Profile For Truck Drivin' Lawyer (TDL)

Truck Drivin' Lawyer (TDL)'s Info

Milwaukee, WI

Experienced Driver

3 years, 1 month ago

Truck Drivin' Lawyer (TDL)'s Bio

Truck driver for PC Logistics in Milwaukee, WI, running a dedicated route for Sendik's Foods. I also have a law degree from Marquette University Law School.

Truck Drivin' Lawyer (TDL)'s Photo Gallery

Manesis Transportation

This is kind of a long shot, but does anyone on here have experience with Manesis Transportation out of West Allis, WI? They specialize in heavy haul, oversize/overweight, and construction equipment delivery.

Flatbed Variety

Flatbedders will often find they have to pull/back into a building to load/unload

Being inside a building was always a strange feeling to me. It felt like I was somewhere I didn't belong or something, like having an elephant in a living room. I didn't mind, of course, especially on a rainy day. But seeing big rigs inside a building just always seemed strange.

I have to do that routinely both at Firestone in Deforest, WI, and at Hunter in Chicago. It is sometime fun to watch flatbedders try to back up their truck.

Flatbed Variety

As a day driver for a construction supply company...

Sorry, still getting the hang of posting photos. flatbed trailer delivering construction supplies to house with long winding driveway to back intoflatbed trailer delivering construction supplies to house with long winding driveway to back intocrane unloading construction supplies and wood off flatbed trailer at house

Flatbed Variety

As a day driver for a construction supply company, it is not uncommon for me to have to load, and sometimes unload, 2 to 4 loads in a day. We rarely tarp anything, but we throw a lot of straps. The other thing we are called on to do is back into some interesting situations. These photos are from a school I had to deliver to in Wisconsin on Monday. I walked over to the site, saw the crane next to the building, and saw what I surmised was the only way it could have gotten there - between two pine trees and a fire hydrant. I ask the crane operator if that's where I have to back in, and he says, "That's where I just came in." Uh, yeah, but your driving a roofing crane. Meanwhile I have lifts stacked two-high of 4'x4' ISO, tapered fiber board stacked two-high, and rolls of rubber on the back end. I took out a few branches, and had someone spot me on the fire hydrant, but no damage to the truck, which is what I was more worried about.

Posted:  3 years ago

Flatbed Variety

TDL, that is a step deck that the load of pipe is on. Lowboys are 24" or less to the top of the deck and are also called double drop or RGN trailers.

Thanks for the clarification. Still learning all the terminology (rookie).

Posted:  3 years ago

Flatbed Variety

OK, Pat, here's a photo of a load of 7 miles of pipe stacked on a stepdeck headed to Arizona. Let's not talk about trailer tires today, though, alright?

tmp_9767-0624151819-956709542_zpso5vosb7

That looks so cool. Love the way it is strapped down on the lowboy. Nice job.

Posted:  3 years ago

Flatbed Variety

Not very sexy, perhaps, but this is what we deliver a LOT of. This was my second load of ISO today. We also do a fair amount of shingles, rolls of rubber, and other roofing products like pavers. One thing I love about flat bedding is the diversity. Like this job, for example. I get to the school that is being roofed and the contractor says, "Okay, just back up on the grass between the pine tree and our crane. I'll stop you a couple of feet from the building, and we'll unload you with the crane." Okey dokey.white Ryder flatbed truck loaded with construction materials

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Flatbed Variety

Oh no, it's going to the border with me, then a Mexican truck will take it over the border. Sorry for the confusion!

Lovin' all the great pic's. Keep em comin'!

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

TMC or Roehl

FWIW, I used to work for Roehl (dry van), but know one driver who started with Roehl in flatbed and, after a year or so, went to TMC, then back to Roehl after only a couple of months. I don't know the details other than that he preferred the way Roehl operates.

Also, you may want to check with Melton (used to require only 3 months experience) and Maverick (as long as you have a CDLA, they don't care whether you went to a school or not - also, as far as I know, they only run truck with automatic transmissions).

Good luck to ya!

Thanks, and also thanks to James R. for the very thorough info on TMC.

I also talked to a recruiter at Prime today. Prime also sounds like a great company to work for.

As of right now I am leaning toward Roehl. They are in-state: Their headquarters and training facility are in Marshfield, WI, which is about three hours from Milwaukee. They have a terminal in Appleton, which is even closer. And they have a trailer drop yard on the south side of Milwaukee, about 20 minutes from where I live. Being in-state, they have a lot of options for routes. And from everything I have read they are good to their drivers and safety is a priority.

But I do appreciate all of the great feedback. This is a very cool site. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

TMC or Roehl

Hey i work for tmc, what kindof questions do you have specifically.

I have a bunch, but let's start with the basics:

How long have you been driving, and how long with TMC? What do you like about the company compared to other companies? Do you know whether they have a terminal or drop yard in or near Milwaukee (it is hard to tell from their site)? Would I have to go to Des Moines for training? How is the pay/miles?

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

TMC or Roehl

Here's my thoughts...

Thanks for the thoughts. I am thinking of leaving my current company for three reasons:

First, I don't get much drive time. They only have three semis, and they have two full-time semi drivers and one who splits his time between straight trucks and semis. I either end up driving the straight truck (usually a 24 foot flatbed with a Moffett/Spider), once in a while a semi, or I'm working in the warehouse (which I do NOT like).

Second reason is pay. I make an hourly rate of $17/hr with overtime ($680/wk), and I had to fight for that - I started one year ago at $16/hr.

Third reason is the work is seasonal. Things slow down a lot during winter, and it is hard to get hours. Some guys get laid off or cut back to 32/week.

I don't mind being over the road. My wife and I are both in our fifties and we have no kids. So if I can get a significant pay bump and drive more, it's worth it to me. I know a school would be good for me, and I am leaning toward Roehl. They are in-state (Marshfield, WI), so they have a lot of routes to choose from locally. They have a trailer drop yard right here in MKE. And they have multiple divisions: dry van, flatbed, curtainside, and refrigerated. While I don't mind doing flatbed work (I've been doing it for a year now), it's always nice to have options.

So that's where I'm at.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Flatbed Variety

ryder staked flatbed loaded with aluminum pipe

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Flatbed Variety

This is a load of spiral duct I had to deliver to downtown Milwaukee, WI. Had to back into a parking lot, turn around, then back down this street and parallel park between the crane and another truck. Then me, and two guys from the HVAC contractor, loaded the spiral onto the crane forks one piece at a time.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

TMC or Roehl

Any current drivers for either TMC or Roehl out there? I would be interested in your opinion on either company.

I am considering going with one or the other. I do all flatbed work with my current company, straight trucks and semis, but I just got my Class A in February and not through an accredited school. I was trained by drivers where I work, and tested with a private agency. I am 56, excellent driving record, have been driving trucks off and on since I was 18.

Most places, including Roehl, want me to go through their school, then commit for a minimum one year or pay a $5,000 penalty. TMC seems willing to give me a shot if I can prove 3 months of Class A driving. Thoughts?