Profile For DonInOz

DonInOz's Info

Considering A Career

3 years, 1 month ago

DonInOz's Bio

Retired USAF currently living in Australia thinking about giving truck driving a try when I come back to the USA.

DonInOz's Photo Gallery

A Letter from Israel

Fascinating stuff Don! Thanks for sharing!

I guess we are pretty unique in that we are such a large land mass that it requires OTR work. I'd never really thought about the differences between us and small nations like Israel.

I wonder what the OTR scene is like in places like Russia and China? Maybe you could travel over there as well and give us some insight!

smile.gif

Sure, I coculd go on assignment for trucking Truth! :-)

Amusing GPS errors

What is the "manf?" I thought it was a typo at first but then you used it repeatedly.

I took it to mean, "manufacturer."

A Letter from Israel

IMG_1511_zps2a92epj0.jpg

That said, Israel’s highways are still considered dangerous: not only because of traffic but also because of the constant threat of terror attack on vehicles and their drivers. Truckers who venture out into little-populated areas such as the Negev, or the Administered Territories of Judea and Samaria stay constantly in contact and often travel armed. I hope this has proven interesting as a case study in the contrasts – and similarities – between trucking in our huge land, and in a very different kind of place!

Don

A Letter from Israel

Accident rates are falling in recent years, in part because of increased enforcement of speed limits and red lights, but also because of better-engineered highways. New roads that are the equivalent of US Interstates and European Motorways are replacing old roads all the time. Highway 6, the ‘Trans-Israel Highway’ which runs from Beersheva in the south to near Haifa in the north – and for using which there is a toll – is an example of modern highway building that allows through traffic to skirt major population centers and makes distance travel much easier and safer.

IMG_1479_zpsrgutymvg.jpg

A Letter from Israel

IMG_1480_zpsw0jlzy6m.jpg

Compared with North America, a remarkable percentage of Israeli truckers are independents or work for small family-owned fleets such as that once owned by my father in law. The notable exceptions are fuel tankers, and delivery trucks owned by producers or importers of small consumer foods, which deliver their product all over the country in smaller trucks that would be used solely in local service on our continent.

A Letter from Israel

As in North America, there are different classes of CDL which allow the holder to drive trucks of different configurations. There are fewer everyday regulations that drivers must follow; logbooks, scaling and the like are not in evidence. On the other hand, truckers are given tighter scrutiny than ‘4-wheelers’ and as professionals are held to a higher standard and are more quickly blamed when a deadly accident occurs. And make no mistake about it, there are plenty of deadly accidents on Israeli roads.IMG_1480_zpsw0jlzy6m.jpg

A Letter from Israel

Israeli trucks are almost exclusively of the cab-over-engine configuration: probably because European trucks (eg, MB, Volvo, Scania, MAN, Renault) predominate and COE’s are the standard in Europe.IMG_1489_zps2ik051wj.jpg

A Letter from Israel

As these pictures show, Israeli trucks are configured differently than most on North American highways. The ’18-wheeler’ of a tractor with dual drive axles and two axles on the trailer, is not standard. More common configuration for heavy trucks, is a non-articulated truck with four axles – two steering in front and two driving in back although often one of the latter can be retracted for when running empty – and often pulling a trailer with one front axle and two rear. When one sees tractor-trailer rigs, they most often have three axles on the trailer. Many large trucks are flatbeds, because a larger percentage of trucking is intermodal given the smaller size of the country; I’ve seen many tractor-trailer rigs pulling two 20’ containers on the trailer, and where it is a straight truck pulling a trailer, up to three 20’ containers all told.IMG_1491_zpsfinjdzem.jpg

A Letter from Israel

Even a cursory knowledge of the geography tells one that ‘over-the-road’ as we understand it in North America and other places, does not apply to Israel. The country has a landmass roIMG_1524_zps7avpjndr.jpg

ughly equal, in square miles, to that of New Jersey. It seems much larger, because Israel is long (290 miles from north to south) and relatively narrow (about 85 miles at its widest point). Given that the country’s population density at 377/km2 is high, it is surprising that one can easily find places with the feel of wide-open space and the open road. The reason is that much of the country’s population resides in the coastal plain anchored at the north by Haifa and its suburbs, by Ashkelon at its south, and with Tel Aviv and its vast metropolitan area at its center. So OTR trucking, in the sense of days and weeks away from home, is not part of the reality for Israeli truckers…and one therefore does not see many sleeper cab-equipped trucks. What truckers do consider part of their lot – as in other parts of the world – are long work days as they drive the country from end to end on ever-more-congested highways.

