Profile For Jerry Escondido

Jerry Escondido's Info

Escondido, CA

Experienced Driver

3 years, 5 months ago

Jerry Escondido's Bio

OK, so here is the short version of my life's story in reference to Truck Driving. November 1979, earned my Class A CDL. Yes, I did say earned my CDL Class A. I did not attend the "Wally Thor Truck Masters School of Trucking" or any other professional driving academy. I was trained by an old school Logging Trucker by the name of Junior McDonald. He said to me, " If you want to become a Professional Trucker, not a truck driver, I will teach you what I have learned over the last 40 years". I answered, Yes, but what was the difference between a "Professional Trucker" and a truck driver? He then explained to me that anyone, even a monkey, can be taught how to drive a truck. It is only through training, experience, practice, successes, failures, and how you handle each, that a Man or Woman may become a true Professional Trucker, the present day Knights if the highways and byways of this country. And he MEANT EVERY WORD. This is part of what I have never forgotten over the 30 years since he spoke them to me. You need to understand, to Junior McDonald, Trucking was a way of life, not just a job. This may sound sort of sappy, but over the 2 months I road with him, he did not just teach me how to drive a Semi and Trailer, but he gave me good advise on how to live an honorable and productive life. Much of that advise I still practice to this very day. God Bless Junior McDonald, where ever he is today.

TWT Refridgerated Services, begin orientation December 7, 2015, Monday at 7:00am.

Wow, that really sucks. Do you have any other backup plan companies that you have looked at?

Maybe they were just jealous that they don't live in Escondido!

Dan, thank you for the support. It is always nice when at least someone seems to care. Even though I have never met you.

Thank You, embarrassed.gif

Oh, and yes, I have already contacted the 2 other companies I was going to go with.

The crappiest part about all of this is they flew to Spokane - 5 hours.

Me and 2 others are going home by the " most cost affective mode avaiable, BUS back to Escondido.

Leave Spokane at 1:30am 10Dec15and arrive in Escondido 4:30pm 11Dec15. Just 39 hours.

Hello to everyone out there,

Well, the news is bad. I am being sent home do to having a hernia.

Now, I have, A VALID, DOT LONG FORM, MEDICAL CERTIFICATION FORM, APPROVED AND SIGNED BY A NATIONALLY REGISTERED PHYSICIAN'S ASSISTANT. ON MY DMV MVR MY MEDICAL CERTIFICATION CURRENT AND VALID UNTIL SEPTEMBER 2017.

Well, this was not acceptable to TWT's medical clearance people over at OHS in Spokane.

So, even though I have a signed, approved, and valid medical cert., TRANS SYSTEMS OF SPOKANE WASHINGTON DOES NOT FEEL I COULD BE A DRIVER FOR THEM.

BY BEING TOTALLY HONEST, AND DISCLOSING THAT I HAD A SMALL UMBILICAL HERNIA, BUT THAT THE DOCTOR THAT SIGNED MY MEDICAL CERT., FELT I WAS STILL QUALIFIED TO OPERATE A COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE HAS SHOWN ME ONLY ONE THING,

WHEN I APPLY TO THE NEXT TRUCKING FIRM, IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T DISCLOSE IT.

DON'T DISCLOSE ANYTHING AT ORIENTATION.

I'LL WAIT AND SEE WHAT THE FUTURE BRINGS.

Hi Folks, This is just a quick note. Finished first day of TWT Reefer Services. In class from 7:00am until 5:00pm. I am going to clean up and get dinner now. I'll update you in a few hours. Thanks for the patience, JerryEscondido

Me Again, It is now T-Minus 2.4 hours until I begin the latest chapter in my life as a Professional Trucker.

Just woke up from a solid night of sleep here at the Fair Bridge Inn, in beautiful Spokane WA. The flight from San Diego to Spokane on board Southwest Airlines was a lot of fun. The last time I flew was over 25 years ago. So far the only thing negative thing I have to report is that when I arrive at the Spokane airport, I called the hotel 4 times 10 minutes apart but no one ever answered. That was ok though, I just decided to rent a car for the week. This way I am not relying on the shuttle, but not everyone has money to blow on a rental. The hotel should answer their phones.

