Comments By Sheffield Mick

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0509750001530361122-4025.jpg avatar

Swift

Hey Mick,

Which part of Canada are getting to run? I'm a Canucks living in the south, thought a truck company might find me interesting with a Canadian passport.

Hi Bryn, Swift have a Canadian division based in Canada, If you see the letter "C" before the number on the truck, that will be our Canauck friends. Mostly day cabs I might add.

I run out of Detroit up and around Toronto, with the occasional trip up to Quebec. Its great running with a team of guys because we all get to know each other and we can help each other out. If the freight is low we get to run around the Northern midwest, Eastern states.

I'm always up and down the 401 going into the Onroute places for the night. Look out for me, My truck is a T660 KW maroon/red, number 121679.

Hope to see you over there some day.

Mick

Off topic a little but I'm curios.

Hi Gary, I know you already have your answer, but I thought I would chip in because I'm also from the UK. I've been living over in the US for four years. Like you I have had to wait for my two year period to be up so that I can have a mortgage. My wife has been working at the same place for four years so we could have got the mortgage just in her name. But we thought it best for us both to be on there. I get paid by the mile and it's going to work out just fine. There is another alternative that you might be able to use......we used it when we first came over here........as my wife also had no credit living in the UK for ex amount of years. Its called a land contract. Can you get that in your state? We are buying this house we are in from the owner. We transfer to a mortgage in May of this year when my two years at Swift are up. Wish you all the best for the future.

Mick

Hauling sod

Hi Toby, I don't haul sod on a regular basis, but I do get the odd load of sod from over in Canada and have to bring it back to Michigan to deliver to the local garden centers. Always right up there on the weight......we weigh out before we leave their yard.

I've met a few guys that do nothing else but haul sod and they seem quite happy doing the job.....its a regular run for them.

Mick

Seeking school info in SE Michigan area

Hi Bob, I'm based in Marine City, MI. I ended up going to a private school which was Coast to Coast. To be honest and with hindsight, I think I should have gone down the road of company training.....but that is just mine own opinion. I've been working at Swift now for nearly two years. I'm based out of the New Boston, Detroit terminal. They do have dedicated, but that fleet is hard to get into. I run Canada which means I'm home most weekends. I've also thought about running with the automotive fleet which is home most or every other weekend.........which is what I believe you might be looking for. I wish you luck with what ever you choose. Without doubt this has been the most informative and well balanced website there is on trucking. It started me in this business and is still my main go to for all the information I need.

Take care and best of luck

Mick

Swift

I'm coming up to my second year with Swift.......I have my days.....but then, don't we all. There not a bad company and there is plenty of scope to move into other area's of hauling freight......I'm running Canada at the moment, so I get most weekends at home. Works fine for me.

Have you ever wondered?

I know in my picture I have a white truck.....must update it......my truck is a KW T660, Swift, number 121679 and the color is Maroon or Red if you prefer. I've met Logan and would love to meet up with him again and anybody or everybody off the TT website.

Daylight Saving Time

What chickens are you getting Brett? we got Rhode Island Reds......Thanks for the heads up Anchorman

Wanted to share my truck driving accomplishment

Congratulations Redgator....awesome dancing-dog.gif

Well, that was short & sweet . . .

Always enjoyed your posts Joppa......prayers said for your speedy recovery my friend.

My Fancy Swift Truck

Nice truck Errol, I too have a cast off KW T660.....in red......and I also work for Swift.....but my KW T660 is the Aerocab....no fridge , (I now have fridge envy). Do love my KW though. I trained in one and like you got lucky. I also had the same problem with the armrest on the seats, glad we got that one figured out. And your right, Swift show the year of the truck within the number on the truck. Mine is a 2012, as in 121679, (380000 miles).

good-luck.gif

Can anyone tell me Swift transportation?

