Comments By Houkie

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-blur.jpg avatar
  • Houkie
  • 6 years, 1 month ago
  • Comments:

I want to be a trucker!

I haven't begun driving yet, but I've done enough research and reading to know that Guy is absolutely right. You say you want a lot of miles. That's not something you're going to get simply based on what company you choose. Just pick the company whose benefits and job requirements suit you and your situation best. Once you're in there, do everything you can to be as efficient, safe, and pleasant to work with as possible. If you can do that, you will be running your tail off. If you can't, you will be sitting. It's that simple. ALL trucking companies want to keep your wheels turning because that's how THEY make money too. If you're sitting still, you're not making them any money. But you have to SHOW them that they can depend on you and that you're willing to do whatever it takes to get the load delivered safely and on time. And it helps if you're not a jerk, too. smile.gif

Here's a tip though: Go to the top of the page. See the navigation bar beneath the "TruckingTruth" header? Click "Main" on the left side. Then find the "Search Our Site" option on the right side of the menu that drops down. Type in the name of a certain company you're curious about, and hit Enter. That will bring up everything on this site -- blog posts, informative reviews, and forum posts -- that mentions the name of the company you entered. There's a good chance that a lot of your questions have been asked before, and this will help you find the answers you're looking for. It'll also give you a glimpse into some of the people who work for this company or that company, and you can see how they feel about their jobs.

Central Refrigeration

There's a pretty good review of Central's training program here on the site: https://www.truckingtruth.com/paid-cdl-training/swift-transportation/

Also, at the top of the screen, in the navigation bar underneath the "TruckingTruth" header, on the left side you see the "Main" option. Click that. On the right side of the menu that drops down, you'll see a "Search Our Site" function. Type "Central" into that box and it will bring up pretty much everything anyone's had to say about Central on this site.

My time is here!

I wish we could edit our posts -- I meant to say for those days when you can't get a shower after you go out on the road with your trainer. I'm sure showers will be no problem while you're actually in school!

My time is here!

Dry shampoo (or talc powder) and baby wipes for those days when you can't get a shower. Can't wait to hear your updates after you get there!

I have a question. ..

I second Guy's advice. If you take precautions to prevent problems before they happen, you won't need to worry about using violence to protect yourself. That said, if you get "creative" enough about your methods of self defense, you don't need to worry about what's legal and what isn't. For example, I carry a can of wasp spray in my car. Those things shoot 20+ feet and I don't care how big and bad you are -- a face full of poison is gonna slow you down. And it isn't illegal to have it in your truck. :P

Here's a thread from a week or two ago in which this same subject was discussed. There's some pretty good advice in there: https://www.truckingtruth.com/truckers-forum/Topic-550/Page-1/weapons-protection

Knight/squire program

They were my first choice as well, but when I called a recruiter she informed me that they're only hiring out of Arizona, Utah, and either Nevada or New Mexico (can't remember which). This was a few weeks ago now; not sure if it's changed since. Might want to give them a call if you live outside that area...

Posted:  6 years ago

Celadon/Quality Drivers Im so Ready for this!!

I just went and "liked" your page and made sure any updates you add will show up in my news feed. My name is Jessie Howard on there. It's OK to be nervous but YOU GOT THIS!

Posted:  6 years ago

And another "baby trucker" spreads her wings!

That's awesome! Almost all of my graphic design experience has been in the sign business too! I absolutely love it. If it paid better, I would make signs for the rest of my life. But a person can't live on $10/hour, sadly. My boyfriend is an installer at a big sign shop here in Charlotte too. :)

Posted:  6 years ago

If you think your having a bad day, YOU AREN'T!

All I could think about when I saw a rig nearby was having one of those retreads coming off a tire into my face.

This reminds me of a time when my dad was riding his Harley on the interstate and a truck blew past him as he was coming onto an onramp and a rock the size of his fist flew up from one of the truck's tires and took out the windshield on his bike. It hit directly in front of his face; had that windshield not been there, Dad surely would've been killed.

Things like that are such a cold, sobering reality check for just how small and vulnerable you are out there on that bike...

Well Here We go

I love ****atiels! Best little guys ever. :)

Hang in there, Phil. As far as the skills go, you'll get better. Just like driving a car, like you said -- at first, you were scared and didn't know what the heck you were doing. But now, you don't even think about what you're doing. It'll come to you. Just keep working hard, and try to keep your attitude right. Easier said than done, I know, but it helps a lot.

Posted:  6 years ago

And another "baby trucker" spreads her wings!

