Comments By LadyDee

• LadyDee
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
  • Comments:

Deflated - Celadon, Knight, Roehl Won't Take Me & Pushing Roadmasters

I don't have answer; just wanted say keep your chin up. Life often throws us roadblocks because we're headed in the wrong direction. There's hundreds of places in this country...you'll find the right one!

That may be true, about "hundreds of places in this country", but I (unfortunately) am financially challenged, which is why I was focused on company-sponsored programs. Roadmasters Truck Driving School charges about $7000 for their training. shocked.png And their recruiter said that whichever company picks me up, would cover about 90% of that via tuition reimbursement. That (still) sounds like a contractual obligation to the trucking company of some kind, plus I'd still have to pay the balance to their lender the same way that you would pay any other bank loan (a note every month). The recruiter is trying to convince me that, going through them is better because my starting pay out of school would be higher, and I'd have more "freedom to move" to another company if I felt the need, or if a better opportunity pay-wise presented itself.

Of course, I'm skeptical. Roadmasters said that they deal with several of the large companies, including the ones I originally named. So again, I'm interested in feedback from you guys and gals - specifically about Roadmasters.

Bobtail Crashes Into Driver Ed Car in Goshen, NY and 3 Kids Were Killed (Earlier This Week)

@ Jetguy - Scott M

I agree with you about 3 kids being in the rear seat. The driver was also a kid (16-year-old girl). The instructor may have some liability here as well. I wasn't aware that more than 1 person could be taught/allowed in a Drivers Ed car at one time. And the issue about the trucker's logbook didn't occur to me until you mentioned it. Jeez. So many lives ruined. 3 families lost their child. The trucker may lose his career and his license. The girl may be forever traumatized (she lived). And the instructor may be terminated and sued.

Deflated - Celadon, Knight, Roehl Won't Take Me & Pushing Roadmasters

embarrassed.gif

They rejected me because of where I live. Mr. Aquila told me from the beginning that this might happen.

In Celadon's case, they said I needed to live in Ocala, FL or points north of that. Ocala is within 3 hours of St. Petersburg. I could've driven there.

In Knight's case, they told me they're not doing CDL training anymore and I need to go to Roadmasters Truck Driving School in Tampa, FL. They hire from that school. Which means I'd have to get financing from Roadmasters' lender and go on a tuition reimbursement plan of some kind.

Roehl said they're not currently hiring for their CDL training program out of Florida. I would have to move to Alabama because that's where their closest school to me is.

The last school on my list is PAM Transport, and they're forced team for the first 6 months after training. embarrassed.gif

What I need to know right now is, have any of you gone through Roadmasters and got hired by a known, reputable company? What was your experience with them like?

I just finished reading about this in several media sources online. The word is, the bobtail was at a flashing yellow at an intersection, and the Drivers Ed car was at a stop sign that also had a red signal. The stories said that the bobtail broadsided the car at the driver's side rear door. The 3 kids in the back were injured, 1 of them died at the scene, 1 at the hospital, and the third just died of his injuries. Who's at fault here? What impact do you veteran truckers think, this will have on truckers in general?

Broke Newbie

rofl-2.gifrofl-2.gifrofl-2.gif

Lady, you're FUNNY! Maybe I should coordinate with you on what school to go to, and then ask you to be my partner in the event of forced teaming! You sound like my kind of woman, all about business and able to improvise on a dime, and a sense of humor to take the edge off.

HOS Regulations Are Going To Be My NEMESIS

wtf.gif

I'm currently working on the Logbook section of the HRTP. I feel I have a pretty good grasp of the basic concepts (14/11/60-70, 30-min break, Split Sleeper Berth Rule). I really have an issue about hours you may be working somewhere else (driving) counting against your On Duty time. I really can't see how a trucker would have time to work another job, and even if they did, isn't this a bit intrusive on your personal life/time? How would a trucking company know if you're working somewhere else driving? What, do they cross-reference employee rosters with every company on the planet? (Yes I'm being a little sarcastic).

I also have an issue with being restricted to no more than 70 hours in a 8-day period. Heck, I was able to drive a transit bus for 72 hours in a 7-day period, and was shut down for 24 hours before I could drive again. I',m a HUSTLER, I like to run HARD, and this is going to bug me, so I guess I'm going to have to base my movements (driving) on when my pickups/dropoffs have to be made, and use the Split Sleeper Berth Time and the flat 10 hours in the Sleeper Berth to the best of my ability. Mind you, I haven't even gotten to truck driver school yet ...

Humbled by shifting.... :)

Bonarro, Check out this YouTube video on double clutching the best I've seen.

How To Double Clutch A Tractor Trailer This is an explanation about how to double clutch shift a tractor trailer

embarrassed.gifembarrassed.gif

O M G ... I've been wondering all this time, what the heck you all mean by clutch. I tried to visualize it in terms of how I drive my automatic transmission car. What I've discovered, after watching this EXCELLENT video, is that I'll have to COMPLETELY relearn how to drive. Driving a 18-wheeler means I'll have to drive with BOTH FEET - ALL THE TIME. This terrifies me. Your coordination has to be perfect. I'm right-handed and drive with my right foot only. I hope that by the time I get to truck driving school, I won't feel this way, and I hope I get a really patient trainer.

