Comments By Cwc

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0292705001535623441-41682.jpg avatar
  • Cwc
  • 5 years ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Got accept to PAM transport

Hopefully he does some fast talking with PAM or start with the dry van division. This is a bad time of year to learn to drive a truck with an olympic sized swimming pool behind it. Or best case scenario I'm completely wrong and they do have a dry bulk division. That would be great.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Got accept to PAM transport

I think he might be in the dry bulk division. Country boy, are you hauling dry goods in the bulk tanks?

I'm not sure they have a dry bulk division.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Backing help needed: turning front vs. back of trailer

I would also add that you don't need to feel like you have backing down 100%.

I say that because awhile back I made a comment to another here about the way I "passed backing skills" and they took that as I was given my CDL.

But I really feel like as long as you have a decent grasp and your good with GOAL. You should be good to go. Learn different ways/angles cause they will come in handy. Different ways of setting up. And each time you get a new tractor... Guess what you get to learn even more caise they are all different.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Stupid Question About Doubles & Triples

Enjoy!

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Vent & Brag for the week

Finally out of the Best Western....sittin in a 2019 cascadia with 214k on the odom.....Lady driver dropped it off at Garners so we got it assigned to us now......She did a year now moving over to drive for Gardners.....

Camped at Love's here early morning empty pick n drop for load headed out to Bedford PA.....got lots time on it delivery on 23rd.....We should be there plenty early n drop .....Then bug DM for outbound load fast !! Weekend DMs really dont get much done.....Found out other truck rhat died out on me was prior driver got canned so put like 60 gallons water in left tank.....Guess they didnt get it all out......So it aint going out anytime soon.......Glad we are !!

Nice! Sounds like you lucked into a nearly brand new truck!! And no, weekend dispatch is more for putting out fires than dealing with the day to day stuff. Once you have a good relationship with your DM they will probably have you set to where you'll rarely need to speak with after hours.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

WWYD?

You can also click on anyone's name and it will show you the pictures they have posted if you scroll down. Say for instance they have a picture of a check stub.^πŸ™„ Of their six figures.πŸ€”

Lol, gonna have to do better than that. That 52k picture was in reply to someone asking about FIRST year wages. That’s my first ten months and I made that clear. Those 1900 weekly stubs, that was to show what I was bringing in as a second year driver and that was to back up another flatbed driver who no one believed was bringing in those kind of numbers. 1900 a week average is pretty dang close to six figures a year. And going into my third year, the numbers keep getting better. So what’s the problem here?

None. If he looks he'll see a first year pay stub. That's kinda what he's been after.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

WWYD?

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Vent & Brag for the week

Me and my co driver finally got together once we both got back to our Riverside, Cal. Terminal

DM got us into a rental car headed to Phoenix to grab our assigned tractor here at Gardners terminal ( CRST bought them)

Supposedly our truck was ready to go.....NOT !! A mechanic was piecing the front bumper together to put it back on...Inside the cab was total crap nightmare of trash etc. (They dont/wint clean em out)

I called our DM told him we don't want this truck.....Ok so he gives me new truck there to check out...Nicer a 2018 white truck with 350k on odometer.....I check it out its ok only needs new driver seat this 1s torn to padding etc....mattresses can be replaced.

We spent all day got no service were totally ignored....Finally I tell a guy in the shop " we are taking that tractor Now we gotta get rolling so write number down and tell your boss.....Just then boss comes along replies ok take it .....

He had some smartass snicker in his reply...Truck has NO fuel so right to a Loves I go....$460 of fuel then next door to Blue Beacon for good cleaning.....2 hours in line waiting for the wash all good away we go to return rental so hopefully we get a load before our DM leaves for the weekend....

NO such luck !! I get stuck at a light, lose track of rental car, so I make my turn finally on green when all of a sudden.....The yelliw engine light comes on then 2nd yellow "check" engine light and its in limp mode no throttle response...I coast out of traffic just barely able to roll into dirt lot....3 plus hours calling for tow etc trucks towed back to where we got it from....Total miles driven since we took it until it broke=9 whole friggin miles hahaha

So here we are a 3rd night in a hotel not turning miles....And I have to wait to get reimbursed for what I have spent so far....They got the fuel n wash and hotel/rental car up to now covered.....

This too shall change soon enough,,,, just another hiccup in trucking world. lol Sorry long post lol I like to give mental images sometimes

πŸ˜† I don't mean to laugh at you... But I had a similar experience years ago. You'll get through it.

I picked up my first truck at Riverside. And my first load was out of LA. That... Was a rough day.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

WWYD?

