Comments By Little Carolina

https://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp204/mwaterman1-1/Photos20045001.jpg avatar

The day has finally arrived!

Hey that's fantastic!!! I'm looking forward to following along with ya. I know you've put in a ton of time studying and doing research so I know you'll be a lot more prepared than the rest of your class. You're going to be soooo happy about that.

Best of luck!!!

I am very dedicated and determined to do this!! I keep studying either reading or using this app every chance I get.. I am very thankful to you and to Pebbles for all of the help!!

The day has finally arrived!

Well Ladies and Gents.. Tomorrow I take off to Indy! I leave on the bus from Camden, Sc at 3pm heading through Fort Jackson, Augusta, GA and then towards Atlanta will have about a 2 1/2 hour transfer in Atlanta and then on to Knoxville, Tn for a 2 hour layover and then towards Cincinnati, OH for another transfer and then to Lexington, KY and then INDY!! I am still in awe that the day has finally arrived I cant believe it.. I am ready! The cool part is that I have made a really good friend who is traveling also and going to not only take the training with me but be my roomie.. I am so excited you have no clue.. I have studied and studied and I will continue to do so. I haven't had a chance to do anything on here in a while as I have been swamped getting all my loose ends tied up I do have an app on my phone that I found that allows me to do practice tests so I have been doing that a lot any ways wish me luck and I will post as needed but y'all can follow my blog on Facebook www.facebook.com/MyTruckingJourney see y'all later!!

Celadon/Quality Drivers Im so Ready for this!!

Haha, my boyfriend worked in Rock Hill yesterday. You must not be TOO far from me. :)

I am not far from Charlotte..

It's Official!

Got the go ahead from my recuiter today at Central! She will be sending my traveling orders soon, I will go to Conley GA for one week, and if all paper work and physical is good then to Salt Lake City for training!!!! Gave my two weeks notice at work, so all systems are go!!!! Nervous and excited all balled into one!!!!!!dancing-dog.gif

Wasnt sure what you had decided.. Wishing you luck and Positive energy.. You got this girl!

Celadon/Quality Drivers Im so Ready for this!!

Aint that cool! Yesterday I ran the hubby to work in Rock Hill and passed by one and then drove along side all the way to GF it was cool as heck!

GF as in Great Falls? Oh and I passed 4 Celadon trucks on I 26 headed to Columbia to fly or to my orientation.

You betcha! My lovely little home on the range.. (Great Falls, SC) Its so cool that I had never heard of them before this search and adventure and now it seems like I see them all over and all Lady drivers at that!

Celadon/Quality Drivers Im so Ready for this!!

Been thinking of you today. I have never in my life seen a Celadon truck. Not once. Then today, on my way home from college, I passed by 4. :)

My time is here!

Well. I hope we have helped you all we can. The proof of that will be you getting thru school, go out with your trainer, get those miles and get into your own truck !! So head out there and show em your stuff....and that your Lady Trucker Tough !!!! Keep us informed when you can...And we'll help you all we can... Stay safe and sane !!!!

Another one leaves the nest....Makes ya sad and glad at the same time. I'm glad that Little Carolina has started on the road to living her adventure !!!!

Y'all have been a heap of help!!! I cannot thank you enough!!! I am excited to learn. My biggest priority Is to put safety first! I am military tough so I know I can be "trucker lady" tough as well!!! Thanks Much!

And another "baby trucker" spreads her wings!

I've mentioned this in other posts around the forum, but after much consideration, I decided to go with Prime for my CDL training and employment. I've been back and forth with my recruiter over the past week or so and I had to jump through a few paperwork hoops, but as of right now, my recruiter's setting me up for orientation on June 4. I haven't gotten 100% confirmation of this yet, but I hope to get the final word this week. I'd like to leave sooner, but this will give me time to finish my college classes (which end on the 13th), celebrate my 28th birthday (the 23rd), and chill for a bit before I venture off into this crazy new life I've chosen.

