Comments By Tyler Durden

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/bigrig5.jpg avatar

Maverick Transportation

Tyler, I remember in a previous thread you had mentioned in a reply to someone. "If all goes well for me at orientation and the company offers me a position, I will be hauling dedicated out of PA. For me I was told it will be a 500-600 mile radius of Carlisle including possibly to Canada". Can you elaborate a little more on this please. Is this for Maverick and do they have a yard in Carlisle Pa? I didn't see anything online for them in the Pa area as far as yards go. Only for hiring locations. Unless they are one in the same?

Sorry been busy. Ppg is located in Carlisle, technically Mt Holly Springs. Maverick hauls out of there and occasionally will have a opening for a dedicated position. Dedicated is home weekends and occasionally a night or two during the week. All loads are preloaded so all you do is hook up and tie down and go.

Maverick Transportation

Thanks for the response. Glad to here your with a better trainer now, I guess it really is the luck of the draw as far as trainers go. I will be going OTR so the paychecks are more of a priority for me than the home time considering I'm single and don't have any kids. I'm sure the whole process will be a big culture shock for me and quite overwhelming at times but I guess its all about taking the good with the bad one day at a time. Keep me posted on how things are going for you. Maybe I'll see you at The Rock when you test out and get your own truck.

If all goes right I'm hoping to be back around the 12th. Hoping.

Maverick Transportation

Thanks for the post Tyler. I will be attending orientation for the Glass Division this Sunday. Definitely a mixed bag of emotions, mostly excited and anxious but a little nervous as well. How is the driver training going? Are you happy you went glass? Are the miles pretty consistent year round according to the trainer? What region are most of your deliveries? mainly Mid-west/East Coast?

He'll Kevin

So far so good. It is A LOT to absorb and you will be overwhelmed with the amount you need to learn. My trainer is trying to teach me patience. Training is going better now. My first trainer and I just couldn't get along. He has a military mind set training although he was never military. If you didn't get it the first time he got ****ed. Took it for 4 days and made the call for a new trainer. Much much better now. Remember you can change trainers if you have valid concerns.

Miles vary. Depends on if you are dedicated glass or OTR glass. Makes a difference. I will be dedicated glass. Basically I will deliver in a 500 mile radius of where I am out of. Less miles but home every weekend and some nights possible during the week. Home time was key for me.

Maverick Transportation

Hey Tyler Durden, how's it going with Maverick Glass Division? Thanks.

Still with trainer but so far so good. Can't wait to test out and get my own truck and get going.

Tyler noted:

The whole process truly varies. For me I applied and heard back within a week. The time to be set up for orientation will depend on division you pick and trainer availability upon completing orientation.

Thanks for the information, Tyler. I know someone who reportedly filled out the application for Maverick's TCD in Mid-December 2015 and hasn't been scheduled for Orientation yet. I was hoping that was more the exception than the rule, and it may be...

Stay Safe!

Yes. TCD is the smallest fleet Maverick runs. Mainly flatbed but glass is growing. I will actually be running glass out of Carlisle. So if he is TCD the wait will be longer.

Maverick Transportation

Tyler: How long is the application review process and how soon after submitting an application does it normally take until the potential driver attends orientation?

Maverick Transportation

Hey Tyler, meant to ask if you have their insurance and what the deductibles are like?

I did sign up for single but can't recall exact numbers. On the road currently for next few weeks so I can try on home time to get them for you

Maverick Transportation

Anyone else have any questions?

Maverick Transportation

I've pretty much decided to go with maverick at this point. How hard was the physical to pass with the weights and all? Also, I plan on starting with flatbed Atlantic regional , and possibly transferring to glass later. Can I do that? Also, how's the insurance there and who's it through? I have lots of questions if you couldn't tell lol

C.T,

Check out Dale Clay's YouTube videos about his Maverick experiences. He has documented over a year's worth of videos describing orientation, securement training, and life on the road. He is retired Air Force.

Dave

And you would be amazed at how much money that man has made in referrals doing those videos. Well deserved as he does an amazing job. Let's just say over 20k in a year

Maverick Transportation

Thanks again Tyler. By the way how long is orientation? Did you have roommates?

Orientation will vary based on your division. All starts on Sunday. Job offers are Thursday and then you start securement training. This info is based on flat bed or glass and not TCD. Securement typically runs about a week. If going glass, you will start that after flatbed securement. Glass training is about 4 days.

Yes. You will have a roommate and they are pre chosen. You don't get to pick. Arrive Saturday and you will stay at the maverick hotel (on site at maverick). Approximately Friday you will transfer to the Galloway hotel down the road about a mile. Same roommate but the Galloway has a tv in each room. No tv in rooms at maverick hotel.

