Comments By Uriah (FlyingTanker)

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/uphill-climb.jpg avatar

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Central Tech Drumright OK

Thank you toonces :) I will be at the Driller's Inn Tuesday afternoon, and Wednesday through Friday, i will be in the permit prep class, if you happen to see me, like around lunch time or something, I am 6'2" blonde man with very blue eyes and I generally wear a long sleeved button up shirt and black jeans.... Just say hi, I might not look approachable when i am concentrating but I don't bite

Flatbed Variety

What company do you work for Pat? Also can you post a picture of your rig? smile.gif

Here is a beam that we hauled on Monday... IMG_20160606_192056783.jpg

Then I spent the rest of the week hauling shorter beams and have 2 more to haul next week. IMG_20160610_130929284.jpg

Can anyone tell me why I have it so far forward when I still have a foot at the back of the trailer? Not a trick question, it is a teaching moment.

Introduction & Starting CDL School

Thank you, I look forward to your reply and hopefully meeting you.

Hi Uriah,

We probably will run into each other! I officially started on 6/1 and I believe my graduation date is 7/1. I'll elaborate more this weekend when I have more time, but it's a great school. Newer trucks, great range, 2 students per truck, very experienced and patient instructors. But, be prepared to put in a lot of work. Because it's PTDI, there is independent instruction required. So in addition to trying to memorize your pre-trip and other processes, you have a couple of chapters of reading and homework questions each night. We began straight backing yesterday and I still don't have it completely down. Everyone else seemed to pick it up much quicker. Standing out in the blazing hot sun all day doesn't help :) I got sunburned even though I put on sunscreen. And of course since I'm the only girl out of 16, everyone pays a lot of attention to how I'm doing :( But honestly, I feel very lucky to be learning at this school. The range seriously looks like a golf course! There is probably an aerial shot of it on their website if you want to check it out. I'll post more this weekend!

Hi Toonces, another Okie here. I will be starting with Central Tech on June 22, maybe we will run into each other? You graduate on the 27th right? How are classes going? What do you think of Central Tech so far?

Introduction & Starting CDL School

Funding private school

I want to think everyone on trucking truth for all the great info on the site, and Bret for the High Road Training. I feel because of this I will be very prepared for my tests. When I actually start school I will start a thread in the diaries section and try to document each day for anyone interested in how Central Tech works :)

Well guys, it is a go. I have applied for Central Tech truck driving school. I am hoping to start school either June 15 or June 29, whenever I can get the state grant approved by. I am very excited. Now it is time to do some more over prep for the CDL tests and the school

smile.gif

Funding private school

smile.gif

Prepping for the Road

My Android phone does that too. I can have as many timezone clocks as I want.

I hadn't worn a watch for a few years but I got one before going out too! It's one of the best things to have out here since it doesn't change time zones like your phone does.

The iPhone's "Clock" app lets you setup any number of different clocks and see them on one screen.

McElroy Truck Lines

No, unfortunately I had to move my date out to June 15.

Uriah, you still planning on attending Central Tech the 18th? I'm scheduled for the fourth.

McElroy Truck Lines

Hey Parrothead or any of the other McElroy guys, we have one somewhat negative review, how has it been going for y'all at McElroy? I'd really like to know, because even though I am leaning towards TMC they are still on my list, thanks :)

A rookie truck driver's first week

I believe that Ardmore has a public transport service, Madill does and it is much smaller. You should check into that, it would only be a few miles seeing Walmart is just I the old part of town.

Maverick Orientation date set!

Congratulations, I look forward to your updates smile.gif

Agility Test Kinda worried! Advice?

Great news :) hopefully you can get in soon. I have been out of work so I qualify for the state grant, that helps. I know for Central Tech they offer a loan through Wells Fargo that seems pretty good. Something like no payment or interest for six months, and pretty reasonable interest after that.

Agility Test Kinda worried! Advice?

I am opting for the private school option because of that, if I get my CDL from a private school I can then work for whichever company I want :)

Lol yea a buddy of mine applied as well, was hoping to see you guys in little rock. It's worth the wait in my opinion but there are plenty of good companies out there where you get a good start in your career.

He applied for student or rookie driver? If student , he is also in the waiting list like me? Yeah! Hoping to meet one of the member here it'd be cool!! Theres plenty but not all actually hire in my state. Like TMC, they dont hire student from Oklahoma :-/ KLLM also, you need to be a resident of TX! So Idk I gues I just have to hold on..

Should I disclose non-reported accident?

Okay, that is what I figured, just wanted a second opinion. Three accidents in one week? Eeeek! Yeah, I would think her husband wouldn't be very happy LOL. Thing that scared me the most about the accident I mention was the first thing the woman said when she got out of her vehicle, " I didn't see that little trailer and ran right into it." I was thinking, "if you didn't see my "little" trailer what would have happened if my littler car was in that space instead?" LOL. My car is tiny and the trailer is quite a bit larger than it. I really don't know how she missed it, she crossed three parking spaces to hit it.

Should I disclose non-reported accident?

I always say that I've never been in an accident, and I just realized that that is not entirely true. Last year while I was sitting in a parking lot in my car which was off btw, a woman side swiped my trailer and scraped and dented the entire side of her brand new SUV on it. My trailer came away with a little bit of her SUV's paint and that was it. We talked afterword, she did not want to call the cops, was afraid that her hubby was going to kill her, so we didn't report it and went on our way... My question is, since this was not reported should I just act like it never happened on applications, or should I write it in?

A BIG thanks to everyone!!

Congrats :) So how hard is the Oklahoma tests? Are they pretty similar to the High Road Course? I am very worried that I am going to fail them lol. I have been doing the High Road Course like crazy and I did pass Central Tech's practice tests, but my scores were kinda low for my tastes...

Heading off to TMC orientation

I am also looking into TMC, please keep us updated on your progress :) So by no idle a/c that means when the truck is off you still have a/c?

Possible Solution to Driver Shortage?

I am 25 been driving since I was 16, I have no accidents citations or anything, so it is possible for us youngsters to drive safe. But hey I live in Oklahoma, young drivers are nuts here so I agree dropping the age would probably be a bad idea. We just had a kid killed last week in a single vehicle speeding accident right here in my county. The driver was 19.

My opinion is that you shouldn't be able to get a CDL if your under the age of 25. Teens and young adults more likely to involved in car accidents.

Although I would've disagreed with this when I was younger, I have to say (from personal experience) your correct. Between the ages of (16-24) I racked up 12 traffic citations & 2 fender benders.

I haven't (knock on wood) had so much as a scratch or single ticket since. I'll be 33 next month.

Cdl permit

Call Central Tech and ask, Janet would know for sure. I think she might have even explained it to me when I called, I just don't remember, lol. BTW, Central Tech adds one week to the course if you don't show up with any kind of permit. I think Oklahoma has two different types of permits right now or something, not sure, but the school prefers you show up with a particular kind hence the incentive. Just ask them, they are very helpful over the phone smile.gif

NEED HELP PASSING MY PASSENGER ENDORSEMENT TEST

Take the High Road course sections on bus and passenger if you haven't already. That should help. good-luck.gif