Greenhorn. Mmmmm coffee!

My hope is that Prime has one of these bad boys in this color, you to go with a theme LOL. Of course I will not be overly picky I will take whatever is available of course. Plumb crazy purple would be a nice one as well smile.gifgreen Prime Inc. tractor trailer truck

My tea.... Smells weird?

I dunno about smells funny but, to me, tea tastes like dirt, however given the option between that or an energy drink I would drink tea too LOL. I get lots of strange looks when I tell people that at 37 years old I still do not drink coffee or tea at all, and even though I love the smell of coffee I cannot drink the stuff. I drink mostly water with flavor packets, the occasional soda, and milk. Maybe that is what I can do when I go OTR is make free coffee for other drivers so I can have that nice smell without wasting it rofl-2.gif

Why Spotters are Needed With Big Loads

Just saw this news stroy here this morning, and while I kind of chuckled it made think a bit that this could have been avoided had he had spotters. They could have told him that the load was too high to go down the street and would have saved people/business losing power. Also anytime you have never done a load like that before it might be wise to ask for help with it especially if you are uncomfortable hauling, or if possible ask that someone with more experience handle the load while you observe and learn how to do it properly.

Back up cam

I would think that would be a pain since you would be having to remount every time you swapped trailers. To me getting out and looking as well as using your mirrors will help you learn more than a camera would, especially if the field of view on the camera doesn't show the sides where your mirrors would. But that is just my personal opinion on cameras and it holds especially true on passenger vehicles, most look only at the screen and not at their mirrors and hit a lot of things on the sides.

New truck

Thanks everyone, the flames give her 10 extra horse power but prime derated them

No flame stickers give it 100 more hp and 50 extra torque LOL.

Taking blood pressure medicine, will it be counted against me when taking DOT physical

Most definitely tell the doc that you are taking them, you will get a one year card max, but better than being disqualified for not disclosing the information either. I can say though that my BP was extremely high (240/140) but now I am down to a more normal range (120's-130's/80ish) and I still qualified for a one year card, however if it is high when they take the first reading ask them to let you relax a bit and get it down (white coat syndrome sometimes makes for false readings). I did make some dietary changes though too to help lower my numbers a lot as well such as; not using salt on food, drink 1-2 sodas max a day (though I hardly touch the stuff now), drink lots of water (8-12 16oz a day), I don't drink coffee so that was easy to not worry about, yoga breathing (it is very relaxing and easy to do), limit candy and other junk food, and the big one not letting my temper get out of control. I would also suggest making one change at a time rather than doing many all at once, because doing too much will actually stress you out causing your blood pressure to become elevated until it has fully adjusted. Oh for the water I use flavor packets from walmart, some have caffeine in them, and they have no sodium or sugar, this is a great thing if you also have diabetes but cannot stand the taste of plain water (my blood sugar is always on the low end of normal so I am good there thankfully LOL).

I got it!!!!!!!!! I passed my CDL permit test!!!

Someone who flat beds from another forum suggested these Kong Gloves. They look pretty vicious, maybe they'd last a while longer?

I would just get some welders gloves myself, if they can handle fire it can handle diesel and grease without issue. Nothing against the Kong Gloves but to me those would be better for chaining, maybe, but for fueling I wouldn't like to ruin something that nice, plus I am cheap so that plays a lot into it LOL.

Holy Cow! This Ain't a Sleeper it's a Ballroom!

That thing has to be a nightmare turning and backing up. Don't get me wrong it would be nice to have a full bathroom in the truck. But wouldn't something like this make your loads really small due to weight? I am basing this on the difference between LW trucks and full size sleepers so I could be wrong.

I got it!!!!!!!!! I passed my CDL permit test!!!

And I suggest bringing a poncho ;)

I completely forgot about a poncho, guess late night posting is not a good idea LOL. Worse case situation you can modify a garbage bag for a make shift one. I did this when I worked in retail and it worked out fine.

I got it!!!!!!!!! I passed my CDL permit test!!!

Get cloths you do not mind having grease and dirt on, while some loads might be clean you might get the odd load that is very nasty as well. Get a couple pairs of heavy duty gloves and have them set aside for different things: IE fueling gloves, strapping/tarping gloves, winter gloves, and truck maintenance gloves. Steel toed boots!!! I use to get mad when I would see drivers with flip flops doing things on the trailer I was helping load, I have seen a crushed foot it is not pretty or something you want. An Arctic lined Carhartt coat for winter as these things are just the best for winter and are great for holding up, I got one on Amazon a few years ago that should have cost me $150 for $80 (and that was in January). You will most likely get a hard hat from the company you work for but I would get some safety glasses as well, and if you really good you can find sunglasses that are actually safety glasses as well. For cleaning up get a big thing of Gojo hand cleaner this does not need water to use, just scrub it on you dirty hands and paper towel it off and your hands will be clean (I used this a lot when I spun wrenches it works). These are things I think of when looking at what I should consider bringing, but everyone is different.

I tried and failed.

I would stay in touch with Knight and see if the door can stay open for you to come back if you left on good terms with them. Also check with you local unemployment off, especially their facebook site, as they might post local jobs willing to train, I found one here that does flatbedding that I am planning on calling in the morning. Hopefully everything works out for you and your family, but do not say you failed you were only delayed due to unforeseen circumstances beyond your control.