Comments By Scott L.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/uphill-climb.jpg avatar
  • Scott L.
  • Comments:

Making appointments

The problem is my regular dispatcher knew way ahead of time, but weekend dispatch sent me on a run too far from home. I probably could have called in and tried to get out of it, but thought I could make it back. I don't think weekend dispatch is aware of appointments or if they are they don't really care.

Making appointments

How do you all handle making appts such as dentist or doctor? Do you tell them you have to be home a day prior to the appt? I gave plenty of notice for a dentist appt and my company still can't get me home on time. Advice?

Starting school on Monday!! So excited.

Good luck Jennifer!

11 hrs driving is enough, but the co wants more

Atx, he's already drove 11 hours. So his clock is now gone and anything further would be illegal. His company wants him to drive 14 hours when the maximum is 11. It's not really about the 14 hour.

Nah that's not true. You can drive 11 straight hours, and still work (not drive) 3 more until you reach your 14. Driving 11 hours doesn't cancel out your other 3 hours.

17(+2)/88/107 - UPDATE & fleet option change

The 7/7 is great if you can afford it. It's basically part time work. You're only working half the year. I know a few guys that do it, but most of them are semi-retired. Good luck!

11 hrs driving is enough, but the co wants more

I'm not naming names or companies, but I have a buddy that drives for a company that expects him to break the law. He routinely runs well over 11 hours a day, sometimes 15+. The company rewards him with home time every weekend so he's ok with it. They've been doing it for a long time now and haven't been caught yet. I'm starting to think this goes on way more than we think out there on paper logs.

72 hour safety check starts tomorrow .

Been hearing a lot about this. Thankfully I'm home until Wednesday sometime, so I'll miss most of it. How often do they do these?

Done with training

Just tested out today and am ready for my own truck! Roehl Transport put me up in a hotel for tonight, and tomorrow I'll get my truck and head off to somewhere! Exciting!

Rider Program

I don't think you'll find any companies that will let you take her fresh out of school. The company I work for is 6 months after your training is done. You need time to learn the in's and out's of the job before you bring someone along. I'm sure not only the companies prefer that, but the insurance companies do as well.

Prime can kiss my rear. Time for Swift..

The reason the guy with the felony got a chance is because his crime was some 30 years ago. People can change, and deserve a 2nd chance if they can show a pattern of solid employment and good decision making. Your excessive speed and public intox are rather recent. It's going to take some time for most companies to get over that. Honestly I'm surprised Prime or anybody else even gave you a look at all with that 96 in a 65 being still on your record.

On my way

Good luck!

Im Back:-)

Glad to hear things are going well for you! I just graduated out of Roehl's RDTC this week and head out with a trainer on Monday. Hope my experience turns out as good as yours!

Heading to Schneider Orientation next Tuesday

Nice updates! Good luck!

Work History Question

The lack of recent work history will definitely scare some companies away. I was off work for 2 months and Roehl made me fill out an affidavit regarding what I was doing during that two months, and I had to have a couple non-relative references sign it too. All you can do is apply at a few places and try it. Worst case scenario is you get a different job for a year or so, then try again. Good luck..

I leave tonight!

Good luck MM! I just got my CDL in two weeks after not ever being behind the wheel of a semi, so you can do it too!

Got my CDL!

Passed with a perfect score! The examiner asked me if I've ever driven a semi and I said no, not before I got to school here at Roehl, and he was amazed and how well I did. So glad it's over! Now to finish up school and get hired on with Roehl!

CDL Prep test material. High Road . Super Effective.

The High Road has been fantastic for me as well. I hardly had to read the huge JJ Keller book they gave us at school because I had already did the same stuff on the High Road program. We get quizzed on the JJ Keller book and it's been a breeze. Can't thank Brett enough!

Tomorrow it begins!

First week is in the books! Next week I really fine tune my shifting, mirror and intersections checks, and lane positioning. I take my CDL test Friday and I'll be ready!

Student accident

Wow...Glad no injuries. Scary for the student I'm sure..

Tomorrow it begins!

Down shifting will come with time, and the realization that if you watch your rpm's you'll see where its easiest to up shift AND donwshift. But all this comes with practice...Glad your out there steerin' and gearin'. Be safe...and keep us informed !!

You're exactly right! Today was great. Learned to watch my RPM's and hit my downshifts at 900 and upshifts at 1300 or so. Nearly every one when it perfect. Even learned to double down today which I love. I go from 10th, to 9th, to 7th, then 5th. Saves a bunch of shifts. Just have to remember to get the R's down to 650 or so...