Comments By Ricky O.

https://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t452/ropaint/Prime%20pic_zpsynsda5cm.jpg avatar
  • Ricky O.
  • Comments:

My prime journal

Hey, thanks for taking the time to journal your experience with Prime. I have applied and am currently communicating with a recruiter. Looks like i'll be heading out around the 20th of this month to arrive on Mon. 6/22 Do ya think if you had a few minutes you can advise a new boot on what to pack? I know I'll need a weeks worth of clothes, toiletries ect. ect. but what are some of the extras that you brought with you, what did you wish you brought. what kind of bag did you pack in. Thanks in advance for your anticipated response.

David

I brought too much. Large duffle bag and backpack. I would say bring clothes for 10-14 days and toiletries. Maybe a book and laptop. Allot of waiting.

My prime journal

Ricky, Thanks for your comments/diary.

You mentioned early on that there "was a problem with your cpap report". Then recently you had the issue with the reporting data / sim card on a new machine.

Did you use cpap machine prior to signing on?

If so, did they accept your printed out data sheet as compliance? (want to make sure they do not ask you to do another test, if you are currently using a machine, are compliant and have an acceptable AHI).

Since they made you get a new machine, was it because yours (if you previously had one) was not able to transmit/record your compliance data.

Thanks, and good luck with your journey... look forward to reading more.

I came with a new cpap machine with only 2 weeks use so I didn't have the 30 days compliance they wanted. I think they made a mistake by sending me out. What happened on the road was my aim card came out and it didn't record 3 days. So I fell under 70% compliant and they shut me down. How mine works is I push a button and it gives me codes forb1-7-30-60 days. I punch those codes into a website and download a pdf which I email to prime.

New student at Prime Inc.

Looking forward to your continued updates! Good luckn!

Thanks! I need all the luck I can get lol

Good luck man. Been a great start with Prime for me. Im a week into driving with a trainer. Was struggling with downshift til yesterday and all of a sudden I just got it. Havent all been smooth since but signs I can dop this. Really has been a blast.

My prime journal

Well still rolling. Been a crazy start. Repair delays before we finally hit the road last monday. Headed to las vegas. Had a great time there. Than got hung up swapping trailer for a day, Than my cpap sim card came out for 3 days. I didnt even know it had one.Since it was a new machine and my first few weeks with it it put me out of compliance for 3 days. No driving. Very lame. Back on the truck driving yesterday. Still in the 4 days I have a 6.2 10.3 9.3 .3 and alost 10 hours driving yesterday, total of about 36 hours. Not bad for my first 4 days. While I was shut down and trainer driving we got got our front right bumper about tore off by a small trailer. We went to vegas. From Vegas we got a load going to fontana cal. From there we got a load to los lumas nm. On the way we had to swap and repower a load back to fontana ca. From there got a load back to los lumas nm. That is where we sit waiting now. We have a request in to our fm to get back near springfield and get on a wlamart account so I can get some dock backing in. Sitting at walmart dc now waiting to be unloaded. Been at the door for SIX hours. *******s. If this works I will post a pic of vegas. Trucking aint easy in vegas ; ) vegas_zpsagxyhya6.jpg

My prime journal

Good luck man, stay safe.

I'm with my trainer now hanging out at the terminal. First stop, Dallas. And I forgot to pack my swimming trunks...

Always can go skinny dippin. Good luck in Tx

We went over to take care of something with the logs and get a load and couldnt get the log deal fixed so got put off to 7am. My trainer got up at 1am to find the fix they did yesterday wasn;t fixed. Still leaking. No apu and I use cpap so really need it. He didnt want to go without ac at night either. So we wait again to this afternoon. Guess I might as well get used to it now.

My prime journal

Sounds like your getting it! Keep us posted!

Packed up and ready to roll. Waiting for my laundry to dry. Than shuttle over to the millennium building to meet my trainer. 4 hours on the pad than we're picking up a load and going somewhere.

My trainer says the only time he will drive is when Im too tired or struggling getting into a doc. I will be his fifth trainee and four before me all passed their cdl test. So I think I got a good one.

Next update from the road.

