Profile For tarheel59

tarheel59's Info

Lawndale , NC

Considering A Career

3 years, 11 months ago

tarheel59's Bio

I am 58 years old,I have lived in NC all my life. I love sports,fishing and camping. Live in upper Cleveland County NC

Posted:  6 days, 10 hours ago

Rainy's Latest Blog

Thank you Rainy for writing this. Getting Past Your Fear of the Unknown is what I needed to hear. I have been considering a career for quite some time. Even though I have a valid Class A CDL, I have zero experience. It has been 10 years since I graduated from truck driving school. So, I have fears about going through whatever company's training I would have to go thru. I do realize that everyone makes mistakes. But, the fear of failure has held me back at this point. Thank you very much for the story you told about what happened by you turning in the wrong drive. It does give me some hope to try and overcome my fear.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Have Been on TT For Awhile

Just started applying at some companies. Would really like something regional. But, may have to go 48 state or at least east of Mississippi River. Big Scott haven't forgotten you. 😁

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Have Been on TT For Awhile

Thanks guys. I have some decisions on a company to start out with.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Have Been on TT For Awhile

Hi, this is tarheel59. I have been a member of TT for several years. I don't post very much. I have been postponing truck driving as a career change. I had been waiting to see if a position at my present company of 10 years would come open. The position came open for operations manager in my present company. Company decided to hire outside the company to replace retiring operations manager. I did not get the job. It turned out who you know not what you know! So I am back to looking at starting a trucking career. Some of you may know that my situation is not straight forward. I have a valid Class A CDL which I kept up for almost 10 years now But, never used it. I did go through a truck driving school. So I have a CDL A that does me no good. I drive buses and vans for a transportation company and some of the buses do require a CDL. I am just starting to look at companies again. I am 59 and not getting any younger lol. Thanks for listening. God Bless

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

CFI team CPM? Big Scott?

Hi, don't want to steal Big Scott's thunder. lol Team starts at .51 split.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Making A Decision

Thanks G-TOWN

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Turned Down

Thanks, Brett and Old School, on to next one.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Turned Down

Army, I did that. She said it was the powers that be. It came from hiring board. So I am in the dark!

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Turned Down

Hi everyone, one of the companies I was interested in, turned me down. Recruiter had no idea or would not tell me why. Is this common. Employment record is great. No tickets since I was 16. No accidents since 16. I am 58. Been at job for last 9 years. No drug use or failed drug test ever. I'm a little baffled at this.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Making A Decision

Thanks, Big Scott and Susan for your comments.Patrick C. I know you are very satisfied with your company. That's great.

Posted:  8 months, 4 weeks ago

Making A Decision

Right at my back door

Posted:  8 months, 4 weeks ago

Making A Decision

Thanks Chip makes sense to me. Patrick C. I have watched the promotional. Occasionally I see a H O Holding truck. Is a pretty blue. Thanks guys

Posted:  8 months, 4 weeks ago

Making A Decision

Hi everyone, have a question. How hard was it for you personally to decide on which company to to start your career with? I am struggling with making this decision. I do know it comes down to me. Commitment! Thanks

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

A year in Swift Land.

Thanks Big T, Swift is definitely on my short list of companies to start my career with.

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

Dry Van, Reefer,Advantages and Disadvantages

Thanks Dave, I have heard from reefer drivers I have talked to about waiting at distribution centers and crazy delivery times.

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

Dry Van, Reefer,Advantages and Disadvantages

Jeremy, I know enough not to even think about tankers. Don't want to deal with that surge learning to drive. Heavy C no tankers for sure. 😁

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

Dry Van, Reefer,Advantages and Disadvantages

Thanks Cold War Surplus and Heavy C for your input. I've been around a few reefers. They are loud!

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

Dry Van, Reefer,Advantages and Disadvantages

Hi everyone, what do you like about your particular freight you pull ? I have read and listened to pod casts about dry van, reefer and flatbed on this site. Mainly interested in your perspective of dry van and reefer. From research and listening and reading on TT, flatbed is not the best choice for a new driver, though some.do make it work. Would like fresh input from drivers. Thanks

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

Decisions and Commitment!

Hi everyone, I have been on this site for quite a long time. I try to absorb everything I read. Thank you Brett, Errolv, G-Town, Rainy, Old School , Big Scott and many others. I listen to the Pod Casts, I read everything. I have wanted to drive OTR for about nine years. I went to truck driving school in 2009. And I have maintained it for all these years.I drive a passenger bus, and have been at it for about 9 years. My intentions were as soon as I graduated from truck driving school to go to work with an OTR company. I had decided on one but, my mom got sick and soon after passsed away. My dad was not in good health too. So I took.a job with the company i am with now. 2 years later I lost my dad. I always wanted to drive OTR. So at this moment I have a decision to make and a COMMITMENT! I have several companies that would send me through school and out with a trainer. Some full school and some a refresher. I know it's not the company but, the driver that makes this career. I have some companies that I am leaning towards. Will make a decision. Thanks for listening. I am not much of a writer. 😁

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Would this keep me from driving OTR?

Thanks ∆ Danielsahn ∆, I do realize it is very important to keep up with health issues. More so with being OTR.