OK, it is shower time and then off to orientation.

Updates to follow.

Me Again, It is now T-Minus 24 hours until I begin the latest chapter in my life as a Professional Trucker.

i will be flying on Southwest Airlines from San Diego, CA to Spokane WA with 1 stop in Phoenix, AZ. I leave San Diego at 11:35 this morning and I am supposed to arrive in Spokane at 4:40 this afternoon. I just checked in online and I am in boarding Group B-6. Funny side note, Southwest Airlines offers an upgrade to its passengers online to "Business Select". That would move me from boarding Group B-6 to boarding Group A-(1-30). Now that sounded cool until I found out it cost, wait for it, wait for it, $ 2 2 0 . 0 0 more!! For $220.00, I will sit with the rest of the cattle.

I posted above what I packed in my duffel bags.

Below is what I packed in my carry on Laptop Computer case::::

LIST:::: CDL Class A license and Med.Card / Signed Medical Long Form / Passport / Bank Direct Deposit Form / DMV print out / Full Resume Birth Certificate / Cell & charger / Medications / Recruiters list of what to do when I get to Spokane and important phone numbers. Oh, and yes, my Laptop and charger.

Have a nice Sunday, and I'll update you when I get settled into the "Fair Bridge Inn", a 5 Star hotel, I hope???

Taking a shower on the road

I keep reading about how truckers don't shower every day...is it by choice/laziness/lack of hygiene or because rare are the truck stops with shower facilities??? This is a big issue for me. I shower every single morning to start my day, do my hair and simple quick make up, then I feel like a million bucks. It takes me 40 minutes or less to do all of it, being in the shower 5 to 10 minutes, depending if I'm shaving (I shave every other day). Only times I don't shower is because I'm very sick or occasionally spending a lazy day at home.

Personal hygiene is very important to me. I'm not feeling myself otherwise. Having access to a shower, even if for 10 minutes, is essential. I can dress and do my hair elsewhere to free up the shower for someone else.

I know this might anger some readers, but personal hygiene is a choice. I believe truckers are a very ingenuous group of folks. I have scene truck drivers fix the unfix-able. As Winston Churchill once said, "Never was so much owed by so many to so few."

We drivers(THE FEW) get the job done one way or another?(FOR THE MANY). So I believe:

IF ONE WANTS TO SHOWER, ONE WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN. I personally take a shower every morning. That shower is to me like coffee is to others. Once, twice, or possibly 3 times in my life, taking a morning shower caused me to be late for some event or something. I never felt a single bit of guilt.

But the choice is up to the person.

I start orientation with Veriha, same times and dates. Monday through Thursday, 7:00-5:00 this coming week. I also will keep people posted through a thread here. AND, we can compare notes to what each orientation does alike and/or differently. Since I know absolutely NO ONE in Marinette, WI, I will have plenty of time for updates here.

Funny you said that, same with me, I don't know anyone in the entire state of Washington. I will have plenty of time for updates as well. Good luck starting your new career. For me, I'm starting a new career at 54 years old. How young are you? Jerry Escondido.

Hello to Everyone Out There,

It is now, T-Minus 43 hours until my TWT Refrigerated Services Orientation, up in cold Spokane WA, begins.

I just finished filling my 2 duffel bags for the Orientation and my first dispatch with my mentor/trainer. Here is a list of what I packed.

FIRST, if any of the experienced drivers see something I forgot or won't need, I would really appreciate the heads up.

SECOND, maybe this will help others that are not sure what they will need to pack for their Orientation.

This is what I packed in the duffel bag I checked at luggage::: LIST:::: 3 - dress shirts / 7 - short sleeve t shirts / 5 - long sleeve t shirt / 2 - sweat shirts / 5 - long sleeve flannel shirts / 1 - full body thermal underwear / 1 - heavy jacket / 2 - belts / 2 - dress pants / 4 - denim pants / 4 - sweat pants / 2 - Pajama Pants / 1 - laundry bag ! - Boots 1 - tennis shoes / 1 - sleeping bag / 1 - shower bag / 1 - Electric shaver / Razors / tooth paste / tooth brush / Cologne

This is what is going with me in my carry on::::: LIST:::: Passport / Birth certificate / Medical Long Form and My Med. Card / Class A License / DMV MVR Printout / Direct Deposit form from bank / Full Resume / Cell Phone and Charger / Medication / Lap Top Computer

So what do you experience guys think, did I forget anything? Thanks for your time, I hope this helps some new Drivers.

