Profile For Pianoman

Pianoman's Info

Colorado Springs, CO

Experienced Driver

2 years, 7 months ago

Pianoman's Bio

A supervisor a few years back suggested I consider a career in truck driving, since I enjoy driving and it pays well. I thought about it but thought I couldn't since I have insulin-dependent diabetes. Long story short, I decided to actually start looking into it and discovered I could get a federal exemption. Eight long months later I finally finished going through the tedious process of getting an exemption. After a few months of thinking about it, I finally took the leap and signed up for company-sponsored training with Swift. The rest is history!

Pianoman's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 3

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Update on Uber self driving car fatality

This sh** is being "stress tested" by the consumers of the technology. Living Crash-Test Dummies...

Madness!

It is indeed madness--it's the number one reason this is so infuriating.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Update on Uber self driving car fatality

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Let's put some faces to names

Unfortunately the dog ain't mine sorry.gif0064449001524750394.jpg0399912001524750507.jpg

Posted:  2 months ago

Game

Padlock

Posted:  2 months ago

Prescriptions and Refills

I have diabetes and would have to get my insulin sometimes while I was still halfway across the country from home. I've always had my prescriptions filled at Walgreens, so I'd just call a Walgreens in whatever area I was going to be in and had them transfer the prescription from my Walgreens at home. If I was in an area that didn't have any Walgreens locations but there were CVS pharmacies instead, I'd call the CVS I was close to and have them transfer the prescription from my home Walgreens.

It was always really easy and convenient to get my medication on the road. I'd usually just find a Walgreens or CVS that was really close to a truck stop. That way I could drop my trailer, bobtail over to the store to get my medication, then go right back to the truckstop and hook back up all in less than 30 minutes. Of course, like Susan said, Walmart is another alternative and way easier to get to for trucks.

Posted:  2 months ago

I done did it.

Way to go man! You're awesome! Nice shower selfie btw haha--is that a Love's?

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Speed and lane etiquette

When going through a city with three plus lanes on the interstate, I tend to stay out of the right lane most of the time unless there is a law that trucks can't use the left lane. I find I tend to function as a rolling road block to merging traffic when I hold the right lane through cities. But in cities with only three lanes on the interstate there's always that issue of faster trucks running up on me in the middle lane, even though my truck is fast enough to run the speed limit. Alot of times I'll just temporarily move to the right if a faster truck comes up behind me. But if there's someone right in front of me or the right lane is too busy, I'll just hold my ground and the trucker behind me can just exercise some patience or pass me on the left. I try as much as possible not to be a nuisance but sometimes there is no perfect solution.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Finally!! Cleared by 2 different doctors to drive

Congrats Forrest! Really exciting news! I'm happy to hear your perseverance paid off.

smile.gif

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Back to the books

Nice going Devan. The tests for the endorsements are super easy if you use the High Road to study. The hardest one is the HazMat, and even that one isn't bad at all.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Uber Autonomous car kills pedestrian.

I embedded the video in Pianoman's comment above if you haven't seen it already.

Thanks Brett.

The human eye wouldn't have seen it the way that camera did. We would have seen her long before the camera shows she was visible.

Absolutely! It might have helped if the human driver hadn't been texting for the 6 seconds right before the impact.

These cars are designed to see objects in front of them and this car never detected her at all.

This is the part that's a really big deal to me. If Lidar can "see" fine in the dark, that means that this car would have behaved the same way in broad daylight as well. That's a huge huge problem. If I were that lady's friend or relative I'd be suing Uber for every penny they have. I guess I've chosen my side lol.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Uber Autonomous car kills pedestrian.

I've been keeping up with this story, and as it turns out, the police have been kind enough to share Uber's video of the incident with the public.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm very disappointed by what I see. This accident could have been prevented and this woman's life spared. Yes, technically the woman was jaywalking and she may or may not have been legally to blame, but I don't just run over pedestrians or other vehicles when they break the law. I legally could have rammed into the suv who cut me off with about 20 feet to spare in traffic yesterday, but I didn't because I anticipated it and reacted to prevent an accident. The pedestrian was in the road long before the vehicle approached, and the vehicle should have had no problem seeing it since lidar and radar work fine in the dark. Not only that, but the car never even slowed down or tried to avoid the acccident in any way whatsoever.

Here's an article which pretty much sums up how I feel about this. It is mostly well written except for the part where the author tries to play statistics analyst when he obviously has no understanding of statistics. Enjoy:

Video suggests huge problems with Uber’s driverless car program

Posted:  3 months ago

Uber Autonomous car kills pedestrian.

Screw Uber, never cared much for them since they started aiming to replace the drivers that made them.

Posted:  3 months ago

Interested in trucking, made bad choices before this good choice.

How long ago did you fail the drug test? That time factor will play a significant role here.

Posted:  3 months ago

New trucking career not looking good for me

Hey Forrest, I saw your name on the thread and immediately remembered you were the one asking about all auto-transmission truck fleets a while back. I'm really impressed that you're being so persistent with this process and determined to get through it. I don't have any advice for this process since I've never had to go through it but I completely sympathize with the whole federal regulatory process BS you're having to navigate. I have Type 1 diabetes and am not permitted to drive commercial vehicles in interstate commerce without a federal exemption, so I had to go through a similar process to get my medical certificate before I could start driving for anyone. It sounds like you have a few extra steps to go through since you have to take an extra driving test, but I also had to wait that mandatory six months. I actually forgot about the whole thing a few months after sending in my paperwork since I didn't hear anything back. Then one day the exemption just showed up in the mail with even more rules to follow.

Seriously, kudos for your determination and good luck with the process. The federal government loves to make these processes ridiculously complicated but once you determine the steps you need to take and as you systematically complete them, the process will seem a lot easier.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

How long did they last in trucking?

Been on here since October 2015, been driving a little over 2 years so far and still going strong.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Advice with long nose trucks

You officially drive the coolest truck on the forum haha

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Tough decision. Giving up CDL.

I'd keep it up if I were you. You never know when it might come in handy. You can use it for alot more than just driving semis. The only thing you have to do to keep it up is keep getting your DOT physical whenever it's due.

Sorry you weren't able to go into this career like you originally planned, but I'm happy to hear you were able to find a good fit doing something else anyway.

Posted:  4 months ago

Backing Practice - Walmart/SAM'S #1

Eww, this doesn't look fun at all.

Posted:  4 months ago

Popping in to say Hello :)

Hey what's up Charlie! Glad to hear you're doing well man! How do your trucks pull using compressed natural gas?

I'm not working at Swift anymore either. Moved to American Furniture Warehouse as a local driver at the moment and loving it.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Garbage patrol

One of my trainers would throw his **** bottles out the window...I hated that.