Hi Sterling....and welcome to the site. I've worked for Swift now for nearly two years. Yes I do have days when I get frustrated and confused with the way things are handled at Swift.....its a big company with lots going on.......its going to happen. With a company this size there are lots of different divisions which means you can have choices as to what you want to end up hauling. (Flatbed, Reefer, Dry Van, Dedicated, Exhibition, Auto Division..... and then some). I'm currently with the Canada division which means I'm home every weekend......and I still get plenty of miles during the week. It suits me just fine. Best of luck with it all my friend.

Max age to start a trucking career?

Hi Steven.....and welcome.......I've put this answer in other posts.......but I can honestly say I did my training at Swift with a guy that was 82 years old and had never driven a truck in his life. He was fit enough to go OTR (over the road) and as far as I know is still working two years later. I wish you the best of luck sir......and just as a foot note....I'm 57.

I am to old to become a truck driver.

I trained with a guy that had only just started his truck driving career at 82......can anybody beat that LOL

International driver

It doesn't show up on my last post.......I took two weeks for me to take and pass my CDL driving test over here.

Mick

International driver

Hi Jeremy, I'm from the UK....I've been living over here for four years now and driving the rigs for nearly two years. I suppose it goes without saying that you need a green card. But I also needed to drive with a regular license for a year........probably to prove I could drive on the same side of the road as everybody else ;-)

They are desperate for truck drivers in the States so I would imagine that you would have no trouble getting into a company driving school. I went private so that I could pick and choose which company I ended up with. It took me took weeks to pass my CDL and then another six weeks out with a mentor......you have experience so you might get your training done allot quicker. Once you get through the hoops....medical, etc....you should be fine.......Like I said, America needs truck drivers....if anything you would be welcome with open arms by most companies.....best of luck.

Mick

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas Logan.....happy New Year....and safe travels for the future my friend.

Mick

Extremely bummed out...

If anybody deserves to get into what they want to do within this industry Daniel, its you my friend.....bless you for your contributions on this site. God does have a plan for you....don't give up.......just go with the words of the experienced guys on here. Keep trying until they let you in.

Driving Canada, USA

Thanks for the feed back guys.....I'm thinking I will stay where I am. I can get bored doing the same customer runs all the time....but its like Brett said, the times for Chrysler are tighter and the stress would be allot more on you the driver to get it there. The've also offered an extra $140 per load.....which is nice, but makes me think that they might not be telling you everything. I asked about switching back to Canada, but I've been told you might have to wait until your place was filled on the Chrysler team, (as its a dedicated account). I think I've made the right choice for me....for now. Thanks again.

Driving Canada, USA

I like to read and learn off Trucking Truth rather than post. Let me get that one out of the way first. I drive for Swift Transportation out of Detroit and run with a dedicated team going to Canada and back. We mostly run in and around Toronto with the occasional call going up to Quebec. We get $25 every time we cross the border (one way) which is needed if they decide to do a search on your truck (takes a couple of hours off your clock). I'm roughly doing between 2,000 and 2,800 a week on miles and with bonus it makes up for a good little pay packet at the end of the week. I also get home every weekend which is why I took this job in the first place. I did my time on OTR and this is not bad at paying the bills. Down side to this is that I liked covering the 48 states and seeing America (I'm and ex-pat UK)

Now for my reason to write this.....I have another dedicated job being offered......working for the Swift Chrysler account.....all loads coming out of the Chrysler factories in Canada.....and taking them all directly to Laredo TX. I'm talking British Columbia, which would take me down the West Coast, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec. Plenty of mile here and we are being offered new trucks and trailers.....you keep the same trailer....which would mean all live loads. Auto parts going to Laredo every time.

My dilemma being........do I keep with the steady job I have now....or go back OTR which is what this job essentially is. My wife is with me either way. Any suggestions as to which way you would go if it where you are more than welcome. Very indecisive at the moment. Thanks guys.

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Pre-Trip Inspection - My Way! A must see!

Thank you Daniel.....the attention is in the detail. I've only been driving now for around 15 months, but I forget those little details and that might just cost me. Cheers