Comments By Steve_HBG

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/gold-rig.jpg avatar
  • Steve_HBG
  • Comments:

Well, coming home from Prime

Hopefully I can then go into their fast track program and go TNT almost right away.

I think you'll do fine, Miss Myoshi! I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Truck Stop Parking Fail

Maybe the driver was listening to Boston's Second Studio Album, "Don't Look Back," released August 2, 1978 when that blunder happened. A few additional songs from that album also apply to this scenario, like... "Don't Be Afraid," and "Used to Bad News." I highly doubt he was "Feelin Satisfied" after that experience, though.

On a more serious note, I hope the Driver changes patterns soon and has a safe, rewarding career in this industry.

How long to get a call from recruiter

I was wondering how long it took for y'all to get a call from a recruiter. I have 3 apps in for Prime, Roehl, and Swift. Prime was 1 week ago. Does it usually take some time?

i heard from Prime in a few days, Roehl within the hour, and Swift the day.

But... I also subscribed to Tenstreet, the app that lets people view the status of their applications submitted to participating trucking companies. Both Prime and Swift participate.

If you would like to view the status of your applications, The app is available for both the android and iOS smart phones.

I hope all goes well in your search!

Flatbed clothing

Pixel:

My answers are based on what I did when I pulled a flatbed from 1979 - 1991.

Given that flatbed drivers will be out in the elements often, getting dirty / sweaty while securing loads, I'm curious if anyone's come up with a combo of clothing that works well for them (one for hot weather, another for cold)?

I wore short-sleeved shirts in the summer, and long-sleeved shirts in the winter, along with a good coat, long johns, and insulated boots.

Do you change into a loading / tarping set of clothes you'll get dirty, and then back into something clean when you're ready to drive? Or do you wear coveralls over the same clothes you secure a load and drive in?

I had coveralls ($40.00 at Tractor Supply).

What about rain? Do you carry dedicated waterproof rain gear (like a motorcyclist would), or do you just change into dry clothes later?

I carried rain gear, but I seldom wore it. Hauling steel that could rust and lumber that needed to stay dry generally kept me indoors for loading and unloading.

Footwear? I keep hearing steel toe boots are a must...but do you change into something more comfortable when driving? Do you wear rubber boots when it's raining / snowing?

I wore steel toed boots when I worked around the trailer.

Do you carry extra pairs of gloves and hats for when it's wet outside?

Yes. Two extra pairs of gloves, but only one extra hat.

Maverick Transportation

Tyler noted:

The whole process truly varies. For me I applied and heard back within a week. The time to be set up for orientation will depend on division you pick and trainer availability upon completing orientation.

Thanks for the information, Tyler. I know someone who reportedly filled out the application for Maverick's TCD in Mid-December 2015 and hasn't been scheduled for Orientation yet. I was hoping that was more the exception than the rule, and it may be...

Stay Safe!

Tickets

Joe_W asked after TMC turned him down:

Would two tickets, one in 07 and one in 08 be a reason for them passing on me? Also had a PI in 06. The tickets were for 15 & 16 over the speed limit. Would stuff that old really be a factor?

I don't know if TMC turned you down with that driving record, because I do not know how far back TMC looks at a driver's record.

In general, companies look back five years. For "serious" traffic offenses, companies may look back 10 years, like Melton.

So, "stuff that old" could be a factor.

Beginning driver tool kit...

Fatsquatch said:

Personally, I knock the excess dirt and such out of the bristles after sweeping out a trailer, and keep the broom in the empty upper bunk.

Is it possible to keep the broom handle in the empty bunk and store the bristles in the side compartment? If not, could the bristles be wrapped in plastic and stored somewhere other than inside the truck?

I also carry a tire pressure gauge and a 2.5 pound hammer.

TMC here it goes!

I'll keep a video documentary rolling on youtube once I'm done with training, and post occasionally on general forums to keep those who care updated of the shenanigans. Deuces!

I look forward to watching those documentaries on YouTube. How do we find them?

