Profile For Adam F.

Adam F.'s Info

Carbondale, IL

Considering A Career

3 years, 2 months ago

Adam F.'s Bio

I'm a 52 year old recent retiree from the IT industry considering a career in trucking. There are two community colleges near me that offer CDL training (Rend Lake College would be my preference). There are some trucking companies near me, but no major terminal for the big trucking companies. If you are reading this, live near me, and have found success in trucking in the southern Illinois area, send me a PM.

Adam F.'s Photo Gallery

Making the Sleeper Cozy Like your Home

Be sure to lease the truck you want to keep. Also make sure you have a business mind. Leasing is a business venture.

Downshifting

Check out these shifting videos. They are really good.

Shifting Part 1
Shifting Part 2
Shifting Part 3

Any women gone through Prime training?

Miss Red:

Here's a good video from Allie Knight...

Allie Replies - Sharing a Truck with a Trainer

High road training

I'm from Illinois, and my Prime recruiter told me NOT to get my permit in IL and wait and test for it in Missouri. He said IL permit will not transfer over to MO. So I plan to study the High Road program all the way up until I ship out.

Any women gone through Prime training?

Another YouTube guy Indiana Jack I think his name is. He is real fun to watch and amazingly calm in bad situations that pop up.

IndianaJack makes trucking look deceptively easy. Even when he's upset he seems calm. He's definitely my favorite of the YouTube truckers.

Attending CDL school in May at 45 yrs old

Hey, Bob, I'm 52 and plan on going to Prime this spring. Single, all kids raised, retired, and looking to open that new chapter in my life, too. Scary and exciting at this age, but we have maturity on our side.

Prime

Was he accepted and immediately passed out at the keyboard?

Any women gone through Prime training?

As a man looking to go to Prime this spring, even I'm racked with anxiety about having to share a hotel room and truck cab with someone. And as far as getting into fist fights, that would be immediate dismissal at any company. My plan is to keep my head down, follow orders, don't speak unless spoken to, stay alert, listen to my trainer, suck it up, and get along as best I can until the final prize...my own truck. That's the goal. Just keep that in mind at all times.

Trucker diet need help

Wow, I would have at least put some sardines on those saltine crackers. You didn't even eat an apple or an orange? Gotta get some fruit or juice for some vitamin C or you'll get scurvy.

IS IT EVER GONA HAPPEN?

Hmmm....Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody?? "Mama....just killed a man..." I mean if we're talkin' felonies, ya picked the right record, lol.

Trucker diet need help

As far as protein goes, fish is probably the healthiest you could eat with salmon being the king. Salmon (especially wild salmon) is packed with quality protein, healthy fats, and vitamins. Goto Walmart and get some pre-washed lettuce, pita bread pockets, packets of salmon, condiments (like horseradish, mustard, etc), and you've just made the healthiest sandwich possible.

Too many Dans!!!

My Prime recruiter's name is Dan. My best friend's name is Dan. There's a bunch of Dan's on TT. My roommate at training will probably be named Dan, lol.

I gotta get my blood pressure down

Here's some basic guidelines:

- Eat eggs, salmon, lean steak, and skinless chicken breast.

- Use olive oil instead of butter or margarine.

- Don't eat fried foods or fast food.

- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, but stay away from potatoes, corn, and other starchy veges.

- Eat good carbs like oats, barley, brown or basmati rice, and whole wheat.

- Use spices and herbs instead of salt. Add them to rice in a rice cooker, it's fantastic.

- Drink plenty of water.

- Eliminate alcoholic beverages.

- Spread your meals out and don't have too much food in any one meal.

- Exercise but don't overdo it.

- Get plenty of rest.

I gotta get my blood pressure down

I follow the Blood Type Diet and one time the nurse asked me "Is your blood pressure always this low?" Look for either Eat Right 4 Your Type or Live Right 4 Your Type at your local library. If they don't have it, they can probably get it from another library in your state.

Filled out Prime application online - Recruiter emailed back in just 2 days!

Got a phone call from a Prime recruiter at 7:30am! He apologized for calling so early, he didn't realize the time zone difference. I kept the phone by my bed just in case. So I had to talk to him straight out of waking up with no coffee, fun fun, lol.

They are definitely interested in me. They want to start me at the end of January, but I told him I wasn't ready yet. I have an appt at my eye dr to get new glasses and prescription sunglasses in early Feb. My current glasses are over 3 years old. And I think this is important to have before going OTR.

I told him I submitted the application this far in advance because I wasn't sure what place in line I'd be in for class. So, it looks like they are only about a month behind. I told him I was interested it early spring, around March or April. He said 'no problem' and to just resubmit my application around then and give him a call.

He also said not to get my CDL permit in IL ahead of orientation. To wait and get it in MO instead, because it won't transfer over. So, I'll just study the heck of the High Road program right before orientation and I should be good to go.

I got a really clean record so I guess that's in my favor, even though by spring I'll be unemployed for over a year. Plus I was really loyal to my former employer, as I stayed with them for 30 years, so they are probably hoping I'll hire on and stay with them forever, lol. We'll see how that pans out. Prime seems like a good quality company.

Things should get really interesting come springtime.

Speaking About Eating...Anybody Use Long Shelf-life Meals?

