Comments By Ryan L.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/bluekw.jpg avatar
  • Ryan L.
  • Comments:

Everyone should get a kick out of this!

I have watched that video allot and cold not understand what all three shifters are for. Thank you for clearing this up for me. I would love to drive one. I am hoping that once I get out of school and get driving that I get a stick. I really don't want an automatic but it seems like allot of companies are starting to go that route.

I'm curious as to why some people prefer manual to auto. I myself am cool with learning manual but if given the choice I would much prefer an auto transmission. One less distraction while you're driving. you can tell me all day long that with experience it becomes less of one and next thing you know 2nd nature, but you know the same could be said about using a cell phone while driving... hands free or not, it's still a distraction even if it's 2nd nature to you because you still have to think about what you're doing and that thought process makes the difference. with an auto as far as I understand you shift into gear and go, end of story...

I have been reading that autos have been more inclined to break and that may be true but how MUCH more than a manual. this guy i sub to on youtube has an auto in his truck and from all the videos I have watched and gone through I think he has had 1 problem with his auto, company got him towed to a repair shop and then got him a rental truck so he could still keep making money while repairs were done. hasn't had problems since so it's not like they break after a month or something and I bet the ones that do break are probably mostly due to driving styles.

To each their own I guess. I plan to get my cdl in a manual so I have all doors open but in the end if my choice is between a company with manual tranny vs auto i'm going with auto. If I can only go with manual, then so be it.

I just enjoy the shifting. I enjoy being able to do what allot of people today cant. I am only 26 but I am very much old fashioned. I like hard work and the payoff it gets me. The harder something is the more I like it. I take it as a challenge. I am still in school but I am trying my hardest to be the best or at least one of the best in class right now. Even at my current employer I am setting some personal record that no one else cares about lol. My truck and my car are manual shift vehicles and I love it. I actually took the automatic out of my truck and swapped in the manual. Clutching can get tiring in traffic but that is a small price to pay for me.

CNG trucks

I am certified to repair CNG and Propane powered vehicles. Those tanks are much safer than any diesel or fuel tank. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVRcugQW1Wg

Everyone should get a kick out of this!

Let me put this into perspective. In the video you see a 3 stick(Triplex) setup.

We still have the same thing today it's it's simpler than it use to be. The stick on the far right is the hight and low, just like on a 10 speed, like in most truck today. The stick in the middle is the actual gear shift the runs through all the gears. The stick on the far left is the splitter and is use to split each gear from 1st gear up to 18th.

This is a 18 speed gear shift head. 3 sticks built into one. Lol. See? Much simpler. 1439762531.6339.jpg

And here is the shifting pattern that today's 18 speeds have to do. 1439762547.3582.jpg

Schneider intermodal training

How is the training going so far? Any new updates?

My first interview has been scheduled. ..

You are still going to attend the school so the two weeks is not to bad I think. And that is nice to have it covered. I had to pay the 4k, the DOT physical, drug screen, and test. Also the program I had to do is 14 weeks long. I started in June and wont complete until October. But I am happy that there was that option. That is the main reason I went to the school I am. They were the only ones around that offered the weekend class. If they did not have that I would not have been able to take any schooling. I wish you the best of luck though. It is allot of fun driving these trucks. I cant wait to get out on the road by myself with them.

My first interview has been scheduled. ..

I have a phone interview with them tomorrow. I have done so much searching and always seem to come back to Schneider. So I finally applied. I have seen and heard way more good than bad about Schneider. I unfortunately have to wait until October because I am taking the weekend class and that is only one day a week. I wish you the best of luck though with any job you take.

Schneider local intermodal

I will be following this. Very interested in how things go.

Actual truth on Schneider Please

Schneider is a great company with alot of different opportunity's in ohio the walmart account is big as well just an fyi !!!! I just joined there intermodal heading out for training sunday so ill keep you up to date on the training ....

I left Schneider to come right back the training program i went through with them (3 weeks) turned me from an ok driver to a very good driver, wouldnt change that experience for anything !!!!

I like the way this sounds. And I seen that you started a thread. I will surely be following it. Any input on them is a plus for me thank you.

Actual truth on Schneider Please

I think Schneider would be a good place to start your driving career and get some experience. I too was considering them. They have many different opportunities for new drivers, however, those intermodal jobs always seemed to require experience... At least where I'm located, they do. Could vary be area and their needs. Most Schneider drivers I've interacted with seem to like it well enough.

Right now they have it posted for my area with no experience needed. With the home time and no experience I think it would work great for me. I still am going through school though so the job might not even be available when I get my CDL. Unfortunate for me I have to take weekend classes so it is one day a week for 14 weeks. Got to do what you got to do.

Actual truth on Schneider Please

No one has any input?

Actual truth on Schneider Please

Hi everyone. I am currently in CDL school. I am at Trainco in Ohio. So far I am loving it. I should have done this along time ago. Anyway I have been searching around at different companies like every person new to the trucking world should, and no matter what jobs I see out there I always seem to come back to Schneider. Reading online I have seem mixed reviews and I would like to be able to hear what the people that actually work for them or have worked for them have to say.

The one that keeps catching my eye is Schneiders intermodal and the reason being is the location is only 10 minutes from my current location, and there is a terminal only about 15 minutes away. So I would be home a few days out of the week instead of only weekends or every few weeks. I have my fiance and my 2 year old daughter so the more home time the better. I am willing to stay out longer if needed but if I don't have to I don't want to. Also if anyone would mind chiming in with the pay possibly? I know that I am not going to make a bunch of money just starting out, and I am not trying to make the most money in the world either. I just want to make enough for me and my family to have a good life.