Profile For Philly Fan

Philly Fan 's Info

3 years, 11 months ago

Philly Fan 's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  3 years ago

Co owning a truck forming a partner ship

I appreciate everyones perspective. I was hoping to get a success story mixed in with all the negative aspects. I"ll leave it alone the consensus is its a bad idea.

THanks again everyone Be safe.

Posted:  3 years ago

Co owning a truck forming a partner ship

I appreciate your perspective. I was hoping to get a success story mixed in with all the negative aspects. I"ll leave it alone the consensus is its a bad idea.

THanks again everyone.

Posted:  3 years ago

Co owning a truck forming a partner ship

I don't think Errol was trying to be inappropriate, we really do not do that here. He was just trying to make his point with a bit of humor.(Lots of that here).

tar ba·by nouninformal

a difficult problem that is only aggravated by attempts to solve it.

Noted.

THanks sir.

Posted:  3 years ago

Co owning a truck forming a partner ship

Philly Fan's not sure:

Not sure why you linked a cartoon. Certainly has nothing to do with what I'm asking about. Actually inappropriate.

So you didn't watch to the end? Think you won't get caught up in something it's almost impossible to get out of? (Bre'r Fox and Bre'r Bar are just side characters in this fable.)

True Erol I did not watch the end of the cartoon, didn't make it past ten seconds. I do get what you are saying about getting entangled.

Couldn't you structure it with an end date in mind. Prepare a realistic budget and have a reasonable amount of money invested in a truck after a certain amount of say 3 years, that you both could put money down on your own truck. I'm thinking there may be some solid enough accounts like mail, seaports, milk, fuel or the like that you could budget on. Create a limited partnership.

Regards.

Posted:  3 years ago

Co owning a truck forming a partner ship

Thanks. Didn't realize it would be frowned upon. I guess I could un post it.

No prob. As the thread gets cranking and the discussion gets contentious - the entire thread usually just "disappears".

Rick

So Rick you have been driving for a company for four years you have never "day dreamed" about being independent and how to get there? Your profile says your in training. LOL I guess everyday is a training day for us drivers. Be safe sir.

Posted:  3 years ago

Co owning a truck forming a partner ship

Little word of warning o/o and leasing is a taboo on here. I learned the hard way lol.

Thanks. Didn't realize it would be frowned upon. I guess I could un post it.

Posted:  3 years ago

Co owning a truck forming a partner ship

While Old School gathers his thoughts, here's mine:

A trucking job produces a livable wage if you drive full time. If you work your 7-on/7-off plan, by definition you'll be making half that. So those in-between gigs need to be pretty good.

There are some companies that offer that schedule, but, again, you're looking to make $15-25k in a year.

Also, the joys of owning your own truck can be discussed somewhere else. Starting out as an Owner/ Operator reminds me of Bre'r Rabbit and the Tar Baby.

Thanks though for the other advice. So no one has been successful working this type of partnership.

Posted:  3 years ago

Co owning a truck forming a partner ship

Thanks old school, just trying to avoid trolls. Reply how ever you wish.

Posted:  3 years ago

Co owning a truck forming a partner ship

Hello Drivers,

I am interested in anyone's opinion about co owning a truck. I am not talking about team driving, unless the right load presented itself. I am speaking about driver A drives 7 days Driver B drives 7 days, while driver A/B enjoys home time and possibly has a part time gig to pad the expense account. An escrow account is agreed upon to provide for repairs, and protect each other from worst case scenarios. A rock solid agreement, with everything communicated and considered to be successful. A lawyer would draw it up and kept on retainer of course. A gentlemen's agreement. After a certain amount of time (5 yrs maybe), with enough resource (escrow) the partnership is dissolved so that both drivers could go truly independent with their own (owned bought) trucks. Or the agreement continues if everything is going smoothly and renewed for one/two years extensions.

I live in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania about would be glad to kick this idea around over coffee if you local.

Of course I know this would be difficult but I am sure it has been done. I am not naïve to the risks. I am looking only for positive feedback here, anything is possible type of attitude.

Thanks drivers

I been looking a Maverick

Solo he is awake and in the passenger seat the whole time

Auto handles steep inclines in 9th at around 45 mph Patience and hazards help haven't done any monster hills yet

Full condo

I been looking a Maverick

I am with my trainer right now in week three. My trainer has been very patient and professional. Maverick has been great. I can give you details of my experience so far. Do you have concerns? I will be with the glass division.

Swift physical?

I went through Maverick orientation recently and you get a new one done during their orientation. It was a smooth process.

How I Managed to Get An Extra 535 Miles On A Load

Patience and understanding go a long. Some of the greatest advice was "Calm Wins". Always. s You should change your to title to "Old Wise One". Your posts are so valuable.

Thanks.

Well I'm screwed.

DId you sign up for a Driver legal service at orientation? Would they help in this situation? I signed up and hope never too have to use it. But am curious if they would help with this tragic story.

