Comments By Joe W. ( aka hharleywood)

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/bigrig7.jpg avatar

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Schneider and may questions

I'm also going to TDI but in Indiana. Start May 2.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Well I'm screwed.

I agree with old school, check western expreas. They seem to be a second chance company. And old school seemed to do great with them to start out. I'm actually looking at them to star me out, since they have recently raised their pay to b e competitive in the industry for Newbies. And their pretty close to home for me, so I should be able to get a regional gig there.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

99 Years Ago

Lol... I got my grandkids to ask grandma what dinosaurs taste like.

rofl-2.gifrofl-2.gif

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Why This Site Is The Best

Serenity, I too stumbled on this site by accident. I was going through the endless negative forums on the internet, but looking for truthful accounts and stories from successful drivers. I was an operations manager for an air freight ground feeder company. ( LTL air freight trucker) ad already knew what I was reading was a lot of BS. Like everyone here says, the companies are not successful by being stupid, or mis-managed. That's an opinion of the failed driver that has time on his hands to botch about how he was done wrong because it was his own Damn fault. I would love to drive for the company that I managed for, but they only employ owner operators. I have absolutely no interest in being an o/o. However I do still have a lot of my old contacts and still know a lot of people in the industry, so once I get my year or 2 of OTR in I will then have options to go elsewhere if I'm not happy with what I'm doing at the time. I have been on this site about 6 months. Lurking mostly, replying and posting some. I just don't feel like I'm qualified to answer a lot of questions that are asked. If I have knowledge of something asked from my past experience I offer that up. Problem is, I got out of the industry in 2004. A lot has changed. A lot was changing while I was still there because of 9/11. So I didn't feel confident answering questions based on me not knowing what exactly had changed. So with that I must say that I have to agree with you. This site is awesome. The best site for anyone trying to break I to the industry because it is all positive and the people are great. Brett does a great job and has put some great people in place as Moderators to keep his site exactly what he wanted it to be. We both ACCIDENTLY found the very best trucking forum on the Internet. Welcome to TRUCKING TRUTH!

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Ducks I a row, time to go

Question! I have read on a lot of posts and diaries that the schools REQUIRE you to apply to X # of companies. Do I have to apply to the companies that they recruit to, or can I use the job site here on TT and show them how many companies that I have applied to? I also have Driver Pulse app, so is that also acceptable? I know I can ask my school recruiter this, but it seems like I would be stepping on his toes. All replies are welcome. Even if it's what I may not want to hear.

TRUCKIN TRUTH, COLD HARD FACTS. That's what I'm here for..

Thanks guys and gals

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Classes start on the 18th.

I'll be going there on May 2. Are you going to do a diary?

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

And we're off!

Santa Fe Springs!! I grew up "next door" in Downey.

Can't say there's much of interest there. Chris & Pitts BBQ is the local go-to for 'Que. SFS is the home of Laura Scudder potato chips. Ms. Scudder was the first to put chips in wax paper bags. You're in the middle of the vast suburbs stretching from Los Angeles to Disneyland.

Enjoy your trip over Cajon pass. (Hint: don't say "ka-john pass", locals will giggle. Say "ka-hone pass".)

I also grew up next door, in Norwalk. And yes the swap meet is the place to go. Used to have some pretty great deals, but I haven't been there in a long time.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Ducks I a row, time to go

TDI seems like a great place to go. Highly recommended on every forum I've visited. If I was going to foot the bill for training, TDI would definitely be my 1st choice.

Thanks CM I did a lot of research on them. They seem like the right fit for me

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Ducks I a row, time to go

Thanks tractor man

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Ducks I a row, time to go

I finally pulled the trigger and will be starting school at TDI in Sellersburg, In. on May 2. Can't wait to get started.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

New guy getting into trucking

I am using a private school called TDI here near Louisville.

I decided to go to this school because a lot of local companies hire out of that school. I also only live 5 minutes from the school.

I honestly had the fear that if I used a company to get my to get my CDL that I could possibly get a bad trainer. I know this is rare but it is mostly a peace of mind thing with me.

Hey Michael C. I am going to TDI in Sellersburg also. When are you going to start? I have a tentative start date of May 2, and am going to see the school on Friday.

What is CWT?

As a moving co. Driver you are required to load/ unload truck. Disassemble/ assemble furniture. Such as beds dressers etc. You will empty the house, then deliver to the new how and put the furniture where the home owners want it placed. If anything gets broke is on the driver. Some o/o's make over 200k a year-long this but it is bust a$$ work for the money. You also pay your helpers cash out of your pocket. The helpers can be written off at the end of the year.

Good cell phone carriers

I have been using Straight Talk,a pre-paid plan available at Walmart. Im currently on AT&T towers. They have a Bring your own Phone plan for $45.00 per month. Unlimited talk, text and 5 Gigs of data. You can use a Verizon phone and stay on Verizon towers. Cheaper than Verizon company plans.

I also use straight talk. On the Verizon network for only 50.00 (45.00+fees) 49.10 a month to be exact, and a lot cheaper than a Verizon phone plan.

Roehl Drivers

Well, I personally am glad Oliver chimed in. After reading all these posts about how well everyone is doing at Roehl, I actually considered it myself. Thank you Oliver, obviously you are right and everyone else must be wrong. Whew, almost blew it.........

Question about western express

TMC loves vets

Distance from terminal

Well that's my dilemma, Errol I haven't eliminated Swift. Thay offer to pay half and let me pay my half in 13 months. Only have reefer otr 1 day home for 7 out min 3 week. Might change and I could take a regional after six months, if one is available. Freymiller offer same otr with more pay per mile. No pay for tuition. Schneider has dedicated regional for team. Offer sign on bonus and tuition for qualified. I get a lot of what is your zip and I'll see if were hiring in your area. Then we don't have anything now but when you get to school, or have your cdl check back. I need to live close to Dallas, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, within fifty miles of Muskogee. I may be checking during a slow time or otr may be where the positions are for my location. Plus plenty of flat bed! Been awhile since Prime and don't remember other than the LW truck. I believe temp control.

I get the same thing. "Call me when you get in school." But everything I see on this site says to contact them before you go. They want you to be in school with an approximate graduation date, which you really can and can't provide before school due to acceptance to the school. I am working with the school now on getting in, have a target start date, but not a definite start date. So, the graduation date is iffy at best right now.

Distance from terminal

My home terminal is in Iowa, and I live in Kentucky. With most companies it really doesn't matter as long as you live in their hiring area and they can reasonably accommodate your home time.

Hi sue, how do you like west side? They keep sending me emails and I like what I see so far. What is their home time.options? I also live in Kentucky. ( And you're right, the BBQ here sucks, unless I smoke my own....lol)

Passed!!!!

In 2007 I drove for Schwans delivering food door to door. It was not a cdl job but the company required the DOT physical. I was put on bp meds to pass the physical for my medical card. Because of being on bp meds, I only got a one year card. This is not new, they have been doing this for years. It's because they want to monitor you more closely to make sure you are under control. No big deal. My meds have Changed twice since then but I've been on the current meds for the past 2-3 years, so I have a history and am not sweating the physical. I'll just have to renew my card every year. My past experience is that the company will MAKE SURE that you have the opportunity to retake the physical when it is needed.

Help! Find company sponsored school

Kllm, Knight, Swift, Cr England also

Tickets

Yes pi is public intoxication. I was completely honest to the exact questions they asked. A lot of them said 3 _ 5 years, some said ever, but I was honest. They didn't say it was my background. They just said "we decided to go with another applicant".