Two Awesome New Flatbed Sections Now In The High Road Training Program!

Mr. Aquila, I've been hard at work for the past couple of days, taking advantage of your HRTP. I just finished the HazMat section. I just want to THANK YOU for this EXCELLENT program. I appreciate your willingness to encourage and help "wannabes" like myself, and for taking the time out of your personal life to do this for us. I'm amazed at how much of this information I'm actually retaining. I don't know if it's because of the way you constucted the program, or if it's God telling me to go for it (truck driving). Maybe it's both. All I know is, I want to be like you when I grow up! God bless you.

Knight Enterprises

Hello to all. I haven't been on here for a while. I just wanted to let everyone know that as of 2 weeks ago, according to Knight Recruiter "Kristen Sayman", they are NO LONGER providing training for aspiring truck drivers like myself. She said a prospective driver needs to come to their "Squire" training program straight out of another accredited truck driving school. This news really deflated me. I'm having a hard time making truck driving happen for myself. I have a current CDL B with a HazMat endorsement, I have a CDL A permit, I have a current Medical Certificate, and I've passed the tests for Tankers and Combinations (Doubles/Triples). Florida won't put these last two endorsements on my physical license until I pass the skills and road tests in a Class A vehicle. It appears that an update of the information on this website is in order (no insult intended).

As far as what I need and am looking for in a trucking company and a school, is - I don't want to drive teams, I need to stay in Florida, I need transportation, lodging and meals to be paid for, and I need to be getting some type of pay while in school/training. I do not have problem with contractual commitments as it relates to "repaying" the cost of the school. So what companies are still providing company-sponsored training?

Knight Enterprises

Posted:  5 years ago

Feedback On "Quality Drivers" TD School

Thank you Jay for taking the time to respond.

Posted:  5 years ago

Feedback On "Quality Drivers" TD School

Has anyone attended "Quality Drivers" truck driving school, that is based in Indianapolis, IN? What companies hire out of that school besides Celadon (and what's up with them?)?

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

Driving OTR is all I Think About And I'm Overwhelmed By All the Info On This Website About Truck Driving Schools and Companies

Mr. Jopa, I thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, but LYING to a potential employer is NOT MY M.O. I guess the "principal place of domicile" issue is something I'd have to address with a recruiter, right?

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

One Thing I'm Both Mystified and Amused About: Why the AVERSION To NYC Runs?

Why did I get stuck on TOLLS in your response, Mr. Aquila? Doesn't the trucking company provide their drivers with toll money or EZ Passes or something? Drivers are expected to pay tolls? Hell, in NYC you need a job JUST for that.

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

One Thing I'm Both Mystified and Amused About: Why the AVERSION To NYC Runs?

I understand. Thanks!

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

One Thing I'm Both Mystified and Amused About: Why the AVERSION To NYC Runs?

While reading the information on this website about Company-sponsored truck driving schools, I noticed that quite a few people were asking about "forced dispatch" to New York City? Why are so many drivers reluctant (for lack of a better word) to NYC? I was born and raised there (Brooklyn), and I completely understand as far as traffic, but there has to more to it as far as trucking is concerned, so what is it exactly? Tolls?

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

Thank you, Mr. Aquila, for taking the time to respond. What you've stated is discouraging, to be honest. You obviously know exactly where I am; how can St. Pete be considered "South Florida"? I don't understand that. If I were in Naples or points south of that, I could see it. I see Knight trucks, Old Dominion trucks, Saia trucks, Scales trucks, Werner trucks, US Express trucks, Estes trucks, AAA Cooper trucks and numerous others in my area (I-275, I-75, I-4) all the time. I will follow your advice and look at all the companies you have on this website again and focus on who hires from Florida. I'm sure there are a LOT of drivers who are from Florida on this forum, and I hope that one of them or some of them are willing to give me some feedback.

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

Hello to all. I am a soon-to-be-55-year-old African American female who lives in St. Petersburg, FL, and who wants to drive a big rig. I'd like to finish my work life driving OTR. I currently drive public transit buses and I have a CDL Class B license. I have NO criminal history, ONE blemish on my 7-year driving history (I was cited for failure to yield while performing my job, and the citation was subsequently DISMISSED in court - otherwise, I have NOTHING on my driving record), and consistent, continuous employment history that spans the past 15 years. As to what I'm looking for in a driving school, I've narrowed it down to this: I need a school that will pay for the training, transportation to get to the school and back home, meals and lodging (fulfilling a minimum 1-year employment commitment won't be an issue). I need a school that will guarantee me a job after training and run me solo during training. I'm absolutely NOT interested in teams, period. I need a school/company that has electronic logging (I'm computer-literate). I need a school/company who pays ALL dispatch (breakdown, deadhead, layover, detention, etc.). I need a school/company who has training facilities/terminals in Florida or Georgia (North Carolina would be a bit far for home time). I'm interested in being a company driver ONLY. So who wants to give me help in choosing a school/company?