I plan to take the tests for my CDL permit and endorsements in two weeks or so. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

My goal with Prime is to be a company driver in their reefer division, and then eventually (after I've gotten a few years under my belt) I'd like to become a trainer. As a woman, I've become increasingly aware of the shortage of female trainers in the industry. This sucks, because it means that unless you're really lucky and one of the rare female trainers is available at the time that you need her, you're forced to choose between either delaying your career for weeks or months while you await a woman trainer, or suck it up and endure the awkwardness of coed training (which, for the record, I am fully willing to do for the sake of getting on the road, but this isn't an option for all women).

I want to be as safe and smart a driver as I can be so that someday I can be there for other women.

I've been a graphic designer since I got out of high school in 2003. Now, I'm going into trucking. I'm both excited and scared half to death. Who knows? Maybe I'll love it, maybe I'll hate it. Everyone seems to know what they want to do with the rest of their life. I don't. I started college for a medical career and two years into it, I'm already disenchanted and bored. I've always been a fiercely independent free spirit with a zany creativity and an insatiable wanderlust. Medicine doesn't really fit anywhere into that spectrum. Trucking? Maybe.

So please follow along with me, friends. I have no illusions about the road that lies ahead -- I'm going to need all the support I can get, I'm sure.

P.S. -- Fun fact: Want to know how serious I am about learning everything I possibly can? I've spent the past few weeks reading through the old TT forum. All of it. 157 pages. Almost every thread. I've learned A LOT! And I feel like I've gotten to know several of you guys pretty intimately without ever having spoken to you before. I've been watching tons of YouTube videos about various aspects of trucking (I really like YourBoyE TheTrucker's videos). My roommate is a driver for Schneider and I grill him with questions and pick his brain every time he comes in for home time. I'm planning to hitch a ride-along with him sometime in the next couple of weeks once I'm finished with college.

I'm about 40% of the way through the High Road program and I love it. Brett, I will never be able to thank you enough for the good you've done for me and other newbies by providing us with such a wonderful tool...but if I ever have the privilege of meeting you, I'd like to buy you lunch. :)

Welcome Aboard!! I agree that there is a shortage of women trainers and that really is sad. I am also willing to go coed but as Celadon doesnt allow it I will have to just wait and see what happens. Keep studying and you will do just fine! I am here if you need someone to chat with!

Celadon/Quality Drivers Im so Ready for this!!

I just went and "liked" your page and made sure any updates you add will show up in my news feed. My name is Jessie Howard on there. It's OK to be nervous but YOU GOT THIS!

Thank you.. a good friend helped me to make that page she said it would be a good way for everyone to see my updates.. Thank you again for all the support!

What a shock, and a compliment I got today !!!

As I've said on here before, when I went to CDL school, it was a little 4 day thing, and I challenged the class, took the written and driving test and passed. BUT...I'd been driving on farms and ranches for many seasons. That being said, the owner of the CDL school just called me yesterday again (for the 2nd time in about 2 years), and asked me to come become an instructor !!! The pay wasn't bad, and as much as I'd like to help people, especially women, get thru the school and get their certification, i had to turn her down....I really enjoy doing instruction type stuff...I'm a antural at public speaking. But it would severely limit my road time, and that ain't gonna happen. But its nice that she thought of me...makes me feel good....

I would love to have you as an instructor!! But I understand that you dont want to come off the road.

My time is here!

Well Ladies.... I am heading out on Saturday to school with Celadon/Quality Drivers and wanted to see if y'all have any last minute advice for another lady trucker? I have my bag packed with pretty much my bare necessities however I did not want to lose my femininity so I did pack some makeup.. I realize its going to be difficult at times but at least I have it when I can.. I will wait to hear from y'all. Have a great day and stay safe!