My prime journal

Long day. Insurance info this morning. Sounds like pretty solid benefits. Than spent an hour and half in the sim lab. Still felt a little ill from it from yesterday, so I just hung out and help a couple other people. 330 we had the closing meeting. Got our vest and prime cards. While waiting in line for the id badge a trainer approached me. asked if I had a trainer, I did not so we went to his truck to talk, His first question was going to be mine. He ask do you smoke? Sweet a non smoker. Second question was showers. He tries his best to get one everyday. Has to skip a day some times but mostly everyday. That was a big one for me. I don't want to be in a little box for a month with a smelly slob. He took me over to the millennium building and showed me around. Amazing place. Than back to the room to wait out tornado warning. It got nasty here. Than the sim trainer steven picked me up. We went to a place called the tyme out to watch the Rangers lose to the lightning. Not the highlight of my trip. It does solve my problem of how do I watch the rangers in the finals. Off to the pad in the morning for my 4 hours driving before we hit the road. Should be fun after the terror subsides.

Please read

General Knowledge Test Air Brakes Combination Vehicle Pre-Trip Inspection

Thats what im finding but others say other y's

The written part to get your permit is, gen knowledge, air brakes and combination vehicle. To get your CDL you than have to pass the pre-trip inspection and skills portion.

Test Question

If the question had read "What is the definition of a hazmat?" your answer would have been correct.

Test Question

Not sure if I read it wrong, or what., any ways here is the question

Hazardous Mterials are ? I picked this answer, Hazardous Materials are products that pose a risk to health ,safety, and property during trans. I got it wrong.

I had that question too. My other answers were things like explosives, corrosives and something else. The correct answer was all of the above.

Getting seriously frustrated

At any given company your information is on a computer. If you get frustrated with your recruiter, call the generic recruiting number, ask whoever answers if they can help because your first recruiter isn't returning calls.

That's funny. I really didn't want to be a pain, but that's exactly what I finally did and the guy who answered said.."Hold on..she's sitting right across from me"..lol.

Im at Prime now in orientation. They said they get over 4,000 calls a week and only take about 100 of them. So if you want in with Prime you may have to show some effort and be a pest. I did my app online and called as soon as I submitted it. Good luck

Straight Line Backing Troubles.

Not sure if this helps but I was told that its very easy to over stear when backing. I was also showed that when straight line backing grasp the top of your stearing will with your hand and turn the will in the direction you want the back of your trailer to go. So if you see the back of your trailer drifting to the left, you would turn the top of stearing wheel to the right. Hope that helps on that part.

I believe this instruction is incorrect, if the back of the trailer is drifting left and you turn the top of the wheel to the right you will go further left, you want to turn towards the problem, so if you are drifting left that is a problem so turn to the left and the trailer will go right...

correct. steer towards tbe danger... turn towards tbe mirror you see the trailer in . bht remember your name is not zoro so dont get all crazy with the hand movement its already straight no need to turn more than a hair with a pup to kee it,in line go to 10 if its on,the left go,to,2 if in the right miror but only for,a,second,not until its too late

Thanks Mr Smith, that is the best I've seen that described. Left and right while looking backwards could really mean either way depends on how you look at it. Turn to the mirror you see the trailer in really clears that up.

My prime journal

Tested out of my sim class a day early. Good thing, that thing was starting to make me sick. Was getting dizzy and nauseous. As soon as I tried to take a break and collect myself the trainer comes over to test me out. So I passed the final probably about 5 minuted before I decorated the machine with my lunch. Couple meetings today at 8 and 330 than that's all on the schedule. Just wait for a trainer. I think we are going to the millennium building tomorrow.

Start training with C.R. England

Well the pay is never the same week to week. There's just so many variables.

As far as I know CRE starts their solo drivers at .25cpm so I don't see you making over 30k in a year. No sugar coating, they're actually one of the worst paying carriers and have held that title for many years. But if they are the only ones who will take you then jump at the opportunity. Just make sure to browse your options.

I understand. I have a job. Im just going to C.R. England to obtain my Class A.

I have a job back home making 1k a week in a truck w my dad.

G

Than why the question? Did I miss something?

My prime journal

Insurance class was put off until tomorrow. So even more downtime today. I didnt waist it. I spent the morning in my room watching videos of everything from pretrip inspections to how to move the fifth wheel. Endless stuff to learn. Sim lab today 1-330. After that I think Im hoppin the shuttle downtown to catch a bus to the bass pro shop. Get me some sanity time. Dont have my poles so cant fish but can go look and daydream at bass pro. So far feeling really good about my choice to come to Prime.

