Comments By James P.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-driver-safety.jpg avatar

Sage in Lexington, SC.

Was it the long 2 hour one from the 60s the school I went to put me through...

I believe so. This one wasn't from the 60's, but it was still boring as everything. lol

You are just a few miles from me. They are my school of choice, if the private school route opens back up for me, financially.

Stay safe

I like it here. Staff is cool and knowledgeable. One of the instructors told me yesterday that they are looking into getting two more used trucks. What they have now is used and abused. Very obvious students have put them through the wringer. I'm currently staying at the ValuePlace just down the street from the school.

Sage in Lexington, SC.

Day 1 in the books. I started the day on the range with straight line, and off-set backing. The off-set really threw me off because of the way I have to do it there. Out on the road I just serpentine over if I have to off-set. Here I have to crank the wheels all the way to the right and back for about 5 seconds to get the angle I need for the spot next to me, than crank the weheels to the left so I can start to straighten up as I walk it in... ugh.

Then I went into parallel parking after about 2 hours doing the previous maneuvers. I was good the first 2 to 3 attempts, but then started getting worse. That lasted for maybe 30 min before we had a recruiter from Comcar Industries come in, with pizza. After lunch it was time for a little classroom and a drug and alcohol video.

A little more classroom time tomorrow morning before getting into pretrip fun stuff. Looking forward to it.

Steer tires

My steer tires are always over weight.

When with my trainer we never had this issue.

I have read that steer tires are effected by 5th wheel placement. I have slid my tandoms all over the place but steer tires always read 12,100.

Have you tried moving your 5th wheel back a notch or two to put a little more weight on your drives? You only mentioned adjusting your tandems.

Flat spot on tires - please explain

Looks to me like his breaks froze and he drug his tires. Very probable staying in OR overnight.

Sage in Lexington, SC.

I'm here in SC for my 40 hour refresher course. I'll be taking it at Sage. The director hooked me up to knock it out this week (Mon - Fri) vs a week and half. So stoked. After that I'll be ready to attend orientation for Decker Truck Lines, and get with a trainer. Been off the road since June or July 2014. I can hardly wait to get back out there.

First week solo....oh boy!

Oh, ****....I just realized I left my lock on the trailer I dropped this morning.....

I did what my trainer did which was to write on my note pad with my trip info in really big letters to get my lock. When I drove for Central Ref. we used Enforcer locks. Those baby's were not cheap.

Trucking and Temperaments

I myself am a combination Melancholic-Phlegmatic. As Pat M. states in his thread, I need to work on my patience. I too think I would benefit from worrying less about what others think of me, or if I'm inconveniencing them, and focus more on the task at hand and getting it done, but done well and properly.

Trucking and Temperaments

The Phlegmatic is an introverted, calm, unemotional, easygoing, never-get-upset, person. Phlegmatics are both slow and indirect when responding to others. They are also slow to warm-up but will be accommodating in the process. Phlegmatics are by far the easiest person with which to get along. They live a quiet, routine, life, free of the normal anxieties and stresses of the other temperaments. The Phlegmatic will avoid getting too involved with people and life in general. Phlegmatics seldom exert themselves with others or push their way along in their career, they just let it happen. The Phlegmatic communicates a warm, sincere interest in others preferring to have just a few close friends. They will be very loyal to their friends and find it difficult to break long standing relationships regardless of what the other person does. The Phlegmatic tends to resist change of any kind without reason, other than they just do not want the change to occur. Phlegmatics show little emotion and are prone to be a grudge holder. Phlegmatics tend to avoid conflict and making decisions of any kind. They are practical, concrete and traditional thinkers. Their stoic expression often hides their true feelings. The Phlegmatic may be patient to the point of paralysis. Phlegmatics are persistent and consistent at whatever they undertake.
The Melancholy is an introverted, logical, analytical, factual, private, lets-do-it-right person. Melancholies respond to others in a slow, cautious and indirect manner. Melancholies are reserved and suspicious until sure of your intentions. The Melancholy probe for the "hidden meaning" behind your words. They are timid and may appear unsure and have a serious expression. They are self-sacrificing, gifted and they tend to be a perfectionist. Melancholies are very sensitive to what others think about their work. The Melancholy is well organized; on occasion you may find a Melancholy that keeps things cluttered, however, they know what’s in the piles. The Melancholy is determined to make the right and best decision. Melancholies will ask specific questions and sometimes they will ask the same question again and again. The Melancholy needs reassurance, feedback and reasons why they should do something. They need information, time to think and a plan. The Melancholy fears taking a risk, making a wrong decision and being viewed as incompetent. Melancholies tend to have a negative attitude toward something new until they have had time to think it over. Melancholies are skeptical about most everything but they are creative and capable people. Melancholies tend to get bored with something once they get it figured out.

Which temperament overall do you think lends itself better to this industry, which quality(ies) would you maybe have to take from another temperament to augment your own, and which qualities would you take from each temperament and combine to make the Super Trucker temperament"?

Trucking and Temperaments

Pat M. has hit a point that I was kinda looking at touching on myself, but have been too lazy to post on. I'm making this post so as not to hijack his (https://www.truckingtruth.com/truckers-forum/Topic-12497/Page-1/single-most-important-trait).

