Profile For BigCountry

BigCountry's Info

6 years, 2 months ago

BigCountry's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Tire Chaining Alerts/Resources

I am traveling in the NW (Oregon, MT, WA) for the first time in my career. I frequently hear drivers hear that if chains are required, they shut down. I am all in favor of doing this, but what resources do you guys use to check this ahead of time?

On my way out here on 90, I didn’t see any digital signs which may alert a driver before they head through a mountain pass. I only saw signs which indicated Chan up and chain off areas, but once a driver hits these areas it’s obviously too late.

Are there any online resources I can use? I guess maybe if it’s snowing a few inches before the pass, it’s safe to assume the mountain is going to be bad shape, but I was hoping for a more definitive resource. Thanks!

Proper way to resign?

I appreciate all the replies. I will be using all this helpful information. Thanks!

Proper way to resign?

I've been with my company over a year and another opportunity opened up and I want to resign from my current company (mega carrier)

Is proper protocol in trucking 2 weeks notice? Anything else? Send the notice through the qualcomm?

Im assuming I'll have to rent a car once I return the truck to the terminal. I live quite a ways from the main terminal.

First oversize load..help

Thanks very much guys. I really appreciate it. Your responses definitely filled in the blanks.

First oversize load..help

Picking up my first oversize load tomorrow...i believe it's going to be construction equipment on a stepdeck.

Other than stop at every open scale house and only drive during daylight hours, I'm not sure of anything else.

Im going to be driving through Wi, il, In, oh, pa, and md. The weight is 44,500.

WheRe do I get my permits from?

When I drive through the ez pass toll roads, I know the oversize loads take the far lane, but do I have to stop or can I roll through?

When I get to the scale house, do I park in the lot and bring my permits in? Do I need to bring in anything else? Sorry for the basic questions, but again, I have not done this and most of the time I am figuring this stuff out without the help of dispatch.

Any advice or pointers for those states or in general would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Flatbedder driving van for first time...help

My company is having me pull a van for the first time...been driving a split axle...even in training...so i have a few questions...

I have an appointment time to pick up a preloaded trailer....will this trailer already have a seal on it or do i put it on myself...

Whats the point of a seal if i put it on and break it myself?

How do i need to adjust my backing for a van versus a split axle....i have to remember to open my doors before i back in...lol

Any other comments which might help would be appreciated...

Thanks!

South Jersey to Long Island trip planning help

Thanks for the response 6 string!

South Jersey to Long Island trip planning help

This might be a silly question regarding the tolls on gw bridge and 295....

My truck already has ez pass which covers this area. Is there an extra bridge toll which I need to pay out of pocket or will the ez pass cover it?

South Jersey to Long Island trip planning help

My drop off in Long Island consists of two stops (10 min apart) and unloading of a couple of 100 pound boxes. I hope it won't take too long and I can head up to my fuel stop for the night in CT. I know the truck stops on the east coast get packed very quickly.

Thanks for the help Robert and RT!

South Jersey to Long Island trip planning help

I already have the app, but the only thing listed is an 8 spot parking area!

Thanks for your reponse.

South Jersey to Long Island trip planning help

I have a delivery 0700 Monday morning in southern New Jersey. By the time I get unloaded, retarped, restrapped, it will be around 8 am. I need to deliver to Hauppauge NY (long island) the same day. I am travelling to long island via gw bridge, long island expressway.

If I leave jersey around 9 am, will I hit major congestion or traffic issues?

Once I get to long island, I have to head up to Connecticut via 95. If I run out of hours, is there any decent place to park in long island? I didn't see any truck stops.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Posted:  6 years ago

Question for Persian Conversion

Thanks PC. That was a very informative post. How many weeks do you stay out?

Posted:  6 years ago

Question for Persian Conversion

You posted your income info for the first 6 months recently and it looks like you are doing very well.

I was wondering if you could share any tricks, tips, advice for a newbie flatbed driver to maximize their income, hos, etc? Any other drivers are welcome to respond as well.

Thanks!