Profile For Daniel F.

Daniel F.'s Info

4 years, 7 months ago

Daniel F.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Missed my orientation date because of bad tires.

So I have 7 months over the road experience... Quit Schneider due to lack of miles ratio to home time ratio. Some of u all know my previous post on here. So I'm on my way to swift orientation last Sunday and get a flat. Buy a new tire and inspect the rest. 5 o'clock Sunday they r closing. Determine all tires are dry rotted. Head back home after talking with recruiter and get another blow out on the way back home. Buy 3 new tires in the morning so now I'm ready to make the trip back next week. Recruiter is being patient and said no problem, rescheduled for next Monday... Got a new verification email but has a lot of x tras from previous email. One being a sign off for picking a trainer. Did I blow this job for a dedicated route by missing the orientation?

Swift dedicated wal mart position... Any one know anything?

Daniel F replies:

The job as I've heard so far consists of slip seating, 6 nights on 1 off, home every night in the Robert, LA area. Job stated drivers make 700 to 1000 a week. I'm set for orientation on the 25th of Jan. up near Dallas for 3 days. Still working on finding out how the job pays...cpm, stop pay, hourly....ect ..e mailed the recruiter today asking for the specifics on that...do I need to get something in writing with them? Also, any idea what to expect from the road test during orientation? How hard is the backing test, and how strict are they...should I double clutch? Any little pointers on these subjects will help....thanks in advance g-town

Daniel, The specific numbers are DC specific, but there is CPM pay that is higher than the base Swift rate due to lower weekly mileage. There is stop pay after the first stop (I average 4 stops per day), dispatch pay (I am doubled 1-2 times per week) and extra pay for spotting WM trailers in the event the dock is full. I average about 1900-2000 miles per 6-day week. The weekly pay is about right for a new driver on the account. As you get familiar with the process, the stores, backhaul vendors, and the DC, you will likely earn more. Find out about safety incentive pay, hey may also have that in their comp. plan. Would not hurt to get it in writing from the recruiter, but it still may vary from reality.

Orientation is nothing out of the ordinary; about a 30-45 minute road test and a sight-side, 75 degree alley back (could be 45, or 90, I split the difference). Make sure you GOAL before you execute the backing maneuver. I would ask the examiner if they are ok with floating gears before you actually try it.

I can go into a whole lot more detail...don't have the time at the moment. Try to find out if it's a grocery or general merchandise account. It makes a difference.

Good luck and safe travels.

Thanks again

Swift dedicated wal mart position... Any one know anything?

Got 7 months OTR experience. Need to be home more often for my family s sanity and mine...lol. So swift is offering 6 days on, home every night, one day off, slip seating. Can I trust them not to try something shady at orientation? I've heard companies try to get you to orientation and then pull the rug out.

Daniel I have been Dedicated WM Grocery for 3 years. Happy to help. What specifically would you like to know?

Swift dedicated wal mart position... Any one know anything?

When I finished my mentor training at Swift, my mentor recommended me for his Georgia-Pacific dedicated account. But the office wouldn't let me do that until I had some OTR experience myself. Don't worry about rugs being pulled. Sure, there may be some misunderstandings, but Swift is pretty straight. It took me about 7 months to move from OTR to the GP dedicated account.

thanks for taking the time to reply...so many horror stories its tough to know what to believe.

BTW, GP goes more or less continuously, but you are planned through your home city on weekends with a 34 hour break. Plus a guaranteed minimum pay. (Somewhere around $735/week, but usually you pull down more than that.)

Swift dedicated wal mart position... Any one know anything?

Second guessing myself

Ever look into Schneider van? They have a much easier orientation and training program that proves very effective.

Can't decide where to start

I was paying 65 a week for medical both me and one dependant. 1200 deductible... So if I wanted to see a doctor they wanted 170 from me till I hit 1200....after the year deductible started again...that was Schneider ..

Quit otr after 7 months

By reading all the feedback here it is helping me decide what to do...thanks for all the input by some and to others if you peace this whole thread from the beginning to end ya just might get what went down. 50 grand in a year would had been great. Most 2nd year Bulk drivers barely made that....I would nt be so negative if the money had been right.