Pre Aps

Hello Joe,

My first two weeks at Sage school I created a list of all the companies I was considering, my list was eight companies. I created a poster board chart, with companies down the left, benefit categories across the top. I called and pre applied and talked to all of them at lunch, on break and in the evening. My last week I narrowed it down to two, then chose Maverick. Maverick has been very good to me, I have no complaints.

They have a Glass division, Flatbed and Temp control. My trainer was from NY so I think you could sign onto the Glass division which has dedicated and OTR. You can call Marshall who is a recruiter and give him my name. Glenn Minnick. He was very honest and could help you. If you have any questions about the training and orientation at Maverick I would be glad to describe my experience.

Hope this helps, good luck friend.

Glenn

Inexperienced 26 yr old male interested in company sponsored otr trainining

I drive for Maverick OTR Glass. I just recently went through training it was a good experience. They have flatbed which I will occasionally do when there isn't a Glass load. I do get paid for dead head miles. Maverick has been very professional and a good choice on my part. When I was deciding I created a poster board with companies down the side and categories across the top and then I called each one.

You could call Maverick recruiting and ask for Marshall give him my name as a referral. He was very helpful and honest.

Hope this helps good luck friend.

Glenn.

Looking for insight.

Maverick has a dedicated Glass division. They are very family orientated and try their best to get you home depending on the division you choose communication and positive understanding attitude go a long way.

I paid out of pocket and now maverick reimburses me $100 per week for as long as I work for them. No contract.

They do have a school but there is a waiting list. I did not go this route, I wanted to start making the money.

Call Marshall at the recruiting and give him my name Glenn Minnick. He can answer any of your questions. I can also give you more details of my experience.

Good luck friend.

Glenn

Looking for insight.

They Call me Dave,

They call me Glenn, I am 45 and was in just about the same position as you 4 months ago. I went to Sage CDL school through a technical school, paid out of pocket which lasted about six weeks in Allentown Pa. Sage school. CDL school is manageable with a calm confident attitude. I passed and then choose TMC because of the home weekends and tuition reimbursement. TMC has 13 speeds and I did not do well and was not offered a job at the end of two weeks of orientation. TMC is no nonsense and not interested in helping you along if you struggle. So my second choice which should have been my first was Maverick, Maverick has been excellent! Professional attitude great safety and very driver friendly. I am almost done my time with a trainer, it is going well I feel confident they will give me keys in about a week. I am going to be with the Glass Division, which is not available to everyone depending where you live. They do have dedicated out of Corisicana I think. Glass pays 45 cents to start. They also have flatbed and Temp Control Division. I can answer anyone questions about Maverick. I look forward eagerly to being with them a long time. Private Message me and I can give you more details. Maverick has been a great decision for me.

Good luck Friend.

Glenn

Does not advancing out of orientation effect your DAC and going to another companies orientation.

So completed Maverick orientation, what a difference. Totally professional and welcoming, things happen for a reason I am glad I ended up with Mavericks glass division. If anyone is considering Maverick I would be glad to answer any questions you may have. I am presently in a truck with my trainer, day 10 things are going well. Glass pays really well and is somewhat easier than flatbed. Sometimes the trailers are preloaded and if not you mostly tarp inside the plant. I have 11 more days at a minimum so if all goes well the earliest I can be back at Little Rock to eval out would be the 22nd. Living with my trainer has been a challenge. Patience and understanding go a long way.

TMC said I could come back in six months. I am almost certain I will not return, I appreciated the culture there and how on point they are but to be honest, there were way to many instructors there that have forgotten what it is like to be completely new at something. There were also some that were also absolutely outstanding. The older we get the harder it is to learn new tricks, I put a lot of pressure on myself because of my family and finances. I was not able to relax in the truck with their road instructors. One sat in the seat with his arms crossed the whole time like he was being tortured, (maybe he was with my shifting) would it have killed him to appear like he was interested in my success. Would one compliment have helped me relax...maybe. I really wanted to tell one of them where to go but didn't, I remained a good student throughout and came up short at the end. I do see it as their loss because I am determined to succeed. I realize also now I should have went with my first choice and been patient until they were ready to take me. Because I went to TMC and was not hired I lost out on my tuition reimbursement with my next company. Lesson learned be certain with your decision and set yourself up for success and relax. Easier said then done for some of us.

I am set up with Maverick temp control with the understanding that I can transfer to the flatbed division or glass in the future. I hope this is true, the recruiter Marshall was real helpful each time we talked. My heart is set on flatbed for the extra work involved, to break up the driving hopefully over time their flatbed division expands to include my area I am just outside of it now in Allentown PA. I realize there are other flat bed companies but they all have manual transmission and while I'm not scared I may be scarred by the 13 speed experience. I can't afford to screw it up again.

I leave out Friday and start orientation on Sunday morning. Thanks everyone. I hope to keep posting.