Profile For ProudArmyMom

ProudArmyMom's Info

East Point, GA

In CDL School

3 years, 8 months ago

ProudArmyMom's Bio

Hello. I think I have finally decided what truck driving school I wanna attend. After a lot of research. I will be 52 years old in April, so I am rather nervous since I am an older candidate. My motto: always pursue your dream!!!

Promissory note Problems

I was told yesterday you can tell the creditor(s) to stop calling & harassing you. Cease & desist lol? Since you are aware of the problem, the phone calls definitely don't help the situation

Straight Backing Nightmare

Errol:

Thank you for the encouraging words. I am so glad Trucking Truth is available to assist us & let us vent, if necessary. No one else really fully understands the demands unless they have been to trucking school.

Straight Backing Nightmare

I wanted to add that I don't think 6 ten hour days (Mon thru Sat) is helping either. We all came back Mon looking like Walking Dead extras lol. We are all tired

Straight Backing Nightmare

Thank you for your responses everyone. I was at the end of my rope. I wrote it during lunch at trucking school.

This is the hardest thing I have ever done. My life hasn't been a piece of cake as it is lol. The last 2 days have been hour by hour. Bailing has entered my mind more than once. I have to be honest.

When the afternoon rolled around, I was getting desperate. We had rapidly moved into parallel parking (yesterday) & offset parking (today). With the offset parking, straight line plays a big part in that.

I told every instructor I saw that I was having straight line backing issues. After a failed attempt (& a lot of suggestions lol) to help me, I said If someone watches me, they can tell me what I'm doing wrong. One of my instructors said he would watch me.

I was looking too far back on the truck & over compensating too late. I figured it had to be a lethal combination of errors on my part.

Today (as I said earlier) was off set parking. People that didn't have issues before were having issues.

We are all stressed out. The yard testing (straight line backing, off set parking & parallel parking (?) will be our test Fri. If you don't pass that, there won't be any driving out on the roads. I hope I will be able to pass. I feel like my straight line backing fiasco may have cost me some valuable time. It can go either way at this point.

Again, thanks everyone.

Straight Backing Nightmare

I'm in trucking school. We started doing straight backing on Saturday. I did great then. Since then, I haven't made it down the lane one time. I'm running over the cones.

I've seen different forms of advice. I'm reading everything on here about straight backing issues. Look at your tractor tires, look at your trailer tires. Look where the trailer is drifting. Look in your mirrors, don't look at mirrors.

I'm doing terrible & any helpful advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Roehl Training ATL Style

Day #6 of our 10 hour trucking school days. I have survived my first week. We are all looking forward to our off day Sunday.

Drove the truck w/straight backing for the first time. In the rain & mud at the school driving yard. Most everyone did well. Our instructor was helping another group, so we were alone after lunch. Still doing well for our first day.

I thought the clutch would get me. I figured that out. It was the trailer drift. I was over compensating turning the wheel like I was Fast & Furious. Subtle is the key. Once I figured that out, it was all good.

Monday will be here before I know it.

Oh well, care & Happy Easter everyone.

Roehl Training ATL Style

We all passed the big test today, hurray!!!

The 8 people that didn't pass their CDL permit test went back to GA DDS to retest today. 6 people didn't pass.

Our class is down to 8 people. The ones that didn't pass are as far as they can go w/us till they have their permit. We are finally driving trucks tomorrow.

The ones that are in a hotel have to leave. They can't test again now till next Fri. Then, they have to see when the school has an available spot for them to come back.

You can get a good idea of who will pass & who will fail from the beginning. Who is taking it serious & who isn't. I know some people even quit their jobs to go to trucking school. It's a serious commitment & even then some people still don't make it. Trucking school is unlike anything I have ever done.

Roehl Training ATL Style

We have been training all week for CDL test. Friday is our first big class test.

11 people in my class went to test for their CDL. Only 3,passed. The rest have to retest Friday. Their testing got moved up a day cause GA DDS is closed for Easter holiday weekend on Sat.

We are supposed to actually drive a truck for the first time Sat. Can't wait. Ready to do something besides studying for testing & testing lol.

