Comments By Guzinta

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0215962001521761393-34540.jpg avatar
  • Guzinta
  • Comments:

Posted:  6 years ago

Pam/Driver solutions Contract

I have to say I'm in the camp that says honor your contract. All research should be done prior to entering any contract. It's not like the company changed the conditions of the agreement. I was brought up that a man's hand shake (or signature) was his word and you make good on it. What is this mentality that you can just jump ship on a whim and think there are no consequences? The will be consequences. Brett's post is spot on imho. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but think hard before you make a big mistake.

Posted:  6 years ago

Finally a decision

Well after much research I think after school in a week I will be headed to Melton. Any comments?

I've heard a lot of good things about Melton, however I don't have any first hand experience. Go into it with a will to succeed and chances are you will!

Posted:  6 years ago

Get out of the truck!

Beautiful shots! Where bouts?

Posted:  6 years ago

Upshifting after quick stop in traffic

Hello fellow truckers So my trainer is a cool guy but i dont think he understands what i mean maybe you guys can help me out? While im downshifting thru towns i find myself sometimes coming to a complete stop usually when im in 6th i kick it in neutral once the light turn im suddenly upshifting again im around 5mph so either gear 4th or 5th i grind it hard all the time i can just see my trainer crinch up everytime i do it i start panicking now ive lost all momentum and have to stop completely still grinding gears can you please help me

What you describe is frustrating. At first I had the same issue. The solution? Anticipate! (and lot of practice) Sounds easy, but much harder to do in practice. Always give yourself ample space, even in traffic. Brake smoothly. I float all my gears. In stop and go traffic as you describe, be ready to flip the splitter and drop it into the appropriate gear, usually 2nd or 3rd. Once you know what speed will allow you to drop it right into gear at an idle, you will be all set. I always get into 2nd before coming to a complete stop, but almost never have time to downshift through every gear to get there. Never touch the clutch unless I have to completely stop. Hope some of this makes sense!

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

My first bad rookie story

He was probably ticked because you took him away from guarding the local Dunkin Donuts.

rofl-3.gif

BTW Nice job Paul getting yourself out of a jam.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

This state will fine truck drivers up to $2,000 for using this road

OK this is hilarious. At about 1:40 in the video of the article you linked to, the reporter is standing by the rock that most drivers get stuck on. In the background you can clearly see a "truck downgrade" sign. On the road prohibited to trucks. What the heck???

rofl-3.gif

This road is right in my back yard. Anyone who attempts this road is clearly not paying attention. GPS will always get you into trouble if you don't cross reference with a RM atlas. There are "no trucks" signs all over the place on the Notch Road. Check out the news clip below and how this driver destroyed is trailer.

Smuggler's Notch News Clip

I saw that too. It is standard signage for "steep downgrade".

The more interesting part to me is the footage of the road and the semi hung up on the boulder. This just doesn't compute in my mind. You'd have to be just creeping and to not see your tandems about to get sheered??? wtf-2.gif

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

This state will fine truck drivers up to $2,000 for using this road

Smuggler's Notch News Clip

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Tailgaters

The nice thing about being tailgated in the truck is that they are so far back that it's easy to ignore them. So that's what I do. If they are stupid enough to take that risk, so be it. I just drive normally. Sometimes when pulling a steep hill I get down to about 40 - 45 mph and they still won't go by. I call it a special kind of stupid.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Just an Old Trucker

Prayers of comfort and healing for Moose and thanks to God for putting Keith in his life.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Pick Your Nightmare 1, 2, 3, or 4

Put them in order from what you would least like to happen to you.

1. Winter driving over very icy roads.

2. Rush order run where you find yourself face to face with a low overpass.

3. Broke down on the side of Highway in the middle of the night in freezing temps, no heat or sleeper berth.

4. On a wide open expanse shoulderless two-lane Highway with 70+ mph winds

3,4,2,1

I'm a mostly local, sometimes regional covering northern VT, NH, ME, NY, and Canada

1 In northern regions we drive on ice and snow a lot. Black ice is the worst and you hopefully anticipate and get yourself off the road.

2 If this happens, I failed at my job.

3 is the scariest up here because if you break down on a mountain pass or other remote spot in the middle of the night, no one is going to come and rescue you in a timely manner. You'd better be prepared with -30F down sleeping bag and extra dry warm clothes. This situation happens quite a bit up this way.

4 If I'm fully loaded, it's a lot less scary. If I'm shuttling an empty, I'm worried.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Petition that will require states to create more truck parking

Signed

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Out Of The Hospital (finally) - Heavy Lifting Restrictions?!?!?!

