Comments By Yep

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-highway.jpg avatar
  • Yep
  • Comments:

Driving between midnight and 6:00 a.m. and stay awake

I forgot to add that you may want to consider eating rather than drinking coffee. Pilot has single serving coffee pouches you can buy. Cut one open, dump the grounds into some hot cocoa/soda/water or con sume it raw. The cafeen kick will be a bit stronger.

Driving between midnight and 6:00 a.m. and stay awake

You need to keep your mind active. Eating, puzzles, engaging radio and talking are all helpful in keeping your mind occupied. Besides humans being diurnal there is also flat out more to see during the day. Thus your mind stays occupied.

Sense much of the radio I listen too during the day are reruns at high i usually opt for real estate/business podcasts and writing stories via dragon naturally (just got my first paranormal trucking story published on Kindle under the name Mace Valens.)

Another thing you need to remember is that your shift is 14 hrs long. So if you use the entire thing up, you should have 1-3 hrs of available nap time. Company don't like it? Well theres always swift, prime, Schneider, ups, con way, old dominion, interstate, dot...

PS Trucking - OTR Drivers in Oregon

Hmmm.... start running local out of The Columbia River Gorge, home daily with 2 days off a week (60 hr clock) and then maybe ill consider. Untill then i will keep planning my move to the tanker division. the gorge could definably use some local jobs so i dont have to choose between OTR and moving to the Portland area.

Orientation with STI, TWT, JJW.

System Transport Inc (national flatbed), TW Transport (11 western reefer [thus far i have only done the I5 corridor and 2 trips to ID.]) and James J Williams (WA&BC tanker primarily.) are technically all the same company. STI is the parent company and controls the other two as well as a driving school. with any luck i plan on transferring to JJW some time before April. Sense there is almost no info, that i could find, on STI I will be writing down my orientation experience as a simple list. the fact that i spent most of 4 days cooped up in a small room kind of precludes me from doing this like the Prime Inc thread i started over a year ago. (good lord, ive been doing this or almost 2 years. boy how time flies when your not having fun.)

any how, enough of my complaining!

Day 1 Filled out paperwork.

open book test from DOT book.

pee test.

short semi drive test.

written drive test.

lots of safety videos.

work physical (there are 3 tests you may take and each pertains to your chosen division. if you desire you may choose to take the flatbed test. as the hardest it qualifys you for all 3 divisions. the hardest part of it is picking up the fully rolled tarp which is suppose to be around 90lbs.)

day 2 pay roll info.

Open Road Driving Plan (this is a legal service you may enroll in).

talk about CSA scores.

Flue cards info.

hazmat test.

pretrip class.

safety trip test.

back health class.

customer specific training class.

poor weather class.

smith system class

day 3 smith system drive.

DEF video.

anti roll system class.

more smith system APU class.

accident class

day 4 sign paperwork.

qualcomm class.

meeting pertaining to company division (TWT for me).

They were suppose to be lists!

Orientation with STI, TWT, JJW.

any how, enough of my complaining!

Day 1 Filled out paperwork open book test from DOT book pee test short semi drive test sign up for medical and dental written drive test lots of safety videos work physical (there are 3 tests you may take and each pertains to your chosen division. if you desire you may choose to take the flatbed test. as the hardest it qualifys you for all 3 divisions. the hardest part of it is picking p the fully rolled tarp which is suppose to be around 90lbs.)

day 2 pay roll info Open Road Driving Plan (this is a legal service you may enroll in) talk about CSA scores Flue cards info hazmat test pretrip class safety trip test back health class customer specific training class poor weather class smith system class

day 3 smith system drive DEF video anti roll system class more smith system APU class accident class

day 4 sign paperwork qualcomm class meeting pertaining to company division (TWT for me)

PRIME - Northeast regional vs OTR, the positives vs the negatives

Most people do not want to drive in the north east. Due to being one of the oldest parts of the US it is the least developed for semi access. The west has tons of space. the east, not so much.

