Comments By Jodi

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/trucks.jpg avatar
  • Jodi
  • Comments:

8/2 split

Can someone explain the 8/2 split to me please!!!! I have never used it but may be in a position tomorrow where it may come in handy. Unfortunately my cdl school did very little log book time and my trainer never explained the split either and I don't want to mess it up. I looked around on here but am still not 100% sure I understand. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

8 hours and counting

Finally made it out of there after 8 1/2 hours. I am well aware of the waiting game in this line of work but 8 1/2 hours is a bit excessive. Oh well made to pick up next load and still will get it delivered on time. And I got detention pay for the time there so could be worse. If it's not going to effect me tomorrow then it's not a big enough problem to get worked up over today. That's the way I look at things.

8 hours and counting

I brought a load into Walgreens D.C. In mount Vernon IL. Got here at 730 this morning for a 8:00 appt. it's now 4:05 and still being unloaded. They started right away when I got here. I went in after 4 hours and asked what was going on and she told me they have to sort and count everything as they unload it. I can't believe this is how they do it. I mean why not pull it all off and then count it instead of holding a driver all day doing it a pallet at a time. I'm a pretty easy going guy but this is rediculous.

The dreaded day is approaching....truck switching time

I'm with rainy. Moving all your stuff sucks. I couldn't believe the amount of stuff I pulled out of my old one. Food food and more food. I think I could feed 100 people with the food I keep in here. I got moved to a brand new one so hopefully won't have to move again for a while. Good luck rainy.

Another week of Walmart

I did Walmart in Nebraska. Crete has the dedicated there. I did it for a year and 2 weeks ago switched to national to see how that would be. So far it's going ok but must admit I miss the old Walmart fleet. I agree with you on free form messaging. I just walked in and talk to dispatch if I had a concern or the fleet managers door was always open. None of that now. It was also nice once you learned all the routes and where the good places to stop were. Now I have to do a lot more trip planning. To early in my national gig to really decide wich I prefer. Going to give it a couple months out here to make final decision.

All Roads in Connecticut CLOSED WED

Where abouts are you headed. I'm going to mechanicsburg to drop and then to McClure to grab a load to take me straight home to Omaha.

All Roads in Connecticut CLOSED WED

Anybody know if we will be able to get into pa tomorrow? I have a load to mechanicsburg tomorrow. I'm new to this territory. How long do these closures last? Boy I'm missing my Walmart dedicated account right now.

All Roads in Connecticut CLOSED WED

I'm glad I have a spot at this ta in wheeling w.v. In case I can go any where tomorrow

All Roads in Connecticut CLOSED WED

Rainy where are you finding these closure times.

I love lunch breaks... what are you having or had for your lunch? Any pics?

I keep lunchables and rev's in my fridge and a bunch of the little individual bags of chips. That's my lunch most days. And I always have bananas on the passenger seat for a quick snack if I get Hungary while rolling along. I am pretty cheap when it comes to acting out. Don't like to spend money but must admit I went in the flying j out here in Pennsylvania tonight and got a steak. It was surprisingly good

Dash cams

Looking at getting a dash cam. Want some opinions on what is a good affordable dash cam. I've looked at a few but not sure what to get. What do you guys that have them think are good ones

Making the Jump

Congratulations. Nervousness is normal and in my opinion a little nervousness is a good thing. No nervousness equals cauky wich is bad

When do you shut down?

I have a personal rule. If conditions are such that I can't safely drive above 45 mph I shut down. No point being unsafe and no point burning my clock up driving slow.

Am I still a rookie

Thanks guys

Am I still a rookie

I have got one full year under my belt. Accident and ticket free I would like to add. Am I still a rookie solo or can I update my profile.

What to do what to do??

I was in same situation. I had a vacation all paid for before I got my job trucking. After I got done with training and got a fleet manager I explained I had 7 day vacation already paid for and she said no problem we will work it out. I got my vacation of course unpaid but that was to be expected. It is possible as long as your upfront and give plenty of notice.

Guess I am one of the lucky ones!!!

I'm with everyone else. This sounds very odd. How are you going to pass driving test for actual cdl. Are they teaching you to drive and back up and how to do the pretrip the proper way to pass test.

Pre-trip inspection questions

I do a pretrip every morning before I roll. I open hood and check fluids and give a good look at belts, hoses and make sure there are no obvious leaks. Also you can't really check in side of tires or brakes if you don't open hood. At least once a week I do a good inspection of tractor without trailer on it you can see a lot more on rear of tractor when there's no trailer.no my pretrip are not as detailed as what your taught in school but they are done so I know I am safe and legal every day.

Crete Carrier anyone?

I have been with Crete one year now. I love the company and have no doubt I made the right choice. I am on the walmart dedicated so I'm not 100% sure on the national rates but I know the longer you agree to stay out the more they pay. That 49cpm sounds more like the Shaffer side but I could be wrong. I can vouch it is a great company with great benefits. Trucks are well maintained and they truly are a safety first company. I hope this helps and if you have other questions I am glad to try and help.

Refer loads

Thinking of switching to refer division of company I drive for. For the last year I have done pretty good at keeping my driving hours during the day. If I switch to national side refer division am I going to have to get use to crazy hours. I have heard both yes and no so thought maybe some refer people on here could share there thoughts and what the schedules are like.