Comments By I-68 & I-79

Bonus miles question

At Millis at least, they pay the bonus on all your miles, so .36/mile then .02 more over 2000, then it goes to .025 at 2500 and then tops out at .03 over 3000 for all miles. Here's another one you might not of heard from their recruiter, if you don't take home time after 3 weeks (which would be 4 1/2 days) then all the miles after that point you'll be paid .05 extra cents on those miles plus bonuses after week three. So most competent drivers can get 3000 at Millis as it's like 90% drop and hook, you could easily get .39 cents per mile say out for 3+weeks at its .44 and then get quarterly safety bonuses for another .02 cents.

What is the best free android app for Gps

SmartTruckRoute is free to download and use from 1-2am or pm everyday, so you'll can average 120 miles a day rofl-3.gif

Phone service provider

You are going to want either Verizon (best choice) or AT&T for coverage in the "in between" cities areas. Now some companies like Straight Talk use Verizon or ATT networks depending on which phone you use. You can even take your current phone over, so if you have a Verizon phone they'll have to put you on that network.

Motor Carrier Atlas question

Definitely get the laminated one and a dry erase marker so you can highlight routes and make notes on the map. Plus they are way more durable too and will last you a lot longer.

Should be Accepted to Millis Transport in OCT

rofl-3.gifrofl-2.gifrofl-1.gif

Swift Prime those big carrier question

They can't legally run team until you have passed your CDL road test and are licensed. Some will try to get you licensed in the first week or two so they can run up the miles and make more money on you "training" you.

Millie Training Institute Beginning Aug 24 Eden, NC

Day 10: Finally on hit the open road. So we all pile into the trainer truck, and our instructor drives for about 20 minutes and explains a few things to be careful about and then he says, ok Scott you'll go first! So off I go, first thing I have to do is merge on to a two lane interstate, literally got into the seat on the shoulder of the on ramp. No problem, so down the road we go for about 30 miles then we exit into Highpoint, and what seemed like a green light turn yellow on me at every intersection. All in all, I think I did great compared to some of my classmates, didn't miss any gears shifting, downshifted like a champ and really only hopped one curb on a right hand turn. Can't wait to have another go on Tuesday after the long weekend, we are heading on a 16 hour round trip to the Cartersville, GA terminal to drop a trailer that needs repair there and picking up something (not sure what that will be yet) and coming back, so everyone is going to get at least 2 hrs each and we'll get some night driving in for sure.

Should be Accepted to Millis Transport in OCT

You are smart to consider Millis, as for the bunk issue, it's real not any issue, any trainer would be crazy to risk having you the top bunk collapsing on top of them, so don't worry. 😜

Millie Training Institute Beginning Aug 24 Eden, NC

Day 9: It's unofficially official I can back a tractor trailer! I passed all 6 maneuvers, not perfectly, had to take second turn at the 90 alley and parallel park (both made stupid little errors that costed me a bumped cone). Everyone made it through, and tomorrow we hit the road so watch out between Eden and Highpoint NC tomorrow, lol! Not sorry to leave the 90-100+F degree days on that gravel lot either.

Accepted at Millis Transfer training in Cartersville, Ga.

You guys sound like you have a great attitude, as for Millis, the pay is tops for newbies, the training is superb. In fact to test out of their school, is harder than any CDL test in almost all states, but don't worry the instructors are fantastic and you'll have plenty of time behind the wheel to get it down, class sizes are small compared to the other major company carrier training programs. You can read my day by day account of my Millie Training Institute dairy in the diaries section (and yes my iPad like to change Millis to Millie on me, lol).

Millie Training Institute Beginning Aug 24 Eden, NC

Day 8: Today was a scorcher, temp on our tractor said it was 109F! Plus humid North Carolina climate made being outside the truck for even a minute unbearable, and one of our three tractors A/C broke, so everyone rotated every 30 minutes, big pain in the @&s. So we practiced all day, two tested out on the 6 maneuvers. Tomorrow the rest of us practice some more and we all should test out by the end of the day. Wish me luck!

