Profile For Bill S.

Bill S.'s Info

3 years, 9 months ago

Bill S.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Are employment contracts the real deal?

Errol,

I was just confused cause the first sentence said I just finished CDL school. If Erin had said I just went through company training, that would have made more sense. Thank you for clarifying.

Bill

Merry Christmas all

Merry Christmas to you as well.

Are employment contracts the real deal?

Sounds like Erin did company sponsored training more than going to CDL school. Only Jrayl wanted a 10 month contract. .33 cents per mile if you did not sign the ten month contract and .36 cents per mile if you signed the contract. If you left before the contract was up you just had to pay back the .3 cents per mile for every mile driven. Nobody else talked about contracts. Or did I miss something?

Great Lakes Truck Driving School diary

Due to some bad weather delays I should graduate this week. I take my road test Wed or Thurs. The lady that does the scheduling could not remember off the top of her head so I will find out on Tuesday.

I honestly didn't learn much in the classroom part of the course. The refresher would have been easier to deal with if we weren't in class for ten hours daily. They are correcting this after the new year. They are going to 8 hour days in the classroom. It will be 8 hour days in the yard. That will be difficult when they have large classes like we have now. It's rough getting truck time with ten hour days.

So far I have 11 pre hires. It is a long process of narrowing down the companies.

The instructors are very helpful. They tell all students not to jump into owner operator status for at least one year. They also say to stick with your first company for a year.

The job placement guy told me to stay away from Prime, Swift, and Boyd Brothers because I have offers from better companies. I don't know why he says that. From what I have learned here Prime and Swift are great companies to work for. I have job offers from TMC, Valley transport, and US Express . Others have pre hired me as well. He cited these companies and Schneider as better choices.

I am still considering Prime. I heard good things about them before I heard of TT. At my last job, I worked with a former Marine and his dad worked for them for 20 years or so. When I first started talking about quitting to become a truck driver, he told me about Prime.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Bill

I have so much to learn. I know I could Google but would rather it hear it from one of you guys....

Make sure you ask if it's an actual weekend off or just a 34 hour reset.

And so it begins

Good luck.

I am halfway done with my CDL class. If you studied the high road series, you likely will not learn much. At least I didn't. But I did study for at least a year before I went to CDL school.

Cold weather gear for flatbed drivers

Ken,

Thanks for the tip. I guess I will need to grab more gloves. Are some better than others? For tarping and such.

Cold weather gear for flatbed drivers

Pat,

I don't want to waste time getting in and out of the truck just to warm up. That's why I asked this question.

Can you be more specific on the gloves please? I figure I will need 2-3 pair so that they have time to drive. I know I will need separate gloves for fueling.

Thanks.

Anyone have a Nuwave PIC or oven or both on their truck?

You are correct. Some companies have the 1500 watt inverters according to the recruiters that have come to the school. Others have APUs but not sure if they are rated to power them. Thanks for the heads up, TM.

TRAINING PAY

Gotcha. The recruiter said that you can request more time. I am sure most companies will let you stay with a trainer until you are ready. However, most people don't want to stay with a trainer longer than necessary cause they make less money. May Trucking's recruiter said that you can go solo in 4 days if you so choose. Their training is also a couple weeks long but they don't force anyone to stay with a trainer if they are competent and confident. I personally don't think 4 days would be enough. Especially this time of year. I chose this time of year so I would not have to figure out how to handle the winter on my own. But that's just me.

Anyone have a Nuwave PIC or oven or both on their truck?

I have both. I love them. Just curious if they are worth bringing on the truck. I am not a fan of having unnecessary items.

Thanks.

Bill

TRAINING PAY

The recruiter for Schneider was recently at my school. (Tues) Training for OTR van is 18 days in Indiana. $80 day plus they put you up in an extended stay hotel and pay for 2 meals per day. Tanker is the same except it's in Pennsylvania and lasts 27 days. They also have a refer division but not in my area so he didn't discuss it. Not sure where you got the week of training from.

Cold weather gear for flatbed drivers

Sue and Pat,

Thank you for the quick replies. I hate being cold and that's why I initially decided against flatbed. However, the more I think about it, the more I realize it is probably what suits me best.

Cold weather gear for flatbed drivers

I am just curious what cold weather gear is most recommended for flatbed drivers. I originally ruled flatbed out because I don't want to mess around in the cold. However, I have decided that is a foolish reason to rule something out without trying it first.

I did a search but didn't see anything specific. Maybe I am just over thinking it.

Thanks for any information.

Bill

School or pick a company? And how do I choose between company driver or owner operator?

Old School,

Thanks for your input. However, I only posted the information cause I said I would. According to the brochure, that truck had 800k miles.

I don't want to team or be a trainer so I likely would not qualify for the program anyway.

Thanks again for all the great replies.

Rick,

From the Drive this truck pamphlet:

Robert has worked for Drive This Truck for 3.5 years. He took over the truck after it was 6 months old and has been running teams or training students. This allowed Drive This Truck to make a profit while paying off the truck. Drive This Truck can then make the investment in their employees and their trucks allowing us to take it to a whole new level. You don't just earn a cash bonus for longevity, we actually sign over the title of the truck you have earned during this 4 year term at no cost to the driver.

They are partnered with Prime.

Great Lakes Truck Driving School diary

Garner trucking is who I forgot.

Great Lakes Truck Driving School diary

Day 3 started at 730. The recruiter for U.S. Express was there. She was supposed to be there at 8. However, the instructor let her start at 745 as she was waiting for the late students. She said we should be filling out applications for every company even though we are only on day 3. I disagree. I am not looking for flatbed or tanker. I did get my hazmat and tanker endorsements. Still not interested at this time, but I got them in case I want to down the road. I did fill out the application for U.S. Express. She left at 845. We took a ten minute break.

At 9 was more videos and tests. At ten we had another recruiter. I forget who came as I left the packet on my desk. I will update when I get it. They are based out of Findley Ohio.

At 11 we watched a more videos and took more tests. At 1230 we went home.

So far I have not learned much. Most everything we have covered is in THR training modules. I can't wait to get into the yard on Friday to start going over pre trip and in cab. However, we go back in the classroom the following Monday.

Great Lakes Truck Driving School diary

Day 2 started at 730. The instructor just told us some of his experiences as a driver to start as Schneider was coming in at 8. After the recruiter left we had a short break. ComCar was supposed to show up at 9 but cancelled. However, nobody notified the instructor.

At 9 we watched several videos and took several tests. We take lots of tests. Some are after videos and some are after power point lectures by the instructor. I like the fact that we take tests often. I wish they would include questions from previous sections like THR does. I am very good at retaining information but not everyone in class is.

At 1230 we went to lunch. Class resumed at 1. More videos and tests. At 230 we had another recruiter. May trucking. These recruiters have not brought any power points or anything. The recruiter from May probably should have. She confused some of the students. Not entirely her fault. They offer new drivers a guaranteed $735 per week for 90 days. However, that is based on 2100 mpw. According to her, their drivers average 2800 mpw. They bank all miles over 2100 and payout after 12 weeks plus give you the $735 for the week. Most of the students forgot to include the overage pay after 90 days. Maybe these companies should adopt a critical review process for students to fill out after their presentations. Got used to doing them in the Marines. I don't normally post stuff that the recruiters say, however, I wanted to share what caused the confusion. After the recruiter left, there was a huge discussion about what she discussed.

4 pm and we watched a short video and took another test. 430 we signed out and went home.

Would there be any hard feelings?

Now that is funny.