Knight/squire program

Have been talking to people at squire program for knight, has anyone gone thru this and any information would be great

This was my first choice but as they only hire out of Arizona I was not able to attend. Good luck to you!

Celadon/Quality Drivers Im so Ready for this!!

Good luck to you, girl! I'll be following you and eagerly awaiting your updates. :D

Thank you! I have a few places I am going to be blogging but if you like you can follow me via my Facebook page here: www.facebook.com/MyTruckingJourney for some reason it wouldn't let me insert the link it says invalid address. So on another note I am nervous but READY!! Thank you for all of the support it is very much needed!!

Celadon/Quality Drivers Im so Ready for this!!

Little Carolina, Congratulations on your acceptance into Celadon's new school! Just wanted to tell you that when I was in Driving School my classroom instructor was a lady that had driven for Celadon for 15 years. She really liked working there and said that everyone there knew her by name, not just a driver number. She also said that, in her opinion, they were the most female friendly company that she ever drove for. Good luck, and keep us posted.

I sort of got that impression from following Pebbles and every conversation I have had with my recruiter. That makes me feel that I really did choose a great company!! Thanks for the support and I will keep y'all posted!

It's Prime Time!

In two days I'm leaving on a jet plane, I don't know when I'll be back again...yeah, it's cheesy but admit it, when you read that you did it in the tune of the song ;) I start orientation/training/boot camp with Prime on Tuesday May 7th. I have worked hard to save money for this day so that I could have a nice back-up in the bank for the first few weeks.

So yeah, about that whole jet plane thing. I got the confirmation email from my recruiter with the grey dog info on it and hit the greyhound site looking up the itinerary for that particular bus ride...23 hours, about 15 stops, leaving on Sunday at 7:30pm and arriving on Monday evening. Hmmm...do I want to arrived disheveled and worn out, only to spend a couple of hours filling out that infamous golden packet that Prime hands you at check-in or do I want to spend a few dollars, arrive in a very reasonable amount of time, and have Sunday evening and all day Monday to fill out that packet. Yep, called my recruiter, was advised that I would be reimbursed up to a certain point on the ticket and also told that it would be ok to arrive a day early (on Sunday)! I found a pretty decent deal on a ticket ($240 from Columbia, SC to Springfield, MO) and I can't wait for Sunday to get here!

My duffel is packed with clothes, toiletries, etc. My carry on is packed with all my paperwork and my two e-readers. It's getting real, especially today for some reason.

I will do my best to update as much as possible. With Prime you spend 4 days at orientation before heading out for PSD for 2 to 4 weeks. You then come back and test out for your CDL and begin the TnT portion for the next 6-8 weeks. At that time you test out to upgrade to your own truck! I am following Prime's recommendation and arriving with my CDL permit in hand. This means that I can jump right into the simulator after clearing the paperwork, physical, and orientation without worrying about studying for my permit and passing the tests. A big thank you is offered here for Brett, and/or anyone else involved, and the development of the training program here. After just one time through the main areas needed for my permit (General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Combination) I absolutely killed the test here in SC. Please do yourself a favor and do the program. It will help you pass. When the time comes to get my hazmat, tanker, and doubles/triples I will be hitting the program again with full knowledge and faith that I will once again nail the test.

Stay safe out there everyone!

Wow another Carolina here! Go Game****s! That's good that you found an airline that was a decent price I went with the grey dog.. I leave next Saturday for Quality Drivers. Good luck to you! I didn't have the option to get my permit as Indiana will make me get a new one. I wanted to so many times though.. The training program here has been a GOD SEND!

What to pack?