Millie Training Institute Beginning Aug 24 Eden, NC

Day 7: Oh how the worm has turned! All of yesterday's frustrations are gone, I am a backing machine. Once I got the keys of moving that box around from a YouTube video on offset backing I progressed right through that to parallel and blind side parallel all in one day! Tomorrow I'll start the 90 alley back and by the afternoon, knock on wood, I'll test out, and if everyone tests out (and we should) Thursday we'll hit the open road!

Millie Training Institute Beginning Aug 24 Eden, NC

Day 6: Frustration has set in, all my backing skills have seem to be lost over the weekend and I can't seem to master a straight back anymore, let alone today's new maneuver, Offset backing. I seem to be the only one not getting the concept and feel very frustrated and angry with myself, two classmates not only got and then parrell parking but even started on their 90's and at the end of the day I still struggle with lining up to do a straight back and forget the offset, that's a complete joke at this point. My classmates are encouraging and our instructor is patient. I guess it the competitive nature of me that I Hate being last, don't necessarily have to be first, just not last!!! I was told to just forget today and we'll start off tomorrow fresh and put this horrid, debacle behind me. Here's hoping. 😤

Truck Driver Training Stabbing

Here's the article stating Werner:

What kind of GPS are you using?

The Rand McNally has Wifi so if you thether it to your phones hotspot you'll get traffic, not sure about weather. Another one some truckers use is the app SmartTruckRoute, find it in you google or Apple stores, it's free to download and use from 1-2 pm or am everyday, but if you want all the weather, traffic and truck spots, weigh station it has it all, with a subscription, so try it out first.

Hoping to get a little advice. ..

You might want to check out Millis Transfer, not sure if Missouri is too far from one of there training sites for you, but I know they go to St. Loiuis and they do let OTR go two weeks then 2.5-3 days home time. There in the Company- Sponsored Training section.

Student driver filling out applications for pre-hire: How many miles can I expect in a year.

I think it depends on what kind of driving they are offering, is it OTR or Regional or LTL or local delivery? I'll assume as most rookies will mostly find either OTR or Regional you should except 2000-3000 miles per week (less at first and more as you gain exp.) so 75,000 you mention sounds like for that company the average for one year, but I know there are folks running 150,000 a year too. 120,000 should be a good bench mark, that's 2500 a week, but if you think only 2,000 is more like it for say a regional job, than 100,000 it is. Not withstanding and weeks off. My advice is find out from drivers of whatever company you're apply to, how many miles they average or have driven over the last month or year, as with anything your "mileage may vary". GL

Millie Training Institute Beginning Aug 24 Eden, NC

Day 5: Let's go backwards! All day straight line backing, two trucks this time between the 6 of us so not as many hours behind the wheel. All morning I was in the OTR truck as we call it because it has the sleeper cabin (set with five seats) and felt I had it down after 6 or 7 tries, watch my drift and making the right corrections as needed. After lunch, my group of three switch to the shorter day cab tractor and boy did it get going sideways fast, again after 4 or 5 tries I got that down and the two classmates who still weren't nailing it, got to try a lot for the last 1.5 hours solo. It's the weekend now, the week flew by, we have 4 more days of backing with a few hours classroom too until next Friday when we hit the road and start our street/hwy driving, everyone can't wait.

Millie Training Institute Beginning Aug 24 Eden, NC

Day 4: today started off classroom up til lunch then, we hit the yard and took turns coupling and uncoupling trailers, then got to drive them around the course negotiating left and right turns. No cones hit! The sun and heat has wiped out, 90 degrees and no shade during the coupling part and one of three tractors A/C is out so we rotate every 30 minutes so no succumbs to heat stroke 😓

Millie Training Institute Beginning Aug 24 Eden, NC

Day 3 and the winner of the Millis 500 is??? Yes, that day has arrived, the whole class (all 6 of us) when round and round practicing our shifting for almost 7 hours! So with two to a truck, I figure I drove for 3 1/2 hours. great thing was they were three different trucks we rotated through, all with the same transmission, but still a different "feel" to the clutch and shifter, two day cabs and one sleeper. My legs are a Shakin' after I don't know hundreds of clutch depressions. Tomorrow we'll begin practicing on coupling/uncoupling and then driving with a trailer attached, today was all Bobtailing.