Profile For David O.

David O.'s Info

Fort Myers, FL

Preparing For School

3 years, 10 months ago

David O.'s Bio

Ready to move some freight

Finally headed to school

I was supposed to leave at noon tomorrow, I received a phone call from my recruiter this morning. He says that his supervisor did a final review on my work history, which is admittedly poor. 3 months here; 6 months there, 3 months at the other place.

They want me to get another job and stay there 6 to 9 months and reapply. Is this normal? Are there any other companies with a decent company sponsored program that may overlook this sort of thing?

I may just go get my permit and ride with my neighbor who hauls asphalt in triaxle dumps. Is that a viable plan or will the OTR companies scoff at that down the road?

Thanks in advance.

What Is This Thing We Call Trucking?

I've read quite a few of your posts, old school and I must say I can appreciate your input.

Finally headed to school

I leave Saturday for Prime Inc. company sponsored school.

I've been spending all my free time going through the High Road Training Program, good stuff.

I've packed some clothes for both warm and cool weather and I have the money they said that I will need.

My laptop, tablet, digital camera and usb battery pack are all charged and packed .

I've been eating healthier and working on my stress levels and have brought my blood pressure down to 137 over 85.

Part of me feels I'm forgetting something. Any input please?

Reckless Driving Charge

You should be able to find exact dates and charges via your county website. I was able to save all of my issues on a USB flash drive, that way if I need them, I won't have to search and download and decipher.

Crash

Jeep driver wasn't drunk? I used to live less than 20 miles from there.

27 yr old swm interested in otr

I'm definitely going to do a few home kits and maybe even a full lab sample before I go apply anywhere.

There's an outfit locally called LabCorp, I think it's under $80. If that's what it takes to avoid a 5 year problem, then that's what it takes. They say 3 months on hair, so I'm thinking I'll shave in two months then wait 3 more. I should be thoroughly upset with the Florida sun by then. My current job sucks in the summer especially, so I'll be ready to leave this chapter behind.

Thanks everyone for the input, in the meantime I'll be working on customizing my Atlas, studying the high road and minimizing my belongings to obtain a storage unit and ditch the room I've been renting.

My mom is going to kill me for making her watch my dog for weeks at a time, but I'll finally be able to buy her that fence for the back yard.

Induction burner: Experience, suggestions, recommendations

My FarberWare air fryer says 1400 watt on the spec tag. It has a mechanical timer, so I would say it should be fine even on a cheap inverter assuming the unit is large enough.

I have a 750 watt with 1500 watt peak, so I doubt I can use mine.

27 yr old swm interested in otr

Great advice folks, thanks.

I quit the weed for roughly 4 years along with booze and adulterous activities. As one could imagine, I got bored. I picked the booze back up to drop the greens but then I was even more bored since there's no chance I'll ever drive drunk. Clean again, at least until I can find a lady who I can deal with?

I'll go buy some tests on pay day and try them weekly. After a couple cheapies come negative I guess I'll get a hold of the local testing facility?

27 yr old swm interested in otr

I hadn't really thought about doing it on my own, I was thinking it's difficult to find a job or even a truck to use for the test?

Induction burner: Experience, suggestions, recommendations

I'm not otr yet, but I use my "air fryer" daily. It has a basket similar to a deep fryer but uses no oil. French fries come out like they're baked, but crispy.

27 yr old swm interested in otr

I joined this site a couple of years ago. I somewhat disregarded some important comments about my road attitude (speeding) and pretty much gave up when the recruiter I spoke with said they like a year of clean driving.

I think I'm now ready.

I have been reading through some posts by people in similar positions but am hoping to get a review on my specific situation.

It's been well over a year since my last speeding ticket. 1/30/2016 I was involved in an accident, 100% fault other party. Approximately three weeks ago I quit recreationally using Marijuana.

I have roughly two years experience driving 1 ton straight trucks 14-24 foot and three months experience driving a 25,500 gvw 21 foot roll back tow truck with air brakes.

I have never driven or even ridden in a truck larger than that tow truck.

I'm thinking I should wait a couple more weeks on the drug test, which will give me time to study the material on this site, minimize my belongings/ find a storage unit and sell off two of my three cars.

Any input will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Settled on a tow truck job, for now.

I've been looking into a truck driving career for a couple years now. I had a couple speeding awards in 2015 so I deserted the idea for a while.

Two weeks ago I finally got a call back on my childhood dream job, driving a roll back for a garage that does 25 AAA calls a day with three drivers.