Scared of becoming a truck driver. Please help me!

Hello everyone,

A little bit about me:

14 years+ dispatcher and operations manager experience in the industry. Class A cdl for the last 8 years. Past fleet owner running reefers from Chicago to Texas. I lost everything in the past. As my family is growing being in an office is just not paying the bills anymore. I have 2 months otr experience but that was 4 years ago. I have a friend of mine that hired me and I have orientation next week. Dedicated run drop hook on one side live load on the other 3500 miles weekly. I feel comfortable driving, but scared. I feel safe. I need practice still backing up, but something inside me still makes me nervous and scared. Please don't laugh at me, but I'm being honest. I'm really scared to leave my job with benefits, dedicated time, 40 hours a week, etc. How can I get over this?confused.gif

My friend, I Kind of know just what you are feeling. From reading your post, if I understand it correctly, your worrying about what the future will could bring.

This may sound stupid, but this thought, has got me through more than one rough spot in my life;

Things are bad where your are at, you have the basic skills to begin a new career, so don't worry, it can only get better from here.

Throw yourself all in. Learn all you can from other drivers. READ BRETT'S BOOK. Things will be better because they can't get worse.good-luck.gif

I am back, but no more stupid posts.

Hey, lighten up! What stupid posts? I for one think you're a fun person!

smile.gif

I am beginning this thread, so that it might calm the fears of other drivers, out there, that are worried about starting their orientation.

I have no idea what is coming up, but at the end of each day, I will post what we did that day.

TWT's orientation is Monday thru Thursday, 7:00am-5:00pm.

Sounds good!

Only truthful and honest commentary, from now on.

We'll be monitoring that!

Thank you for the kind words. I will do my best to post items that will help the truckers heading for orientation.

I am back, but no more stupid posts. I am taking a driver position with TWT Refrigerated Services.

TWT's orientation is Monday thru Thursday, 7:00am-5:00pm.

Only truthful and honest commentary, from now on.

Welcome back Jerry!!!dancing-dog.gif

Looking forward to your, commentary. I missed having you around. But I am one of those ppl that have a weird and twisted, sarcastic, and sometimes extremely dry humor.

Glad you are giving it another go.

Could you give me a little more information on TWT? I love learning about the many many many companies out there.

Stay Safe

Thank you for the kind words. This is all I have been told so far by Roxanne , my recruiter. She has been very professional. : There are three companies under the Trans System Company, TWT Refrigerated Services, Systems Transport Flatbed, and J.J. Williams Bulk materials. They are based near Spokane, WA, Their flatbed division runs all 48. Their reefer division runs runs the west. And their chemical/bulk trans port Division goes in the us and Canada. I chose Reefer because it would be the easiest trucking so I can get back into the swing of things, Just got a phone call, gotta go. Jerry

TWT's orientation is Monday thru Thursday, 7:00am-5:00pm.

Only truthful and honest commentary, from now on.

There are no intelegent life forms born North or East of California........Yeah I said it!!!

Jerry Escondido didn't reply to me...snif. :(

My deepest apologies, Princess. So when do you start CDL school? Are you excited at the prospect of being a a Big Rig Semi-Truck Driver? To be honest, you seem a little too feminine for the task ahead. I mean no disrespect but I am a 54 year old, US Navy veteran, now 20+ year Truck Driver with old time values and beliefs. Don't get me wrong, I believe in all women having the opportunity to pursue what ever career they choose. I have a 20 year old daughter, and I don't want anyone standing in the way of her dreams. Then again, this Dad could not except my daughter choosing to become, say, a stripper or professional call girl. I think I am safe here though, she loves women's apparel, retail and she is a great sale lady. So call me old fashioned if you must, just be careful out there. Seems quite a few men don't have the respect for women that men once had.