Quit otr after 7 months

Funny how at least 40 went to 32 to 35...oh and how about calculating that 5 grand bonus with your math equations to figure out the miles genius

Quit otr after 7 months

32k to 35k max is about normal for a first year driver with most companies.

Funny how the number s fall during this thread...I'm just bitter. Too much time parked in a truck I guess...and trying to navigate a system set up for a regional operation in an otr position is my guess. Also...that 35 grand was including the 5 grand sign on bonus.

Quit otr after 7 months

Brett, and OS,

It is possible that Dan could very well be a good driver, that unfortunately fell through the cracks, in a division that is already over staffed with drivers for the actual workload. He was probably only asking for a raise, because he was at his wits end, and grasping for solutions to his dilemma. Like I stated earlier, No company is infallible, and it is not alwaysjust the drivers fault. It can be a combination of all the above, and sometimes, god forbid, the company messed up.

Danielsahn most of the time I agree with you...but respectfully not in this case. A really good driver would not allow this to go on for 7 months, no freakin' way. For the most part we are all type A's (A minus in my case), I'd be on the phone with the "Great Pumpkin" himself if I were in Daniel's shoes, WTFing anyone who would listen. This business is not for the faint of heart or passive. Just doesn't work.

Like most everyone on this forum, I could not survive on 350 gross every week. For Pete' sake I made that when I was on my mentors truck for 6 weeks during road training. Something doesn't add up. The fact that he quit without making a serious effort to have Schneider transfer him, leads me to doubt we know the whole story. Schneider knows what is going on in his division, if it was true they would have moved him, no questions asked. He kinda burned a bridge which is the second thing that raises a red flag. Third he quit without having another driving job...a significant no-no in any vocation or career. Far easier to find your next job while you are gainfully employed.

Only Daniel knows the whole story and he needs to very quickly come to terms with reality and make a decision because protracted delay will make it more difficult for him to re-enter the business without taking a financial hit and dealing with re-training.

Ya.well I saw guys asking to go back to training to get paid and get a free lunch again...guys that had been there over a year

Quit otr after 7 months

First of all... I had heard after 6 months drivers get an automatic 4 cent raise. That's all I was asking them...if it was true. Lots of fellow new drivers were under the same impression. No one could answer the question... First I was told yes by dbl that's what he heard too...then he said well only....u know what....just typing this long boring story out ****es me off...2nd of all I wasn't averaging 350 a week, somehow that was misinterpreted. I was on track to hit 35 grand max more likely 32. 3rdly, does anyone think that there might be a problem with a company where 96 percent of their first year employees quit in their first year and not that only 4 % know how to drive a truck safely and make on time deliveries...lol...some of u all can't seem to understand what I'm writing here. I wasn't talking to customers about Schneider.... They were telling me what a lousy company they were when it came to communication.

Quit otr after 7 months

And as far as the other discussion on here...my wife had a stroke... Denied her disability...used to be a nurse...she can't drive in heavy traffic or stand for 4 hours at a time anymore. She would love to go back to work and help out.

Quit otr after 7 months

The oil industry slowed to a crawl...had to make money... Before I lost all my savings. I'm not the type to complain at a system that is failing when there's an option to suk it up or quit. Suked it up for a while.... Then quit. O tried asking about a raise for 6 weeks. Talked to the general manager and was told talk to dbl....talked to dbl and was told to talk to general manager...y would I want to try another division in the same company. That's close to the definition of insanity.

Quit otr after 7 months

It is stories like yours that make me think twice about getting into trucking. I would love to drive but $350 a week won't cut it for me.

Rob, I want you to notice that this is Daniel F.'s first post in here. This industry is tough to break into, we teach people that all the time. We also teach people how to overcome the difficulties and succeed. If Daniel F. had been in here being mentored by the folks in here before and during his initiation into trucking he would have been a lot better off. Everyone keeps wanting to know which company he was with, but I can assure you it has nothing to do with the company. Any trucking company with a driver who is only making 350 dollars a week knows they have a problem on their hands - this business is performance based, and a person who can't seem to get more than 350 dollars a week done is not making anything for the company. I don't know the particulars, but I don't have to - I know that trucking is not for everyone, and I know full well how it works out here. Daniel probably made the right decision because this is probably not the best job for him. We all hate to hear it when people can't seem to make it, but it is very seldom the fault of the trucking company. They will give you the equipment, and the freight, and they will even hold your hand for a few months, but beyond that you have got to prove that you can figure it out and make a go of it.

