Profile For Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu's Info

Omaha , TX

Company Driver In Training

3 years, 11 months ago

Bravo Zulu's Bio

I was previously employed as a Property Manager for a government agency. On August 1st I started CDL training at Texarkana College. I am 44 years old.

I did it!!! My first Prime-iversary ;)

Big milestone. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Is my trainer gonna kick me outta the truck?

My 1st time out with trainer I had everything in one great big large duffel (think hunting duffel and you get the picture). It was not the best choice because I could really position it in the bunk where it wasn't in the way.

My 2nd trip out I brought several smaller bags. Pants and shirts in one, underwear and socks in another, etc... in any case, I had 5 small bags. I could line them up along the wall of my bunk and had plenty of room to stretch out.

Just another option to consider in the future.

My old trainer just posted this on FB

Oh Sculpy, believe me when i tell you as a new rookie, you will be utterly physically and mentally exhausted. You should have no trouble sleeping on your 10 hr break.

Sue, I couldn't agree more. I was worried I wouldn't be able to sleep with the truck moving. That is no longer a concern.

I've learned to get my butt in the sleeper and close my eyes. Sometimes I sleep, sometimes I dont. But I feel better than I would sitting up in the seat or hanging out in a drivers lounge.

To 34 or not to 34, that is the question!

Yep, Tyson doesn't like them either. They will give you a short run or give you a plant to plant transfer with like a 3 day delivery for 800 miles.

I've heard some drivers run their clock out on purpose. I don't understand that personally.

I think everyone's situation is different depending on size of the fleet and the freight type. It's like comparing a drop and hook van driver and a temp control driver when talking about 8/2 split sleeper. But that's for a different thread!

My FM doesn't allow them. If I have five hours left on my 70 he wikk run me that five hours then get my hours at midnight.

Only get 34/on home time

Advice for discouraged newbie

I have no idea if this is the situation, but my trainer chooses to focus on learning to drive well first, then move on to the "other stuff".

He says it's too much to throw at a trainee at one time. I've just started backing this week and I am on week 5 of an 8 week program.

4 day with out a shower

I'm in a similar situation right now. 3 weeks 1 day to go! I'm sticking it out. It's temporary. It's disgusting, I'm disgusted with myself, but it's temporary.

Did I mention that I keep reminding myself that it's temporary!

Automatic truck

Maverick

Pay to park?

Ok, so I am just finishing my 5th week with my trainer, so take my comment with that in mind.

In 5 weeks, we have slept at a major truck stop only one time. We use rest areas and mom and pop truck stops to sleep. We even used an out of the way industrial area one night. The major truck stops are just plain dangerous during the busiest times. Truckers creating their own parking spaces, newbies like me backing into spots, the list goes on.

Fuel there, eat there, shower there, then get the hell out of there.

Just my newbie opinion.

Running out of time on the road

Yep Rainy, Kentucky is the only state I am aware of that basically grants you "safe haven" or whatever you want to call it. If you are there when they open back up you can bypass and get rolling.

Weigh stations. I've stayed at a couple in IN where each rest area was Jammed pack. Get to the weigh station only three trucks.

I think its Kentucky that has signs saying "courtesy parking..come in and get your rest"

A lot of drivers won't park in WS because they are afraid of inspections. I haven't had any problems

Lane Control

I paid closer attention today. It's mostly distracted drivers on their phone or eating/drinking. I stand corrected!

Double Clutch Hmmm?

Even people that catch on to up shifting really quick have to practice down shifting.

You need to gain access to a truck and practice. You can't wing it. It's un-wingable, lol.

Finally... pre-hires

There was a guy in my school that was 18 and he was pre-hired with a lineman company (ONCOR). That may be an option?

Lane Control

I've only been driving for 3 weeks, and that has been with a trainer. However, in that time I can tell you which companies do not have lane control as a major emphasis.

I'm not going to name them because that wouldn't be right. But I will say it's obvious. I can be moving up behind a trailer and almost guarantee it's one of about 3 companies if they are all over the place. And no, I'm not talking about Swift. Swift must focus on it because most of them hold their line rather well.

Anyway, it's just been 3 weeks. Maybe it's just a coincidence. Time will tell. Does anyone else notice this or is it just me?

Ok so I am relatively new to the site and have been studying...

My cousin's blood pressure is borderline. He always lays down when they take his for his DOT physical. He says it helps.

He could be full of crap, but he's been driving for 11 years and always passes!

Sleeping at a dog food plant

No such luck Ms. Rainy. My guard was a dude that had not washed his hair in about 2 weeks. I guess his name could have been Gladys. After all, we have a few guy drivers at Tyson that wear skirts. Not judging, btw. I'm a live and let live kind of guy!

That sucks if we were there together. :( Gladys the night guard was a sweetheart

Sleeping at a dog food plant

I'm doing great Rainy! I was at Tysons plant in Robards, Ky. We are hauling g salted chicken fat to our plant in North Richland Hills, Tx. That's our pepperoni plant, lol.

Cargill and Tyson are bad...feces and dead flesh..oh my.

How are you doing?

Sleeping at a dog food plant

Is insane. I can't describe the smell. Wait, I'll try. Dip your index finger into a can of Alpo. Then smear it under your nose. Now close your eyes and go to sleep.

It could be worse, I guess. Kill plants are no joy either.

Ok, good night!!!

New Driver Options?

Freight slows down for most flat bed companies in the winter months. That may or may not be an issue for you. I just thought I would mention it.

Lesson Learned From 20 Hour Day

You nailed it Old School. I do appreciate that he took time to tell me, "jason, when you get your truck and go solo, you will have some initial nerves, but your life will be much easier than what you are going through now. This is supposed to be hard".

Im thankful that people have taken the time to express their frustration with their company trainer on this forum. It allowed me to go into my training mentally prepared for anything.

Lesson Learned From 20 Hour Day

Yeah, G-town, I'm learning a lot, but I will be glad to have my own truck in a few weeks. I'll just leave it at that. I can't really answer that question without throwing up a lot of red flags.