Anyone knows a good company to work for?

I can advise Prime Inc based out of Springfield MO. For the new guys they allow reefer and flatbed. Did my intro year with them and only have one major issue. If you prove to be a good driver, they will run you into the ground. Of course if you don't prove to be a good driver they may just not send you any miles period. Over worked or no work. Most of my paychecks came to a net profit of $700-$900 doing reefer.

Prime inc questions

Hey how long is prime inc training total? Also when do you exactly get home time ? Is it after all the training or after the three weeks. I live in tx school in mo. 9 hours from here. Please help me out thanks

Psd is 2+ weeks. Tnt is as long as it takes. Likely wont go home prior to the second week of tnt.

I survived NYC

1404351948.5135.jpg

I'm sure as far as NYC goes I got off easy I only went to JFK airport but I got the extra pay anyway. Heavy traffic and construction was expected but people using the shoulder as a regular lane was a little weird. I don't think the extra $50 makes up for all the time spent in traffic not getting miles but it's better than nothing.

Lol, went through there in November on a Sunday morning at around 0100. Wasn't much better. And I thought Chicago was bad. Always good to add more xp though.

So much for prime.

No more long haul for me, looking for a local driving job. On the last few loads to slc then its greyhound home. Thus far I've applied to con-way, fedex, old dominion and a few farming co-ops. Tried ups but they wont take me till Dec due to an accident. I've got thing I want to do that long haul just does not allow, but I'm willing to take a pay cut. Be safe out there!

Rookie on Backing Up. HELP!!!!

1. Remember you need to turn the wheel before it gets to the point you want it to be at. It takes time fore the trailer to respond.

2. if people get in a hissie fit, consider showing them your four-figure-minus bird.

3. Dont wing it, plan it out ahead of time.

Got Beard?

Got Beard?

Yes I do and its about to go bye bye. Stopped shaving my first week at Prime, 1 week from a year ago. Looking for a job that has more home time and free time. Figure it will be best to shave this poor excuse of a beard off prior to doing any more interviews. Had an interview with MBI energy services in ND over skype, thinking the shaggy hair may have been part of the reason I got a no hire. Website said they have a no facial hair policy.

Choose Prime over Swift

I have some new info for all of you. I started TnT in August and started solo in November. Not sure exactly from which point Prime times this, but I have been given a 1cpm raise. I now make 0.35cpm.

Additionally, I have participated in two prime programs. The driver health and fitness program and dedicated driving.

First, The Driver Health and Fitness Program is a onetime only $300 program meant to keep you health. It lasts for 13 weeks with weigh in dates on the 4th, 8th and 12th weeks. All 4 weigh ins are done on the road. The only time you HAVE to go to a terminal, Springfield or Pittston is for the orientation. The orientation is a one day event where they explain the program and give you your supplies. The supplies consist of, at the time of my joining, an armband, collection of books & DVD and a watch. Along with the supplies you are told the basics of the program and how you will be interacting with your trainer. the point of the trainer is to advise you on how to make your diet healthy and suggest which exorcises you should be doing. For the diet you are essentially left to your own devices. They will suggest carb/fat/protein amounts but the food choices are your own. As for the exorcises, they are primarily endurance based, which I personally hate. Again, like the diet, you decide what you will be doing so long as it gets you to your target heart rate. For me, I choose to use a thi boxing routine designed by Bass Rutten. You however may choose, walking, running or anything else that gets the heart rate up.

Now for dedicated driving, currently I am working out of Olney IL at the Wal-Mart DC. I believe this Is what is meant by LTL. Here my job is to take a load to 1-4 stops per shift. At each stop, Wal-Mart or Sam’s club, I go on to the dock and count each pallet that comes off. Unlike OTR you have to be on dock to count the pallets and to remove their tracking stickers.