I'm currently in a ten year old Hino 258 with almost 400k.

The truck is have 26,000. 19.5 wheels and air brakes are some of the goodies in this weight range.

Is there anything I should be doing while working this job to ready myself for a career in otr trucking?

Inexperienced 26 yr old male interested in company sponsored otr trainining

Errol, one of the two speeding tickets I have had in the last four years has stuck.

What I mean is that the other was "withheld adjudication" which is basically not guilty.

The one they did stick was a ninety in a seventy so you may be right.

Philly fan, the poster chart thing sounds like a great plan. I tend to get a little confused on fine detail comparisons.

I guess top criteria should be leniency towards speeding, time until I can bring my dog on board and type of trailer/materials.

Flunkie, I was really leaning toward flatbed, I may even try to get into drop decks or something so I can capitalize on my heavy equipment mechanics training.

I'm not afraid of work, I actually think it would be nice to get the blood pumping.

I really appreciate everyone's input, it's great to have questions now instead of making a wrongfully informed choice.

Inexperienced 26 yr old male interested in company sponsored otr trainining

I am more interested than ever in driving otr. It's been over a year since that 20 over I previously mentioned so I'm thinking about making some phone calls Monday.

I have a dog that I would have to be able to take with me. Other than that, I don't have many other requirements.

Can anyone give me a short list of companies who pay for training? I live in Florida but am open to relocation.

Thanks guys.

Inexperienced 26 yr old male interested in company sponsored otr trainining

David,

The recruiter I spoke with at prime said they like to see at least a year of safe driving after a 20 over violation.

That particular incident was March of 2015. Realistically 3 months of researching and training via this site and hopefully a couple of ride alongs with a couple truck drivers I know could do a lot for my piece of mind.

I tend to jump into things a little too fast and although I may be able to find a company to hire me now, they may not be my best option overall.

I haven't seen anything so far that would make me want to avoid Prime, but quite a few things seem very attractive. Dog rider, reputable company training, relatively new equipment.

My next plan of attack is to see if there are any local heavy equipment companies who may want to hire a part time operator/ part time mechanic/ part time driver. I have always been envious of the truck drivers, but the yellow iron is a lot of fun as well.

Inexperienced 26 yr old male interested in company sponsored otr trainining

So, I've made it to page 35 of Brett's book and done a chapter of the high road training. I would just like to say, amazing resources!

I still think I'd prefer flat bedding but I guess I'll just have to wait and see what's available that makes the most sense for me.

Thanks for your responses, I'll check back in when I'm a little closer to meeting you guys out on the road.

Inexperienced 26 yr old male interested in company sponsored otr trainining

So I did some research on my record. Apparently, my 90/70 was adjudicated guilty. The recruiter told me that I will have to wait until one year after that infraction.

Somewhat bad news, but it will give me some time to research companies and prepare for the cdl tests.

Be careful about using that CB in some places

The HUD is an interesting idea, They've been doing them in passenger cars since the early 90's. It does require a specific treatment to the windshield though.

About to finish up Psd with Prime!

I'm sorry to hijack the op's post once again, but would it be advantageous to go for a D.O.T. physical before I begin on my adventure, or just leave that for the time when I go for my permit?

Inexperienced 26 yr old male interested in company sponsored otr trainining

I have been wanting to get into otr for several years, mostly for the income potential and sightseeing.

My driving record is something I would like some advice on. In the past 2 years I have been cited for 2 separate speeding incidents.

The first was on the interstate. I believe 88/70 plus the officer said I was "following too closely." I took this to trail and the judge "withheld adjudication." I was sentenced to pay the full fines and attend an 8 hour traffic school.

The latest was 62/45 (nighttime speed limit is different than day time.) The officer also tried to charge me with reckless/careless driving which was dropped by the county for insufficient evidence. My attorney was able to have the judge withhold adjudication but I will have to attend a 12 hour driving school.

My record is clean for 2-3 years before these incidents, but littered with speeding tickets and 2 reckless/careless before that clean stretch.

If my record is sufficiently clean to obtain a cdl, I am looking into Prime. They seem to have a reasonable training program available at little cost to the trainee.

I have read some success stories of guys going through training with Prime and they seem to be doing well.

I'm really looking into the flatbed segment. I have several reasons, including my thought that flatbed will have the least likelihood of having to unload.

If anyone would care to weigh in on my thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Dave.