Profile For John D.

John D.'s Info

3 years, 5 months ago

John D.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Need advice about Marijuana testing for CDL drivers

I'm surprised you don't know the answers to your questions if youve been smoking weed for a long time.

when i was in the union everyone a lot of guys were smoking weed on a daily basis. we got randomed all the time.

synthetic urine DOES WORK. it will not fail even at the lab. you just need to make sure it's the right temp.

on all my randoms i never had anyone watch me. the law states they can only watch IF you messed up and need a retest and it has to be through an Amber colored glass...

i don't know where everyone hides their synthetic... one guy said by his peanuts but... the hernia exam. what if its before you pee.

never figured out how they hid their synthetic but i can name on more than two hands union guys on federal jobs that are on drugs and used synthetic to pass. i know others that failed for temperature...

all of them perfectly capable of driving while stoned. but not drunk and not on crystal.

why don't u just stop till your retired or fight for its legalization and equivalent to testing like alcohol?

Stop til I retire?! You crazy?! Haha :)

Even assuming I beat the odds and live to retirement age-lifes STILL too short to not live how you want to live. And i probably won't reach that age. Mr pessimistic I know but I have my reasons.

Need advice about Marijuana testing for CDL drivers

And to jump on it before you say it. Me risking my job for weed is a dumb decision. One I might make all on my own. Not a dumb decision id make because I smoke.

But that was my whole point of coming on here. To either have experienced guys tell me it's easy and "here's how" or to confirm my fears that it isn't easy and I should just stop. Which is the answer I got so I got some thinking to do.

Need advice about Marijuana testing for CDL drivers

P.S. It's not a safety concern when the only time I smoke is during home time.

John, I have to disagree with you on this. Cannabinoids attach to fatty cells (cannabinoids are oils, basically), and the brain has lots of those kinds of cells. It takes quite a while for your body's filters to get that out of your system. So while you may not notice the effects, their presence still us an effect on your reaction times and decision making.

Which reminds me of a joke:

Q. What's the difference between a drunk and a pothead?

A. A drunk blasts right through the stop sign - doesn't even notice it. A pothead stops and waits for it to turn green.

Yeah, me nor any smoker I know has ever had any problems like that after stoping smoking.

A red flag for me is you saying my decision process is negatively effected for days or weeks afterwards-my decision process isn't negatively effect while I'm high to begin with. Like I said before weed makes you think. Thinking and sometimes getting paranoid actually leads to thinking things through and being prepared for things.

Alcohol is what leads to feelings invincible and then doing stupid stuff.

The biggest thing that makes it hard to understand is people who've only smoked a handful of times or they've seen people acting crazy cause they have only started smoking recently.

In the beginning it really is like a party drug. It's kinda like alcohol where you kinda go crazy and just wanna have a blast and maybe do some questionable things. Once you get past that rookie stage-it changes-it becomes a tool!

You can use it for creativity, or to have better empathy and understanding of something or to help you sleep. You can use it to legitamly help you achieve stuff and get work done. Or you can just use it to help you feel like a kid again and enjoy watching tv shows like you did when you were a kid. It depends on the person obviously.

Need advice about Marijuana testing for CDL drivers

P.S. It's not a safety concern when the only time I smoke is during home time.

P.P.S If you not liking the smell of it is your main reason to say it's bad? ...yikes. You must go around not liking a lot of stuff for such simple reasons.

Need advice about Marijuana testing for CDL drivers

Youre going to have to choose between your weed and your trucking job, but hey, macdonalds is always hiring.

No need to be rude. This kind of ignorance is why there is such an unjustified negative view of marijuana. (Insinuating that because I smoke weed I don't deserve any better than a minimum wage job).

It is not really unjustified. Allot of people like myself do not like the smell of it. Also, any thing that causes your body or brain to not function properly is not good. And about the McDonalds thing, in all honesty the jobs that are minimum wage don't care about the drug users. The jobs that pay good and you can live off of do care about it. So there is truth to that statement. I am also surprised how many people on here say that they are better off without it since they have stopped. I have had my friends that use it argue that is changes nothing about them. I am glad that the people on here are doing good and to you John I wish you the best of luck no matter what decision you make. I myself think you should stop smoking but either way I hope everything works out good for you.

I do need to defend marijuana and I hope you guys will give me a chance and read this post.

It's unjustified because other drugs in this country are ignorantly widely excepted and used daily like, caffeine, pharmaceutical pills, alcohol-and the list goes on.

You say marijuana causes your brain not to function correctly and I would disagree. It causes no brain damage and many people function daily while on it.

I do not smoke daily but I actually find I'm a bit sharper when I do smoke because it helps me see other perspectives and things like that-often making me realize my mistakes during things such as arguments with friends and family. Marijuana MAKES you think. Some people can't smoke because of that fact because thinking about reality and things like our mortality can be scary. Things like alcohol or personality altering drugs like zanax do the opposite-they numb you and surpress the thoughts.