Truck Stop Etiquette

Sunrise wrote:

3. Pick up your dog ****. I've stepped on a few of those landmines.

Especially in the Horse Shoe Pit Area! Petros (and other truck stops) are adding them for Professional Drivers to exercise, but I don't think they want them being used as a Pet Relief Zone.

Guys I need help after a bad week.

Errol reported about Swift's speed policy:

Swift has a policy against "over speeding", meaning faster than 68 mph.

Does that apply to L/O and/or O/O as well?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for temporarily hijacking this thread.

Beginning driver tool kit...

I don't have every item that's been listed so far, but I do have

One claw hammer; and,

One medium-sized crow bar.

Thanks for starting this thread, Ahmalia.

Starting at Prime March 14!!!

Congratulations and Good Luck to Everyone!

Truck Stop Etiquette

GOAL (Get Out And Look) when backing in to a parking space.

Offer to help the less experienced drivers when they're having a problem.

Say "Hello" to someone once in a while -- it just might make that person's day... and yours.

I lost my job..

Z: Sorry to hear about the job loss. I don't know how I'd feel if I received a bill for $2K from Swift. Also, being the skeptical person that I am, I do not know where you got snowed in, but I was wondering if it happened while you were visiting Destin, Florida (a small community located a few miles east of Pensacola, Florida on U.S. Route 98)? Have you moved from Destin?

When you hang up the keys, but wish you didn't have to

Steve, I loved it.

That's great to hear, Joseph.

KLLM also has a great CDL Training Program for those who qualify (State Residency).

I see KLLM's trucks quite often in the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania area, especially around the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Factory, the Chocolate Factory itself, Hershey's warehouse space leased from Exel, and General Foods.

Good luck to you, Joseph, and thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Stay Safe!

Don't Try This At Home

Dave: Did you ever drive for either Emeryville Trucking, Team Transport, Aero Trucking, or Nick Strimbu? Seems to me that I remember that night you described in your post. Not fun!

Thanks for the questions we should ask ourselves, and for the metaphor. The account of that night set up both perfectly.

Stay Safe!

When you hang up the keys, but wish you didn't have to

Joseph:

Congratulations for putting your Sons first! I think I know how you feel about returning, because I felt the same way. Twenty-nine years ago, I walked away from being a professional driver, and I left to start and maintain a Family. With my two children fully grown and on their own now, and with my Wife established in her career, I will have retired from my current accounting career, and I plan a subtle return to professional driving within the next few weeks.

Take good care of your Family! Your Sons are handsome, and they need their Father beside them.

P.S. Overall, how was your career with KLLM?

Orientation on the 14th

Jeremey announced:

Well starting my orientation on the fourteenth. I decided to go with Melton.

Congratulations! Melton is extremely selective, and you are fortunate to have landed with such a good company. Can you stand on one foot for 30 seconds and, then, switch to stand on the other for an additional 30 seconds? I couldn't... But, that's not the only part of the physical. You will need to use PROPER lifting techniques for the "tarp, chain, binder, and strap" tests. Good luck to you on all the tests!!!

Jeremy then asked:

I was wondering what should I have on my first day of solo?

During the initial two weeks with your trainer, I am confident that you will notice what you should have when you go solo afterwards. If that fails, the link that Anchorman provided is a great resource. I used it to select what I needed to take when I go solo, but I was equally concerned about the items I should take when I am in the trainer's truck. For that, I am sure that any of the recruiters at Melton will help you. Try calling and asking your recruiter, because the "luggage" you take with you may vary from one trainer to another.

Good luck, Jeremy. Stay Safe!!!

A Week in the Life of ... ErrolV driving GP dedicated

719 miles from Crossett (SE Arkansas) to Franklin, OH

Safe Travels, Errol!

Backing Practiceâ„¢ 04

Well...

I would have either parked in th "employee lot" or on 89th near the alley closest to 165th and persuaded the school to unload their merchandise from there.