Profile For Kenneth L.

Kenneth L.'s Info

4 years, 2 months ago

Kenneth L.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  3 years ago

so i have road rage

I have to agree with the other advice givers. All good info here it seems. When in a 4 wheeler, someone tailgating can be problematic. If you're on a ramp, just don't worry about it. You'll be off the ramp soon enough.

Trucks tend to tailgate cars to let the car know one of two things. One you are driving slow and you're NOT in the far right lane that isn't an exit only lane. Or you have passed me and now you are slowing down. If you wanted slow down you should have done that when you were behind me.

However, now that more and more trucks are getting electronics installed for EVERYTHING. A driving tactic change is in order. You can no longer tailgate. You simply pull into the passing lane and attempt a pass of the car that's causing the problem. The car driver just CAN'T STAND THE IDEA of being behind a truck so it then speeds up. This actually works better than tailgating. As a lot of car drivers will intentionally slow you down because they know it's getting on your nerves. When you attempt the pass, they lose control of the situation and then move on.

Posted:  3 years ago

Best way through Cincinnati 71 south to 75

I just came through Cincinnati today about around afternoon rush hour. South on I-71 and wanting to go south onto I-75.

Any experts know of the best route? I'm through it now. But following a navigator is useless unless that navigator is a human. Tunnel 71 was closed and a lot of the ramps to 71 were closed today too.

I managed to get through it but it was through a great bit of tourist section of town. You know, people everywhere on foot walking about wondering what the hell this semi is doing coming through here kind of thing. Cars parked in the right lane on skinny roads. Lot of fun I tell ya.

The construction signs just said "I-71 south closed, find alternate route". Really? You not gonna offer any help or point the way?

Went under no less than three 13-6 bridges. That was close. Managed to finally get back on 75 before the bridge. But I was having to navigate by general direction only there for a bit as the GPS kept trying to get me back on 71 north and then get back off for a turn around. Which would only put me back in the same problem.

Just curious as to what I should have done? Stay on the outer loop?

Posted:  3 years ago

Negative Drivers

It may just be me or just a coincidence... But it seems something is changing from over the last year and a half. I think the drivers are adapting a bit more to the new way of driving. I don't hear nearly as much CB trash as I used to. I don't see as much trash on the parking lots as I used to. Still some but a little bit less. I don't hear as many arguments about the usual nothing anymore (been 6 months since I've heard or seen an argument). Not even the Obama bashing that I used to hear all the time. What's happening? I haven't even heard anyone complaining about the steering wheel holders with the flip flops.

And as a matter of fact as I sit here typing this reply out sitting at a pilot in Nitro WV, there is a problem with the fuel pumps. But no cursing or out of anger talk on the radio at all. Just the occasional question with every reply being very professional (so far). And it's hot here too. No tempers or anything. Am I still asleep and dreaming or what? Did I wake up on another planet or something?

Posted:  3 years ago

Perfectly planned trip THWARTED by a FLAT TIRE !

I think you have learned something new.

Posted:  3 years ago

2017 freightliner problems

I'm sure they do have more experience than I do in general truck driving. I'd bet every one of those office managers was a driver back in their day. However, things have changed lately with the new trucks and I haven't seen any of them in any of the trucks since I've been there.

I'm just telling it from MY experience and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what works best.

Posted:  3 years ago

Just met my first ******bag trucker.....

Yeah, I think you handled it right too. Just let it roll off, the jerk will be gone by tomorrow anyway. If it were me, I'd just keep practicing, right beside his truck. Ally dock and blind side. Once parked on one side of his truck, pull out and park on the other side. Then back to the other. And take your time too. A LOT of time. Get out and look 15 times. Stand around and scratch your head and balls some. Pick your nose a bit and thump it in his direction. Grin some in his direction when you adjust your package. If that don't make him move, nothing will.

Posted:  3 years ago

2017 freightliner problems

Most of those issues are set up by the company you work for. When the truck came from Freightliner, it was probably set up right. But like Ozark, the companies think they know better than the drivers that actually have to drive them. Ozark, turns off the performace mode and the manual control mode of the transmission. They think we're too stupid to know what gear is best for a given situation. So economy automatic is the only mode they give us.

So now, we drivers have to watch the speedometer and tach to know when to trick it out of econo mode so it will give the engine the rest of the power we know it has to get up the hill. Watching the instruments like a hawk instead of the road just to keep the truck at the requested cruise speed is surely helping the safety of the operation of the truck. "Why did you run over that road hazzard?" -- "Cause I was looking at the tack and didn't see it in time."

I got news for those geeks in the office that think they know truck driving. Climbing a hill under load is only done best at max speed. Going up a hill slower does NOT save fuel cause the truck will be going up hill longer and it still has to accelerate once at the top and level instead of being at top speed once at the top and ready for coast mode.

Going down hill is another pain altogether. Jake setting two is usually not strong enough and setting three would be just right except the auto transmission want to shift down a gear and then it starts to slow you down instead of just hold your speed. And all because we have no manual control of the tranny.