Now that I got that off my chest, so to speak, do you know who you will be driving for once you finish school? What type of trailer do you want to pull? Do you plan to go OTR or Regional, closer to home?

Oh just as a side note, You listed "Vamp" with your avatar.

I hope you realize, Vampires are real....

Zombies are make believe but not Vampires. Scary huh? shocked.png

I'm 52, retired for about a year, and interested in trucking

Like the title says, I'm 52, retired at the first of the year from 30 years in the IT industry, and have been mulling around the idea of trucking for most of the year. I've been lurking around here for a few months and decided to make a post.

My pluses are: I have a clean MVR, like to drive and see new places, have a strong work ethic, get along well with people, but prefer to work alone without a boss hanging over me, very detail oriented, healthy (passed my recent physical), strong, and ready to work. I'm 6'1" and 260, a bit overweight, but it don't bother me. BP is normal, and I don't think I have sleep apnea, although I do get up in the middle of the night to go pee.

My minuses are: Have a misdemeanor conviction that is around 30 years old, in the middle of a bankruptcy, haven't worked in about a year, not hugely mechanically inclined (but I used to work on my mower when I owned my house). I'm a bit of a spoiled home-body, so OTR might be a bit of a shock, but for some reason it really interests me. Never had a job where I worked with my hands, just only worked in an office environment.

I like the idea of being challenged to do something other than working in an office which near the end of my career was really bugging the crap outta me. For some reason, my brain keeps nagging me "Do this. Do it, do it!"

I was thinking on Monday to start calling some companies. I live in Carbondale IL, so there is Beelman Trucking right over in Marion. I was also going to call Earl Henderson, Prime, and maybe a couple others. Are there other companies that hire in this area that you all know of? I see ads for Beelman in the paper all the time.

I was thinking of attending the CDL program at Rend Lake College rather than a company program, so that when I complete it, companies would think I was ready to go, rather than be some yahoo who's been outta work for a year saying "well, um, I'm thinking 'bout being a trucker, can I come to your school, please?" I just think having a fresh CDL in hand would make a better impression and make me more hireable.

So what do you guys think?

Welcome to TT You are in the prime of your life, and most of the "old timers" here will be a great source of information.

You can always take a look at How To Choose A School, and Truck Driving Schools. As far as choosing a company, you may also want to look at Company-Sponsored Training. Recruiters value honesty, so if you are open about your situation, they will not see you as some yahoo.

As far as companies go, How To Choose A Company and Trucking Companies is a great place to start.

Brett's Book, is an excellent read, to get you started, and the High Road Training Program is a tremendous help to preparing you for a school.

Good luck with your search.

I second everything Dan said above. Age, no prob. 30 year old minor brush with the law, no problem. Read Brett's book, A MUST.

Never forget what Brett's book says and the facts support, Individual companies need us more than we need them. You get you Class A

and you will be in the driver's seat, so to speak. Good luck and welcome a bored.

You know what, ANYWHERE in the USA is a good place! You don't know how good you have it.

God Bless America!

I say, " Nay, Nay my good nature friend".

During my life, so far, thanks in great part to the US Navy, I have been to the following places:

Nevada, Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, Georgia, South Carolina,

Italy, Sicily(they think they are their own country), Germany, Spain, Portugal, The Rock of Gibraltar, Mexico, Guatemala, Panama

And my own Fatherland, The Great Sovereign Sub-Nation of California.

I know exactly how good I have it.

I served my country for 7 years.

I have paid the membership dues required to enjoy this lifestyle.

God has Bless My United States of America.

A bit overwhelming

good-luck.gif You need a little breather from the real world, dancing-dog.gif

Hang in there, dancing-banana.gif

Now remember the following piece of advice I am about to impart to you:

10s, 100s, 1000s, 100,000s of good folks have become truckers. With the level if devotion you are exhibiting, working while going to school, you will preserver in the end.

Keep On Keeping On and best of luck,

Jerry I know you mean well, but some of your posts can come off as awfully pretentious and condescending...