Looking for a new career.

Hey, Daniel, you came to the right place. All the stuff here is no-charge free. First thing you need to do is look at what's available at the top of the page. Poke around a bit.

Be sure to start off with a look at the Truck Driver's Career Guide. If you want, the Trucking Truth founder, Brett, wrote a book available online (yup, $0.00 cost.) It's Brett's Book.

If you play your cards right, like I and many others did, you could get all (I said all) your training and practice for free. You still need to pay for your state license fee and the official DOT physical.

Cruise this here forum, see what people did in their driving classes. Go to the General Discussion for more of the OTR life.

Finally (there's much more, and you'll find it) here's how to answer your question about Company-Sponsored Training. This'll help, too: How To Choose A School.

Keep asking questions. Many here love to help out.

Go through the High Road training program on here too, It really is amazing. If you go through it the cdl written test will be easy. Much more there too. Good luck

Cdl training

I wanted to give a loud shot out to everyone thank you for all the help. I first want to say it took me months just to make the decision to become a professional driver it just wasn't another job it was a life. Changing carrerr. I decided to go company paid training after much research something I now regret. I came to this school all ready to go and ready for the challenges. First week let's say was intresting but through a lot of studying and help from fellow students who became family I passed all there tests and the permit at dds . Heck yes cloud 9. But not for long week 2 even more intresting again through US helping each other we survived and week 3 road well we will leave that alone. Test day dds passed pretrip and airbrakes no points heck yes first to maneuvers were straight backing and offset no points he'll yes then got driver side parallel can't get any better. Well let's say I had a brain fart and flunked. That's ok I know what to do to fix it no biggie get it next time. I have been hollared at made fell stupid treated like a child and told I was going to fail all from instructor s here. I wish I could quit and go elsewhere for my training but I don't think I can because of the contract.

Just pass and prove prove the d-bags wrong. I love when someone tells me I cant do something. Thats exactly when I know im getting it done.

OTR Training program

James, sorry to break this to ya, but nobody these days knows who this Roy Rogers guy is.

roy-rogers-with-guitar-on-fence.jpg Roy Rogers, King of the Cowboys

Sweet boots.

My prime journal

I look forward to seeing how your experience compares with mine. I got to the Campus Inn about an hour and a half ago and just finished going though the paperwork.

Awesome. Sit by the door tomorrow morning and maybe you will have day like mine. When I left for my room at 4:30 there was still a good sized line for the doc. Good luck

Haha your day was much different than mine. Apex took about twenty minutes with the wait and all, then over to the drug test, where I waited for 45 minutes. The line for the nurse was another 20 minutes, and then another 20 minute wait to see the doc. After that, I took a couple of written CDL tests as I don't have my permit yet. I'm surprised at how many people came without studying - I used The High Road, and passed my Gen Knowledge and Combination first try. I'll do the rest tomorrow - I ran out of time due to having to be in the sim lab. I am group A, so I was done at 3:30.

After that, I made my way to the interview, which I didn't walk out of until 5pm due to the line - last one of the day, I believe. The interview itself was less than 5 minutes as I don't have anything on my records. I ate dinner, my only meal of the day, and did CBTs until about 7:30.

I don't envy group D, by the way...

Sorry to hijack your thread, just throwing out my contrasting experience. Lots of hurrying up to wait!

.. All good highjack anytime.

Today was allot of down time. Class at 730am on log books. Med cards at 1030. Quick shuttle to DMV to transfer permit. They didn't except my air brakes from PA so I had to take that test again. Took less than 5 minutes. $32.50 Got a copy to the office than off til 830pm. Walked over and got a much needed hair cut.

Sim lab went much smoother tonight. That double clutchin took a minute to get the rhythm.

Really not as much going on as I thought. Lots of down time. I read other posts that talked about how they spent their down time on the pad doing backing and pretrip practice. If that was true before it isn't goin on now. We wont see the pad until the weekend. So looks like a day or two on the pad before they throw you in the deep end and you hit the road.

I think we go to the millennium building saturday too.

No more late night sims for me. Glad that is over. They have a shuttle to what they call coyboy church tomorrow night, Might go check that out. Have to find a place to watch the Rangers game 7 friday night.

Tomorrow should be a very exciting update. It starts with an insurance class. Than a ton of down time.

My prime journal