OK I had my rant.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

How many years do we have left before autonomous/computerized trucks make us all unemployed?

My prediction is this,... The trucks will not be totally autonomous. It will be like cruise control is today. It's useful on the open road, but not very useful for docking or backing into parking spots or even in high traffic.

Self driving assists will be put in to let the driver relax a bit while it's on the open interstate. When traffic gets thick, the driver will most likely want to take over, just like today for cruise control.

The only problem I can see, is that more drivers will be falling asleep while the cruise-driver is turned on. Thinking they can just close their eyes just for a few moments to help relieve the burning. Next thing you know, someone is sleeping at the wheel.

A dead man switch is probably going to be needed here. Press this button every minute or an air horn inside the cab is going to sound.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Backing Practice™ 14

If I understand the course correctly, I'd nose toward the dock first, then back to my sight side to get pointed back toward the guard shack. Pull forward a bit then another sight side back into the dock. I'd rather do multiple sight sides than any blind side.

This is my solution too. Has the least chance of making an error. It may take a couple more minutes, but it looks the most elegant solution.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Backing Practice™ 13

Upon surveying the land, I'd stay left close to the stripped paint, turn right doing a Uey, then ally dock in to slot 6. Even though it's safer for my truck to get into dock 5 and puts my truck in better visibility for the other driver, it will make it much harder for the other driver to get into dock 6 once I'm in dock 5. So I pick dock 6 and let him have the easier spot. Then assist him if needed to get into dock 5 without hitting my truck. Getting back out can also be a bit more challenge because my turn will be more tight. But from the looks of the photo, it should still be possible. If it didn't look possible from being there, then door 5 would be a must.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Truck driving for the ex-IT pro

Yeah, I'm that person that's pulling it off. I was in IT doing computer programming and systems admin for about 25 years. Been programming longer than that for my personal use but you get the gist.

Been trucking now for about 15 months. It's definitely a lifestyle change. There is no day and night study on a continual basis. No long thinking processes of how you plan on getting that MRP system integrated with the organization and keep it all running without a shutdown. I'm single and have no kids or family at home. So I am at home, no matter where I am. I try to make where I am, home. Just bring all your entertainment with you as compact as possible. Put your movies and music on an external hard drive. You can get an android pretty cheap that can play the music through the truck stereo (fairly decent, but not true 'high fidelity'). Put your favorite listening tunes on it. Watch the movies from the hard drive with a good laptop. For gaming I brought my home PC desktop. I mounted the flat screen monitor above the bunk headboard and the pc on the floor strapped in. Works pretty nice.

Other forms of entertainment you may have to just buy, or bring her along if you can.

If you're into programming / development. You can still do that while on the road. You just won't have as much time for it as you're used to. Most times I don't even care to get into it anymore. For my creative juices, I just play some creative games that needs extra thought to accomplish it for burning off the need to create. KSP, Factorio, Fallout 4, those kind of games.

You can still keep in touch with your friends and cohorts through skype or other means. You still get enough time off to get face time anyway, and you'll have plenty of stories to tell them when you get in anyway. It's also nice to have at least one trucker friend to share trucker stories with as other "normal" people just look at you funny when you tell them all the great tales and adventures you have endured.

Make new friends and KEEP them. You can never have too many friends.

Oh yeah, don't try to fix the world. You gotta get that out of your mind. Being in IT, you're used to having to put all the pieces of the puzzle in the right spots to make the world operate. You gotta get out of that mindset. That is kind of tough to do when you've been into IT for such a long time. You gotta learn to let fools be fools. You will find SO MANY retards out on the highways that it makes you wonder how they even get by in life. You will need to have good driving skills and learn to read other drivers minds. You will acquire a skill to know what another driver is about to do before they do it. You will have to adapt to the trucking lifestyle or will fall to the wayside. You logical thinking process will help and hinder you. It will help you solve problems, but it also frustrate you that so many others do things so wrong.

I'm feeling better

Make sure the doors are sealed and locked. Either pad locked or bolt sealed.

And don't be telling ppl in a public forum what you are carrying. There are some bad ppl out there.

This is getting real

Well there is a bit of a difference in company sponsored school or one that you pay yourself.

I myself paid for my own school. Do I regret it? Hell no. Why? Because I was able to start out with Ozark and make 39 CPM on first day of solo. Training days made 25 CPM but that was as a team with the trainer. When trainer drove, I still made 25 CPM. Those first few weeks made some serious money, which was a much needed boost to my finances.

Do how long did I have to drive to make up the money lost? Just a rough estimate, about 14 weeks in, and I'm ahead of the game.

Bad trainers

OK, I got my password sorted again. So I decided to log back in and reply once again. Been lurking for about a year now.

I just had to reply into this thread and say that not all trainers are bad. I think I had one of the very best trainers this world has to offer.