That being said, I was born and raised in Burlingame, a small town I'm sure you're familiar with, having lived in San Mateo. After I joined the navy I moved around a lot. I've lived in South Carolina, New York, Missouri, Texas, Washington, and now finally Idaho where I believe I will spend the rest of my life.

I have to strongly disagree with your perception of Montana as a lonely, barren place, and with your portrayal of the majority of Californians as intelligent and caring people. In my experience you've got it backwards.

I felt lonelier in California than I ever felt living up here in the Idaho/Montana area. The quality of life is so much better, the people are much kinder and generous and knowledgeable about what this country and the federal government were intended to be, the freedoms are plentiful and tangible, and the land itself has a beauty that is unrivaled anywhere else. I'm sorry you can't recognize it from the photos your friend has sent you.

Having lived in California for 2 decades, I feel I have some authority to say this: it is not the greatest place on earth. It might have nice weather, but it is way too overpopulated, expensive and "progressive" for my tastes.

Give me all 4 seasons, reasonably priced homes, good old fashioned hospitality and my God-given freedom to shoot stuff and use my natural resources as I see fit!

well, it did not take long for someone to sh&$ on my day. Thanks a lot, Pal.

Please read the first line of my post,

"Too many serious posts just after Thanksgiving. Please allow me to lighten things up a little. Where do all you USA citizens from? I'll start....

If you missed the the first 16 words, I'll print them again

Yeah I do come off as pretentious and condescending. That is my intent. You can be the serious one. You be the by the book, know it all. I'll stick to being the guy that puts a smile on the face of the hard working American Trucker. I'll stick to being the one that makes them chuckle when they think back on some of the outlandish stuff I have posted. It is not my lot in life to always be Mr. Right, Mr. Morally absolute correct. I'm the guy you want to have at your party to break the Ice when no one else will say a word.

Don't forget, you NEVER have to respond to any post I have made.

Now, I will go inside and cry myself to sleep.... embarrassed.gif

In 1770, Southwick, Massachusetts was granted independence from Westfield, Massachusetts. In May 1774, residents in southern Southwick also petitioned Connecticut for entry and secession from northern Southwick, on the grounds they were south of the royally approved border of the Massachusetts Bay Colony (three miles south of the Charles River). The part west of Congamond Lake joined Simsbury, and the part east of the lake joined Suffield.[98]

In 1791 and 1793, commissioners were sent from both states to survey the boundary line yet again, but were unable to agree until a compromise was reached in 1803–04. Massachusetts accepted the nullification of the 1713 compromise and the loss of the border towns, but regained the portion of southern Southwick west of the lake. This resulted in the modern boundary with Connecticut, which is a relatively straight east-west line, except for the "Southwick jog", a small, mostly rectangular piece of Massachusetts surrounded by Connecticut on three sides.

Google Maps

, (little shout out to my faves). I looked up Southwick, MA. I checked the satellite image and I have one burning question,

WHY?

Why did Massachusetts feel the need to scoop out that small section of Connecticut? I mean come on, your border with Connecticut could have been a continuous straight line. You could have share that pond. We here in,

double-quotes-start.pngSo what was in that small pouch that MA just had to have????

I won't be able to sleep tonight until I know.....confused.gifwtf-2.gif

Shawn, Thank you for that information. I just could not for the life of me figure out why the jog in the border. Stay safe out there.

Jerry, I lived in Encinitas for fifteen years. How on earth could you think Escondido is the best part of California? Beaches Jerry, Escondido has none.

First of all, welcome my fellow countryman. Now with that said, the reasons I prefer Escondido over any other placed to be, in caparison to a place such as Encinitas, are too long and too many for this shot forum. I'll leave it at this, MARINE LAYER. Encinitas, is often, if not always, overcast with that marine layer. In Escondido, by City Charter, we are only allowed 8 overcast days per calendar year. When I first wake up in the morning to the gentle songs of the Morning Doves that awaken all Escondido residents, I check my little thermometer, and it always reads, great weather today, sunny and warm. Yeah, that's it. My thermometer has no numbers, it only speaks the truth.

So now, I extend to you, My Olive Branch of Peace. Remember, we both live in the

Greatest Nation On This Planet, THE NATION OF CALIFORNIA