Comments By The Chad

https://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag255/whodat3021/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-09/396B3C01-A75F-4E9F-AF55-DAA9D1E27A13_zpsubgyzpm8.jpeg avatar
  • The Chad
  • Comments:

Starting my career soon with Stevens Transport March 2016

The info I posted is for Stevens Transport, they haul refer loads. Main terminal is in Mesquite (Dallas) TX. Besides having their own driving academy, they do bring in students from other schools...so I think we are taking about the same company. They are good, just the their academy didn't work for me, so I'm with PAM.

PAM Transport - a new beginning

So far my time with my trainer has been great, drove 9.5 hours (582) miles yesterday, had short drive today, load is due tomorrow morning. My trainer has me double clutching still, because that's what we have to do to get upgraded to a 1st seat driver. Seen some amazing parts of the country already, and although the weather is warm it's been sunny. Gonna do a little night driving tomorrow, so that will be a challenge. Until next time...

Starting my career soon with Stevens Transport March 2016

It's a god company old salt, my brother is finishing up his training with them in a week, I think you will be better off going through your college. They have their academy, but I felt limited seat time and my nerves cost me with them. Good luck

Starting my career soon with Stevens Transport March 2016

So I'm new here. Got accepted to Stevens school through Ranger college. Looking for helpful info. Any info is appreciated . Thanks

Are you going to the main terminal in Dallas?

PAM Transport - a new beginning

I will probably go to local school part time and go from there.

Make sure they get you a job lined up, and it is a good school. I've met some people that went to school and it took them a while to line up work

PAM Transport - a new beginning

Cool, glad it's going well. Good luck!

Thanks, are you still considering a company?

PAM Transport - a new beginning

Orientation was mostly a lot of paperwork. We did have some "classes" with tests that followed. It wasn't difficult as long as u payed attention, plus you could use notes. The class gets split into two groups, so day 1 group 1 is inside and group 2 is outside on the range do skills tests (straight and 45 backing). The next day group 2 is inside and 1 is outside, and we swap untill Friday. Everyone is in class Friday. PAM serves lunch everyday and you also get $25 a day for spending money for dinner....eat cheap and save it!

The hotel is really nice, they serve breakfast in the morning and have a heated swimming pool AND sauna.

Friday of orientation week is when you will find out where you will go to meet ur trainer. New drivers will go to one of the 4 PAM yards in Irving, Tx; Little Rock, Ar; North Jackson, OH and Tonitown, AR. You will wait there in a local hotel until it is time to meet your driver. Some people wait 1-2 days, and some wait 10 days. I have been sitting here at the Days Inn in Irving since the 21st, I have to wait until the 30th!! wtf.gif

You will train for about 2-3 weeks and then go back to one of the 4 yards for your upgrade test, which includes a 70 question general knowledge test, backing test, and a road test.

PAM really wants its new drivers to be team HazMat drivers for at least 6 months. You get a lot better pay, if you do end up solo the pay is a little lower than some other companies, but hey, we gotta get that year somehow.

Once I get on the road with my trainer I will post regular updates from the road...until then.

PAM Transport - a new beginning

Oh boy I hit the lottery!! After the two day bus trip from hell I lucked into my own room! dancing.gif

The hotel has an indoor pool/ jacuzzi and this awesome bed: truck driver hotel room at company orientation

This week is off to a good start!!

PAM Transport - a new beginning

Thanks to that accident I now have an 8 hour layover in Texarkana, AR. I'm so tired, want to be done with this trip already 😕

PAM Transport - a new beginning

37A42AFB-F78E-448E-8D62-391D4336BA19_zps

PAM Transport - a new beginning

On what was supposed to be a Greyhound bus, but what ended up being some cheap version. Staring down the barrel of an 18 hour bus ride from hell. No wifi, no charging station, no book (because Greyhound said their busses have these things, and I thought "heck yes! movies and games, this won't be bad...wrong)

So now I have to ration battery power like a stranded man on a desert island with little food and water. What's worse is that this bus is the longest leg of my journey, then in Dallas I change busses. I pray that the promises of wifi AND charging capabilities along with more comfortable seating will come to fruition.

But while I *itch and complain I remain optimistic that what lies ahead of me is the reason I am on this bus. Freedom, independence, the countryside and highway as my office, and of course the money will be good. I understand a driver's first year is the lowest paying and hardest, but I love a challenge and the future looks bright!

Orientation is 4 days, then a first paycheck, and hopefully the Monday following next weekend I am on the truck learning to be a professional truck driver.

Now as I write this, my bus has come to a complete stop because a truck has rolled over on the highway...

Got My CDL....finally!

Where is orientation? Isn't PAM in Arkansas?

Yes, it is in north west Arkansas, by bentonville

Got My CDL....finally!

Congratulations Chad, best of luck as you continue into your road training phase. Safe travels.

Thank you, can't wait to get started on the road....not looking toward the 18 hour ride on the grey dog.

Got My CDL....finally!

Way to go. Best of luck in the new adventure and let us know how it's going.

Thanks, and yeah I will keep everyone updated

Got My CDL....finally!

After a 3 failed attempts for the road test at Stevens Transport, I signed up for PAM through Driver Solutions and attended C1 Driver Training in Fort Worth, TX and passed my road test on the first try. C1 is a quality school and the people really try their best to get you all the knowledge you need to succeed. Start orientation with PAM on 5/16 and I am really excited to get on the road and learn the ropes.

See y'all on the road!

Promissory note Problems

Putting a comment just to get this to the top of the heat, so I can get more input. Thanks

Alaska?

Glad to hear PAM goes to Alaska, I'm training for them right now

Promissory note Problems

Thanks everyone, I guess I will just make small payments to keep them off my back

Promissory note Problems

I'm a bit confused to be honest. The promissory note is based upon you completing their program and becoming an employee. I wouldn't think they could hold you accountable of you never went to work for them.

If you don't make it through the school, you don't have to pay the $3800. But you have to pay them back for meal money, and the hotel. For me that is $800, and I will pay it back, but I have no income to pay now. And they are threatening to file some complaint on my DAC. As soon as possible I will pay it, but I gotta get through school and OTR training.

Promissory note Problems

So I failed my road test 3 times with Stevens Transport, and now a prommissory note that I signed has been referred to a collection agency. The agency is is threatening to file a complaint on my DAC REPORT and something with DOT. The agency said that the complaint would cause problems with me getting loads because of an issue with bonds on the load being expensive, and maybe my license too!

Can this really happen, or is this guy using a scare tactic to get me to pay a debt. I paid $25 to get him off my back for a few weeks, but I know more calls are coming.

The thing that angers me the most is that they would do this over a $800 debt. I told the agency I have every intention of paying, but I am training with PAM now, and I got two more weeks of school, and then I'll be working. Right now I have NO income.

If anyone knows a concrete answer on this I would appreciate it. Unfortunately I don't want to take a chance of affecting my DAC negatively, but at the same time I would rather pay this when I am making $$ rather than deal with it during my training pay.

Thanks 😟