I wouldn't rule out company sponsored training. I didn't spend a dime out of pocket, had a job lined up and got that all important first year of experience. The company that gave me that also assumed the risk of turning me loose in an expensive piece of equipment capable of doing some really expensive damage.

Now I make pretty good money. And I agree with what Old-school said, what others make is irrelevant to what you will make. 45k for your first year give or take is what you should plan for. More importantly... Learn the job. I still learn new things daily. After a few years it shouldn't surprise you if you make a week what you did in two. At either of the places you listed.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Vent & Brag for the week

I have different dispatchers for different geographic locations and awhile back we lost one due to health reasons. She is sorely missed, due to her attitude and abilities in the position she held. And the fact that she was replaced by two people for her one position speaks volumes. But they are still new and rough around the edges so in their locations I get some extra sitting time or get a load that can't be made here and there.

My "home location" dispatcher has upper her game lol she will send me loads to pick up from ten hours and fifty minutes drive time away. Knowing I'll make it happen. I like those days now and again.

What's this fuel mileage thing you guys speak of? Is that when I run/idle the truck from the time I get loaded to the time I get empty. In transit heat.πŸ™„πŸ˜¬

Posted:  8 months, 4 weeks ago

Northeast

Wait til u see -40 in WY or MT

That's what I was thinking... Those temps he listed were positive. Just wait till they are in the negatives.

Posted:  9 months ago

Sobering Winter Weather

I was chased by that same storm yesterday all the way to Durham NY. With a nice load of glycerin, so I booked it all the way to the receiver by 1300-1400 for my 0930 appointment hoping they might take pity on me and unload me early. No such luck they were full but at least I didn't have far to go with it in the A.M..

Be safe and slow down!!

Posted:  9 months ago

Turn on your CB!

I gotta get mine changed out. My new KW has a tiny speaker in the overhead that I cant hear a thing from.

Went out and bought a new small radio that would fit in the pull out slider so it would look all slick... Useless...

I'm thinking I'll just put my big radio in front of the glove box.πŸ˜• After having a good radio I can't stand not being able to hear anything.

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Still learning!

Ready to sign up for food grade tanker? The gorge on I-40 just west of Asheville,NC is always fun with 45-48k sloshing around in the back.

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Saying goodbye to Prime.

That is awesome news 🐒!!! Congratulations!

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

What's the most exciting thing you've ever seen or done as a driver on the road?

Waking up at midnightish from someone banging on the door yelling for me to move my tanker. Pulling back the curtain to see a truck on fire parked right in front of me. The truck to my left moved and I was able to pull out of my spot and away from the blaze.

Way more exciting than I wanted.

Fancy gap with fresh snow and an empty with supersingles is more than enough for me.

Never seen elk on Elk mountain... I had a buddy years ago.... He was pretty hairy, bet that is as close to seeing Bigfoot as I ever get.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Most cheapest/smartest way to obtain CDL A?

Can't blame you for wanting to go to a community college. That's what I did only I went on a major trucking companies dime and had a job as soon as I graduated the program.

Skip the out of pocket expense. Have a job lined up. Be ready to deal with new things cause well... Your new to driving and your going to make mistakes. With those mistakes comes lost earnings. Learn from them and make more from it.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Secret to ontime delivery.

I could post a screen capture but I think letting you see for yourself is the better way.

Go to O'Reilly's auto parts store website and search for 121G

Enjoy!

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Does anybody have experience driving for CRST.

I started at CRST also. And I have mixed feelings on giving a new driver a yay or nah on them. As others have mentioned team driving in itself is pretty rough. But on the flip side to that I did alot of drop in hooks in large places with wide open areas. That's not to say I never went to some places with funky little hard to get into docks.

Also I spent most of the time going from coast to coast so 3k mile loads. I can't remember if they pay for the permit or not however I'm pretty sure if you were to speak to someone in recruiting they would tell you up front and just remember they will do cash advances even in school I believe.

Also if you happen to come into orientation and it's a really large class, you might have the option to go to the overflow school which a few years ago was in Waterloo at Hawkeye community college. I enjoyed my training. I also spoke to a few people that had completed training at both CRST and Hawkeye Community College. And made the decision to try and see what I needed to do to make it to Hawkeye.

Also winter is coming and one thing I do like for CRST/new drivers is that they will send lots of update messages for weather/road conditions. They will also impose lower speed limits in less than ideal conditions or make you shutdown in bad conditions.

After training I was brought back and introduced to my dispatcher. He informed me that money could be light for the first few weeks but I had been doing a lot of reading and had expected that until I got the first mileage goal.

Posted:  11 months ago

Misdemeanor Who will hire me

I don't really see you having a problem getting employment. Just be sure and list it if they ask.