Profile For Sami

Sami's Info

Las Vegas, NV

Considering A Career

4 years, 2 months ago

Sami's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Offset to the left

Here is a good video that explains it perfect. Helped me tons. It's opposite (offset right) but same concept just reversed http://youtu.be/Y-KOMbD7EA4

Thank you so much for this! I've been having a hard time with parallel, this helps!

I'm curious about insurance for belongings in the truck

I've always been a renter, and have had renters insurance. The policy covers my belongings in the house, but most also covered my belongings in my personal vehicle. So if my phone or purse were stolen out of my vehicle, the policy on my apartment would cover the loss. I guess home-owners insurance is similar.

But now, I'm not going to have an apartment to insure. I'm wondering if there is some kind of trucker insurance? Anyone know?

Thanks!

Conway-Freight Bought Out By XPO Logistics

Ok, good! Thanks Old School! I'm pretty excited to get started so I was hoping that was the case!

Conway-Freight Bought Out By XPO Logistics

Oh dear. That doesn't bode well does it? Either way, I'm supposed to start school (5 weeks) on the 26th and after that go out with a trainer for 7500 miles. So, I should be solo in (give or take) 10 weeks. Could a possible sale go that quickly? And if it does, what could that mean for the drivers? Best case? Worst case? Any of you who know how these sales generally go have any thoughts? I'd much rather go with Conway as things stand now, but Swift and Prime are certainly still possibilities for me.

Conway-Freight Bought Out By XPO Logistics

Thanks, good to know.

Conway-Freight Bought Out By XPO Logistics

So, should I be concerned about getting my CDL sponsored by Conway Truckload? I'm set to start on the 26th. I spoke to my recruiter today before reading this, and he didn't mention anything about it, which isn't surprising, really.

Truckers wearing flip-flops: Why all the hate?

Ahh. . . I think I'm starting to get it: flip-flops = lazy/sloppy. See, to me, flip-flops just mean summertime. I don't wear them because I'm too lazy to put on shoes, I wear them because it's HOT. Same reason I wear shorts.

I wouldn't dream of leaving my house in sweat pants or (shudder) pajama pants, not even to run to the mailbox. But if lazy/sloppy/sweatpants/flip flops all go together out there, well then I can understand the vitriol. That's exactly what I was wondering--not why I shouldn't wear them, but where all the anger was coming from. Got it.

Now I'm going to go find some you tube videos starring Averitt drivers smile.gif

Truckers wearing flip-flops: Why all the hate?

Is it somehow seen as unprofessional?

I've never seen the term flip flop and professional used in the same sentence. Selling corn dogs on the beach, maybe, otherwise, not so much.

I suppose. I'd definitely put on shoes at a customer. Then again, jeans aren't normally considered "professional" wear in most industries.

Really guys, no big deal.

Truckers wearing flip-flops: Why all the hate?

Ha, wow! See what I mean? Everyone's SOOO adamant! It's kinda crackin' me up (no offense, Errol--thanks for your reply.)

I get the safety thing, and where I work I wouldn't wear them even if I was allowed to. I do like my toes. (I'm not yet a driver by the way, I'm merely a bartender). But is it really unsafe to drive with them on?

I know, you got the $35 ones form Bass Pro. Don't waste time arguing. No flip flops .. well .. outside your cab.

Nah, I've got a five dollar pair from Ross Dress For Less. I'm not even sure my sneakers cost $35 bucks :)

And I won't argue, this is sheer curiosity.

Truckers wearing flip-flops: Why all the hate?

I've been watching a lot of you tube videos about trucking lately (video crack) and there seems to be an overwhelming disdain for flip flops.

Why? Is it unsafe to drive a truck in them? Less safe then wearing them to drive a car? Is it somehow seen as unprofessional? I can see putting on shoes or boots when I get to a customer, but if I'm just driving (and it's not cold) I'd like my toes to breathe.

Or is it just a Trucker thing?

I've lived in a desert for the last 20 some years and wear flip flops anytime I can. It's soo hot, shoes just make it feel hotter.

I can't wear them to work now for safety and Heath department reasons, so I guess if I can't wear them to drive I'll survive, but I'm really curious as to why all the hatred.

Poor flippity floppities getting no love.

Just curious, thanks.

New experience for me.

I love that drive! I went from Vegas to Denver on I15/I70 a couple years ago. East of Denver I got off the interstate and took a state road all the way across Nebraska and then into Des Moines. I was amazed at the difference a couple hundred miles could make when it came to scenery, and I that's when I first got this bug to drive.

Utah is absolutely gorgeous--I can't believe I'd lived just down the road for so many years and had no idea. Never done it in the winter though, but I imagine I will eventually. I'm looking forward to it, and I'm also NOT looking forward to it, if that makes sense :)

How does home time work?

Thanks Realist and Daniel. That's exciting!

How does home time work?

I was wondering if I could fit a bike in the sleeper. So, it's doable? Or would it attach to the back of the truck somehow?