When looking at the temperaments (http://fourtemperaments.com/Description.htm);

The Choleric is an extroverted, hot-tempered, quick thinking, active, practical, strong-willed and easily annoyed person. Cholerics are self-confident, self-sufficient and very independent minded. They are decisive and opinionated and find it easy to make decisions for themselves as well as others. Cholerics tend to leave little room for negotiating. The Choleric is a visionary and seems to never run out of ideas, plans and goals, which are usually very practical. The Choleric does not require as much sleep as the other temperaments so their activity seems endless. Their activity almost always has a purpose because they are by nature result-oriented. They usually do not give in to the pressure of what others think unless they see that they cannot get the desired results. Cholerics can be crusaders against social injustice as they love to fight for a cause. Cholerics are both direct and firm when responding to others. They are slow to build relationships because results tend to be more important than people. They do not easily empathize with the feelings of others or show compassion. Cholerics think big and seek positions of authority.
The Sanguine is an extroverted, fun-loving, activity-prone, impulsive, entertaining, persuasive, easily amused and optimistic person. Sanguines are receptive and open to others and build relationships quickly. They are animated, excited and accepting of others. They will smile and talk easily and often. It is not unusual to feel as if you have known the Sanguine person for years after only a few minutes. Sanguines are so people-oriented that they easily forget about time and are often late arriving at their destination. Sanguines get bored easily because of their orientation to social involvement, activity and general dislike for solitude. The Sanguine never lacks for friends. Their attention span is based on whether or not they are interested in the person or event. The Sanguine can change their focus or interest in an instant. Sanguines are competitive and tend to be disorganized. Unless very disciplined, the Sanguine will have difficulty controlling their emotions. They usually like sports of any kind because of the activity and involvement with other people. Their voice will show excitement and friendliness. Sanguines usually dress according to current fashion. The Sanguine fears rejection or not making a favorable impression. They also fear others viewing them as unsuccessful. Sanguines are very effective working with people.

Taking Home Time

You would be the one to pick the dates. You just have to let them know about a week in advance so they can schedule you a load home. Also, don't forget that most companies require you to be out 2 to 3 weeks at least between home time periods. Know your company's home time policy.

If you have a family emergency, or you become very ill, I would imagine the company would work with you even if you don't have regular home time available yet.

A Pete With Some Teeth In It

I approve of this thread! smile.gif

Your favorite region of the country?

Washington State, Oregon, N. Cali, Utah, Nevada, Colorado, a little Arizona and New Mex, LOVE western Montana, Wyoming can be ok I reckon, N. and S Dakota, Nebraska, Texas, and Oklahoma. I hope to relocate to western Montana sometime later this year, or early next.

Christmas Eve permit test

dancing.gif

First Year

dancing.gifdancing-banana.gif

Tractor-Trailer Stuck Under Bridge

Smh... Is it that hard to recall that you're 13' 6" in a truck? My math skills are atrocious (I have never been able to memorize/learn my multiplication tables), but it should be obvious that something that is 13' 6" isn't going to fit under something that is 11'.

What headset do you prefer

I have a Blueparrott Express. I like it.

Started CDL school this weekend!

I think the smart thing will be not to develop tunnel vision about a company and keep my options open.

I can understand this myself. I had a list of 40 something companies that I've all narrowed down to maybe's to investigate further to develop a list of 20, than 10 w/ a top 5 to contact. Before all that happened I found Decker Truck Line out of Fort Dodge, IA. According to their Western Reefer division description, over 70% of their runs occur west of Ohio, and the main terminal for that division is in Missoula, MT. This is huge to me. I want to run the west more often than not, and I've been wanting to relocate to western Montana for a few years now. The only way I've seen to be able to run the west like I want is to get a western regional position, which while not impossible would probably be unlikely until such a time as I can relocate to a hiring area, which usually does not include Montana. The recruiter I've contacted also states that their rookie drivers avg 2700-3200 mi/wk. While that I think will be a bit much as I haven't driven in near a year and a half now, and I still don't have that much overall experience, it's nice to see that the miles should be there. They'll also send me out with a trainer since it's been so long since I drove big truck. I sent the recruiter an email with many of the questions that were advised in an old thread here, and I like most, if not all, of the answers. I'm super excited about Decker, but I'm nervous that I might be jumping the gun. So far they seem like a super good fit. Everyone else seems to run primarily east of the Mississippi, bleh. Now I just have to find my bunny a new home before I can apply.

HOS and 34 hour reset

The suspended provision also required drivers to include the period of 1:00AM through 5:00AM on both days when they did their reset. With the suspension of that provision, drivers will have successfully reset their clocks when they have been off duty for a continuous period of no less than 34 hours.

iLike smile.gif

Exercising when you're off.

There is an all body weight only excercise program on http://athleanx.com/xero that I plan on getting when I get myself situated after returning to the road.

HOS and 34 hour reset

If I'm not mistaken, this simply refers to allowing drivers only one reset a week. It was, when I got my CDL-A in May 2012 that drivers were able to take multiple resets a week.

When I went back OTR in 2014 after having been off the road for a year I discovered we were only allowed one reset a week, and we now also had to take a mandatory 30 min break in the first 8 hours of driving.

I understand that the one reset a week restriction has been lifted. I hope it stays that way. Now if we could just get rid of the 14 hour clock, and maybe the 30 min break, I'd attempt the banana dance.