To get a dedicated position you apparently have to live within 25 miles of the DC. However, I asked about Olney IL and Shelbyville TN. There are additional dedicated positions, but I have no idea if they have the same requirements. I just know that if I decide to stay here, I will have to relocate from Oregon. For now I am just helping out.

Pay wise you do seem to make less money. This past pay period I made roughly $470 before taxes. However, that was only 4 days of work. The rest of my pay check was OTR on my way to Olney. This next week will be a full 7 days. Also, you are paid on a sliding scale that ends at 250 miles round trip. At that point you will make $96 preload. After 250 miles you will go back to the OTR pay rate, of roughly $0.40cpm, with no per dium.

Thus far it has all been night work, although not very concrete shift wise. By that I mean, I could be leaving the DC anywhere from 1700-2300. For me, this plays hell with my sleep schedule and is a definite advantage of OTR, granted dedicated has far less paperwork. I am the type of person who can sleep for 4-5 hours and then be up for the next 12 fairly easily. However, I don’t know which load I will be getting till the afternoon and that makes it difficult for me to plan my sleep efficiently. Therefore, I am actually finding it harder to sleep doing dedicated. And I prefer night work!

Computers, internet and trucking (Video games)

I'm curious about how you guys find play time?

Surely your not playing every day. I just want to write my stories, play civ4 or total war when I get home, and I never seem to have time. I work 22 hour days, 12 shift & 10 off, but between sleep, eating and working out I am left with no writing time. Some times a shipper/receiver will take their time and I can write but thats rare. And the last restart I had was in February. I also have to take into account that I am just a naturally slow person too. Currently looking in to Prime's dedicated positions in hope that ill have more time.

Need Advice - Application (Can't Remember Stuff)

Do you know the general locations of the places you lived? If so you could possibly use Google maps to locate them. Learn the street names and possibly figure out the numbers. You may also have to use general Dates for your various residences. For instance, I lived in a ladies basement for about 3 months. I don’t remember the dates so I just put down my move in dates for the 15th of the first month and the 20th of the last month. Then just alternate from spot to spot. However, if the company were to catch you doing this, they could decide not to hire you. Prime would be one of those.

As for employment, what did you do during job hunting? Any volunteer work? Schooling?

Got a new scenario for the PROs here. Playing chicken with a train!

Ok, last week I was in Erie PA on my way to a TA after unloading. The rout the GPS chose went through a section of the city with a great many train tracks, one set was not the standard 2 lanes but 4!. And that 4th one was the one that got me thinking. When do you try to beat a train? Clearly you dont. That’s a stupid question. So ill be more precise.

Scenario 1: you’re heavily loaded and just past the point of no return and those red lights with their falling arms start. Should you floor it or hope to god you find a way to stop? (So far I’ve only been to 1 place in the SW where I was going at a pace that would keep me from stopping. so beyond that spot; I think it would be best to do whatever I could to stop)

Scenario 2: you are actively on the tracks, thereare cars ahead that may not be going fast enough for you to floor it across without hitting them {very fast oncoming train and why are you following so close!}. What do you do? (I am thinking your options are to get out and let the train hit your rig, hope those cars speed up or aim for the ditch.)

What is your in truck entertainment for down times?

Down time? What is this of which you speak?

I have audio books and a speech to text program I use to write stories with. Also have satellite radio.

Any OTR trucking companies without trainers?

Don't see any one learning proper backing with out a trainer.

Something that bothers me

I'll add a question to this. At what point is it to bad to drive?

I've driven through monsoon rains in Florida with no issue. Cautiously crossed missive hills& mountains only to find otherrigs in the dditch. Even though I was not sliding. And what about days when you wake up, see nasty snow and ice, to only to have clean dry pavement 5 miles down the road. kind of hard to know the best course of action.

High paying CPM reality?

Once I get going I do 2000-2800. Could do more if I wasn't such a slow person. 0.34cpm + 0.08cpm perdium at my company. Heard of one guy making 0.50cpm but he has been here for over 8 years.