Comments By Papa G

https://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb337/George_Salley/image_zpsdceafkpx.jpeg avatar
  • Papa G
  • Comments:

Shifting Gears!!!

I would not spend too much time fretting over the different shifting characteristics of trucks. It appears Most big companies are switching their fleets to automatics.

Question about lease/owner

Even if you bought a truck outright you still have repairs, tags, business registry, truck registry, getting relevant information printed on the truck doors, sometimes fuel, trailer rent or purchase, truck washing, inspections, general maintenance like fluids, property taxes on the truck in some places, business taxes, lawyer and accountant fees (unless you plan on learning business law and accounting). So, you'll pay less due not leasing but you're not going to get a million miles out of a truck without handling everything else that goes into it.

Realist, thanks for the reply. I appreciate the information, and I do understand that with any business there will be expenses. But the big question is, do the benefits justify the expenses. Of course there will be some un-quantifiable variables such as pride of ownership, freedom from forced dispatches, freedom from forced routing (which appears to be calculated by a gaggle of idiots who have never driven more than 5 miles from their homes), etc.. But for now I am just curious.... Is it possible to make more money Owning your tractor and contracting it out to a trucking company? Or, is it only possible to make more money if you own multiple tractors?

Again, thank you for your comments Realist. I am going to work up a complete business plan and the tems you described will help me get started.

Cheers!

Question about lease/owner

Hi all. Everything I have read on this forum about leasing tends to say, "Run away as fast as you can!". I understand the reasons put forth and I surely do agree. But what about a straight purchase and then contracting to a company? Assuming someone has the funds to purchase a truck outright, is there a greater potential to make a better annual salary? I realize there are many variables. If you bought a truck that immediatly caught fire and burned to ashes, well then you would be sceeeroooed. But say you bought a used truck that gave you a million good miles. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Papa-G

HOS and the 34-hour Restart

As does everyone, I absolutely love the High Road Training Series. However, there is one small error in the training portion for Logs, Section 13.2, 34-Hour Restart.

As of December 16, 2014, FMCSA has suspended enforcement of the two 0100 - 0500 periods. So your 34-hour restart does not have to include these time periods anymore. Additionally, they have also supended enforcement of 395.3(d) which states you can only perform one 34-hour restart per week.

This is all good news because it makes the 34-hour restart easier to keep to an actual 34 hours period. Previously the 34-hour restart could cost you as much as 51 hours by trying to encompass the two 0100 - 0500 periods.

Everybody drive safe!

Where have you stopped?

I have a ton of spots I stop at to take a bike ride. Getting away from the road and cities is when you start seeing the real beauty. Check out my thread below about my adventures.

Daniel, please tell me more about carrying a bicycle. I am a newbie just finishing up orientation with USX, and i was thinking it would be easy to mount a bike rack/hanger on yhe back of the cab. Where do you store your bike?

Road Atlas

I just bought my 2015 Rand McNally Deluxe Road Carriers Atlas (spiral bound and laminated) at Petro in Hammond, Louisiana for $19.95 (after $10 mail-in rebate). It is truly awesome. I love maps!

Playin guitar

Once I am finished teaming with my trainer, my axe will definitely be riding along with me. She's my pet and she doesn't even need to take a potty break! I would love to spend some time jammin with anyone who has a mind to do some pickin'.

Also, I lived aboard a sailboat for 8 years and you can't get a more destructive environment than that. I ruined one nice Taylor by keeping it in a soft gig bag. My current guitar lives in a top of the line hard-case. As long as you have a good hard-case your baby will be fine. Driving big rigs and strokin the ebony.... What could be better.

Playin guitar

So screwed on the drug test

If I go to orientation and they ask for hair follicle testing, I plan to say I am morally and religiously opposed to hair sampling for scientific testing because I am a Hairy Krishna.

Make sure you hand them a flower too.

Heck, I'll even sell them a book or two!

So screwed on the drug test

So screwed on the drug test

So sorry to hear about your problems. I am starting with a company next week, and I chose them because they only do UA testing. I have a real problem with any testing that suggests I am a drug addict just because I was standing next to some folks at a Greatful Dead show. I truly believe trucking companies are hurting themselves with this type of testing. They are missing out on some potentially great employees that otherwise would have made them a ****-pot of money!

If you read the Newsweek link in the last post you will see that standing next to someone smoking pot will not get you to test positive.

No offense to Newsweek, but that's not what this driver is saying. The original post talks in terms of second hand pot smoke, which just goes to show that weed has come a long way since the days of buying a lid of Mexican!

So screwed on the drug test

Starting orientation/training with US Express

You'll definitely make more money, about 30 percent more, but for me it isn't worth it....not even close to worth it. You lose the ability to really determine your own schedule, most of your off duty hours and what little sleep you can manage to get will be while moving, of course the obviously unfavorable nature of sharing cramped quarters with someone you're probably not in love with (to say the least) virtually 24/7...and that's if everything goes RIGHT. If it goes wrong you get a partner who steals from you. Or is so lazy he puts himself on duty before a stretch of ten hours spent idle at a truck stop, so he'll only have to work four hours the next day. Or so lazy he defecates in a bucket when you leave the sleeper berth rather than walk 100 yards to a toilet. Or perhaps all three and then some.

Ouch! Just call me lonely George!

MAKE SURE YOU PASS YOUR DRUG SCREENING

What about US Express? I was told they only do UA.

Newby

I'm trying to narrow down a company that offers training and will hire me after graduation. I am looking at Roehl and PAM. Any info on the subject is appreciated.

Roehl does hair follicle testing, so be ready for that. It goes way back!

I am on my way!

This week I passed all of my skills exams (Pre-trip, Backing, and On The Road)! I am indebted to my instructor, Doug, and my school, Diesel Driving Academy. The work was hard and challenging, but the feeling of suceess when I passed all of the tests was exhilarating! Now it's on to the hard part.... An actual job with all the trimmings. Like responsibilities, deadlines, expectations, headaches, etc., etc.. Bring it on! I need ghe paycheck!

Any USX drivers want to share....

....their training experiences with me. I am scheduled to start orientation on May 27th in Dallas. They say the portion of training with the onboard trainer is 6 weeks. Is this set in stone, or is it more or less based on how long it takes me to show I can handle the job? Any and all stories, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Starting orientation/training with US Express

Thanks for the advice OS. I guess I'll be getting a taste of what teaming is like since I'll be spending some weeks with a trainer. But I will probably opt for solo after that training period, get my 1st year of experience, and then draw on that experience to make my decision for the future. We did have a recruiter from Covenant visit our school last week, and he told the students that Covenant is paying 52 cpm to each team member (not split). I was always under the assumption that when a trucking company said they pay teams 52 cpm it meant the team split that rate (i.e., 26 cpm per person). These guys made it sound like you would be paid 52 cpm even while sleeping in the sleeper berth. Anyway, I'll understand all of this better a year from now (or at least I hope so). Cheers!

Starting orientation/training with US Express

I have decided to start my career with USX. After reading the sage advice from pros, such as Old School and others, I am going to attack this with a positive attitude and professional work ethic. I am ready to pay my dues as a rookie, and learn the ropes. I have prepared myself to give USX a solid year of my best effort. Now I am trying to decide if I should try to team up with someone (hopefully compatible), or go solo. I have read TT blogs, and they tend to advise against teaming. Reading the literature for USX, the opportunities and pay seem to be greater for teams. Anyone want to weigh in on this? I appreciate any advice y'all have to offer. Cheers!

Split Sleeper Berth Case Study

Aaaaaaahhhhh! I am a newbie, and I wish I had never read this post! My head is spinning out of control!