A Letter from Israel

I’ve just been visiting in Israel for a month. My wife is Israeli. Her late father owned a small fleet of trucks that her five brothers operated. Some 20 years ago, the brothers started to drift off into different directions, but two of them still own and drive trucks. I’ve therefore long been fascinated by the trucking scene in Israel and in the differences between Israel and other countries, in particular the USA which is my home (although right now I’m living and working in Australia). I therefore thought my fellow Trucking Truthers might be interested in a report from the Holy Land…IMG_1523_zpsr3wjxbgg.jpg

Speaking About Eating...Anybody Use Long Shelf-life Meals?

Guardrail's thread about veganism got me to thinking. I'm not a vegan but I avoid meat when away from home ffor other reasons. Not wanting to hijack the other thread, I thought I'd start a new one to ask this question...

I enjoy heat-and-eat Indian entrees by a company called Tasy Bites; some are vegan but some have dairy content. At home I microwave them, but one could just as easily heat the pouch in one of those 'lunch bucket' heaters that a lot of posters here say they use in their trucks. They are inexpensive and nutritious. But they are primarily Indian (the country) cuisine so limited taste-wise.

There are several companies which make long shelf life foods for heat-and-eat, which are intended for backpackers or survivalists, or just for having an emergency food supply on hand for weather emergencies or natural disasters. There is some availability or vegetarian/dairy, vegan, and even kosher entrees. My question is...has anybody tried using these in their trucks and, if so, what was your experience?

Thanks in advance for the feedback. Safe travels and Happy Holidays...

Don

Greyhound Bus to company-sponsored CDL training

The ride is sloooooooooow and the seats not the most comfortable for napping along the way. And yes, not to sound like a snob, but the terminals tend not to be in the nicest parts of town and do attract some shady characters. I rode Greyhound direct Miami-LA many years ago when I was 18 - it was something like 80 hour' trip - and it was bad enough. One would have thought I'd learned my lesson! But many years later, when I left the USN, I decided to use the bus to get from San Angelo to Miami...not as long but still a day and two nights, AND I was then in my mid-thirties. Oy! If I were about to start CDL school in a distant city and was given the choice between the bus or the cash value of the ticket to arrange my own transport...I'd strongly consider digging into my own pocket and take the latter option, and fly there, as miserable s flying can be nowadays!

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Favorite trucking companies

Now....I may sound like a commercial for Watkins Shepard, but I want to share with the rest of you my experience with a great company, and we are looking for people right now. We have more freight than we have drivers and we have some empty trucks waiting for drivers.

Will it be perfect for everyone? Nope ... but then, you just can't please some people no matter what you do. But it's sure been great for me.

Tracy

Hey, Tracy...thanks for the enthusiastic info on your company. It sounds like Watkins Shepard might be a good possible match for me if I decide to go ahead and learn to drive those big things. My home is in Colorado Springs but I'm thinking about relocating to Denver when I finally come back from the Land of Oz, maybe next year.

Don

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Swift Enclosed Auto Transport?

Frieghtliner's website says that they sell the Argosy as a 'glider' in the USA, and as a complete tractor in right-hand drive for Australia, NZ and South Africa.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Been Lurking Here for a While and...

Ernie, thanks for the reply, clarification and additional info. So a company wil not limit its hiring to zip codes close to where it has a base of operations. But do I mis-understand that, if my homebase is close to one of the carrier's major bases of operations, it will improve opportunities within tht carrier? For more diversity of loads, possible experience in different divisions, etc? Am I simply over-thinking this? Thanx in advance and all the best...

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Been Lurking Here for a While and...

...thought I'd join and introduce myself. Retired USAF, currently living in Australia, long story. Thinking about returning to the USA next year. Driving truck is something that I've always wanted to try. I'm in my late fifties and not feeling tired enough to retire. My stateside home is in Colorqdo Springs, but the house is retned and since my daughter goes to CU and is interestd in continuing on to graduate school I thought I might rent or buy a place in Denver's northern suburbs to share with her. I guess that would make the likely companies for me to look at Navajo, Schneider, Hunt...I'm sure the must be others with operations out of the Denver area. Anyway, that's in the futture! In the meantime thanks all of you, moderators and members for all the great and honest information here! Especially you, Brett; I read every word of your online book and it was very helpful in giving a neophyte a good sense of the job and industry.

Don