Maverick Transportation

I understand how the bonus was added to pay I was more wanting to know how to get it. For example fuel mpg, not turning down loads, being on time I'm guessing things like that?

Yes fuel mpg is big. Average miles driven, safe driving even making sure your truck is washed as often as required. I can't think of them all off the top of my head, but you get the idea.

And all loads are forced dispatch. There is no turning down a load.

Maverick Transportation

Thanks for your replies Tyler. Few more questions. I read on their website that glass division starts at 50 cpm. Is that accurate for newbies? Also what kind of mileage could I expect? I live across the street from Wal-Mart and home depot, can I park the truck there for resets? Also, I read they offer performance bonuses up to 6 cpm I think? How exactly can you obtain that? Got a few more questions but that's it for now lol.

Starting rate varies based on location where you reside. Check the website for your area.

Mileage also varies on account. Generally 2000-2500 per week is safe bet.

Parking. If those places will allow you to park then that is fine. Always check with management before parking at Walmart or Home Depot. Just common courtesy to let them know.

PFP or Pay for performance bonus is based on you. Many things go into calculating it but yes up to 6cpm can be earned per quarter. It is paid out quarterly. If you earn 6 cents for a quarter you will be paid 6 cents times every mile you drove for that quarter.

Maverick Transportation

I've pretty much decided to go with maverick at this point. How hard was the physical to pass with the weights and all? Also, I plan on starting with flatbed Atlantic regional, and possibly transferring to glass later. Can I do that? Also, how's the insurance there and who's it through? I have lots of questions if you couldn't tell lol

Good choice.

As far as the physical although extensive it wasn't difficult. Seems to be a concern of many. Drug test, hair follicle, weight and eyes. At this point they also determine about sleep apnea if needed. Then move on to movement tests. They test all your joints and range of motion. Bending and so forth. Then onto weights and cardio. On a stepper thing for about 3 minutes to check heart rate. Then lifting. Basically lift bags from one bucket to another then back. Then lift a milk crate onto table then one above head. None was difficult. Then out to trailer. Must be able to climb off and on trailer. Then onto trailer to climb onto box stand and then back down. Again, nothing difficult.

Transferring is an option if a position is open. They are very accommodating to transfers as they want you to be happy.

Insurance. Only have it for my self. 80/20. Like 35 per week.

If you have other questions please feel free to ask. Either post here or send me a private message.

Maverick Transportation

That's awfully nice of you Tyler (did you now there is also Tyler Durden that posts on Zerohedge?)

Tyler Durden on ZeroHedge

Anyways, I digress, but I looked at the Glass Division of Maverick and the pay is quite decent at 50 - 54 cpm's starting.

Do they have a Canadian subsidiary? Or would they hire Canadian drivers?

Thanks for your input.

Yes the pay for glass is very good to start. Sadly they do not hire in Canada. Ironically though they do run to Canada quite often in the glass division.

Editor's Note: See also:

I am just opening this thread to offer my help to anyone who may have any questions about Maverick. As I continue to go through my progress with the company I am willing to try and answer any questions you may have. If I don't know the answer, I will do my best to get the answer for you.

If any information I provide helps you choose Maverick I will message you my name for the referral. I never found too much on TT regarding Maverick so hopefully I can help answer any questions.

48,000 lb load of respect for flatbed drivers and more

Thank guys. It's been a journey. Once finished all that training and testing, I should mainly be hauling glass. Will still occasionally get coils, steel or wood, but mainly glass. That should take my journeys into Canada. They even said I may take a ferry to New Foundland now and then as well.

48,000 lb load of respect for flatbed drivers and more

As I sit here going through training for flatbed I've gained a whole new world of respect for all you must go through. From the amount of chains to the amount of straps to the varying loads and how each is loaded. From building cradles for coils to building bulkheads for bundles. To everything. I never imagined it would be so damn much to learn.

That doesn't include the difficulty of being away from the family. I truly don't know how you all do it. Not to proud to say I have cried more in the past week then I have in an abundance of years. Nothing worse then when your daughter starts crying struggling to say I love you as she hangs up the phone.

Pocket knives ?

Thanks for the replies. I will leave my spring assist at home then. I have a cheap one from Walmart I will take instead

Pocket knives ?

Is there a law on CDL carrier and pocket knives? What's legal and what's not? Not looking to carry a machete or nothing. I do have spring assist pocket knives and some just plain pocket knives.

Maverick training

I leave for orientation with them this Friday. Already have CDL so no information on the school or obtaining my CDL with them. If you have any questions you can pm and I can answer any as I go through it. When I have time of course