Well, I'm flying out to Springfield, MO for Orientation/Training/Boot Camp this coming Sunday. Having not traveled outside of the southeast very much, and never during any season other than the middle of summer I am wondering if I should pack a coat or jacket or sweatshirt, something just in case I hit a cold spot with my trainer? Or do I just save the space since there's two of us on the truck for the next 8+ weeks and take my chances? I have one medium duffel bag with 7 pairs of pants (5 jeans, 2 khaki tactical pants leftover from my LEO days)7 polo shirts and 7 undershirts (white t shirts) along with underwear and socks. This will last me two weeks on the road between laundry (which I am assuming is at the owner of the truck I am training in's discretion. This all fits in the medium duffel, maybe 3/4ths the size of the old style Army duffel bags. Plus I have my toothbrush, soap, shaving goods, etc. What says ye? Too much? Not enough? Help!!!!!!!!!!!! oh and thanks for any feedback ;)

I keep asking my recruiter if there is a list of what I can go off of for items to bring and she says just use common sense. so I guess that is what I am left doing I don't want to bring too much because I know I will be on someone else's truck for that training period and I try to be respectful as much as I possibly can. Plus there are a few things I can get once I get to school such as laundry soap etc. Bus travel always sucks when your loaded down. but any perspective from some of the gals would be helpful. Oh and I also asked about steel toe boots as I saw on a video on YouTube that people are saying that is required and she tells me nope just tennis shoes.

Driving Record Question

The ten years is for your work record/jobs held in the last ten years. Not driving record.

But its always a good idea to know what is on your DMV report

Like I said just wanted to know that I have all the documents gathered that I need and they keep saying no on driving record. She says that I am approved that must mean nothing came up which shouldn't. I have talked to Pebbles. I am getting excited! any last minute advice? I leave next Saturday.

Hit a snag

Okay, I know I have asked a couple of the questions before. But I am going to try and combine everything into one post so bare with me please. I am ready to get going on starting my potential career. There are just a few things I believe are holding me back.

1. I don't have a great work history. Most of my jobs have between 3-6 months. I was pretty inmature coming out of high school, and wanted to spend more time with my gf, and less time working. Well these last two years I have been kinda forced to grow up, and my last job, I probably would still be at, but I was fired for a something stupid. ( Yes I know, no one is ever fired because of something they did, but I really I am not making it up. ) Then there went about a whole year where I couldn't find a real job because it was hard to get people to hire me because I have 2 theft charges on my record. So I did various jobs here and there for cash. So Lets just say my work history sucks.

2. My background check. I have an excellent driving record. But I have been caught shoplifting twice.

3. As for right now, paying for school isn't an option I can afford. I need to go to a Company Sponsored School, which I am sure limit my options ever more given the above.

I have applied at swift which would be my preferd school to go to given I live only 3 hours away from the HQ. I have also applied for CR England. But I have not heard anything from either school and it has been about 1 1/2 months. Does anyone know how hard it will be to find a school that will take me in givin everything I mentioned?

I am not sure when your theft charges were or how serious but I do know that I had this same issue being a housewife. I finally found a school that did not look at that. Quality Drivers for Celadon. Check them out! I dont pay a penny out of pocket they provide travel, hotel, food and all cost of licenses and provide a stipend every weekend. here is the site Quality Drivers

Good Luck!

Driving Record Question

I am getting ready to head to school and not once has driving record come up but seems just about every article, forum or Trucking magazine I have read says it is required to obtain a 10 year report. Does that mean the company has already ran mine? Do I need to jam down to the DMV before I take off? any help in this matter would help? All I know is that I filled out the application and about a week later was approved to the training and providing I get my CDL and pass their employment test (90 degree backing) I will be hired. They have not mentioned anything.. Not that I have anything to worry about record wize but would like to know if this is something I will need to get before I leave? Last ticket I had was 2003 and according to the website of this company they go back 3 years. So maybe this means I am good? Just do not want any set backs.

Celadon/Quality Drivers Im so Ready for this!!

Wow that is exciting! I cant wait to see your stories. Good luck and I know you will Rock this!

yes I have been waiting for this for a while now.. I keep pinching to see if this is real and yep it is.. I will for sure keep everyone in the loop as I train. Do my best to post depending on internet and such..