Not a trucker yet, but I've already been thinking about what I'll stock in my truck:

Natural Peanut butter & organic jelly Fresh sliced deli meat (mostly turkey) and cheeses Small cans of sardines, salmon, and tuna Sliced bread, english muffins, and bagels Crackers Mustard and horseradish Avocados Bags of lettuce Fresh cut/washed celery & carrots Fruits, both dried and fresh Applesauce & Pudding cups (just a few) Yogurt Granola & Protein Bars Nuts/Seeds A few microwavable meals, but only healthy ones Tea & Coffee one-serving bags Juices Water

I don't plan to cook anything in the truck because I don't want to make or clean up any mess. No stews in a crockpot or any of that mess. I'll get a toaster and possibly a toaster oven. I won't microwave too many frozen meals or make anything from a can (like soup) because I think most of that pre-made stuff is crap with gobs of additives. I'll heat up water for tea and coffee.

I'm really gonna miss making homemade stir-fry, where I deep fry chunks of tofu breaded with brown rice flour. Hopefully I can find a nice Chinese place here and there. I wouldn't dare make something like that in a truck. Good grief, the mess to have to clean up!

If I'm at a truckstop where there is a nice restaurant, I'll most certainly have a nice meal there, otherwise I'll stick with my store-bought "snack-able" somewhat healthy food.

Filled out Prime application online - Recruiter emailed back in just 2 days!

Hey everyone...

I was kinda bored on a late Friday night watching more YouTube truck driving videos. Decided on a lark to fill out the online Prime application just to test the waters. This is my first foray into formally applying to a school.

Lo and behold I got an email today around 11am to call a recruiter!

Stupid me, I don't have a smartphone, so I wasn't alerted about the email. Just now logged onto my email for something else and just now noticed the email 6 hours later.

So, I called the recruiter and he wasn't there, so I left a message apologizing about not calling earlier, and left my name and cell phone number.

I hope this pans out as I'm very interested in Prime as a school and a company.

Crossing my fingers that this email back from them so soon is that they are interested in me. That would be great.

Adam

I'm 52, retired for about a year, and interested in trucking

Hey Adam, I was in middle school when you were born. I started my trucking career a year ago now. I'm almost 64-1/2.

Welcome to the trucking world, and welcome to Trucking Truth.

Sure you can look into companies with local offices/ terminals, but with your Carbondale location almost any regional or national carrier can easily get you your home time.

So don't limit yourself just for that consideration.

Errol,

Wow, so happy you replied. I've been here for a few months and every time I see one of your posts I go "Hey, another post by Errol!" You are one of my fav's on here. Thanks for the word of encouragement.

I've been off doing the retirement thing for about a year, and my brain is going soft, so I really need to get back out there and do something, but going back to an office ain't going to be it.

Thanks, Errol, for having my back. There's a part of me that keeps saying "Man, why do you wanna do this? You can't hack trucking. You ain't built for this. You're an office wimp."

And then there's a part that says "Dude, you are a big strong guy, yeah a little old, but you can do this. Think of all the adventures you'll have. Yeah, you'll run into a lot of headaches and a-holes, but you ran into the same thing at the office." And, Errol, every time I see your posts, I say "Adam, if Errol, a teacher at his age could quit teaching and be a truck driver, so can you."

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks, Errol, for stopping by. Appreciate the encouragement.

Adam

I'm 52, retired for about a year, and interested in trucking

Hi, G-Town, thanks for the reply. I did ask that question. She said that the instructor would know more about recruiters and companies. (They have 2 instructors, and it's 4 students per instructor.) Plus, I wasn't really talking to the school coordinator. I might call back and talk to that person tomorrow.

Since I'm from southern Illinois and would like to stay in the area (I grew up here, my family is here), I'm somewhat limited to companies. My son drove for Pepsi in Marion IL and he hated it, told me so many horror stories, so I'm going to avoid them. There is Beelman in Marion IL and they run ads constantly looking for recent CDL grads. I haven't seen any bad reviews on them. I've driven by their terminal, it's fenced, and the trucks look sharp and shiny.

At some point (probably tomorrow), I'm going to call Beelman to get the low down on the specifics (CPM, etc.). She mentioned Schneider. But, big companies like them, and Swift, Werner, etc. I highly doubt have terminals in this area, and where I live currently, I couldn't park a tractor (it's a trailer park with really strict rules, but I'll probably move anyway).

I feel really pumped, just made a great meal, and am glad I finally pulled the trigger on reaching out to the school. I even made an appt with my eye doctor for new glasses and prescription shades. It was 3 years since my last appt, so it's a good thing I called. Would love to work with either Prime, Earl Henderson, or similar top notch company. I'm divorced and my kids are in their mid-20's, so I'm a freebird who can move if the job offer is too good to pass up.

I'm 52, retired for about a year, and interested in trucking

I called Rend Lake College Trucking School in Ina, IL and talked to a nice gal for about 15 minutes. They cost $4205 paid up front. I would have to fill out an application, give them a recent MVR (which is clean, I already checked), copy of my DL, and then they send me to a Dr. in Mt. Vernon IL to get the DOT physical and drug screen. Their class is 4 weeks, with only 2 days in the classroom. I plan to work through the High Road program a week before the class starts. This college I'm actually familiar with, as it sits right next to my hometown. Growing up I went there to take piano lessons and actually appeared on stage in a couple of musicals when I was a youngin' in high school. Man, how times and people change. Anyway, that's the scoop on school.