Daniel had seven months and little progress. I don't accept peoples stories about haggling for layover pay anymore, I've heard too many of these stories and when I get into the details with them it almost always comes down to the fact that the driver did not send in the proper macros at the proper times - there are procedures for all of this stuff, and if you can't follow the procedures then payroll can do nothing about the mess that you make for yourself. When I see people complaining like this about layover pay I have to scratch my head and wonder. I have never wanted any layover pay, my theory is they can keep that money in their bank account, I want to be out there on the road making money. It just takes time and a little bit of truck driver savvy to outsmart the shippers and receivers so that you are not consistently waiting around and choking your paycheck to death by trying to constantly get layover pay.

You aren't even close in your analysis of me..honorably discharged marines infantry, 15 years as a commercial diver...not driver...diver...I've worked harder at my jobs than most and trucking isn't that hard....made my loads on time...checked with leaders between loads...no recordable accidents.....no attitude....always told good job....wish what I was saying about my experience wasn't true....but nice try reassuring brand new guys

Quit otr after 7 months

Sorry to hear about your troubles Dan. I just have a couple questions.

1. Did you request to be moved to a regional, or dedicated division? Or did you have your heart set on driving bulk? 2. Were you late for delivery or pickup? If so, how often? 3. Any reportable incidents? 4. When you talked to your chain of command, were you professional, and respectful? (Whether they deserved it or not)

From what I have heard, bulk division is rough, and "over staffed" with too many drivers for the workload they have. This means you really have to out shine the other drivers. Sell yourself, and work your tail off, so you can show your worth. This is true for any company, in any division, but especially so, in one that is set up like that.

You still have options, though, and don't just give up the otr ones, either. You may find a better fit with one of the many other companies out there.

They did offer regional, but the guys I knew there were doing even worse. I even got offered to moved to van...just had a bad taste in my mouth and quit. Had a stepdaughter leave the house to live with her dad around that time too. Don't know if it was because of me never being around to help out at the house or the arguments with her Mom that occur when money is short. Also...I was on the path to make 35 thousand that year with them...its just not enough when your hardly home. And I was doing well compared to others at the company. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I was always courteous.... Even when knowing malarky was being pumped down my ears. As far as chain of command ......5 dbl assignments in 6 months because the office people kept quitting.

Stay safe

Roehl Company Sponsored Training

Hi guys, I am looking into getting my cdl. I like everything that Roehl is saying about their paid cdl training, but really want some good feedback. Everything I see is over a year old and I would like something a little more current. I am also considering swift. Like I said, I am looking for more current information. Which of these are better? I have no problem getting my permit prior school, as I have had my permit before. Just no truck to get the cdl. I like the paid training and shorter obligation the company that roehl offers, but is it real? I am looking at going in August 2016, due to some personal obligations have, and using my vacation at my current company to get paid even more for training. Any help at all would be appreciated. Brett, old school? Any help here? Thanks in advance.

Hharleywood

Try talking to your local unemployment office and ask if they have any trucking school programs. Many people get theier cdl's paid for by them with no obligations. Best way to go there....free school and no obligations.

Quit otr after 7 months

Well if he did he must had been in the 4%...and maybe lives in his truck with no one to support... Or he wasn't out of reserve...I think I was going to make between 32 and 35 grand for a 12 month period. Take a minimum wage job...work it 12 to 14 hours a day for 6 days a week and your in the same ballpark...I know a guy can make money in trucking....just couldn't make a whole year for so little pay and never being home....thought I could... Tried...and have to figure out what to do next

Who are you referring to?

My bad...lol..Still figuring this site out. Someone said it was odd how I described my otr experience because there is a guy on here who did well with Schneider Bulk..

Quit otr after 7 months