Comments By Rob S.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-highway.jpg avatar
  • Rob S.
  • Comments:

Officially got a new job hauling fuel tankers. Goodbye Prime/OTR

Congratulations and good luck on your new endeavor! Sounds like a cool gig.

Trucking and Temperaments

Interesting post James P. --- I myself feel that I am a melancholic/phlegmatic type but lean more towards the melancholic as I get upset too easily with people, but find that I have patience for things. That is one of the reasons I want to give trucking a try, it is a challenge to me, I just hope I won't get bored with it.

Not sure what type is best suited to the industry.

Single most important trait of a successful truck driver.....

Agreed, patience is not just necessary as a trucker, but in life in general. Unfortunately our modern must have it now society does much to discourage many of us from being patient.

I also think humility would rank up there with patience for me. Mix these two with a good helping of crazy, and you have one fine human being! :)

Watch those time zones!!

Helpful info to keep in mind. But as James R. said the time of delivery should include the time zone market as well.

The sad realization of my CDL school

That's an easy $6K the school just made for pretending they train professionals. I would try to get at least a partial refund. Failing that there is always Small Claims Court. Just the cost of them to send a lawyer there will make them want to settle. Good Luck where ever you end up.

Shark-Painted Bridge Attack

That's a funny way to paint a bridge.

I liked the load he was pulling for "Sleeptronic - Indulge the Difference"

I guess he must have been sleeping or indulging in something other than paying attention.

Guyjax and kingpins

Interesting. I read a few of his comments from older posts and he seems like a decent guy, definitely know his stuff and comes across as a real professional. Wonder why he does not post on TT anymore?

Teams

"I can only imagine the scare of being throw down your bed....sometimes I have nightmares that I'm falling and it wakes me up every time, almost in a panic."

Falling in your dreams is common for many … this is what the "dream dictionary" says about it;

As with most common dream themes, falling is an indication of insecurities, instabilities, and anxieties. You are feeling overwhelmed and out of control in some situation in your waking life. This may reflect the way you feel in your relationship or in your work environment. You have lost your foothold and keep up with the hustle and bustle of daily life. When you fall, there is nothing that you can hold on to. You more or less are forced toward this downward motion without any control. This lost of control may parallel a waking situation in your life.

Perhaps it could be a reflection of this new stage in your life, learning to drive a big rig.

What do you/will you miss the most?

Aside from my family, I will miss the creature comforts of home. A warm shower, my own bed, my own toilet (sorry, just not the same anywhere else)

Werner review, my final days

Thans for sharing your experience. Werner is one of my top three choices once I am licensed. I would be based out of Southern Ontario, so not sure which way the loads would be going, hopefully the southern USA! Not a fan of Canadian winters :(

Wifi at truck stop question

Even when the WiFi is free, it can be of such poor quality that it's almost useless. When you say that WiFi should be free, you are saying that access to the internet should be free, perhaps, but who will foot the bill? Phone calls have never been free, so I doubt that WiFi will break new ground. Yes, some communities do offer "free" WiFi, but trust me, someone is still footing the bill.

Maybe our new Powerball winner could be Mr. Free WiFi (or Ms.)

Sitting in Texas

Hope you had your shower already! I wouldn't even think twice about driving 26 miles for a shower, especially if the co is paying the fuel.

Wifi at truck stop question

I think Raden is trying to make a business out of it. Go bro! But $7 a pop is a lot for me, when I can get my own for $50 a month and it will travel with me. Just my 2 cents.

Looking to see if I can get into trucking...

I am not a lawyer Thor, but if you were on private property, I am not sure how they are making this stick. Better call Tony Stark.

Wifi at truck stop question

if truckers were provided faster wifi at $5hr per usage, at a truck stop would you or any trucker you know pay for that?

Maybe not $5, but a couple bucks is worth it to me.

Nipigon River Bridge Closed, Severing Western and Eastern Canada

Well that sucks!

"The west side of the bridge has pulled away from the abutment connecting it to the river bank's edge, lifting up about 60 centimetres. As a result, police have shut down Highways 11 and 17 at the bridge, which is located about 100 kilometres northeast of Thunder Bay, Ont."

Must be too effin cold!

Please help!!! Sort of a new student...

As stated by others, you need to have been off pot for at least 90 days to pass the test. Yes, you have a right to provide for your family, but the company also has the right to put safe drivers in their trucks. My advice would be to just stick with companies that go back only 90 days. Have you thought about paying for your own testing to see if you pass? Just an idea to ease your fears.

Wifi on the road

I have an iPhone I'm not sure if it works like that or not. I came across one device called Karma, its a wifi hotspot that works off of sprints 4g/lte service. $50 a month for unlimited usage. That still seems a little expensive for me.

50 bones a month for unlimited data ain't bad at all. Assuming Sprint has pretty good coverage in the US, so you would have WiFi almost anywhere. And since the data is unlimited, there is no reason you can't share your password for a few dollars with other drivers. Heck, you might be able to break even that way (sorry, my inner capitalist is getting the better of me)

Ah, the pain!

Ouch! No hot sauce in the eye, thank God, but I was careless enough once to have rubbed my eye after cutting a hot pepper up. Chalk that one up to stupidity. Never have I experienced such a burning sensation. Hope you are ok now and learnt a lesson.

Entering Canada

RV wrote:

You can't bring your gun in your truck in the first place.

I respectfully disagree.

Western Distributing in Denver, Colorado hauls money for the U.S. Government, and everyone of its drivers assigned to that account must be permitted to carry guns. http://www.wdtc.net/

Also, here's a link to proponents of guns, and these proponents indicate that a Commercial Driver is legally permitted to carry: http://www.guns.com/2013/12/20/can-carry-handgun-commercial-vehicle/

But, I digress. The OP wanted to know about HOS.

I was responding to another member's post about crossing the Canadian borders with guns....not even sure why he mentioned it in the first place anyway. I'm pro guns, I have them. And from what I gathered so far, you can't bring your gun with you, most company policies will not allow it. DOT won't like it. Some states don't even allow you to enter with them unless you're licensed in that state. Seems a LOT of troubles to go through. I wish I could bring my gun with me for self defense.

The subject of this thread was entering Canada. I even stated that my post has nothing to do with HOS, but rather entry into Canada. Just wanted to avoid hassles for some drivers that might have a gun with them or have prior criminal records. I think it's relevant to the subject of the post, but it seems that some gun toting people always have to be right.