Yes marijuana alters the chemicals in your brain. But so does every drug we all use. Every time you drink that coffee you're ingesting a brain/body altering drug-one in fact, that is worse for your body than marijuana.

Many of the people who say their life being changed for the better when they quit smoking are because of things like; 1) they started smoking way too early in their life 2)or they smoked so much and daily that it completly hindered them from living a normal life.

And for those people-I'm glad and congradulate you on your succes in defeating your bad habit.

But if you have balance with marijuana-like ALL things in this life-it's completly fine and harmless. Balance, my friends! It's key.

All this being said-you are completly correct. Wanting to smoke and watch my tv shows and play my games while risking my job and life line is completly irresponsible and stupid. I have a lot to consider.

Need advice about Marijuana testing for CDL drivers

Remember too that you don't need to quit forever if thats any consolation. You can save your money for a few years and pay for a good degree that could get you a more cerebral job in the long term if you wanted, then you can start using drugs again if you are still interested.

This is a new stage in the long journey of your life and with any new stage you have to be bold and step outside your comfort zone. It'll be tough, but once you get past that, you'll feel a whole lot better about yourself. You can do it brother! We're all rootin' for you!

Agreed. Just gotta sharpen up my will power skills haha. Thanks!

Need advice about Marijuana testing for CDL drivers

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply.

Need advice about Marijuana testing for CDL drivers

From one true brother to another, Please! Put the weed down. I was a rock and roll roadie for nearly 20 years and smoked almost every day. I have been 7 years clean now and don't miss it. You will be doing yourself and the people who love you a huge favor by getting to know life on its own terms. It was pointed out to me that after I had a few months clean I actually started to laugh for real. Something to think on. I hope you make the right decision.

Thank you for approaching this with an understanding perspective, brother :)

I really do have a lot to think about. I kinda wish I didn't post on here, because the truth hurts, but it's probably better that I did because I need to get my priorities straight.

Need advice about Marijuana testing for CDL drivers

Listen John, I totally understand where you're coming from. In my 20s I smoked heavily for years, primarily for the same reason as you: I thought it enhanced everything I did into some kind of awesome experience.

But what I finally realized is that it doesn't let you experience a more profound life, it does exactly the opposite. It removes you psychologically from the profound life experiences you could and should be having.

Video games and TV shows are not what life is all about, they're just a distraction designed to keep you numb and unproductive. Life is much more beautiful when you are clear headed and engage life in a positive and productive way.

I hope you don't think I'm being preachy, I want you to understand that I went through exactly what you are going through and I feel like I have some wisdom on this issue that would really benefit you. It's totally up to you if you want to take advantage of it or not.

For a very long time, my life was basically getting high and watching TV/movies and playing video games. But that Mary Jane is a devious b***h. She tricked me into wasting a good portion of my prime that I will never get back. Do I miss her? Sometimes. But believe me, I have so much more without her.

Trust me. Just let her go.

No you don't come across as preachy, I was hoping for people with experience to post.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but I'm also a big believer in balance. I'd like to believe I can live the pointless life of TV, video games and weed but also live the real side of life as well.

But I could be wrong.

I will take everything you've said into consideration and do my best to take a step back and analyze my life

Need advice about Marijuana testing for CDL drivers

Well-I'm sorry I lost you guys so quickly but I still appreciate the post. Thanks

Need advice about Marijuana testing for CDL drivers

What company was that? If you don't mind me asking (Hoping like a fool that maybe my company is too cheap to do that)

I don't think it matters. Hope is not a strategy.

I was hoping someone would come on her and give me a fool proof plan on how to beat the system but I know that's just a pipe dream

Beat the system? This is where you lost me. I am done with this. In your initial post I think you asked for us to call you stupid...case closed.

Yeah the system being I'm told what I am or am not allowed to do in the privacy of my own home.

Need advice about Marijuana testing for CDL drivers

Here's a true story of what happened to me.

I was driving through central Nebraska on a tight scheduled load going to Minnesota. My DM sent me a message saying "stop in Lincoln at (insert address here) for a mandatory random drug test. You must go. Call me if you have any questions. We expect you there within 30 minutes."

Well, Lincoln was only 20 miles from me! When I got there they did a hair test. This happens quite often.

So put yourself in my shoes. This will catch up to you and when it will, it'll be the end of your trucking career as you know it. I wish you luck sir.

*wear on me

Need advice about Marijuana testing for CDL drivers

My father died young and I probably will too.

Well first of all, don't say that! Don't even think it. You're probably going to live to be 95.

Unfortunately I don't see any way you're going to pull it off even carrying clean urine with you. When they give drug tests they're instructed to keep the door open and watch you to make sure you don't pull any tricks. And of course they do tests on the urine to make sure it's the proper temperature and doesn't show signs that you drank a gallon of water beforehand. They also test for signs of any masking agents. They've been at this game a long time and they've seen a million tricks.