Roehl Training ATL Style

Charles:

Hey, hope you made it before the thunderstorms!!! Took me almost an hour to get home from trucking school.

We are real pleased w/Roehl so far. We hang out in our own little group.

Take care & let me know how you're doing.

Karen

It's going great for me. Talked with fleet managers, instructors, payroll personnel, other drivers. All are a professional bunch. Finally get to do some driving tomorrow. Hopefully I'll do a road test before the afternoon thunderstorms? LOL!

Roehl Training ATL Style

Gary:

We miss you!!! We were taken aback when you left. We were talking amongst ourselves about you hoping that you are doing ok. I showed your message to John & Lance. They said hey.

We are hanging in there at trucking school. Hopefully, you will be able to come back soon. Take care & let us know how you're doing.

Hey Karen!

I was really disappointed about getting sent home.

Going to see my doctor Monday to get my blood pressure straightened out.

Once I get that under control I'm going back to Roehl and try again.

Good luck to ya'll three.

Gary.

Roehl Training ATL Style

Today we did the GA CDL Manual all day. A little redundant for those of us that have our CDL permits already

Roehl Training ATL Style

Charles:

And thanks!!!

Roehl Training ATL Style

Charles:

Yes, it's a small world. I figured that was you in the hall way before I decided to say something. Didn't wanna case of mistaken identity lol.

I can't believe one of my group got sent home.

How is your orientation going?

Take care

Karen

And I saw you there today, too! Good luck. You'll do fine.

Roehl Training ATL Style

Pulse/heart rate should stay under 152 after each activity

Roehl Training ATL Style

Today was my first day of trucking school. Started at the Roehl terminal in Conley to do new hire paperwork. It was me & 2 other GA guys. Another man was from outta state & was gonna train at Roehl terminal where we were. Us 3 locals are training at GDA in Conyers.

First step was BP. Mine was 154. It was 112 at the Dr's office. As long as it's under 180, it's passing. Then we went outside to crouch under the truck trailer 2 times. Then climb up into the back of the trailer. Between each activity, pulse/heart rate is checked w/a finger monitor.

Back inside: Squat & touch the floor w/ur hand 10 times. Lift 20 lbs up & over your head. Lift 40 lbs up & over your head. Then pull up 100 lbs w/a bar in front of you. Then pull up 80 lbs w/bar behind you. The trick to that was to start out pushing very hard & fast

The outta town guy was sent home cause his BP was 190. We were taken aback that he was leaving so fast, but we understood rules are rules.

When we were done, we went to trucking school in Conyers. Everyone is very nice. Met the owner. Everyone in our class (I think it's 12 of us) took a drug test today. Physicals tomorrow. We were told the school would be moving in a couple of months. Same general area.

Trucking school is 6 days a week from 7am to 5:45pm. It's a total of 180 hours. If u miss any class time, make up time is Sun. One guy came via Greyhound & arrived right before we left. He was told he has to make today up on Sun.

2 of us have our Class A CDL permit. Everyone else was testing Fri & Sat. The school realized GA DDS is closed Sat in observance for Easter Sun. Now the testing has been moved up to Thur & Fri. The 2nd day is just in case someone doesn't pass the first day. I'm glad I have mine

Recruiters from trucking companies will be coming to the school. We were told to steer clear since we are employees already.

Today was a rather eventful first day. I am glad I have started trucking school. It was a 5 week process, but well worth it.

Take care everyone

Taking the plunge, Starting Trucker School

Richard:

Congrats!!! I am also starting trucking school tomorrow.

Georgia Driving Academy

Daniel:

I will. I am going to try to a trucking school diary if I have time. School is 60 hours a week, so that's ify at this point.

Daniel:

I am starting trucking school there on Mon.

Karen

If you would Karen could you let me know how it goes. I'm going to talk to them on Monday and see when I can get started. Thanks.

Passed My CDL!!!

Congrats!!!!

BP first day?

Hello. If you have passed your DOT physical, do they take your BP the first day of trucking school? I read different scenarios on here. Thanks

Georgia Driving Academy

Daniel:

I am starting trucking school there on Mon.