Hey Rick. I feel your pain...literally. I just had a similar triple hernia operation last week as well. My hernias were all located in the lower left and center abdominal area. They stem from emergency diverticulitis surgeries that I had in 2009. I have been living with them since, but the hernias became quite aggravated after a year in the trucking industry. I have a mostly local gig that gets me home every night, all no-touch freight, but the downside is that I do a ton of drop/hooks every day. Old crappy landing gear will be your worst enemy. Trailers left too high or too low are your next worst. There are some simple tricks of the trade that can be used, that beat the "bull and jam" methods. I carry variety different sized wood blocks. Whether a low or a high trailer, using the wood blocks and the 5th wheel air drop system, you can take most or all of the weight off the landing gear long enough to crank it to the proper position. If you go OTR with no-touch freight, I believe you will be fine. I plan on being back to work in another 3 weeks and have no worries. I'm 62 and am just coming up on my one year anniversary of driving these big beast and I love it. If you persevere through the first few months your will be golden. Early on, you WILL have days where you wonder if you are capable of doing this. Just DON'T give up! Find a decent company with up to date equipment and that will help a lot. Most of the time, at least in warmer weather, you can spin the landing gear with one finger. Let your body heal and then listen to it. Exercise is your friend. I'm sorry for rambling so much but want you offer some encouragement. Our stories are similar. I came from 34 yrs of IT before getting into this crazy industry. You've gotten some great advise here. I remember a quote but can't remember the source. Might have been Mark Twain. Goes something like this: "Whether you think you can or you think to can't, you are probably right". That's all! Good luck to you.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Starting At 60 years young am I crazy.

Starting At 60 years young am I crazy.

Not sure if you're crazy, but I know I am. smile.gif

I'm coming up on my one year milestone of driving solo. I just turned 62. With your credentials, you will be just fine (imho).

Which companies have driver facing cameras?

Bellavance has them.

Weight loss is possible!

Okay so let me start this by saying last year when I entered this profession I had a huge weight problem. When I recieved my permit my license said 5'9" 279 pounds what a slap in the face. Sleep Apnea machine was a given when I was hired. With hard work and healthy habits I am happy to report ( drum roll please) 219 pounds down 60 pounds since I started. Yes weight loss is possible driving for a living. I still need to lose 45 pounds but I am driven now more than ever.

Nice job! Would you mind sharing your formula?

Clean MVR Driving Record

What is considered to be a "Clean Driving Record"???

Report should show "No Violations"

Max age to start a trucking career?

I just turned 61 years old. Am I too old to start a new career? I have zero experience but after studying different trucking schools I would like to begin with Prime. One year after training would be a short time to pay back your loan. I have read a lot about Prime and I like the idea of the extended training.

Hi Steven. I Got my CDL at age 60. I'm 61 now and been running solo for about 4 months. I love this job! As long as you have your health and a positive attitude, you'll do just fine. Good luck!

Floating Gears vs Double Clutching

The mechanics in our shop said they'd hurt me if they caught me using the clutch! I guess they don't like replacing them :)

smile.gif

How hard is it to find local truck driving jobs vs long haul?

Noob question, but how hard is it to find local truck driving jobs? I'm thinking getting my CDL but the lifestyle of an OTR driver living on the road doesn't really appeal to me. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I lucked out getting my local gig. I was hired for OTR, but while I was in training one of the local positions became available and was offered to me. I work for a smaller company with about 200 trucks. So the local jobs are out there, depending on your location. Some of the places I get to go are quite challenging and I'm grateful that I have damaged any equipment or property. I do a ton of drop and hooks in a day, so I do get my exercise! But I am home every night and I'm grateful for that.

Deflated - Celadon, Knight, Roehl Won't Take Me & Pushing Roadmasters

I don't have answer; just wanted say keep your chin up. Life often throws us roadblocks because we're headed in the wrong direction. There's hundreds of places in this country...you'll find the right one!

That may be true, about "hundreds of places in this country", but I (unfortunately) am financially challenged, which is why I was focused on company-sponsored programs. Roadmasters Truck Driving School charges about $7000 for their training. shocked.png And their recruiter said that whichever company picks me up, would cover about 90% of that via tuition reimbursement. That (still) sounds like a contractual obligation to the trucking company of some kind, plus I'd still have to pay the balance to their lender the same way that you would pay any other bank loan (a note every month). The recruiter is trying to convince me that, going through them is better because my starting pay out of school would be higher, and I'd have more "freedom to move" to another company if I felt the need, or if a better opportunity pay-wise presented itself.

Of course, I'm skeptical. Roadmasters said that they deal with several of the large companies, including the ones I originally named. So again, I'm interested in feedback from you guys and gals - specifically about Roadmasters.

Check with you department of labor in you state. There's a federal program WIA (Workforce Investment Act 1998), and a follow on program, administered through states. You may qualify for a partial or full grant, depending on you circumstances. Worked for me. Hope this helps...