Not to mention, companies know that coming off home time would be the best time to test anyone for drugs or even alcohol. One time I was given a random test just after 8:00 a.m. and they did a breathalyzer test also. I asked the guy, "Do people really fail breathalyzer tests at eight in the morning?" and he said, "You better believe it."

In my opinion you're not going to get away with it for long. I think it's only a matter of time before you get hit with a random at the wrong time. And I'll say this about the anxiety thing - trying to beat the system all the time wears you out after a while. I was always on paper logs and used to cheat on the logs daily. We all did back in the day. And I'll tell ya - that just wears on you. You're always scheming, always worried about getting caught, always trying to make contingency plans in case of random inspections or getting pulled over. It's a lot of stress and it takes some of the fun out of trucking.

Finally one last concern - it seems almost everyone is going to go to hair follicle testing in the coming months and years. The detection is so much better and the prices have come down so much that it's going to become more and more difficult for companies to justify doing urinalysis only. So I think your days are numbered as far as urinalysis goes anyhow.

The fact that many states have now legalized Marijuana and it's proven to have beneficial medicinal effects has taken much of the stigma away from it. But it will never be legal for truckers because of the effects it would have on driving. There are plenty of prescription medications that are perfectly legal for everyday use but will never be approved for trucking.

So it's hard to see much of a future in trucking for anyone who wants to use illegal or unapproved drugs for trucking. I think you're going to have to make a choice one way or the other.

We have a ton of information on drug testing including:

I try to stay positive about my father. But I do have all the same bad genes he had. I'd say the odds are against me. That's all.

And yes it does where on me. Having to beat the system (assuming I even can). I see it as the price I had to pay to live my life my way.

But you're right. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Need advice about Marijuana testing for CDL drivers

I appreciate all of you guys putting in the time to post. I have a lot to think about.

I'm sorry but my fav TV shows are funny without weed and even if they aren't then its time for a new show.... A show or game is only going to last but so long but trucking is a career....

Yeah I hear that a lot. It's deeper than that. My favorite shows are still good with out weed The games I've been waiting to play for years would still be fun w/o weed etc

The best example I can give is: Walking Dead-(yeah it's cliche to love that show by now but whatever) I will still love the show w/o weed. But when I watch it high it brings out emotions that I haven't had since I was a kid. I will actually feel fear for my favorite character etc etc. life just beats these things out of you. When I smoke I'm just emersed in the universe more and it makes the experience 10x better and 10x more real.

And the way I see it-there are only a certain number of times left to experience these things. Walking dead will eventually get cancelled or start to suck.

I will eventually lose the desire to play these favorite games im waiting for etc.

With a limited number on these experiences why would I miss out on doing it the way I WANT to do it and settle for a lesser experience simply because this country has twisted corrupt laws.

We can drown ourselves in poison liquor or pain pills or caffeine but me saying I smoke a plant outta the ground as a life choice and people think I'm some kind of loser addict.

Need advice about Marijuana testing for CDL drivers

I'll start by saying I appreciate your time and your advice and I'm really hoping for some open minded people who can give me some advice and NOT just come here to judge.

Also:if you're just coming here to say "drugs are bad" etc please save both our time and don't. (Keep in mind caffeine is a drug-how many of yall "do drugs" really?)

Okay so it's VERY important for you all to know I absolutely do NOT smoke weed and drive. I've been smoking weed since I was 18 and I've never been able to drive while doing so-a normal vehicle-and definitely not a big rig! I'm not stupid.

In fact-I don't even smoke when I'm out on the road because I don't want to risk getting caught with weed in my truck.

I ONLY smoke on my home time. Smoking marijuana is a big deal to me-it's attached to so many things in my life (I.e I won't watch any of my favorite shows w/o it etc). And to many of you that may scream "addict" but I'm anything but. It's a personal choice and my reasoning behind it is a whole other subject on its own and if you have questions about that I will gladly go into it but frankly this post is too long already.

I won't tell you what company I work for but I will say it's one of the bigger ones (as in not family owned etc) and the method of random drug testing is urine analysis.

So the advice I'm looking for is: is it really possible to smoke anxiety free? I've been driving about 6 months and haven't been popped for a random yet but I know it's coming.

And as of now my only plan is to freeze small jars of my own clean urine (because I don't smoke when out on the road-by time I'm home my system is clean again) and then defrost the jar whenever my route includes going to a company property.

Please let me know any experiences you've had with random drug testing or let me know any better ideas or maybe just tell me how stupid I'm being and how so.

It's easy to say, "just stop smoking" but like I mentioned earlier-that's basically saying "stop watching your favorite tv shows-don't listen to any new albums from your favorite bands-don't play and new video games you've been waiting years to come out" etc and I just don't think I can do that.

LIFE IS TOO DAMN SHORT. My father died young and I probably will too.

Thanks!