Comments By ThinksTooMuch

https://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss154/norseman77/summer%202010/DSC_4251-1.jpg avatar

Being young in the trucking industry can be a pain!

I'm not as young as Daniel, I'm 26 but after I shave I look like I'm 16. I get comments about my age ALL the time. I just learned to ignore them and do my job. I imagine it's much worse dealing with the comments women drivers get.

Oh and I do speak Russian. English is not my native tongue.

Swift Enclosed Auto Transport?

I was in Flushing today, in Queens, NY... and I saw a Swift Transport tractor pulling an enclosed auto transport trailer. The tractor was very clearly marked Swift and so was the trailer. First time I've ever seen that for Swift. I also saw a Knight Transportation daycab for the first time today as well! Now all I need to spot is a UFO or something and my day would be complete... lol.

Never knew Swift did this sort of hauling. Goes to show... you never know what positions a company has available.

This is not the actual thing I saw I just pulled it from the internet. But it was exactly like this.

Swift transport auto carrier

Barr Nunn

Sorry to hear that. You gave them an honest try and it just did not work out for either side. I am sure you'll find a company you are happy with soon. Good luck.

Any Crete or Shaffer Drivers Here?

Usually if you already filled out an application for a company you cannot be used as a referral by a current driver. You'd have to put the name/ID of the driver on your application.

Got a Pre-Hire from Prime Inc. Today

Ask about Prime's food grade tanker position. When I was doing my research one year ago they started at $0.42/cpm. No HazMat necessary. They also cross train you on Reefer so if there are no tanker loads you can do Reefer loads.

Prime is definitely a great company to start with. We hear nothing but good things.

Standing out or Spotlighting yourself..........

Hah. I think you're right guyjax.

Standing out or Spotlighting yourself..........

My trainer use to say that trucking is 95% common sense and 5% skill but too bad common sense isn't so common.

Driving in New York

Schneider Bulk training was in Coraopolis, PA. Right next to Pittsburgh. Was a lot of fun driving through Pittsburgh learning to deal with liquid surging in the tanker. Definitely good training climbing all those hills and dealing with those super narrow streets. I think you may be right about it being 2nd worst city to truck in Brett.

The Adventure Has Begun

Bill when you start with Crete/Shaffer send me a PM. I pass by their drop yard in Macungie every single day. It's literally across the street from the dedicated US Xpress customer I work for. Maybe we can catch each other there some time.

Good luck in school, you'll do great.

Roadcheck 2014

I had one in 2013 in Louisiana and I was Bobtailing. Took like 5 minutes, no violations, on my way. Then I had another one in Louisiana a few months later, this time pulling a hazmat tanker, took 10 minutes, no violations, on my way. Officer even commented that the inside of my truck may be cleaner than his house... lol.

Driving in New York

Lol yeah I know. Was just funny to read your post because I grew up in NYC.

Driving in New York

I grew up in Brooklyn Brett. I am highly offended by your comments in this thread! lol. DON'T go into Brooklyn? Bronx? Queens? Really... c'mon man Manhattan is just filled with the stuff you've seen in the movies. Brooklyn and Queens is where the action is at. Best food, best bars, friendly (and not-so-friendly) neighborhoods, way more exciting than Manhattan.

Driving here is horrible though. It's 2014 and we don't have flying cars or jetpacks yet... highly disappointing!

Rocky start with Barr Nunn

Cowan is a great company to work for. I get to talk to a lot of their drivers where I am now because the dedicated I am on shares warehouse space with Coca Cola and Cowan does a lot of work for Coke. Most of the drivers seem very happy, equipment is clean and well maintained. I talk to mostly the local drivers but every once in a while there is a regional or two that come thru.

Definitely take a look at Cowan, I think they usually require 2+ years of experience though.

Why Prefer Reefer?

I've never pulled reefer but maybe in the summer time you get to go inside to clean it out and it's nice and cool in there, so that's a benefit. Also with the loading/unloading wait times maybe some people see that as a benefit. They can take naps, do some movie watching, or whatever, more often than with drop/hook dry van loads. Also in reefer the miles are more consistent and there's not much of a drop in the winter as with other types of freight.

Trucker Nutrition

Pilot's and Love's also have that "kitchen sink" type thing near the coffee/drink machines. I've seen drivers washing a dish or two in those. Maybe if you wash often enough then you can do it there, or if you save up a load you take it to the shower.

I once saw a gentleman washing his FEET in the restroom sink... He was very good at keeping his balance lol.

Minimum wage and overtime. . . lol!

All this task in the news recently about minimum wage reform and overtime reform is making me laugh. Love hearing the stories about people who work an ENTIRE 50-60 hours a week and moan about not getting overtime. . .

Where's the reform for driver pay. . . ? Nowhere because we are professionals who get our job done, move the economy, and don't whine.

When not to tell the truth..

I agree with the comments so far. Apply to companies and see if they will give you a pre-hire. And if not, ask them why exactly so at least you know.

Also I would highly recommend LCCC. I graduated from their CDL program and so did Redgator. They provide fantastic training. LCTI sells themselves with the 1 on 1 aspect. . . But to be honest you learn a huge amount by watching your classmates drive.

LCCC had a long list of companies that hire their graduates. Call them, ask for the list, then apply to ask of those companies. You can also speak with the program director and ask advice on your situation.

Trucker Nutrition

I'm not a picky eater. When I was OTR I hit Walmart before I left for my 2 weeks out. I bought the huge bottled water pack, snacks like nuts, died fruit, etc.

While on the road I pretty much ate at Subway for a late lunch. I told them to pile on all the vegetables, my sandwiches were huge lol. My breakfast was usually cereal, no milk usually. I didn't eat dinner unless I saved half my Subway sandwich from earlier.

Once or twice a month I ate at Burger King or McDonald's or whatever because Subway wasn't available. Once or twice a month I would eat at a Denny's or whatever diner was on the truck stop.

I know Subway isn't the healthiest thing but I figured it's not as bad as other stuff. Plus, unless you grow your own food. . . What you buy in the grocery store is probably almost as bad as Subway. Lol.

I kept a record of my food expenses and it came to about $200-$250 per month.

High paying CPM reality?

Partly it is marketing but it is also a bending of the truth. Many companies have a sliding pay scale based on the load mileage. So if your trip is between 1000-1500 miles you get paid .25cpm but if the trip is between 300-999 miles you get paid 0.28cpm and if it is between 1-299 THEN you get paid 0.50cpm. Many companies also pay differently for loaded versus empty trailers.

A lot of drivers don't ask exactly how their pay is structured. They just take the word of the recruiter. Some of that is the recruiter's fault but some is also the driver's fault.

Roehl Flatbed Division..

Well put Bill. Nice to see a fellow philosophy major on Trucking Truth. smile.gif