Chris was a very aggressive driver when he drove but was the best trainer for teaching I had ever met or imagined. I've been solo for about 14 months now and upon reflection, I cannot think of one thing he told me that I would consider wrong. He was very understanding of what a student was going through and what the student was currently thinking. It's almost like he could read my mind. For instance, when I was first going down this one mountain pass on a two lane road at night, I said "I know it's 55 MPH speed limit, but I'm gonna take it a bit slower because I've never been down this road before and with so many blind curves, I don't know what around the next bend." He said, "You get an extra 10 points for that, I was waiting for you to say something like that. Being safe is the first priority."

He would also explain EVERYTHING 'just in case' I didn't know it already. It almost got annoying at times. Like explaining the short dotted lines on the road that means that lane is about to run out or is going to be an exit only lane, or how to know if you are on the interstate or a business route about to go through town. Stuff I already knew. I had only been driving cars for almost 40 years. I knew how to read a map and how to get around. But he went over everything just to make sure I knew it. And I never said a word to stop him either. I thought at the time it was him just following some criteria and was required of him to go over it.

A couple of times he made me plan the entire route using the road atlas and turned off the GPS and I drove those without any help from him or the GPS. That was a bit scary the first time. Yet I remember making trips in the car across country before there was GPS. But doing it in a truck, is a bit more scary because you are so afraid you will go down a road you should not be on or meet an overpass you cannot get under.

I did have a leg up on backing though and my trainer didn't have to give much advice on backing. As I had worked for a boat manufacturer and backed many a big boats in the water and into tight spaces in various places. Backing a simi trailer was not much a challenge other than 'can only see one side at a time' unless you're straight backing.

But now I've been out here on the road for since April of last year and 2 days ago Ozark put me into a brand new truck. Had all of 90 miles on the odometer when I got it. Plastic on the seats and floorboard. The smell of new car (or truck). The new ones are automatics though. I still miss my standard transmission though. I still try to press the clutch when coming to a stop. I still reach for the stick when starting out for the day. The standard gave finer control and finesse of the vehicle. I'm still learning the new machine though and maybe in a few weeks I'll have it down pat and know what the truck wants to do so that I can apply that for greater finesse. I have yet to pass over a single mountain with it. So if you auto drivers can give me any insight, I'm looking.

Several dead in 50-vehicle Pennsylvania pile-up

I'm at the flying J close there. You couldn't get a word in edge wise on the cb it was jammed. The weather at the time of the crash wasn't all that bad at least east of there where I was. There are more and more trucks on the road that don't have or use a cb. Very tragic.

Good weather / bad weather where you are doesn't really apply.

Last night coming out of Cincinnati on 71 I saw ahead of me a strong gust blow a 4 wheeler into a skid and slid off the road into the medium. Yet that gust of wind only occurred in about 1000 feet of road. By the the time I got into it, the wind had already died back down some.

How big of an SD card for dash cam?

I have the same dash cam. I put 32G card in mine and with 30 frames per second at 1920 x 1080 resolution, It will only record about 4.5 hours of video and sound before it loops back over. Also, I turned off the shock setting to that it would stop protecting files. Trucks ride rough, and it thinks it's in a crash all the time.

These things are on my required equipment list for driving. They can really save you from problems of proof.

Cb help please

Now my question is how do you set the squelch and rf gain?

The proper way to set the RF gain and the Squelch is to turn down the squelch so that you hear all static. Then turn down the RF gain until the static is at a lower level (but not all the way down). You can also see the drop on the meter until it is almost at the bottom of the scale. Then turn the Squelch back up slowly until the noise is squelched out. Turning just a bit further for RF blasts of various sorts.

You do this when no one in range is keyed (talking, singing, etc.). If you need voices louder, that is what volume know is for.

You also do not just set it and forget it with CB. It is one of the noisiest frequencies given to the public for public use. It will require re-adjusting as the day goes along and even as you travel to different places.

Now you can set it so that only those trucks you can see can overcome the squelch and forget it. But then you will probably miss out on some important traffic info that's a bit further down the road.

Cb help please

Now my question is how do you set the squelch and rf gain?

Please allow me to get something off my mind...

That's last year's YTD gross 2015. I started driving at the end of April.

Please allow me to get something off my mind...

Well, if it makes any statistical point, I'd share that I've been driving now since April last year. I am sitting in my forth assigned truck due to break downs. First truck quit 3 times over the same injector problems (severe loss of power). Second truck I broke a U-Joint climbing a grade to a Flying J (exit 146 off I-79) with a full load (total weight was 79840 lbs). Third truck quit on me with some ECC and ECU error codes (computer kept shutting engine off). Now in my fourth assigned truck and doing OK so far (had it all of about 4 days now).

Point is, THERE IS NO WAY, I'd buy one of these pieces of junk, with as much problems as I've seen from them so far.

The cost of sending out 3 wreckers to rescue me has to be quite expensive.

Oh yea, and just for something for you all to ponder over, ------ YTD INFORMATION ------ GROSS 36446.07

as company driver.