Profile For PvtJoker

PvtJoker's Info

Tullahoma, TN

Preparing For School

4 years, 4 months ago

PvtJoker's Bio

Independent, beekeeper, gearhead, PC technician (helpdesk, tech support), novice web admin, smartphone repair tech, novice bassist, licensed HAM radio operator (technician class), amateur electronics tech...

I like to say that I'm a jack of all trades, master of none. I like to learn how things work down to the screw or bolt. Before I got my first car, I had a 1970 Honda SL100 dirt bike. It was my grandfather's bike that my dad pulled out of storage. The thing didn't run a lick, and he told me to start by cleaning the carburetor. Once the carb was clean, the points gapped, and timing set, the bike ran like a champ. From then on, I always loved anything with wheels and an internal combustion engine. Hell, one year for Christmas I even asked for an overhaul kit for the 302 that was in my 1979 Ford F100.

When I worked as an EMT in Huntsville, AL, I found driving the ambulance the most fun (obviously). Now that I've been out of EMS for 13 years and out of tech support for 4yrs, I really want to try my hand at driving big boys' toys!

So here I am!

Probably failed DOT drug screen in Sept. 2015

Thanks, Rick. I was never contacted by the MRO.

I requested a DAC report from HireRight almost 2 weeks ago. Just been busy with helping my parents to check in on that.

As for the "glossed over" careless driving, it doesn't show up on my 10-year driving record, so I didn't think it was an issue.

Now my mom is recovering from a hip replacement, so I'll have to wait until the end of May to start applying.

No more smoke for me!

Probably failed DOT drug screen in Sept. 2015

I love how the thread took its own turn down the wrong road and no one answered one of my questions:

If a DOT drug screen (and/or pre-employment screen) is failed, is there a required time frame for testing again? I'm not asking how long the drug takes to leave my system - I'm asking when can I start applying for driving jobs again if I failed a drug screen 8 months ago?

Probably failed DOT drug screen in Sept. 2015

I'm not worried about anything in my background. Never been arrested; the worst I've gotten was a careless driving ticket that was dropped.

I'm just going to do a reset and start applying again as if I never applied to any carrier, except when asked.

Thanks for the info guys and gals!

Probably failed DOT drug screen in Sept. 2015

According to my research, it should leave your system to the point of being undetectable within a few weeks. So if you were off it cold turkey for 2 months straight prior to the drug test, you should be fine. Just don't start up again in the meanwhile and you ought to be fine.

Personally I think this sort of thing ought to be regulated the way alcohol is regulated, both by the government and by private companies, but the "war on drugs" mixed with the "stoner culture" pretty much guarantees it will probably be a good century before that happens. And even if it were regulated the way alcohol is regulated, the way alcohol is regulated is "no drinks for CMV drivers in the truck" so practically teetotaling anyway.

Just my two cents. Carry on!

Agreed. With ignorant and hard-headed politicians like Jeff Sessions - who said that only bad people smoke pot - it's going to be another generation before any regulation other than pure prohibition will be passed.

Anywho, I've ordered a free DAC report, and I'll call the trucking company as soon as I get a chance.

How to become a truck driver in the USA?

Welcome, Emre! Excellent English, by the way.

While I can't help too much with the logistics of entering the US, I'll try my best with other topics.

Getting back in the driving job search.

I started looking into truck driving back in the summer of 2015. I applied to almost all of the companies that offer paid CDL training. PAM and SRT expressed interest, but my own interest dwindled. Since then, I've been doing computer work for a small medical clinic that my mom used to own. (IT/helpdesk/tech support is my former line of work.) Then I flipped burgers at a Sonic Drive-In for about 3 weeks. My dad is retired and my mom is looking to retire in 4 years and move to Mississippi.

While I think it would be exciting to move to MS, there are some drawbacks. So I'm looking into CDL schools again - mainly paid CDL training. I don't mind entering a 12-month or so agreement for the experience. I would even yard-dog for a little while just the get practice backing trailers. Even OTR with or without a partner would be fine by me. Never in my life have I travelled outside the South, except for a flight to Vegas and back, that I can remember.