I plan to only get "home" to see family a couple/few times a year, which is about how often I see most of my family now. The rest of my home time I plan to take whenever and wherever I happen to be when I reach certain financial goals, or feel like I just need a break.

Following this thread, since I have similar curiosities. . . For instance, how much notice would I need to give? Say I've been out for 6 weeks (or 6 months, like the OP) and I'm assigned a load to say, Des Moines. I see the Iowa Cubs have a games that weekend, would it be out of line to ask to take home time right after that delivery, or will my dispatch need more notice than that? I understand every dispatcher/company may be different, just wondering if that sort of thing is done, or if it's frowned upon. I guess what I'm asking is, how far out does dispatch have me (at least tentatively) planned, so therefore, how much notice for home time should I give?

Posted:  4 years ago

What's the best way to search for a specific company's routes?

Wow, that's a long ride! Cool.

That's good to know about Prime, since I'm not interested in Team driving. I need to go the company sponsored route, so I may just have to suck it up for the first year of I do end up at Prime. It's not a deal breaker.

I'm a little familiar with MVT just because I used to live down there. My aunts former husband drove for them years ago, but they've divorced and I have no idea how to get ahold of him to pick his brain. They do have a school nearby, but their website has very little information regarding tuition/financial aid, so I may just give them a call on Monday.

Thanks for your input! Hope you got/are getting some zzz's :)

Posted:  4 years ago

Coming to Prime? some advice for you

Thanks Shantastic!

I was thinking I should get a physical before training and now I think I will, just in case, even if they're going to do their own.

If you find time, let us know how it's going. I love these training diaries! But, if you're too crazy busy feel free to ignore me :) I'm sure you have a ton going on. Best of luck!

Posted:  4 years ago

What's the best way to search for a specific company's routes?

That should read "happy to take home time WHEREVER" not whenever. :)

Posted:  4 years ago

What's the best way to search for a specific company's routes?

I'm not even sure exactly how to ask the question :)

I'm researching companies but having a hard time figuring out how to find out where they run more than the general "northeast" or "Midwest," etc.

I'm not going to keep a domicile while over the road, and I'm happy to take "home" time whenever, for the most part. However, I would like to get through Phoenix and Las Cruces, NM (both on I-10, which is handy) a couple times per year to see my nieces, and Albuquerque occasionally to check in on my Mom.

I keep googling everything I can think of, and have found tons of maps of general truck routes, but I'm not having much luck finding out which companies specifically route through I-10, I-17, I-25 and/or I-40 that far west.

Does anyone know of a resource like that, or is this a question for recruiters? If it helps, I'm leaning towards Prime (which seems to do a lot of west coast, but I'm not sure about southwest) or Roehl. I know Roehl has a Phoenix terminal, but I'm unclear if that's just for their flatbed division.

Any help is appreciated, as always. You guys are great!

Posted:  4 years ago

What did you do before becoming a truck driver?

I've been tending bar for about a hundred and fifty years. Okay, not quite, but I just hit the 20 year mark in May.

Two years ago I took a road trip by myself that, all total, ended up being just over 5000 miles, through 13 states over about 3 1/2 weeks. I loved loved loved the solitude! I did stop and see friends and family when they were close, but for the most part I was just alone inside my own head. I guess socializing for a living has really made me a wannabe hermit. I don't leave my house or talk to anyone at all on my days off, if I can at all help it.

The only thing I really didn't like about the trip was unloading into a hotel room every night, just to turn around and re-load a few hours later. No worries there once I have a sleeper.

Since that trip I spent a year and a half dreaming of becoming a full time solo RVer, but I don't have the money to stop working completely. I'm completely burnt out behind the bar, so a few months ago I googled "jobs with 100% travel" and it hit me like a brick. Of course! The next day I stumbled onto TruckingTruth, read Brett's book in one sitting and have been lurking here ever since, and planning.

The more I think about getting into this industry the more I wonder what took me so long!

I'm planning on starting school as soon as my lease is up (two months) and going "homeless" OTR for at least a couple of years. Without the expenses of a household I figure I can pay off my debts fairly quickly and then start saving for the future, whatever it may bring.

So excited!

Thanks to everyone here for all you do, and great thread Errol!

Posted:  4 years ago

Type of freight for more AM driving?

Thanks for the replies. I haven't completely ruled out flat bed work, but I worry I'm not strong enough to be throwing those heavy chains and tarps around. Something to think about though.

Ive applied to Prime and Roehl, so I'll have to ask the recruiters how that is in their particular companies. If I have to drive more at night at first that's fine, I'll happily pay my dues. Hopefully once I prove myself worthy and make friends with my dispatcher I can't work into more daytime work, whatever I end up pulling.

Thanks again!

Posted:  4 years ago

The Life, Death, and Resurrection Of My Truck Driving Career

Wow. I'm so glad you're OK!

I'm still 2 months from starting school, but I know your story will stay with me for a long, long time. Thanks for sharing, and again, glad you're alive (and employed) still.

Goodness . . .