Profile For Idaho noob

Idaho noob 's Info

Boise, ID

Rookie Solo Driver

3 years, 10 months ago

Idaho noob 's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Generator and portable ac unit

I asked about ac and generators not negative omg ur gonna fail bs

How to approach this issue?

Foot on brake, let clutch out very slow when the truck starts to tilt that's when you can rrelease the brake and slowly let out clutch more. Never let off brakes until this point or you'll roll back and never roll back then let clutch out to catch it as the torque literally twists **** in half.

If u roll back push in brake and try again and try to relax, do not let the 4 wheelers or your mentor bother you.

You are there to learn don't try to be an ace just be patient and take your time and be safe most of all.

I know I had alot of issues because of anxiety I didn't want to hold up traffic and blah blah now I just ignore them and I'm my own world if they need to pass they'll pass.

Hang in there man you got this, if I can do it you can!

I couldn't even leave my house for 6 years due to panic attacks now I command an 80,000lb cruise missle!

Items You May Have To Purchase

Depends on company. At Swift when you get your truck you inspect it and write down what you need and visit the parts desk. Get new chains for free, get yourself 4 load locks for free as well some spare wiper blades spare fuses and headlight bulb.

If you do have to buy load locks send a message to ur DM first to get approval then just scan receipt for $ back on payday.

Stuff they don't provide you'll want a heavy duty push broom just bungee it to the back of the cab... buy 2 gallons of washer fluid and keep jugs to refill and a jug of oil. One or two pair of gloves only for fueling. Then a pair of gloves for everything else. Uhh hand sanitizer lots of it! Windex for mirrors. Standard crap, PPE hard hat, boots, reflective vest and safety gogglespecially.

List stuff you pay for and want

PPE- high visibility vest, gloves, goggles, boots, hard hat Push broom Windex Paper towels Washer fluid for the jugs Gallon of oil keep jug Fueling gloves Working gloves Pens Accordion folder for bills of lading Stapler Staple remover Office orginazizers Sterlite plastic shelves (handy in cascadia for misc stuff and organizing small snacks!) Small notebook to write down trip information (pick up # etc)

List goes on just stuff to make your life easier

I'm buying a cordless leaf blower I'm sick of sweeping dirty trailers that lazy half ton drivers left messy >:]

Hi everyone, got a question. Are there certain items you have to purchase when you go solo? Chains, load locks etc I am talking about dry van and reefer. I know flatbed has straps, chains, and tarps. Do all companies do this. I have read on here about certain companies and having to pay back money owed on certain items. Just curious. Thanks

Cascadia or t680

Agreed I fought hard to get an auto when I tested out in phoenix... they had 20 2016 auto cascadia and would not give me one... I tried and tried and got stuck with a pos 8 speed that slugs up hills. At least give me a 10 speed if I'm in a manual....

Thank God I'll go to an auto t680 soon. Automatic 13 speed better hill climb better hill decent and better mpgs and no shifting in stop and go. My knee hates rush hour shifting bring on autos baby.

I would pick the automatic. Why shift gears, especially in traffic. I have driven stick shift vehicles for the better part of 40 years. I think the "Automatic Trucks aren't REAL TRUCKS argument is mostly Ego. Hey its 2016! You can hardly find a stick shift car anymore, unless is a Performance car. I hope like hell that I get issued an automatic Truck when I test out with Swift next week. I am perfectly competent with a manual transmission, I just prefer the motto "Work Smarter not Harder !

smile.gif

Generator and portable ac unit

Going o/of soon and looking to avoid idling when I'm stopped for the day and or night. Anyone here used a gas generator to run an ac unit? Was looking at the portable ac but has anyone used a window unit and just took it down before rolling again?

Also is there any regs about carrying gasoline? Like a 2-5gallon can strapped to deck securely or a 2gallon stashed in sidebox with the portable gunny?

Plan on getting a 2200 watt generac generator with build in inverter from lowes and debating on what kind of ac unit.

Harsh reality

Don't ask for hometime do a macro 8nand set it. I have NEVER not gotten home the day I asked and it's usually a day early.

Well I don't know why it's this way but I am having difficulty with getting hometime. I live 3 hrs away from the terminal and they won't route me through there. I asked and I guess that is just the way it is. Any other swift guys with this problem? Or is it an issue with my home terminal?

Swift routes

I ignore terminal fueling especially west valley. I go where ever is the shortest route and reoptimize, I have had many dashboards and it's never a problem. The fuel route is computer generated and it's by who gave the cheapest fuel rate on the route.

They are more concerned with the GOAL messages than anything and no one actually gets out to look everytime as its pointless when you scouted your hole and can see it.

Starting Funds as New Trucker? -- based on quotes found in another thread

You need to have $$ for your state exam, permit,license,any endorsements. Food $$ while training. If u fail ur state exam you can retake but here in Idaho that's $60 gone and another $60 for 2nd test.