I am somewhat of a lone wolf. I grew up just north of Huntsville, AL, but I've moved back and forth between Nashville and Tullahoma for the past 13 years that I don't have many real friends (the kind that one would call true friends) and none where I live now. The only attachment I have is my 100lb yellow lab, Marley.

I can't remember exactly why I started this post. I'm just anxious to get driving! I guess I'm just looking to chat with like-minded drivers and "student drivers". :-)

Probably failed DOT drug screen in Sept. 2015

I really do appreciate the comments, everyone!

Probably failed DOT drug screen in Sept. 2015

I didn't know that a DAC was covered under the FCRA. Just filled out the request with HireRight. Thanks for the tip, Rick!

Probably failed DOT drug screen in Sept. 2015

BTW, thank you, Errol for the info. Very much appreciated!

Probably failed DOT drug screen in Sept. 2015

Is there a time frame for when/if I can retest?

Probably failed DOT drug screen in Sept. 2015

I did call the recruiter about a week after the screening, but they said something to the effect that it was being held up in another department. I never called back after that, feeling embarrassed if THC was found.

I've read these forums since last Summer, so I know how people can sometimes get flamed for even mentioning cannabis. I want to make it clear: when I have a job that I want to keep, I never smoke bud.

What about FMCSA records? If I popped positive for THC, will they keep a record of it? If so, is there some way I can get that record?

Probably failed DOT drug screen in Sept. 2015

There are no excuses and I don't care what people who have never smoked cannabis think about the drug. I'm looking for cold hard facts.

I smoked a little but over the summer of 2015, then quit for a full 2 months. When I applied to a trucking company, they sent me out for a DOT physical and drug screen. When it was all over, I had (still have) a 2-year medical card but never received a call back from the company. While I'm not exactly sure if my UA tested positive for THC, I feel that is the reason the company never called me back.

My question is - Is there some time frame that one must wait before they can qualify for a second attempt at DOT screening?

DOT Drug Testing: Urinalysis or Hair Follicle?

These companies do both tests:

Knight

CR England

Roehl

JB Hunt

WEL Companies

*Schneider

Hair follicle test only:

Prime Inc

Urinalysis only:

Navajo

* PAM

* Central Refrigerated

I just got a document from Con-way outlining their training and it noted that they take a 1/4" hair sample for their test. They also do UA.

Wifi for the truck

I just updated the plan on my Verizon phone, and it now says that the hotspot feature is included in the data plan. embarrassed.gif

Pet Policies In Trucking Companies

I did sneak a peek at Petloader. It looks like a great concept. Let's just hope you can find one tall enough to get Fargo close enough so he can hop in on his own.

good-luck.gif

Pet Policies In Trucking Companies

Best of luck fighting off those heart worms!

Thanks. It's going to be a tough road.

I've somewhat compiled a list of the pet-friendly companies that offer their own training program:

- Celadon Trucking - Con-Way Truckload (pays 0.01cpm less when pet rides & requires deposit) - Earl L Henderson Trucking - Pam Transport - Prime - Southern Ref. Transport

There may be more that I didn't include in my personal list.

Pet Policies In Trucking Companies

I'm sort of in the same boat - single, no girlfriend, no kids. I also have a Lab. He's bit on the plus side - 100-110lbs. Unfortunately, when I returned from vacation last week and picked Marley up from boarding, the vet informed me that he has heartworms. The treatment will take 8+ months, much of that time being spent at home on restricted exercise, and will cost roughly $1100. Before this came to light, I was researching pet policies and found this:

Pet-Friendly Trucking Companies

While the site doesn't outline the policy for each company, they at least provide a much-needed list.

Now the major concern for anyone with a relatively large dog is getting said dog in and out of a tractor cab. When I say "relatively large", I'm talking about any pet that you are uncomfortable lifting as high as your shoulders. Most O/O's will build steps or a ramp for the dog to use and store it (not the dog) on the catwalk. Otherwise, you'll be carrying your dog in and out of the truck.