I've mentioned this in other posts around the forum, but after much consideration, I decided to go with Prime for my CDL training and employment. I've been back and forth with my recruiter over the past week or so and I had to jump through a few paperwork hoops, but as of right now, my recruiter's setting me up for orientation on June 4. I haven't gotten 100% confirmation of this yet, but I hope to get the final word this week. I'd like to leave sooner, but this will give me time to finish my college classes (which end on the 13th), celebrate my 28th birthday (the 23rd), and chill for a bit before I venture off into this crazy new life I've chosen.

I plan to take the tests for my CDL permit and endorsements in two weeks or so. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

My goal with Prime is to be a company driver in their reefer division, and then eventually (after I've gotten a few years under my belt) I'd like to become a trainer. As a woman, I've become increasingly aware of the shortage of female trainers in the industry. This sucks, because it means that unless you're really lucky and one of the rare female trainers is available at the time that you need her, you're forced to choose between either delaying your career for weeks or months while you await a woman trainer, or suck it up and endure the awkwardness of coed training (which, for the record, I am fully willing to do for the sake of getting on the road, but this isn't an option for all women).

I want to be as safe and smart a driver as I can be so that someday I can be there for other women.

I've been a graphic designer since I got out of high school in 2003. Now, I'm going into trucking. I'm both excited and scared half to death. Who knows? Maybe I'll love it, maybe I'll hate it. Everyone seems to know what they want to do with the rest of their life. I don't. I started college for a medical career and two years into it, I'm already disenchanted and bored. I've always been a fiercely independent free spirit with a zany creativity and an insatiable wanderlust. Medicine doesn't really fit anywhere into that spectrum. Trucking? Maybe.

So please follow along with me, friends. I have no illusions about the road that lies ahead -- I'm going to need all the support I can get, I'm sure.

P.S. -- Fun fact: Want to know how serious I am about learning everything I possibly can? I've spent the past few weeks reading through the old TT forum. All of it. 157 pages. Almost every thread. I've learned A LOT! And I feel like I've gotten to know several of you guys pretty intimately without ever having spoken to you before. I've been watching tons of YouTube videos about various aspects of trucking (I really like YourBoyE TheTrucker's videos). My roommate is a driver for Schneider and I grill him with questions and pick his brain every time he comes in for home time. I'm planning to hitch a ride-along with him sometime in the next couple of weeks once I'm finished with college.

I'm about 40% of the way through the High Road program and I love it. Brett, I will never be able to thank you enough for the good you've done for me and other newbies by providing us with such a wonderful tool...but if I ever have the privilege of meeting you, I'd like to buy you lunch. :)

It's Prime Time!

Good luck to ya! I'm heading to Prime myself next month and I'm eating up as much info as I can about their training program so I know what to expect when I get there. I look forward to reading your updates!

Posted:  6 years ago

Celadon/Quality Drivers Im so Ready for this!!

Good luck to you, girl! I'll be following you and eagerly awaiting your updates. :D

Posted:  6 years ago

Still pursuing that flat-bed dream

Having followed along with your triumphs and setbacks, I find your story to be so inspiring, Old School. I love reading your updates. Your trainer sounds hilarious (in a maddening, ridiculous way). Even if he drives you bat**** insane, think of all the great stories you'll have to tell later on down the road. :)

Student accident

I always say that the worst thing to ever happen to transportation was the cellphone. Ugh. So stupid. Glad everyone was OK!

Posted:  6 years ago

CDL Prep test material. High Road . Super Effective.

I agree with you on the High Road program. If I hadn't stumbled upon this website I don't think I'd be doing nearly as well as I am. The High Road program is making this studying stuff a breeze. I plan to take my permit exams in about two weeks and I'm totally confident that I'm going to blow them out of the water. :)

Posted:  6 years ago

If you think your having a bad day, YOU AREN'T!

I'm a biker chick too, Starcar. My heart aches for that rider and his family, and for the driver of the truck whose life is going to be very, VERY $@#!ed up after this. :( Those little motorcycles can be so hard to see on the highway sometimes.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED OUT ON THE ROAD

To add to the list of things you'll need on the road, I just recently discovered the wonder of using BABY POWDER as dry shampoo. For those days when you can't get a shower for whatever reason, OMG it is wonderful. Just sprinkle some on your scalp, rub it in, tousle your hair around, and brush it out -- voila! Clean hair! And it smells good, too. :)

Posted:  6 years ago

If you think your having a bad day, YOU AREN'T!

Oh dear god, that's awful. >__

Heading to Schneider Orientation next Tuesday

My roommate is a driver for Schneider. He really enjoys working for them.