Always have a $$ buffer

Hi folks! I'm new here so I'm unsure how to do proper quotes, especially when it was found in another (unrelated) thread. But anyhow.... the below quote is a comment to a quote (if that makes any sense?! haha!). If anyone would mind elaborating on this topic for the newbies like myself, especially since I pretty much will be starting with *zilch*, that'd be awesome. Please keep in mind I'm not a "student" yet and have zero CDL training, much less am employed by any trucking company (in other words, keep it on the "dumb" beginners' level for this not-even-a-rookie newbie, thanks!)

original quote by: RhondaToo; comment on quote by: Brett Aquila

Now you see why I always tell everybody to save as much $ as possible before you get started, because it doesn't always go smoothly.

AMEN! To anyone considering getting into trucking, you'll want to have $1000-$2000 saved up if at all possible to get through the lean times during training and your initial few weeks on the road. If you get started in trucking with empty pockets, you're going to have a boatload of additional stress all the time. I'm fully aware that it's not always possible to save up some cash - so you gotta do what ya gotta do. But just understand that without any cash in your pockets, things are going to be very, very stressful.

Leaving a dog in the truck

I have a service dog vest for my dog he comes inside for showers. So if you see a tattood driver with a Siberian husky it's probably me.

Finally done

Good call. I drive for Swift and they are very fair typical large company but good miles if you and ur DM get along.

We are trained and supposed to be going with Swift. Called them, but waiting on a return call.

Headaches?

Altitude changes give me headaches like a day at 7000 say flagstaff then going to 200ft cali and vice versa.

Can heat cause headaches? Air conditioning? The cooler we just got? (only the timing makes me question this...that and the smell of it the first day or two as it cooled down). I'm going on my third night, and my husband his second day, of a near blinding headache that Tylenol barely touches. We aren't dehydrated. We don't have high blood pressure. I'm at my wits end because I can't get it to go away!! Anyone have any suggestions or know of possible causes?

Finally going solo

Gratz, I have a 15 cascadia not a bad ride. Happy to be getting a 2017 kw soon though. Much nicer imo

Got off my trainer's truck a week ago and completed the final evaluation portion of the training yesterday. Me and another guy are on our way to Indiana from Arkansas to get our trucks. He's been assigned a 2016 FL Cascadia and I'll be getting a 15. Looking forward to going home for a few days then getting out there on my own.

Anyone in Texas?

Was in tx 2 days ago. Now i80 omw to Reno.

We aren't due at the receiver until tomorrow at 3:30 pm. smile.gif

Swift - Lewiston Idaho CDL school.

Not updating.

Wanting to bet my cdl

Most of the companies that train just give you a "loan" swift is $3900 for 17 days of school and 500 for hotel. You provide your meals after day one. Once you graduate you pay back $75 a week for 13 months for 3900 but if you tool the hotel you pay back $92 a week for 13 months. If you stay 26 months they pay you back the money you paid them for training so it's "free"

Swift - Lewiston Idaho CDL school.

Delete this thread to remove my name from post please I will redo it.

Sleeping in the truck without being bothered?

Earplugs or earbuds with soft nature sounds or a creek. Then sleep with one of those mini bats that are heavily weighted at one end. Sleep with peace in mind. I would prefer a 45ACP but with all the crazy ass random stupid laws out there unless you know your lane its hard to carry perfectly legally. Need to know laws in each state you pass through and whether your CWL works there or not yadda yadda.

If you cant stand stuff on your ears get one of those mini fans that clip on to things and run it on high at night near you to drown out sounds. I sleep like a baby anywhere I go because I take a loud fan. Not on the road yet but I will have a small fan and will make sure its a nice loud Brmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol.

The hum of a fan should help anyone sleep and avoid hearing background nuisances.

Yeah i sleep with a fan on at home but not to drown out noise I use it to make noise because it's too quiet. For protection i have a 24" steel breaker bar that would break some bones easily. And i'll keep a spray bottle full of bleach in case someone breaks in. I'll blind the f'er before i crack him with the breaker bar.

Hahaha the blind the mfer with bleach first made me laugh extremely loud. Fans kick assume I might have to go get a little one for my hotel room because it's way to silent in here!

Swift - Lewiston Idaho CDL school.

Just remember, Noob, you will probably get really really frustrated with backing the trailer, and maybe the Hours of Service. Take your time, focus on what you need to do. Remember, 18 million US truck drivers had to do this and they are on the road now.

If I could "like" your posts I would. It's nice seeing helpful replies. Over at the other forum people just belittle you or rant about how bad swift is when they never even drove for them :).

Im sure I will get frustrated at back and hos. Never really backed up trailers at all. Just once when I hauled a 6x12 uhaul so this should be fun and nerve racking and probably every emotion we experience haha. I'll leave the thread until tomorrow and update after day 1.

New DOT Medical Exam Forms - Let's Get EVEN MORE COMPLICATED.

Even if you have had past issues no one can access that information without you first physically signing medical release forms. Not even the military can dredge up old medical until you sign a release allowing them to pull it.

It's no one's business if you have anxiety or depression honestly who doesn't have either? Humans have emotion and some days you can be great some not so great. Unless you feint while driving or need 8incheck think glasses or are criminally insane none of it matters in my opinion.

Swift - Lewiston Idaho CDL school.

I should be able to update daily unless totally wiped out tired. I'll do my best :)